Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Are you already laying your bikes up for winter?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
AldridgePrior This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 01:09 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to ride in anything but considering how expensive bikes are getting to buy, run and repair I may stick to the car.

The days of picking up a cheap winter hack are coming to a end.

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:02 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
I love my pr4's but it has to be said their worst feature is cold temperature grip. Wet grip is fantastic but watch out if it gets down near freezing.

I guess power of the bike is largely to do with it, but I never managed to spin the PR3's up on the CBR, even when giving it a fistful on cold tyres.

Strangely though, I managed to wind-up the rear on my Bandit 400 (59bhp) with Pilot Power 2CT's on. Maybe it was the tarmac I was on?!?!

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 02:24 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, just keep riding the pig through every winter.

https://puu.sh/y5C18.jpg

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:39 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is in the garage till the leaves finish coating the roads near me then it will be out on the days it's not raining right through winter.

Cold and dry is fine. Cold and wet / ice / snow is not, that's car weather.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:49 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
Mine is in the garage till the leaves finish coating the roads near me then it will be out on the days it's not raining right through winter.

Cold and dry is fine. Cold and wet / ice / snow is not, that's car weather.

I don't mind when the road's wet but I don't particularly like it when it's raining. Obviously no rainpal but I don't like the clutch lever/foot pegs getting slippy as well, it's just not a very pleasant experience.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 19:05 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may fit my new heated grips, muffs and apron this week, been a bit to warm for them so far.

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:30 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I see winter riding - those who have to and those who choose to. The commuters know how to cope with the weather and when not to even try; hats off to you lot. For the joy riders, we can be a bit more selective. I don't take out my main ride unless it's dry and above 5 degrees C. The 250 will go out unless it's raining persistently or icy. Don't mind wet roads. Spraying or painting bare metal with oil is a good idea. When the salt is around, a hose with cold water weekly. As for me, plenty of core heat and journeys no longer than 30 minutes when it's cold. Pinlock helmet helps a lot, especially as I wear specs. I'm retired and would go crazy if I could not ride at least 2 or 3 times a week. Even if it's just to go shopping, I rarely take the cars out unless it's with the Mrs. I ride mainly urban - the freedom to filter easily outweighs cold and damp. Wrap up, water proofs at the ready...winter's no time to stop riding guys. Very Happy

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:55 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think that pisses me off the most, is using the wiper on my gloves to clear my visor of rain has just been scratching the shit out of it. Im on a new one each year at this rate as it makes night-riding suck.

Any way to polish plastic visor back to clear?

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:55 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tdibs wrote:
No, just keep riding the pig through every winter.

https://puu.sh/y5C18.jpg

Think you need new discs...... they are FUCKED....

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:45 - 25 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tdibs wrote:

Buff/polish it with toothpaste !!

Try it on an old visor first, if you don't believe me

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:32 - 25 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta say there's some monumental bell-ends on bikes right now it's getting dark earlier. I reckon that at least a third of the ones coming up the A2 tonight either had super-shitty LED's bleeding light all over the place or were riding on full beam. One guy had LED's, on full beam AND his hazards on. Soppy bollocks doesn't even realise that there's no way in the world someone is going to see his flashing hazards with all that light filling up their mirrors.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:02 - 26 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Gotta say there's some monumental bell-ends on bikes right now it's getting dark earlier. I reckon that at least a third of the ones coming up the A2 tonight either had super-shitty LED's bleeding light all over the place or were riding on full beam. One guy had LED's, on full beam AND his hazards on. Soppy bollocks doesn't even realise that there's no way in the world someone is going to see his flashing hazards with all that light filling up their mirrors.

Gotta love the logic of people who think blinding other motorists will make them less likely to hit them.

JAMSXR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:56 - 26 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out this Sunday and Brands on Tuesday, then I’m done.

I use to ride/commute all year round, but I’ve had a company car over the 5 years with heated seats, and I would never go back to a bike for day to day travel.
Honda SFX50 > Aprilia SR125 > Aprilia RS125 > Honda RFV400 > K4 GSXR600 > KTM Duke > C1H 636 > K3 GSXR1000 > Aprilia RSV-R > Triumph Street Triple R > Ducati 899 Panigale > Aprilia Tuono 1100 > Triumph Daytona 675R > KTM SuperDuke 1290 2.0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:08 - 26 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't ridden in a couple of months. More due to lack of funds than the weather, although that hasn't been great up here for a while, so haven't really missed anything from a leisure rider's point of view.

BUT....weather looks like it might be ok tomorrow, albeit chilly, and the roads have had a day or two to dry out now (I don't enjoy cleaning the bike anymore Sad ), so I might get out on it one last time. It really needs a new front hoop and rear pads, but I can't stretch to it financially, but should be able to eke a few more miles from both yet.

I'm thinking of then cancelling the insurance and laying it up for the foreseeable future. Well, might as well now funds are so short.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:29 - 26 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably be commuting on it tomorrow, and off to Classic Bike Live in Peterborough on Sunday.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:43 - 26 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tdibs wrote:
Think that pisses me off the most, is using the wiper on my gloves to clear my visor of rain has just been scratching the shit out of it. Im on a new one each year at this rate as it makes night-riding suck.

Sounds like you need rainpal.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:36 - 26 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a commute in the fog this morning and then the damp and drizzle coming home ( i fuckin hate the humidity) I've had enough for a few weeks.

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:08 - 26 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be riding all the way through winter as I intend to take the 'winter lining' on my gear literally.

adam277 wrote:
I used to ride in anything but considering how expensive bikes are getting to buy, run and repair I may stick to the car.

The days of picking up a cheap winter hack are coming to a end.

There's always Lexmoto...

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:26 - 27 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDFarsight wrote:

Sure, you could always test your winter lining as you stand at the side of the road waiting for a recovery truck or while you push it all the way home.

Chinese bashing aside the 157 FMI (engine it used) was always hard to cold start after being sat for, say, a week during the cold temps. Engine had a personality of it's own: can't be sure about the more modern ones but I wouldn't be investing more than is needed in such a brand (or a brand that sticks their logo on other peoples mass made bikes).

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:38 - 27 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
SDFarsight wrote:

Sure, you could always test your winter lining as you stand at the side of the road waiting for a recovery truck or while you push it all the way home.

Chinese bashing aside the 157 FMI (engine it used) was always hard to cold start after being sat for, say, a week during the cold temps. Engine had a personality of it's own: can't be sure about the more modern ones but I wouldn't be investing more than is needed in such a brand (or a brand that sticks their logo on other peoples mass made bikes).

My XR was hard to start every cold morning. I had to coax it into life by giving it repeated quick twists of the throttle (otherwise it would stall). Fuel injection bikes I've had are ready to go on the button.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:41 - 27 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Fuel injection

Alright, posho. Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:47 - 27 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
M.C wrote:
Fuel injection

Alright, posho. Laughing

It's like going black Wink

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 01:28 - 27 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:

I've heard that the modern ones are better. But that's still better from a low point. Plus you'll need to invest in a sticker saying: "Honestly this is just my winter bike, the other bike's a..."

M.C wrote:

It's like going black Wink

Indeed, my first and only bike has fuel injection and I can't imagine going without it. I didn't like fiddling about with the fuel mixture in IL2 Sturmovik and I don't fancy doing it in real life!

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:31 - 27 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:

Funny that, I've only had to be recovered once on the bike, and that's when the divvy chose to divest itself of it's remaining fuel in 1 go, ironically the bike I got as a swap for a perfectly good Lexmoto Arrow Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes The chinese bikes, I've had, in fact all the other bikes I've had, have all been reliable enough to not need recovery. I guess the closest, was when I had to bodge a clutch cable fix on the side of the road on my CTM.

As for corrosion in winter, by far an away the worst was the Triumph America. The biggest problem with, well, most newer 125's, is that they are just too slow for the motorway, unless, there are roadworks, or, it's smack bang in the middle of rush hour, and that's why I swapped the Arrow for the Divvy, the roadworks on the M6 had come to an end, which meant, if I used the motorway, I had to rev the arse of the poor little bike for a solid 20 miles, at the time, and even then, I would really be going only a borderline safe speed !! Aside from that, the Arrow was a cracking little bike. My nephew still loves his Arrow, which, when we got it for him, was really tatty, but, 2 years down the line, it's still running well, and, gets used in all weathers.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 175 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7