Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

My experience of learning to ride

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

pimmo2000
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:24 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: My experience of learning to ride Reply with quote

Surprisingly I read quite a few articles and posts about learning to ride before I did and during for tips etc, so I figured why not return the favour and do one of my own. Hopefully someone reading this gets some comfort from it.

So step one is understanding what you need to do to get your license and which license you can have based on your age. Put simply, if you’re over 24 you can go straight through and ride anything, if you’re under 24 you still follow the same process, but are limited on the power (full details here https://www.gov.uk/ride-motorcycle-moped/bike-categories-ages-and-licence-requirements)

Ok, this is all my opinion and my experience, what worked for me might not work for you, I’ve tried to break it down into manageable chunks ..

• Direct access course – I opted for the direct access, which was "never ridden a geared bike" to "full license" and I did it over about 2 weeks, slight delay waiting for test spaces. The place I did it with gave 24 hour’s worth of riding and included the cost of the Mod 1 and Mod 2 tests. Cost £650 which is higher than others, but the different types of lessons and long distance riding was well worth it.
I would strongly suggest you research the type of training the school gives before making up your mind. Also have a look at the test center you plan to use; I had Chester, which is all open roads and 70mph so having this as part of my course was a huge benefit.

• Clothes – commitment and safety. For me it was a no brainer, I decided I wanted to ride so I bought all the gear in one go, it was very expensive as I went for the higher end stuff, boots, pants, jacket, helmet, gloves set me back £900 .. The helmet was £390 of that, but I wanted the best I could afford. In contrast I bought my wife a full set for £100 second hand (I don’t recommend a second hand helmet though) Commitment wise if you turn up for your test in t-shirt and jeans the examiner is going to be looking for ways to fail you .. I would if I was testing you.

• CBT – So mixed opinions on this one, many people suggest getting a 125, doing your CBT and riding round for a few weeks/months, personally of the people I went out with, those without any prior experience were much better, (including me) because we literally did exactly what we were told, I also found people who had car licenses had a much better command of the road so maybe if you don't drive at all, practice would be better than nothing, but if you do, just get straight on with it. The CBT is pretty much a day of learning how to control a small bike, you do some offroad work, stops, starts, circles, etc and then you go out on the road for at least 2 hours. Once the instructor is happy he gives you your certificate, no test, but he can ask you to come back and try again if you’re unsafe.

• Theory – Not normally funded as part of your Direct access (only cheap), but something you need to pass before you do the Mod 1. Basically download the apps to your phone, (it’s worth paying for the good ones) and practice. The test is easy, the hazard bit is more tricky but only because (for me at least) it wasn’t obviously when and how to click. Read the instructions and the guides online too, helped me pass first time.

• MOD 1 – So once you’ve passed your theory you can book your Mod 1. The Mod 1 is all about bike control, most of which is slow speed. Four tips here, first make sure you learn on a bike with ABS, it’s so easy to skid on your back wheel, ABS removes that risk. Second shoulder check every time you move and before you turn, do your lifesaver. Keep your head on a swivel from the moment you get on your bike to the second you get off. Third get on You tube and watch people doing it, it takes the pressure off and lastly, if it’s not part of your course, book a session with an instructor and practice all the moves over and over. Because this is such an easy test the nerves tend to be high, it’s easy to forget a check or put a foot down and fail. Once you’ve done this and the theory, that’s the hard parts out the way. (if you want specific tips for each bit, let me know)

• MOD 2 – The easy bit, have you done a car test? Well it’s nothing like that. The examiner is just a sat nav in your ear watching how you ride. If you are safe, you pass. Get up to speed, keep an eye on all signs and follow the Highway Code to the letter. I got stuck in neutral twice and he only told me off for the delay it made in my progress, but I passed. He also told me off for not overtaking a car doing 45 in a 50. Aim to do the speed limit but stay safe and the way I looked at it, you pass if you’re safe, so no one wants to pass if they’re not.

That’s it, nothing else to it. Feel free to ask any questions whilst its fresh in my mind and hopefully someone will get something from this.

Oh, remember that passing the test means you know the basics, it;s the old cliche that you only start learning once you pass, but it's so true, be careful and don't ride like a dick.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Useful to get a recent learner's perspective! Thumbs Up

Just to be clear though: Direct Access refers to going straight to the A licence. It's nothing to do with the type of training course.

pimmo2000
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:01 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
Useful to get a recent learner's perspective! Thumbs Up

Just to be clear though: Direct Access refers to going straight to the A licence. It's nothing to do with the type of training course.

True but how you get to the license can vary depending on the direct access courses which are structured in different ways.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:05 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

* Licence Wink

License is a verb.

pimmo2000
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:14 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you run out of useful things to say .. Correct spelling or grammar..

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:25 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pimmo2000 wrote:
When you run out of useful things to say ..

Tef has a rival Smile

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:53 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: My experience of learning to ride Reply with quote

pimmo2000 wrote:

• MOD 1 – So once you’ve passed your theory you can book your Mod 1. The Mod 1 is all about bike control, most of which is slow speed. Four tips here, first make sure you learn on a bike with ABS, it’s so easy to skid on your back wheel, ABS removes that risk. Second shoulder check every time you move and before you turn, do your lifesaver. Keep your head on a swivel from the moment you enter the testing pad to the moment you leave. you get on your bike to the second you get off. Third get on You tube and watch people doing it, it takes the pressure off and lastly, if it’s not part of your course, book a session with an instructor and practice all the moves over and over. Because this is such an easy test the nerves tend to be high, it’s easy to forget a check or put a foot down and fail. Once you’ve done this and the theory, that’s the hard parts out the way. (if you want specific tips for each bit, let me know)

FTFY
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:11 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: My experience of learning to ride Reply with quote

pimmo2000 wrote:
Clothes – commitment and safety. For me it was a no brainer, I decided I wanted to ride so I bought all the gear in one go, it was very expensive as I went for the higher end stuff, boots, pants, jacket, helmet, gloves set me back £900 .. The helmet was £390 of that, but I wanted the best I could afford. In contrast I bought my wife a full set for £100 second hand (I don’t recommend a second hand helmet though) Commitment wise if you turn up for your test in t-shirt and jeans the examiner is going to be looking for ways to fail you .. I would if I was testing you.

So you spend £900 nice new gear for yourself and £100 on second hand for your wife.

I see your well committed to YOUR safety.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:36 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: My experience of learning to ride Reply with quote

pimmo2000 wrote:
Also have a look at the test center you plan to use; I had Chester, which is all open roads and 70mph so having this as part of my course was a huge benefit.

Yeah that's bollocks for a start off. Location of centre has fuck all to do with anything as all test routes have to combine urban, suburban and rural etc. etc. Plus also, if you're attempting to choose a test centre that's giving you easier routes, what really is your ultimate goal in taking the test - to just be able to ride easy routes? Gmafb. Spends a grand on gear in the name of safety consciousness but tries to find easiest test route to avoid actually learning to ride well and is thus less safe.

Great tips, genius.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:46 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: My experience of learning to ride Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:
pimmo2000 wrote:

Keep your head on a swivel from the moment you enter the testing pad to the moment you leave. you get on your bike to the second you get off.

FTFY

I think he was right - from what I remember being told you can fail MOD 1 in the bike parking area outside the pad compound if you don't look around you before moving off, or after leaving the pad compound if you mess up parking the bike (we were told to park the bikes facing outwards when we arrived prior to the test, then after the test ride them in forwards as there was less chance of fluffing that due to nerves than putting it in backwards).

pimmo2000
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 07:36 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah late night posters .. how I love your stupidity.

Ok, so first off you're marked from the second you get on your bike, not from when you enter the gated area, that's not an opinion.

Clothing wise, the gear I bought for my wife I took a lot longer looking for and actually found a fantastic deal. The lady in question had not used her kit having paid a considerable amount of it. It is all brand new and contains as much if not more protection than my gear. In hindsight and the reason for mentioning it if you look around you can save yourself a lot of money.

Test centre, I didn't pick my centre, my location did. BUT you're wrong, Chester for example vs St Helens, yes they have a mixture but Chester is surrounded by many more high speed country roads and thus you spend more time on them. I've spoken to quite a few people who have used other centres and ended up sat in traffic for 20-30 minutes, still passing. I was riding the entire time.

So, thanks for your helpful comments, but kindly f'k off Wink

pimmo2000
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 07:40 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: My experience of learning to ride Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
pimmo2000 wrote:
Also have a look at the test center you plan to use; I had Chester, which is all open roads and 70mph so having this as part of my course was a huge benefit.

Yeah that's bollocks for a start off. Location of centre has fuck all to do with anything as all test routes have to combine urban, suburban and rural etc. etc. Plus also, if you're attempting to choose a test centre that's giving you easier routes, what really is your ultimate goal in taking the test - to just be able to ride easy routes? Gmafb. Spends a grand on gear in the name of safety consciousness but tries to find easiest test route to avoid actually learning to ride well and is thus less safe.

Great tips, genius.

This deserves a second post .. what makes you think 60/70 mph twisty country roads and dual carriage ways is the easier options over slow speed town riding?

I'd said it's the opposite, I can control a bike a slow speed all day, the danger comes at high speed and doing more of that in my test gives me more peace of mind.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:42 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pimmo2000 wrote:

https://youtu.be/zPGb4STRfKw?t=32 Thumbs Up

Salty round here today, isn't it Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:46 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: My experience of learning to ride Reply with quote

pimmo2000 wrote:
the danger comes at high speed

I've had more near misses in riding the city than giving it the beans round wales.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:14 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: My experience of learning to ride Reply with quote

Hey, not bad. Not bad at all.

However, this! Is! BCF!

pimmo2000 wrote:
The helmet was £390 of that, but I wanted the best I could afford.

The best at what?

pimmo2000 wrote:
Commitment wise if you turn up for your test in t-shirt and jeans the examiner is going to be looking for ways to fail you

They'll refuse to do the test, citing the secret list of minimum clothing. The reason being that they are idiots and do not understand the concept of creating a duty of care where one did not exist.

pimmo2000 wrote:
first make sure you learn on a bike with ABS

Once you're used to it, be careful about going back to a prolespec bike. I'm forever locking up the rear on my non-ABS mini-ninja, although now I do it for the lulz as well.

pimmo2000 wrote:
He also told me off for not overtaking a car doing 45 in a 50.

Did he he expect you to crawl past at 50? Laughing

pimmo2000
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 08:27 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: My experience of learning to ride Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Hey, not bad. Not bad at all.

However, this! Is! BCF!

pimmo2000 wrote:
The helmet was £390 of that, but I wanted the best I could afford.

The best at what?

pimmo2000 wrote:
Commitment wise if you turn up for your test in t-shirt and jeans the examiner is going to be looking for ways to fail you

They'll refuse to do the test, citing the secret list of minimum clothing. The reason being that they are idiots and do not understand the concept of creating a duty of care where one did not exist.

pimmo2000 wrote:
first make sure you learn on a bike with ABS

Once you're used to it, be careful about going back to a prolespec bike. I'm forever locking up the rear on my non-ABS mini-ninja, although now I do it for the lulz as well.

pimmo2000 wrote:
He also told me off for not overtaking a car doing 45 in a 50.

Did he he expect you to crawl past at 50? Laughing

Helmet wise I wanted comfort and quality, did quite a bit of research and now have a Bell .. which fits both nicely on my head and my personality Wink

The thing about the over take, there was a speed camera van I could see just up the road so I didn't want to risk any overtake. Had the van been doing 35 I'd have gone for it.

Ah well, didn't fail me ..

Oh and the clothes, ok I didn't know that, I was told as long as you have gloves, boots and a helmet you could do it, but unlikely to pass.

You're an idiot if you don't wear full gear all the time as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by pimmo2000 on 08:28 - 11 Oct 2017; edited 1 time in total

pimmo2000
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 08:28 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: My experience of learning to ride Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
pimmo2000 wrote:
the danger comes at high speed

I've had more near misses in riding the city than giving it the beans round wales.

That's because you give it beans around the city ..

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:32 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: My experience of learning to ride Reply with quote

pimmo2000 wrote:
You're an idiot if you don't wear full gear all the time as far as I'm concerned.

I can't remember the last time i wore my bike pants, or my bike boots.

pimmo2000
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 08:34 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: My experience of learning to ride Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
pimmo2000 wrote:

I can't remember the last time i wore my bike pants, or my bike boots.

Case in point Wink

pimmo2000
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 08:38 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
pimmo2000 wrote:

https://youtu.be/zPGb4STRfKw?t=32 Thumbs Up

Salty round here today, isn't it Laughing

Standard big balls on a petrol forum .. just need to find the decent people .. seems there are a few poking out Smile

I'm hoping to learn a lot from the guys/gals here, clearly I know fk all at the moment Smile

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:43 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pimmo2000 wrote:

I'm hoping to learn a lot from the guys/gals here, clearly I know fk all at the moment Smile

Well, you've learnt how to spell licence. Result. Wink

pimmo2000
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 08:48 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
pimmo2000 wrote:

Well, you've learnt how to spell licence. Result. Wink

Probably not, I'm an awful speller .. dyslexic I was in tears for hours after you corrected me, really hurt.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:57 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this guy; can we keep him?

pimmo2000
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:02 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:04 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as he puts up pictures of his missus in said gear, purely from the safety point of view of course Whistle
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 161 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3