Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Dual A-road at standstill - would you....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:17 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Dual A-road at standstill - would you.... Reply with quote

So, currently the A500 in stoke is standstill due to a lorry fire. All lanes closed - have been for hours and apparently will be for another 2-3 hours.

Let’s say you were in that traffic and had gone past the last chance of turning off.

And even filtering to the front wouldnt help because all three lanes are closed for the fire and diesel spill...

You are able to turn around and “reverse filter” back to the slip road that’s still open to leave - and filter up it and away.

Would you?

(This is rhetorical as I’m currently sat at home comfortable on my sofa - but it got me thinking I probably would in that situation)

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:19 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a chance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:37 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mate is stuck in it and has just told me that car drivers Have just started doing it!

Loads are turning around and hearing back towards the previous slip road! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:54 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went half a mile the wrong way down the motorway to remove myself from the cluster fuck of a lorry fire. I'd do it again. Any day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:58 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. It enrages me to see drivers making up their own rules, like the ones on my new commute who deliberately squeeze into the slip-road queue at the last minute. We're queuing!! But it strikes me that if the quoted delays are that long the police should be organising this backtrack to the slip road. Often at incidents you'll see a fire engine, a couple of ambulances and loads of police cars, with the coppers milling around aimlessly.

Having said that, I was stuck in the car on the M25 (somewhere near Epsom, I think) at 1am on Monday morning* and eventually the police diverted the traffic back up the "on-ramp" just ahead of us, to the services and beyond. Got home at 4:30 though, so just 3 hours kip.

(Never found out what the incident was. Does anyone know?)

Alawson68
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:22 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A road, not a motorway. If you got off and pushed it, you would technically be a pedestrian, so your choice of direction would be irrelevant

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:48 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://scontent-lga3-1.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s640x640/sh0.08/e35/c0.89.714.714/22158867_123026675067198_4930128659123011584_n.jpg

And hop over the central reservation.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:53 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
https://scontent-lga3-1.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s640x640/sh0.08/e35/c0.89.714.714/22158867_123026675067198_4930128659123011584_n.jpg

Shit me, I never thought you sported a beard in real life.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:54 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
No. It enrages me to see drivers making up their own rules!

Well, doing 70 is the rules. Me doing 100 is my rules.

Are you entertained enraged.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:20 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look on the bright side, being stuck for 3 hours on the A500 near Stoke means that's 3 hours less you'll have to spend in Stoke! Cool

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:45 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
Look on the bright side, being stuck for 3 hours on the A500 near Stoke means that's 3 hours less you'll have to spend in Stoke! Cool

Absolutely!

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:10 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: Dual A-road at standstill - would you.... Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
So, currently the A500 in stoke is standstill due to a lorry fire. All lanes closed - have been for hours and apparently will be for another 2-3 hours.

Let’s say you were in that traffic and had gone past the last chance of turning off.

And even filtering to the front wouldnt help because all three lanes are closed for the fire and diesel spill...

You are able to turn around and “reverse filter” back to the slip road that’s still open to leave - and filter up it and away.

Would you?

(This is rhetorical as I’m currently sat at home comfortable on my sofa - but it got me thinking I probably would in that situation)

Depends on a couple of things.

How well I knew the road would be one thing, I would want to know that if I was taking a chance, there weren't going to be any CCTV cameras following my regress.

This might be negated by the fact that I don't listen to the radio, or have a sat nav when I'm on the bike, so I would have no idea the road was totally blocked; therefore, I would automatically filter to the front, encounter a total roadblock and lots of emergency services personnel, then ask advice as to how I should proceed.

If they suggested I go the wrong way down the hard shoulder, then I probably would.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:30 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

Great escape it over for bonus points. I thought filtering to the front meant you got a chance to blast down an empty motorway once it re-opened. Isn't that the dream?

Dalemac
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:04 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep.

I was once commuting from Lincoln to Doncaster for a funeral, travelling up the A1. I'd ridden for several miles through stationary traffic - the kind where everyone is out of their cars and talking, so obviously been there for a while.

Got to the front of the road closure, which happened to be just after a junction. Was advised by the police to ride down the slip road the wrong way (which was also a temporary car park) to the island and find an alternative route. Got to the next junction on the a1, which was open, and hopped straight back on. Detour of several minutes.

I then had about 10 miles of absolutely no, and I mean no traffic.

Good job, as I had to make up some time!

Such a surreal experience during the middle of the day.

Would definitely do it again.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:00 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
It enrages me to see drivers making up their own rules, like the ones on my new commute who deliberately squeeze into the slip-road queue at the last minute. We're queuing!!

Oh, how very British of you. Wink

suburban myth
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 05:33 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen it done on the A42(M) and thought the guy was a cunt on principle alone. 30 seconds later a fire engine came down the hard shoulder where he was riding. I can only assume he saw it coming.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:22 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
No. It enrages me to see drivers making up their own rules

Oh, you never break the speed limi- dammit, Paddy.

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
like the ones on my new commute who deliberately squeeze into the slip-road queue at the last minute.

How very dare they make full use of the road that you're hogging.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:25 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

suburban myth wrote:
Seen it done on the A42(M) and thought the guy was a cunt on principle alone.

Why? You're essentially filtering through a car park, how many kittens will die?

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:48 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genuinely shocked that there are people that wouldnt do it. Confused

5 hours sat there exposed to the elements and other numpties in cars vs 10 minutes of essentially what is just normal filtering but with the added bonus of the car drivers facing you rather than you sneaking up on them..

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:59 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

5 hours sat there exposed to the elements and other numpties in cars vs 10 minutes of essentially what is just normal filtering but with the added bonus of the car drivers facing you rather than you sneaking up on them..

It's not on principle; it's on risk versus reward. Only needs some dash-cam numptie these days and you're on for a careless driving conviction at the very least most likely.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:01 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

It's not on principle; it's on risk versus reward. Only needs some dash-cam numptie these days and you're on for a careless driving conviction at the very least most likely.

love to see them get your number plate from a front facing dashcam while you are filtering towards them.

But yes I understand the sentiment.

(inb4 - they have rear facing "dashcams" as well)

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:17 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

find a gap in the central reservation and go the other way legally.

I seem to remember load of drivers recently get propafked because they went the wrong way down the hard shoulder (because the road was closed due to a serious accident) and their actions meant the emergency services couldn't get to the scene

Interested the know the law on pushing the bike back up the road Thinking

Last edited by pompousporcupine on 10:32 - 11 Oct 2017; edited 1 time in total

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:25 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pompousporcupine wrote:
find a gap in the central reservation and go the other way legally.

I seem to remember load of drivers recently get propafked because they went the wrong way down the hard shoulder (because the road was closed due to a serious accident) and their actions meant the emergency services couldn't get to the scene

Yeah No chance Id even consider it in a car.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:12 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd do it for sure... After filtering to the front to look at the carnage.

It still surprises me how many bikers I see waiting in traffic. What's the point of a bike if you treat it like a car?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 170 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2