Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Are you already laying your bikes up for winter?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:44 - 27 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDFarsight wrote:
Indeed, my first and only bike has fuel injection and I can't imagine going without it.

Come on now, lads. I went from having a kickstart to electric start only, lets slow down on the advance in technology shall we before I faint in excitement.

Having a choke isn't all that bad although have never owned nor ridden a fuel injected bike so don't know what, if anything, I'm missing out on. I'd say it depends on the motor: the GS 500 I rode at the training school was the worst for taking its time to warm up and that thing was stored inside in a garage well away from the elements. I could have been halfway -- at the time -- to work by the time they'd given me the nod to get going: even then it cut out in the process a couple of times.

Winters one of them slow transitions over the year whereby I slowly start to accept that I'm not going anywhere quick. Biggest pain in the arse -- now I'm on a big bike -- is ensuring I get enough miles in to keep the motor running at suitable temps.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:16 - 27 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genuinely low temps over winter, especially here in central UK, lasts what 2 maybe 3 weeks a year, so no great hardship. All my bike are now efi, and, yes it does make starting alot easier, almost always a first time start, no matter what the weather. As for warming the engine, I tend to start the bike, and let it tick over for a minute or so, long enough to lock up, and put my helmet & gloves on, by which time, it's usually up to the first bar on the engine temp gauge.

BLB_Rich
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:35 - 27 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keeep riding my bike through the winter. Done it for years all the way up from 125cc. I'm cleaning/prepping my downpipes & replacing any dodgy bulbs/bits as the nights start drawing in.

EFI is a god-send in the winter. My FZ6 starts up no matter what & only needs about 1 min to warm up!

If it's genuinely cold I'll make the bike's covered/locked up & I'll get the train to commute.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:47 - 27 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
SDFarsight wrote:
Indeed, my first and only bike has fuel injection and I can't imagine going without it.

Come on now, lads. I went from having a kickstart to electric start only, lets slow down on the advance in technology shall we before I faint in excitement.

Sorry but linuxyeti has already got his 'engine temp gauge' out, which is no doubt connected to a laptop (running on Linux, naturally..) which sends average temp readings to his Twitter account and floods the 'core' if it overheats. *nod*

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:59 - 27 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDFarsight wrote:

Sorry but linuxyeti has already got his 'engine temp gauge' out, which is no doubt connected to a laptop (running on Linux, naturally..) which sends average temp readings to his Twitter account and floods the 'core' if it overheats. *nod*

Laughing Laughing Shame I don't have a twitter account, I kind of have a facebook account, and a nominally maintained linkedln account, that pretty much accounts my my use of social media, aside from a couple of forums !!

As good as the above sounds, alas, the temp gauge is displayed on the dashboard on all but 1 of my bikes. However, I have connected the OBD port from the car to my laptop on occasion, not had the need to with the bikes as yet Laughing Laughing

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:54 - 27 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDFarsight wrote:

Indeed, my first and only bike has fuel injection and I can't imagine going without it. I didn't like fiddling about with the fuel mixture in IL2 Sturmovik and I don't fancy doing it in real life!

lol n00b

How about having a choke on each carb, just to keep you on your toes?

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:14 - 27 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
SDFarsight wrote:

Indeed, my first and only bike has fuel injection and I can't imagine going without it. I didn't like fiddling about with the fuel mixture in IL2 Sturmovik and I don't fancy doing it in real life!

lol n00b

How about having a choke on each carb, just to keep you on your toes?

Sounds.....Interesting.

I might have a kick-start as otherwise I can't convey my air of manly determination when just pushing a button. Rolling Eyes

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:24 - 28 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Having a choke isn't all that bad although have never owned nor ridden a fuel injected bike so don't know what, if anything, I'm missing out on.

Your neighbours not hating you Wink One of mine had a Bandit with the noisiest exhaust and he used to warm it up at 4am. I nearly set his bike on fire.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:59 - 28 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Your neighbours not hating you Wink One of mine had a Bandit with the noisiest exhaust and he used to warm it up at 4am. I nearly set his bike on fire.

That wouldn't have happened three days running if he was my neighbour. I could handle it being started and ridden away but deliberately warming up a noisy bike at that time of day would have got it disabled pretty damn quick.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:10 - 28 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree,

I've got a 1200 bandit with a Not road legal exhaust on it. I used to leave for work around 6:30 and would'nt even start it until I was in riding position rolling down the drive with it in gear ready.

thepuma
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:07 - 28 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope.....ride through winter.

Don't think you can call yourself a proper biker unless you do.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:27 - 28 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

thepuma wrote:

Oh noes! All those years of riding have been for nothing! Shocked Crying or Very sad

Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jakebrownbass
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 07:05 - 29 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

thepuma wrote:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CftNySfXIAA3w5V.jpg

Been there. Done it. Got the t shirt

Why bother.

By the time I’ve suited up, got the bike out, rode to work, de suited.
I’ve not saved any time from the car. It’s not been enjoyable. And tbh it’s been a farce.

People that genuinely believe this generally don’t have the option of taking a car.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:02 - 29 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

thepuma wrote:

thepuma wrote:

CBT - Passed 27/7/12. THEORY - Passed 28/7/12.
MOD1 - Passed 12/9/12 MOD2 - Passed 26/9/12

Lol n00b

Don’t worry, I was naive like you when I was inexperienced. Then I grew up and realised that there are no prizes for freezing to death or turning your bike into a pile of rusty scrap.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:16 - 29 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jakebrownbass wrote:
Why bother.

I’ve not saved any time from the car. It’s not been enjoyable. And tbh it’s been a farce.

Doesn't this apply all year round? Eh?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:18 - 29 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
jakebrownbass wrote:
Why bother.

Doesn't this apply all year round? Eh?

Not for me, it doesn't. I need to wrap up warm on the bike in winter these days, and it's a right old palaver. Ditched the idea of a ride today because I just couldn't be bothered.
In summer, pull on lid, jacket and gloves and I'm away.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:08 - 29 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Not for me, it doesn't. I need to wrap up warm on the bike in winter these days, and it's a right old palaver. Ditched the idea of a ride today because I just couldn't be bothered.
In summer, pull on lid, jacket and gloves and I'm away.

That's the problem when you're riding to a biker cafe, don't want to get all hot and sweaty whilst having your cuppa Wink Working outdoors I'm normally wrapped up warm anyway, so it's pretty much the same for me. In fact I sometimes think I'll get a bit too hot on the bike, I'll put my thermals on at work.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:49 - 31 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upgraded the RST textile gear to Dainese Goretex - see if that deals with the muggy damp and overheating.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:43 - 31 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

<ten years later>

Depends how well the bikes running I'd say; not ignoring the fact, of course, that some exhausts are just designed to extract maximum noise at all times.

Start, keep below 2k, knock it off as soon as sounds healthy and ride away: I let the riding do most of the warming up now rather than burn redonkulas amounts of fuel for no reason. Then again, though, I don't ride at silly hours in the morning (been there, never again).

Don't poop on your own doorstep and all that: I like to have my fun elsewhere. Laughing

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:53 - 31 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
Upgraded the RST textile gear to Dainese Goretex - see if that deals with the muggy damp and overheating.

For me I'm wearing my Alpinestars drystar, survived 2 winters with the same jacket, got a new one for this winter. bought be a pair of Buffalo textiles (mega cheap) which should do the job. (HG gortex if it rains)

Bricktop
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 00:47 - 01 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CB1300 is coming off the road (I'm having the swingarm braced and the wheels are going to be powder-coated to change the colour) but the old Flying Brick will be ridden right through, seeing as that's what I bought it for.

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 17:34 - 02 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still haven't gotten around to taking driving lessons, so I'll be once again braving the chilblains.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:55 - 02 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up Smile

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-KnxfMVL66Js/Tdk0MCCTacI/AAAAAAAACww/sPdtfHAhc8Y/s1600/Windshield%2BPopular%2BScience%2BAug.%2B1939.jpg
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Billy Balthorpe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:03 - 02 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Victory and one of the '87 FZR 1000s are in our clubhouse, it looks like a bike showroom in there at the moment there are so many bikes, at least it gives you something to look at while you drink beer.
The other '87 FZR 1000 and the Fazer 1000 are in my garage for quick and easy access in case of a nice day.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:17 - 02 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

Windpal?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 178 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7