Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What android to meet these specs?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

BillyJ
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:58 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: What android to meet these specs? Reply with quote

My girlfriend is finally willing to give up her iphone and is asking what android to get so I thought I'd throw the question here to get opinions.

She has an iphone 5 and wants a nice clean easy to use android.
It needs to have:
Decent camera
NFC
fingerprint scanner
32gb+ internal memory
£200 or less
Screen needs to be bigger than 4" but apparently 5.5" is too big Rolling Eyes (no innuendo intended Laughing )

So what phone does she want?

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:15 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got Nokia 5

Decent camera
NFC
Fingerprint scanner
16GB internal storage + SD card reader (128GB max, but not sure)
£200 or less
5.2" IPS HD display (720p, but the screen is very nice, good pixel rate)

If you get Nokia 6 (not out yet), We're talking 32GB internal storage and 1080p display, also more RAM, otherwise the same thing.

---------------------------------------------
Review of the Nokia 5 - 8/10

Nokia 5 has a clean Android 7.1.1 instal, there is no bloatware. The phone has full aluminium body, with Gorilla glass tech on the display, finger print reader and the back camera. Very well put togehether, very nice to touch. It also has some ancient features, such as 3.5mm stereo jack, SD card reader, FM tuner...

The camera (13MPx back and 8MPx front), is quite nice. Very nice picture quality, dual colour flash, 1080p/30fps video recording. Easy to setup camera app. The front facing camera is alright as well, although pointless, for me at least.

The using experience is very good, the system is swift and functional. Battery life is good, about 4 days with normal use. There's also very nice auto display dimming feature that works well. While the display is very nicely readable in the direct sunlight when required.

Nokia, or whoever owns the brand now, did a great job.

2 points down: There is no notification diode and the loud speaker isn't the best.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think the Asian market got a notification diode instead of the front facing camera, which I would prefer, to be honest. I'm a heterosexual man, I don't do selfies.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:46 - 10 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you can pick up an Xperia Z5 for a smidge over £200 from here: https://www.eglobalcentral.co.uk/sony-xperia-z5-e6683-dual-sim-4g-lte-sim-free-unlocked-black.html?utm_source=kelkoo&utm_medium=referral#/product/15940

Bloody good phone, especially at that price. Meets all specs. Isn't a Nokia. All wins!

BillyJ
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 09:13 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Xperia, mainly because it's not a Nokia...

I got her looking at the Galaxy S6 which you get for around £200 and she seems to like it.

Only downside is the battery isn't anything to write home about... thoughts?

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:14 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's wrong with Nokia?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:25 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillyJ wrote:

I got her looking at the Galaxy S6 which you get for around £200 and she seems to like it.

I have an S5 which is OK, ticks your boxes, and the battery is removable however mines only 16gb. Mrs has a non edge S7 and loves it but that's well out of your price range at the moment.

My old Sony Experia though, a Z2, was a fantastic phone. Pretty uncluttered OS and lovely to use. It's 4 years old now though and the battery is showing it's age. The only reason I didn't get another was the S5 was free.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 10:48 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
What's wrong with Nokia?

It isn't 1999 anymore.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:56 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
What's wrong with Nokia?

They died at the end of the 3410.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:33 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:
What's wrong with Nokia?

It isn't 1999 anymore.

Owned and made by different people these days. They divorced Microsoft and are now stock android AFAIK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BillyJ
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:42 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:
What's wrong with Nokia?

It isn't 1999 anymore.

Yes exactly this Laughing

I have an S7 edge and love it Thumbs Up
Don't think the s8 is worth the upgrade so waiting for the s9 Thumbs Up

I think she's found an s6 she likes on eBay so I'm going to try and snipe it for her

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:32 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillyJ wrote:

I've got an S6, if I manage it well, the battery can last 2 days if I'm away from a charger (no internet etc). Other times you can burn through it in hours, all depends on use.

Mine has this strange effect, where I unlock the phone, then after around 3 or 4 seconds it freezes for a couple of seconds. Don't know why. I don't really have apps on it, I should probably try a factory reset but meh.

I remember when I got it, upgraded from LG G2, the screen was fantastic. Now it looks pants next to my missus' S7 - but that isn't because the S6 is bad, just newer stuff is better.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:15 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to this search result on GSM Arena, you have a choice of 10 phones:

Nokia 6
Samsung Galaxy J5
Motorola Moto E4 Plus
Lenovo P2
Lenovo Vibe K4 Note
LG V10
LG Stylus 2 Plus
Vodafone Smart V8
Alcatel A7
ZTE Hawkeye

Plot twist:
Upon double checking, nine of those have a screen over 5.5"

Here's your winner

Edit: Just read the above post about the S6. Seems better in every way but the battery. Over budget though!

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:14 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:
Owned and made by different people these days. They divorced Microsoft and are now stock android AFAIK

I'm not sure if people ignore, what I say, but yes, Nokia is android only now. It's very nicely made and the OS is very clean, no bloatware. I paid 4990CZK for my Nokia 5 = about £175 and for that kind of money, the build quality is exceptional (solid, no plastic, well put together). The functionality is the same, just like any phone with these specs, obivously. Plus I enjoy the ''for some obsolete'' jack 3.5mm, SD card reader and FM tuner. Nokia 6 would be about £50 more and for that you get one 1GB of RAM and slightely bigger 1080P display with slightely higher MPx camera on the back and 32GB internal storage (not a selling point), which is about it. The rest is the same.

Cool feature of Android 7.1.x is, that you may combine the SD card with the internal storage to create a array, or select what the SD card should be used for (even instal apps there). So 16GB internal (n5) + class 10 (or faster) SD card and you may have a cheap phone with up to 272 GB of storage, if that's what you want.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:48 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

Cool feature of Android 7.1.x is, that you may combine the SD card with the internal storage to create a array, or select what the SD card should be used for (even instal apps there). So 16GB internal (n5) + class 10 (or faster) SD card and you may have a cheap phone with up to 272 GB of storage, if that's what you want.

It is a cool feature, till the SD card goes belly up and then you have lost anything not backed up off phone.

I had this start to go and the SD card would drop in and out on a random basis. There is no way back when this happens. You can not go back to it being a separate SD card, as it formats it and you lose everything on it.....
It is a real PIA when this happens.

Think the issue is more how close the SD card is to the processor or its heat sink, although on any phone they can get very hot.

Personally run the phone with the SD card as a separate device and see just how hot the area gets before you think of integrating the memory.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:22 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't win the s6 I really do strongly recommend the Xperia. I'm on my second Z model (Z1 then Z5) and have a few colleagues with compact Z's who also really like them.

Just don't be tempted by the M range, all show, no go.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:42 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:

It is a cool feature, till the SD card goes belly up and then you have lost anything not backed up off phone.

I had this start to go and the SD card would drop in and out on a random basis. There is no way back when this happens. You can not go back to it being a separate SD card, as it formats it and you lose everything on it.....
It is a real PIA when this happens.

Think the issue is more how close the SD card is to the processor or its heat sink, although on any phone they can get very hot.

Personally run the phone with the SD card as a separate device and see just how hot the area gets before you think of integrating the memory.

I also run the SD card separately, as a media storage. I had no idea there was no way back, when you made the array and the SD card died. Very good to know. Not that I've ever had issues with SD cards.

So, the only cool feature left is that the Android 7.1.x lets you install apps on the SD card. Which is a feature, that made me upgrade from Android 4.x.x (Sony Xperia E). Sony had a laugh with this one. 4GB internal storage, made into 2 partitions by 2GB. Every single bit of software and apps could only be installed to one of the partitions and you pretty much had no choice. 1.7GB was bloatware, which left me 300Mb for whatever and as the phone got older, stuff like Chrome, Gmail, GooglePlay app, got bigger and bigger, so in the end there wasn't even enough space to have upto date internet browser. The other 2GB of space was not utilised whatsoever.

Talking about controlled aging, huh? Except it being a phone, I only used the mp3 player (Sony is the best), email, office (reading docs/pdfs) and the news app. It still plays mp3 music, but don't expect to read a pdf file, your email, browse the internet and do other stuff. I even did fresh instal, did not help. Chrome, Gmail, pdf reader... all these apps got bigger and bigger, not enough space in the storage, while having free 2GB unitilised just sitting there. Thinking

BillyJ
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:17 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:

Edit: Just read the above post about the S6. Seems better in every way but the battery. Over budget though!

Won the S6 on eBay today in near new condition! It came with some girly phone cases for £193 including shipping!!

Just within budget, that's a win Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

And regarding the SD card discussion, I use it as seperate media and save all my photos to SD but hate that a lot of apps can't run off SD and especially that whatsapp media can't go to SD Crying or Very sad

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:10 - 14 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope Samsung battery won't explode anymore. I have note3 and I bought new battery for it last month.
---
regarding micro SD, I use it as a picture file storage. As far as I keep saving pictures files before it reaches card's size limit, it won't eat its life so much cause it's just a saving 1 time per cell(maybe).
But saving apps on SD, it will keep writing, saving, and accessing the memory, it will surely eat its life faster. Main memories are usually designed for such use, but micro SDs are not that much durable for such use I reckon.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 167 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1