Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bluetooth handsfree?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

pimmo2000
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:38 - 07 Oct 2017    Post subject: Bluetooth handsfree? Reply with quote

First post, new to riding passed my test recently and bought myself a Shiver.

I'm keen to get a hands free for Nav, calls and music. Read about quite a few but been told this is the place to ask all bike or bike related questions .. so which do you guys recommend?

Cheers Smile

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:19 - 07 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: Bluetooth handsfree? Reply with quote

pimmo2000 wrote:

I'm keen to get a hands free for Nav, calls and music. Read about quite a few but been told this is the place to ask all bike or bike related questions .. so which do you guys recommend?

Cheers Smile

Don't hold your breath....

Stalk
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:21 - 07 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because you have passed a test does not mean you can ride a bike. Forget making calls, music and sat nav, concentrate on not getting dead and mastering riding the bike. In a few years when it all becomes second nature maybe consider it then.

You did ask for opinions.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:51 - 07 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There’s also a search option up there

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:33 - 08 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that Cardo do decent kit.

https://cardosystems.com/portfolio-item/scala-rider-freecom-1/

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:08 - 08 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on for the Rainpal Evo II that's about to hit the market.
It will do it all and allow crystal clear vision in the rain too

pimmo2000
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 08:32 - 08 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No multi quote options..

Courier265 wrote:

Don't hold your breath....

Good advice .. that's part of the CBT now .. as well as keep your eyes open and try to stay on the bike.

Stalk wrote:
Just because you have passed a test does not mean you can ride a bike. Forget making calls, music and sat nav, concentrate on not getting dead and mastering riding the bike. In a few years when it all becomes second nature maybe consider it then.

You did ask for opinions.

Actually passing the test does mean I can ride a bike .. kinda the point of the test. How well I can ride however, I'm quite happy taking my time and sitting in traffic for now. I find having Sat Nav directing me means I spend more time looking at the road and feeling the bike, rather than looking for signs and trying to work out where I am. Calls and music are for future use, but I might as well get something that can do it all now.

vice wrote:
There’s also a search option up there

Technology moves on, what was once good will have been replaced and opinions change, I do love how every forum personality type has taken the time to reply.

CaNsA wrote:

I was a click away from ordering that one last night, but figured I would be better asking people in the know .. turns out they don't post here .. apart from you.

WD Forte wrote:
Hang on for the Rainpal Evo II that's about to hit the market.
It will do it all and allow crystal clear vision in the rain too

No sure if this is a standing joke, or these things actually work?

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:57 - 08 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pimmo2000 wrote:
passing the test does mean I can ride a bike ..

It means you can pass a test.

Riding a bike on the road and passing a standardized test are very different.

pimmo2000
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 08:59 - 08 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
pimmo2000 wrote:
passing the test does mean I can ride a bike ..

It means you can pass a test.

Riding a bike on the road and passing a standardized test are very different.

To pass the test I have to ride the bike .. I get the difference between being able to ride and actually being able to ride.

I'm not kidding myself here

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:46 - 08 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just be aware of the distraction problem - especially when taking calls or if you are using it as Sat Nav. It's very easy to spend a bit too long looking at a vibrating thing on your bars...

Personally I use the Interphone MC5 - works well, allows pairing with two devices plus multiple intercoms. I have my phone paired, which also does music & satnav, a Sena SR10 connecting to the permanently mounted transceiver (looks like a second phone to the intercom), and a spare set that Mrs Bamt or Bamt jr use when out with me. A minor problem is that you can't use it whilst charging - so on a full day ride I end up ensuring I charge the helmets whenever we stop for any amount of time (eating, siteseeing, whatever).

If you ride in all weathers then weatherproofing is a real issue. The newer Sena devices look good (SMH10, SMH20 etc), but only claim to be water resistant - and many reviews says that they fail in the rain. I've had a couple of issues with my MC5 - which does claim full waterproofness - but only when I've been lax on keeping silicone grease smothering the connectors.

pimmo2000
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:57 - 08 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:
Just be aware of the distraction problem - especially when taking calls or if you are using it as Sat Nav. It's very easy to spend a bit too long looking at a vibrating thing on your bars...

Personally I use the Interphone MC5 - works well, allows pairing with two devices plus multiple intercoms. I have my phone paired, which also does music & satnav, a Sena SR10 connecting to the permanently mounted transceiver (looks like a second phone to the intercom), and a spare set that Mrs Bamt or Bamt jr use when out with me. A minor problem is that you can't use it whilst charging - so on a full day ride I end up ensuring I charge the helmets whenever we stop for any amount of time (eating, siteseeing, whatever).

If you ride in all weathers then weatherproofing is a real issue. The newer Sena devices look good (SMH10, SMH20 etc), but only claim to be water resistant - and many reviews says that they fail in the rain. I've had a couple of issues with my MC5 - which does claim full waterproofness - but only when I've been lax on keeping silicone grease smothering the connectors.

Awesome stuff, thank you, will look into it.

Appreciate the concern with the distraction, I spend a lot of time on the motorway and see some truly crazy things (in a car) but hadn't until yesterday experienced the sheer contempt for bikers many car drivers have. Speeding up to stop you passing, blocking filtering and sitting on my arse and all that whilst I was riding like miss daisy.

Scary world.

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:31 - 09 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: Bluetooth handsfree? Reply with quote

pimmo2000 wrote:

Cheers Smile

Scala Qz or newer Qsolo, both ideal, and might be able to get a s/h Qz for £60, neither will communicate with other folk, but will seamlessly connect to a smartphone and satnav, they are waterproof too, I'd recommend using in ear earphones that block background noise, as supplied speakers and earplugs will result in a poor quality of sound which will be more distracting.

Landy10
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:33 - 09 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got an AGV Voice kit installed in my AGV helmet and its great, links to everything bluetooth and controls are easy even in winter gloves

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 09 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: Bluetooth handsfree? Reply with quote

Analogkid wrote:

As others have indicated, just don't even think about using one for calls and music any time soon - I suppose I'd reluctantly agree with it for satnav use only...

+1 for Scala kit - there's certainly cheaper around but you won't go far wrong with that. There are lots of models, I have the basic Qz; the more you pay the more bells and whistles you get.

As I had no plans for using my device for any form of comms, I personally wanted one which would work with no microphone attached (I wouldn't be using one and anyway it would be irritating with my flip up helmet). That wasn't too easy; the Qz fits the bill (sort-of), in that with the mic unplugged the waterproofness is compromised and I had to bodge the socket to sort that.

pimmo2000 wrote:
Scala Qz or newer Qsolo, both ideal, and might be able to get a s/h Qz for £60, neither will communicate with other folk, but will seamlessly connect to a smartphone and satnav, they are waterproof too, I'd recommend using in ear earphones that block background noise, as supplied speakers and earplugs will result in a poor quality of sound which will be more distracting.

Actually, I was expecting to be Billy No-Mates with my Qz, but on ride-out a while ago somebody showed me I could link it to his device via Bluetooth (can't recall what it was, but not a Scala). I assume it would only have been 1:1 conversations rather than for group chats -
you'd need the higher-end kit for that. And trouble is, as far as I can see that's only any good if everyone you ever ride with also has Scala gear...

I find the Scala helmet speakers (with earplugs) absolutely fine for Satnav instructions, both sound-wise and for convenience.

SteveSmith
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:59 - 09 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Sena 3S - a good brand but the cheapest one in their range. It does all of the things you want. I mainly use it for Satnav, with the phone in my pocket. That way I'm not distracted looking at a screen, but I get instructions in my ears. It will also do calls, relay voice instructions to my phone (via "OK Google") and play music from the phone.

There are much more expensive models out there if you want to be able to hold intercom conversations with multiple people over longer distances, stream music from your phone to their headsets etc etc.

Steve.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:28 - 09 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

£38 amazon job

I've not used any of the more expensive kits so I can't draw many comparisons, but I've used that one in all weathers for 3 years without any major problems.

Minor issue is that the left ear speaker seems to be louder than the right. Not sure whether its a common problem, but it doesn't bother me...

pimmo2000
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:31 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went with the majority and bought the Cardo Scala Rider Freecom 2 Communication system, will let you know how it goes.

I appreciate the desire to jump on the new kid and point out the dangers of riding, but trust me, I appreciate what the bike is and what it can do it me, as well as the arseholes around. I will not be surpassing my own very limited ability, trying to keep up or playing music whilst I ride.

I want to enjoy riding and stay alive and that takes time.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:32 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pimmo2000 wrote:
Went with the majority and bought the Cardo Scala Rider Freecom 2 Communication system, will let you know how it goes.

I appreciate the desire to jump on the new kid and point out the dangers of riding, but trust me, I appreciate what the bike is and what it can do it me, as well as the arseholes around. I will not be surpassing my own very limited ability, trying to keep up or playing music whilst I ride.

I want to enjoy riding and stay alive and that takes time.

I dread to think what would have happened if I was able to listen to music etc etc when I learned to ride many years ago! Definite potato. Smile

So, good on you for planning to not be tempted by the distractions initially.

Thumbs Up

Nowadays riding is second nature so the background music helps me concentrate. And not having to look out for road signs etc with the sat nav makes it far less stressful when navigating in heavy traffic.

Last edited by Hawkeye1250FA on 13:52 - 11 Oct 2017; edited 1 time in total

The999Kid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:58 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveSmith wrote:
I use a Sena 3S - a good brand but the cheapest one in their range. It does all of the things you want. I mainly use it for Satnav, with the phone in my pocket. That way I'm not distracted looking at a screen, but I get instructions in my ears. It will also do calls, relay voice instructions to my phone (via "OK Google") and play music from the phone.

There are much more expensive models out there if you want to be able to hold intercom conversations with multiple people over longer distances, stream music from your phone to their headsets etc etc.

Steve.

I bought a sena 30K - hands down the best headset ive ever used - better even than a wired system i would say!

called my mate on his bike using it and it was like we were sat in the lounge having chat over coffee! crystal clear audio despite doing 70mph on a naked bike. not even a hint of wind noise!

highly recommended but £££££
NDB 19/10/1989 - 1/11/2010 |Nowhere.Elyseum wrote: I get the distinct feeling that Tim should be our secret weapon for future trolling. I don't know many people that can rip the piss in Iambic pentameter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

raesewell
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:39 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't aware that the 30K was available yet. Where did you get it?

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:52 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aldi do one for about £40...works for me and Mrs up to 1/2 mile as intercom. Sound quality ok. Use decent headphones with phone when on my own.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:17 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing music in my ears was almost the first thing I did when I bought a bike. I might have gone a week using ear plugs .... then the tunes were used while riding. Cool

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:40 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: Bluetooth handsfree? Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
just don't even think about using one for calls and music any time soon - I suppose I'd reluctantly agree with it for satnav use only...

A sat nav is the biggest distraction going....

Far better to listen to music Smile

Personally Having had bluetooth helmets for over 5 years now. Sat nav voice directions (never view the screen), listening to music & making/taking calls makes no difference at all. So long as you remember to keep concentrating on the important things.
Lets face it if you can do it in a car, then a bike is just as easy.

The999Kid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:25 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

raesewell wrote:
I wasn't aware that the 30K was available yet. Where did you get it?

the Netherlands.... Very Happy
NDB 19/10/1989 - 1/11/2010 |Nowhere.Elyseum wrote: I get the distinct feeling that Tim should be our secret weapon for future trolling. I don't know many people that can rip the piss in Iambic pentameter

Ammoman
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:31 - 13 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't understand why you need Bluetooth for sat nav. Just follow what's on the screen. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes . Before worrying about what's in your ears worry more about what's in your eye sight. Welcome Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 186 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2