Touring with others?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:15 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You not lacist , you got plenty dollar, me love you long time Thumbs Up *

Two Indian bikes possibly? And a Chinese bike.
Sounds pretty cool Thumbs Up

EDIT:* sorry I was drinking Embarassed

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:18 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A group of us from here have toured together for years.

Numbers are not really a problem, we've had 15 bikes before doing thousands of miles round Europe. You just need to factor in the extra time it takes to fuel up, stop for comfort breaks, eat etc.

The only way it works with a large group is to have one person leading, one permanent back marker and to use the drop off system. Make sure everyone knows what to do, stick to it, and it doesn't matter how far apart you get stung out. Disparity in bike size has never been an issue, whoever is leading just adjusts to compensate.

It does work better if you are all of a similar mindset, so touring with people you already know is a bonus. Some short weekenders away before committing to a full blown tour is a great idea.

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:36 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
A group of us from here have toured together for years.

Numbers are not really a problem, we've had 15 bikes before doing thousands of miles round Europe. You just need to factor in the extra time it takes to fuel up, stop for comfort breaks, eat etc.

The only way it works with a large group is to have one person leading, one permanent back marker and to use the drop off system. Make sure everyone knows what to do, stick to it, and it doesn't matter how far apart you get stung out. Disparity in bike size has never been an issue, whoever is leading just adjusts to compensate.

It does work better if you are all of a similar mindset, so touring with people you already know is a bonus. Some short weekenders away before committing to a full blown tour is a great idea.

Its also nice to have 1 extremely unlucky person in the group, so that all the disasters will only happen to them.

Really cuts down on the stress knowing that its scientifically impossible to break down.

Laughing

noobRider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:12 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aff wrote:

Its also nice to have 1 extremely unlucky person in the group, so that all the disasters will only happen to them.

Really cuts down on the stress knowing that its scientifically impossible to break down.

Laughing

And if you don't know who the unlucky one is, then it's probably you Shocked

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:22 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't do it anymore. Me and the wife go alone. No interest in compromising on anything to do with my bike time. Been there, done that.

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:01 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enduro Numpty wrote:
I just don't do it anymore. Me and the wife go alone. No interest in compromising on anything to do with my bike time. Been there, done that.

Same here.There is no argument about who wants to go where,when,if,but or anything else.I look at the map,suggest a route,Mrs.Fizzer says that looks fun and off we go.Even if we were on separate bikes then we would still ride the same way.

Always have a 'Plan B'

raesewell
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:04 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travelling in groups is about finding the right people, We are off to France later today with a mate of mine and his wife. I don't have to keep looking in my mirror to make sure he is still there, he's just, there.
We have the same metabolic rate so our stops are well timed for all of us.
We ride more or less at the same pace. If you can find this it makes any trip a bit more enjoyable.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:27 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tip? Have one similarly paced wingman who is a mate.

A pair of bikes tearing through the UK/French/Italian/Swiss countryside is a much easier proposition than trying to herd a group of mixed-ability spackers off the net. Half of whom have fucked bikes etc.

I've done thousands of Euro miles with a mate and after a while you mind-melt into a single consciousness of road behaviour; the bikes scything through B-road traffic like two rapid fire tracer rounds. Or something.

Thumbs Up

raesewell
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:33 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do on the odd occasion join groups of mixed ability and in these situations the second man drop off system works OK as long as everyone plays their part and know how it works.

RodYork
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:53 - 15 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my 2 pence worth, based on group riding

1.I prefer group rides, as you can recount the days events and bounce off each other
2.When selecting people for a trip- I insist they tell me what they expect from the trip in terms of distance, speed, stops, accommodation & sight seeing. Filming a trip causes no end of "stop/starts" and can really piss people off- so I make sure that people are aware of it...
3. I should do a shake down ( meet/greet/get to know each others style of riding)- but I deliberately avoid this part, as it adds to the filmed "bedding in"- usually about 4 days.
4.At the end of every day, I insist everyone talks openly and honestly about what they like/don't like about others. I also demand that bills paid are settled on a daily basis (ie 1 person pays for the fuel,as its faster, then gets refunded in the evening, as supper is being cooked)-
5.Speed/riding skills of bikers varies tremendously- it is made worse with different powered bikes- by day 4 - a natural group or groups usually appears.
6.I get up quite early, but do not expect others to follow suit. I set a time for departure daily & stick to it- I tend to wake people up with a cup of tea- it sets the day off well.
7.Before any trip- I explain that there will be days where people split up & do stuff on their own- this serves as a great healer & pressure release.
There are other tips I use, but that's basically it.

Based on the above you can watch how stuff unfolds:
https://shaw2shore.co.uk/video-gallery/#bwg2/4

Episode 3 is where we all meet up for the first time:
https://shaw2shore.co.uk/video-gallery/#bwg2/7

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:14 - 16 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RodYork wrote:
At the end of every day, I insist everyone talks openly and honestly about what they like/don't like about others.

I also demand that bills paid are settled on a daily basis (ie 1 person pays for the fuel,as its faster, then gets refunded in the evening, as supper is being cooked)

The public roasting sounds like an interesting addition (not). Just about the last thing I'd want is to sit around with a group of people saying what they don't like about the others. The paying for fuel thing just sounds like an added an unnecessary drama during the day. One person paying for a group of 10 would save a few minutes, probably less than the time it takes to sort it all out later.

Go with people you already know and have already ridden with then you don't have to jump through these hoops.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:30 - 16 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RodYork wrote:

Sounds like a school / therapy trip.

I suggest, find mates, you like, trust and have good banter with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RodYork
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:48 - 16 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:
RodYork wrote:

Sounds like a school / therapy trip.

I suggest, find mates, you like, trust and have good banter with.

Yes; of course you are right-I do these trips also; but they are not filmed in their entirety..I love these trips.

RodYork
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:52 - 16 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
RodYork wrote:
At the end of every day, I insist everyone talks openly and honestly about what they like/don't like about others.

I also demand that bills paid are settled on a daily basis (ie 1 person pays for the fuel,as its faster, then gets refunded in the evening, as supper is being cooked)

The public roasting sounds like an interesting addition (not). Just about the last thing I'd want is to sit around with a group of people saying what they don't like about the others. The paying for fuel thing just sounds like an added an unnecessary drama during the day. One person paying for a group of 10 would save a few minutes, probably less than the time it takes to sort it all out later.

Go with people you already know and have already ridden with then you don't have to jump through these hoops.

The public roasting is exactly what it is not- its a chance to be honest- if someone goes overboard with a roasting- it is quickly dealt with...but these are debriefs...ways to improve ...they are not roastings. I apologise if I emphasised the evenings wind down too much.

The Paying for fuel scenario is the quickest way- please trust me- I have tried many alternatives.

noobRider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:43 - 17 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RodYork wrote:
The Paying for fuel scenario is the quickest way- please trust me- I have tried many alternatives.

We've tended to pay as a group of three or four within a larger group of riders. It's as many as can fill up easily at one pump and keep track of who's round it is.

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:54 - 17 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

noobRider wrote:
RodYork wrote:

We've tended to pay as a group of three or four within a larger group of riders. It's as many as can fill up easily at one pump and keep track of who's round it is.

I tried this.....once.Because we all put different amounts into our fuel tanks someone always loses out.The person with the biggest tank capacity always wins.

Always have a 'Plan B'

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:30 - 17 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzer Thou wrote:

I tried this.....once.Because we all put different amounts into our fuel tanks someone always loses out.The person with the biggest tank capacity always wins.

Must be a product of me having too much bloody money these days but that sort of thing doesn't really bother me Laughing

Come to think of it Pigeon was so particular on the balancing of cash that he PayPal'd me what he'd worked out he owed me over the course of 3 days mini-break. I hadn't any idea TBH as I was just busy having a blast.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:31 - 17 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just say that if touring with others, make sure you get to do/see something of what you want to, not just entirely follow someone else's itinerary. Other than that, I think it's just down to how well you click with those that you go with. Bit of touring with others, and a bit of solo touring at other times will help you decide which you prefer.

I toured with a mate who'd travelled Europe a bit more than me first, which got me comfortable with the idea of doing it alone afterwards. I think I preferred going solo, although obviously you miss the banter with like-minded souls sometimes - at others, you meet people to chat with/have a beer with at the end of a day's riding.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:15 - 17 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RodYork wrote:
these are debriefs...ways to improve.

Must work for the guys that you tour with, but still sounds hellish to me. Far too formal, regimented and planned.

When we go it's far more relaxed, more like a group of mates on a rideout who just happen to be in Europe. When we get to the hotel the priorities for the evening are shower, food, beers, chat and have a laugh about the day. Never have we wanted to sit down and talk about how we can improve, making it through the day and getting to the location is the aim.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:24 - 17 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
making it through the day and getting to the location is the aim.

Making it through the day? Doesn't sound like much of a holiday to me. What about enjoying the day?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:45 - 17 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 2014 a friend suggested we go sport touring around France.We rode 2600 miles clockwise around bits of froggyland that I had not ridden before as well as a few that I had.We had a blast without any problems at all.

It was after this trip that Mrs.Fizzer demanded that she and I should go on a trip together Thinking

Always have a 'Plan B'

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:46 - 17 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RodYork wrote:

The public roasting is exactly what it is not- its a chance to be honest- if someone goes overboard with a roasting- it is quickly dealt with...but these are debriefs...ways to improve..

Sounds like a barrel of laughs? Shocked
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 164 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2