Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Blackbird - runded outta electricities

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:04 - 08 Oct 2017    Post subject: Blackbird - runded outta electricities Reply with quote

So riding home on Friday an my new (to me) bike died.

Dead battery, stupidly its got a voltage light thing on the dash/ cluster which shows voltage levels (red, amber and green) which i had been ignoring

Got the bike home with a jump start, when I got the bike back battery was showing 11.8v Thumbs Down left it over night on my optimate. just so there is a healthy voltage on the battery

The bike had a new reg/ rec earlier this year an it came with a new spare. Speaking to the previous owner he reckons it the genny/ alternator (which he has offered to go half's on - which is damn decent of him I reckon). The genny was replaced last year as well.

I have left the bike with him as I don't have the time at the moment to strip all fairings off etc.

why do Honda's always have issues with electricals!?!?!?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:33 - 08 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: Blackbird - runded outta electricities Reply with quote

mudcow007 wrote:

why do Honda's always have issues with electricals!?!?!?

Because Honda.

Fingers in their ears ignoring the problem and hoping it will go away.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:39 - 08 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only issue with Honda motorcycles is the reg/rec unit and the stator. The rest of the electric stuff is bulletproof, unlike Italian bikes (for instance), that are mess all over the place.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:50 - 08 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
The only issue with Honda motorcycles is the reg/rec unit and the stator. The rest of the electric stuff is bulletproof, unlike Italian bikes (for instance), that are mess all over the place.

No it ain't. The Blackbird has a well documented issue with the loom neutral junction.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:51 - 08 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's only one model. Razz

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:17 - 09 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you test the windings with a multimeter before stripping half the bike apart and blowing your wad on possibly unecessary work?

If the alternator was replaced last year, it's vanishingly unlikely it's gone again unless whoever fitted it fucked it up.

Reg recs do go. So when you've tested the alternator and found it's perfectly ok, blow your wad on a mosfet reg/rec instead.
https://www.electrexworld.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?WD=cbr1100xx&PN=RR690-Honda-VTR1000-CBR1100XX-VTX1800C-%2ehtml#SID=1031?a1_21RR690

Alternator test in brief:

Unplug reg/rec. Set meter to resistance. Measure the following on the connector block that's connected to the bike.

Equal, reasonably low resistance between any pair of yellows. Open circuit (infinity resistance) between any yellow and the green.

Meter on volts DC: Battery voltage between red and green all the time. Battery voltage between green and black with ignition on only.

Dynamic test with meter on volts AC and engine running (caution, you could get a dunt if you get your fingers in the way). Roughly the same voltage, increasing with rev speed between any pair of yellows. Can be as high as 70v but it's a roughly equal output we're looking for here.

If all that checks out, your alternator is fine.

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:29 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slight update, he has pulled it to bits an has found continuity between 3 wires and earth on stator

continuity between 1-2 2-3 3-1 to earth?

He reckons they should be all open circuit, so looks like the stator windings, although with the bike running its showing 30v
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:57 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There shouldn't be continuity between any of the stator wires and earth. That should be a fully open circuit.

Continuity between a stator winding and earth would imply a short either on the stator itself or one of the yellow wires leading away from it. The last thing is worth a check? I've seen one pinched under a cover/body panel more than once.

There should be continuity (coil resistance) between any pair of coil wires.

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:02 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is the reg/rec Jaws do a mosfet versions here https://www.jaws-motorcycles.co.uk/birdextra.htm#regrec

Both Honda's I currently own have had replacement stators and reg/recs.

Follow Stinkwheels steps and that will help troubleshoot what's gone wrong.

It only takes about an hour or so to replace both stator and reg/rec, just remember to get a gasket for the stator cover.

https://scontent-lhr3-1.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/19424686_811602309011130_8014381946106806272_n.jpg

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:52 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evenin all

Strator (an gasket) were picked up tonight from "Jaws".

fingers crossed its should be fitted tomorrow an ready to rock tomorrow.

It already has the reg/ rec from "Jaws" fitted. hopefully this is still cool

I think i will check over it my self when it back in my shed

ta Thumbs Up

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 08:53 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Test the output voltage when you have the stator changed.

I highly recommend MOSFET reg/recs. They work. I fitted one to my old VFR 750, I bought a second hand one on ebay that was fitted to a Yamaha. Not sure of the current situation, but a couple of years ago there were only 2 or 3 models of MOSFET out there. They used odd fittings, I bought the Triumph connector wires and fitted those to the Honda multi-plugs (bike loom side of the reg/rec connector).
You can remove the spade connectors from a normal multi-plug, just push down on the little tang and slide out the spade connector. Avoids the need for any chopping and soldering.

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:37 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed!

Steady 14- 14.8v under throttle - yay!

Charge light shows green, its never done that Very Happy

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:58 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done on fixing it Thumbs Up
Not so much for ignoring the charge indicator in the first place Neutral

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:00 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you are there, sort the multi point earth aids wiring. Proper crap idea by Honda.

Bikeless
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:30 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a CBR400 gullarm for 6 years and a 95 fireblade for 7 years, didn't suffer with any electrical problems, was i just lucky?

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:53 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bikeless wrote:
I had a CBR400 gullarm for 6 years and a 95 fireblade for 7 years, didn't suffer with any electrical problems, was i just lucky?

I reckon so, I know my bike has already had a Stator an 2 reg/recs. It is on 40k mileage though.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 195 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1