Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Optimate (or other charger) Recomendations

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:09 - 01 Nov 2017    Post subject: Optimate (or other charger) Recomendations Reply with quote

With the weather drawing in, and all this chat recently about batteries and Optimates etc, i thought i'd have a look into getting one myself......

.......... what a bloody minefield, on the Optimate website themselves, they offer about 25 different versions, let alone other brands/makes of these sort of optimising chargers

So, recommendations please for a nice, cheap, simple hook up and forget battery charger, or are there good advantages to going for a more fancy one, and if so which one

Bike is a 2003 CB600FS Hornet, if that makes any difference

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:17 - 01 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've moved away from optimate and their christmas tree lights, when my optimate 4 broke after not having it too long.

Get a Ctek 0.8 amp (think the model is xs0.8), or do what I did, and get the 5amp model that does both car and bike batteries, if you're someone who messes with car batteries.

I have owned both Ctek models, and would say the quality was higher than the optimate. The car one is pricy (£60), but if you look at it as something you buy once, it should be worth it.

Ctek tends to be the charger that comes with high end cars like lamborghini, bmw etc.

For nice cheap/hook it up, definitely get the 0.8amp ctek I recommended.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:30 - 01 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh cheers Blue, will have a look at that one, i already have a car battery charger, so sorted on that front, although it is pretty old, so it might be worth an upgrade anyway, depending on how much more that 5 amp model is

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:36 - 01 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Aldi one, which works really well for me. Won't get cheaper (if you can still find one in your local store)
https://www.aldi.co.uk/autoxs-car-battery-charger/p/095402169939100

ride_to_die
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:41 - 01 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a basic ctek charger. Used for years on bikes and cars. Still going strong.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
I have the Aldi one, which works really well for me. Won't get cheaper (if you can still find one in your local store)
https://www.aldi.co.uk/autoxs-car-battery-charger/p/095402169939100

Bugger, that would have been spot on, but that is the biggest problem with Aldi stuff, you can only buy them at certain times of the year

Looks like Halfords have got a (small) sale on batteries and chargers (10% off), so got the CTEK XS0.8 for £33

Currently the leader, unless anyone can come up with anything better before the weekend, i'll probably get one of those

Last edited by rpsmith79 on 16:42 - 01 Nov 2017; edited 1 time in total

Mark65
World Chat Champion

CTEK, I use mine once a week for the past year and a bit, will do the car also if needed.

Landy10
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:45 - 01 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the optimate 3 and the small harness you put on to the battery that gives you a small two pin plug you can have hanging out below seat etc. Makes it less of a faff having to remove seat to plug charger on

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:00 - 01 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landy10 wrote:
I have the optimate 3 and the small harness you put on to the battery that gives you a small two pin plug you can have hanging out below seat etc. Makes it less of a faff having to remove seat to plug charger on

Just been looking into the CTEK one, and that has a similar looking harness to leave permanently connected to the battery terminals

I'm just a bit baffled by all the version of the Optimate, it wouldn't be so bad if they had like a compare chart or something to help you choose which one you need

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:56 - 01 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a couple of Optimate 4s that have given me a good few years of flawless service. Thumbs Up

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:08 - 01 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a CTEK charger and it fried every single battery I ever put on it (3 car batteries and a bike battery).

I emailed them about it and they flatly stated that the charger was not at fault and the batteries were all duff. Despite the fact that the at least 2 of the batteries in question had been charged on other chargers earlier on in their functioning lifetime.
CTEK did offer for me to send the charger to them and they would test it but I was young and preoccupied with other things so I just bought an Oxford charger and haven't had an issue since.

Bikeless
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:25 - 01 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had an optimate 3,it broke so i bought a Ctek 5.0,to be honest I've only used it a few times to top up my car during winter, never really needed chargers except when my bikes were laid up for winter.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:53 - 01 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The £9 'wallwart' style charger from Lidl lasted nearly 8 years. RIP.

This is a couple of years old and does the job.
https://www.a1decoy.co.uk/ekmps/shops/a1decoy/images/oxford-oximiser-charger-365-p[ekm]1000x1000[ekm].jpg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:42 - 01 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
Freddyfruitbat wrote:
I have the Aldi one, which works really well for me. Won't get cheaper (if you can still find one in your local store) https://www.aldi.co.uk/autoxs-car-battery-charger/p/095402169939100

Bugger, that would have been spot on, but that is the biggest problem with Aldi stuff, you can only buy them at certain times of the year

Don't instantly rule it out though - I certainly noticed one very recently in my local store (not all Aldi 'specials' sells out on during the week they go on sale...)

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:47 - 01 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't personally understand why all the talk about battery chargers, never used on in my life...

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:01 - 02 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:
don't personally understand why all the talk about battery chargers, never used on in my life...

Agreed - to an extent. What's it actually for? If the bike is alarmed and going to be laid up over winter then I could understand, or maybe in winter you only make one or two short journeys a week. Otherwise take the battery out. Why do you feel the urge to get one?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:00 - 02 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Courier265 wrote:

Agreed - to an extent. What's it actually for? If the bike is alarmed and going to be laid up over winter then I could understand, or maybe in winter you only make one or two short journeys a week. Otherwise take the battery out. Why do you feel the urge to get one?

For the exact reason you stated, won't be using the bike much over Winter, but certainly not laying it up till spring, so want it ready for the odd dry/sunny day we get over the next few months

And Courier, i'm guessing by your name you either are/were a courier, so probably use your bike every day, hence you you don't see a need for them

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:04 - 02 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Courier265 wrote:

I'm of the opinion that a battery charger is almost an essential in a motorcyclist's arrangement of tools and equipment.

Arrow When you buy a new battery, it needs charging.
Arrow If you happen to get caught out with a low battery when the cold weather comes in, you can plug in for 15mins to get the charge needed to start the bike.
Arrow If you go on a 2 week holiday and come home to a flat battery, you can just charge it up.
Arrow Motorcycle chargers can be used on car batteries as well.
Arrow There was a thread posted in the last few days where the OP had been working on his bike with the ignition/lights on for 40 minutes and flattened the battery's power.
Arrow My dad's scooter has a slow discharge happening somewhere on his bike; works fine day-to-day but if he doesn't use the bike for a week or so the battery wont have enough in it to start the bike.
Arrow My CBR, having been sat outside for a year, regardless of me trying to routinely start it; battery has gone flat a couple of times - charged it up, lovely jubbly.

I know manual bikes can be bump started, but still; whacking a charger on for a bit is much less exhausting!!

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:07 - 02 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Otherwise take the battery out. Why do you feel the urge to get one?

Because on some bikes removing the battery is a complete PITA. Bits of inner fairing off, tank up etc. My ZX12 battery was hidden inside the frame. The idea of an Optimate is fit the fly lead once and forget about it. Charge, unplug, ride.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:44 - 02 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:

then you cannot have had many bikes then ..

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:09 - 02 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Own something like a Tuono with a sprag clutch that often gets damaged if the engine is turned over whilst the battery is not fully charged and you'll be ruing the decision not to keep it on the trickle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

groovylee
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:07 - 02 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

haroman666 wrote:

Arrow There was a thread posted in the last few days where the OP had been working on his bike with the ignition/lights on for 40 minutes and flattened the battery's power.

whilst waiting for some duffer on the eurotunnel to be recovered because he left his ignition/lights on, i laughed heartily at his predicament.

with my lights and ignition on, and phone charging, and sat nav plugged in Embarassed

i didn't curse too much when my bike wouldn't start once he had moved out of the way Laughing

so i can concur that motorbike batteries can flatten quite quickly if you forget about the ignition being on....

Current - 2002 Aprilia RSV1000R & 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:37 - 02 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
The £9 'wallwart' style charger from Lidl lasted nearly 8 years. RIP.

This is a couple of years old and does the job.
https://www.a1decoy.co.uk/ekmps/shops/a1decoy/images/oxford-oximiser-charger-365-p[ekm]1000x1000[ekm].jpg

Got one as well, although I thought Oxford stuff was for noobs. Problem with them is they won't charge a really flat battery, they'll just go nah no thanks.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:09 - 02 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^Ta for the info. Thumbs Up

I can't recall why I chose that particular charger, it wasn't a price thing, plenty cheaper out there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ebbs73
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:01 - 02 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you bought one yet ?

I've not used mine for 5-6 years now , you are welcome to it if you want .

Just pm me and I'll get it posted .

Cheers

Chris
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 177 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2