Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Are you already laying your bikes up for winter?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:31 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main issue for me is wind, next is ice. Once the wind picks up or the temperatures drop then I'll be taking the car.

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:47 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep the bikes ready to go for the occasional dry ride out, I start to go a bit mad if I don't get out on the bike after a few weeks. Was nice last year to have heated grips on the KTM but they died a few months ago, oh well.

I'm lucky enough to not have to commute for my job, if I was part of the rat race I would use a bike, I'm too impatient to waste my life sitting in traffic (unless I'm getting paid Shifty ).

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:05 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:
Pete. wrote:
All year round here. getting cold and wet is nothing like as bad as sitting in endless traffic queues.

Have to agree with that. I have cars sitting here, unless there is snow and ice they get left home. If there is snow and ice, I work from home anyway Smile

+1 got a lovely Audi A5 coupe Quattro that sits on the drive and does around 100 miles a year.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:12 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I had the heated seats turned on on the Trophy yesterday.

On a bike Confused In the car heated seats make me think I've had a Fazer accident.

I think some people SORN in October regardless of what the weathers doing (its the season innit), although I've been noticing more people riding through winter.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:24 - 11 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm expecting an enfored lay off of approx 8 weeks some time in winter. I'm not sure when exactly this will occur as it's a bit out of my control.

95 in a 50....

Chuffin Nora
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:25 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

Righteous Bro that he is, I know of one fella who won't be laying his bike up for winter . . .

Arcane.

He'll be laying his bike down.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:06 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuffin Nora wrote:
linuxyeti wrote:

Righteous Bro that he is, I know of one fella who won't be laying his bike up for winter . . .

Arcane.

He'll be laying his bike down.

Don't forget Fazer, if hes not out riding in the rain on salty roads, then he will be washing it in salty cleaning fluids and bodging his way through numerous engines.

Or pooing himself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:31 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:
The six months tax thing probably accounts for a big drop at this time of year; tax it in April ready for easter, it runs out at the end of September.

That's not so much of an issue now you can do a pay monthly thing online, and sorn it at any point (so you could run March - October with a few clicks, rather than old-school having to post the tax disc back for a refund).

True and true, but bikers seem to be a traditional, hidebound, penny pinching lot.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:01 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine gets laid up a couple of times a year.

A few days between Christmas and New year when work is closed and when I'm on holiday.

Landy10
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:43 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

+1 got a lovely Audi A5 coupe Quattro that sits on the drive and does around 100 miles a year.

Bloody hell Hawkeye a bike rider and an Audi driver!!
You a split personality or what Very Happy

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:47 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing

Im more of an Audi "sitterondrive" er...

But when I do drive it, Im a very nice driver. Smile Let people out and everything.
Dont tailgate.

Definitely not an average Audi driver Smile

Mainly because of the bike, If I am forced to use the car I already know its going to take me far longer than if I were on the bike, soI drive nice and sedately. Smile Smile

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:21 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If by already laying up, you mean who's stripping bits off bikes to sort and be ready for winter?

That'll be me. Stubborn (read stuck) chain adjuster hiding within my swingarm so I took it apart last night to find plenty o' corrosion on the thread so no wonder it wasn't moving. Also my brake caliper torque arm thing is a bit stuck so I need to get that bolt out and grease it all up to make chain adjustments easy again. The chain side is fine, plenty of oil and lube on that side.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:58 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you aren’t commuting, why on earth would you want to ride your bike in November?

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:05 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern Monkey wrote:
If you aren’t commuting, why on earth would you want to ride your bike in November?

That depends where you are going. If I was going anywhere near a city or a busy potentially gridlocked area, I wouldnt even hesitate to go on the bike in November, commuting or not.

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:45 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 bikes, one I commute on and the other is for summer.

Prior to the new online & direct debit tax system, I would usually tax the Summer ride from April - September or May - October.

Typically my ER6 would only ever go on a ride out in either April or October. Now it's less so.

Now I tax my Z from April - October.

This weekend is looking good and I will be out on the Z.

Only once in about 14 years has the biking gods been good enough for a November big ride out and that was a couple of years back.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:44 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three pages later, skipping the entire thread and answering the original question because it kills five minutes of my day but contributes nothing but irreverent information: no.

It's nowhere near troublesome road condition time yet, down here at least. My limits are drawn at snow and ice: once was enough to realise a 200-230 kg bike isn't the ideal tool to attempt to manual handle in the latter of the two listed conditions.

I awake to frosty conditions this morning and enjoyed the change of scenery. Stick on the thermals and crack on with the ride.

Saying that as time advances and I spent more time on a motorbike I'm leaning towards picking and choosing what weather I wish to ride in: beforehand I would have just blindly rode into whatever weather conditions were present that day.

So yeah, mix of yes and no. I ride when I wish but never really "put it away ready for next season."

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:48 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
It's nowhere near troublesome road condition time yet, down here at least.

I'm near London, its no longer 20+, thats too cold.

SQL
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:05 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSXR has pr4's on it now so acf50 and job jobbed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:46 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

I came across a Harley Davidson today, you're being outdone. Tut Tut

I've been down to five degree's but called that my limit last winter because beyond that pavements became an ice rink and, as above, attempting to wrestle the bike around by hand became a challenge between welcoming the next day in and not dropping the bike.

I no longer view the risk of such conditions worthwhile. I could just ride in and out, in theory, but think if I can't push it around do I really want to be putting me foot down while slowing from 10,20,30 mph + on the same conditions out and about.

Contrary to the above I do look outside some days and say, "Daysaver, sound." It's wherever the mood takes me.

Keep in mind though that I don't own a car and unless I want to endure the public or several hours of coldness commuting by bike, although not the most pleasant, is often the fastest way to get to work and back.

I only really enjoyed today because it was the one of the first (less than a handful) semi-social ride (to a bike shop) that I've done this year. Other than that I wouldn't have bothered taking it out.

I've -- perhaps rather scarily now I've done the math -- not even done 2,000 miles this year though so perhaps is why I feel an itch to scratch -- poor mileage even by commuting standards. Can't wait to empty my bank account and get back on the roads.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:55 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use all three bikes all year round so simple answer is NO.... (unless we get snow)

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:56 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

wimp Middle Finger

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:43 - 13 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:
I use all three bikes all year round so simple answer is NO.... (unless we get snow)

Or you crash it and all the other bikes are too tall for you.

sidewinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:54 - 13 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the roads are rideable I'll use the bike..winter prep good wash oil up . And acf50 applied

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:04 - 13 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:
Paddy. wrote:

wimp Middle Finger

You'll get on well with Fazer, he's an all weather hero like you.

Us summer bikers will watch you fighting the blizzards, braving the sleet and overcoming the snowdrifts with awe and respect.

Clapping Clapping Clapping

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:41 - 13 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:

To be fair, I enjoy riding in snow, less keen on slush, but snow can be good fun. I remember a few years back, on the good old Arrow, having to get back from Birmingham to Wolverhampton .. There had been a heavy, and relatively sudden snow fall, and the snow was still falling. It took me pretty much 2 hours to get home, but, passing all those cars that were stuck, practically the whole length of the black country route, heading in both directions, made the ride all the more sweet Thumbs Up Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 168 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7