BCF: Bike Chat Forums

MCE insurance good / bad / avoid ??

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 12:00 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As other say, MCE are cheap but shite. I Just paid £297 for my 2 bikes, Bennets wanted £470, CN £1100 Laughing

I'm 30 licence for 11 years and 9 NCB, no claims or points and the bikes are a 15 year old TDM900 and an 11 year old Speed Four Rolling Eyes

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:16 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing I forgot - they have a habit of flogging policies with a huge voluntary excess without really highlighting it or you requesting it. I've seen some policies with a grand excess FFS.

Last edited by arry on 14:51 - 06 Nov 2017; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:49 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
I've seen some policies with a grand excess FFS.

I had one Smile A guy at work was smug about his fully comp' policy with them, £1500 excess on a £1600 (new) Chinese scooter Rolling Eyes

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:21 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd treat any MCE policy as effectively TPO .

MattEMulsion wrote:
I wouldn't piss on Motorcycle Direct if they were on fire.

I would, but only if it would prolong their suffering.

Most of my spam is to the unique email account that I provided to them many years ago.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:03 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no guarantees with any of them. The only one I have ever claimed on was the old Norwich Union (Aviva to you youngsters) which was no problem however my friend who had his 1200 Bandit stolen and torched had to jump through hoops to get a payout from them. They said the inspecting engineer reckoned the steering lock hadn't been fastened.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:22 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
They said the inspecting engineer reckoned the steering lock hadn't been fastened.

What a c**t. An engineer (appointed by MCE) inspected my bike, as the other sides had already been I told him they'd valued it at £3300. He said ok I'll do the same... the report came back with £3000 on it Rolling Eyes

Basically I then had to chase the other report, which TBF the company were good about giving to me.

Cadbury
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:34 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just insured my new bike through BeMoto.

'Refreshingly different' is the general consensus from most reviews I've seen of them, and i'd have to echo that. Obviously not had to claim anything, but the process of purchasing (whilst can only be done on the phone) was pretty straight forward.
They were pretty much on the money for quote prices, but included a few extras and a far lower excess than anything else i'd tried.

MinhDinh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:43 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think there will unlikely be a problem of a claim, then they are cheap which is what most of us want.

I have had claims against others and MCE or their lawyers were pretty good. They were persistent when I was a lazy shit to send documents back etc...

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:08 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

With them now, have been past couple of years, have 5 bikes insured ranging from 250 through 1200 and it's under £500. Never made a claim, and would rebuild myself if necessary. I always treat insurance as legal rather than a safety net.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:09 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MinhDinh wrote:
I have had claims against others and MCE or their lawyers were pretty good. They were persistent when I was a lazy shit to send documents back etc...

Almost tempted to give a thumbs down Smile They were appalling at every stage, and if they weren't so much cheaper than everybody else, would be the reason for not using them.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:26 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MinhDinh wrote:
MCE or their lawyers were pretty good.

Their lawyers, or a random firm of paralegals that they sold your case to?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:46 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
MinhDinh wrote:

It's genuinely hard to tell. I was getting letters from 3 different law firms from the same address, one of which was on MCE letterheads.

MinhDinh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:48 - 10 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
MinhDinh wrote:

You are right, it may have been a case that was sold because these people were persistent!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:23 - 10 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MinhDinh wrote:
it may have been a case that was sold because these people were persistent!

What you're meant to say is:

"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel"

And then tell them that they've got the wrong number.

Wink

TheBikerStig
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:35 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speedy2007 wrote:
I was hit by a driver running a red light on my S1000XR on 13 March 2016. Driver failed to stop. That was on a Sunday and I reported it to MCE that day and in more detail the next day. Bike did not go down and I was not injured. However the front wheel was smashed round so badly the bike was not rideable.

Next thing I heard from MCE, despite my chasing, was 22 April when they told me the bike would be collected for inspection. That didn't happen till early May and eventually I got the bike back in early September.

Nobody cared. Nobody called back when they said they would. I only got the bike back when I did after I contacted the chief exec. Customer service at MCE does not exist. They have no concern for individual circumstances and no-one will ever "own" a problem.

That said, I did get the bike back fully repaired. I saved a little bit of money by complaining to the ombudsman who awarded me a few hundred ponds in compo.

I decided that, to me, the hassle I went through with MCE was not worth the lower premium. I personally will never use them again but, as others have said, it's your decision.

One way round that is to have 3rd party only cover from MCE. That way the only claims on your MCE insurance will be someone else's problem. Get your breakdown, theft or what ever cover from a company with a much better reputation. I still think your not gonna be much better off in the long term tho. Make a claim for a loss, and you will ultimately end up paying it back eventually through increased premiums. Insurance is one big cunt.
Some say that he is the sole survivor of Atlantis, and that he refused to speed test a new Hayabusa this morning simply because there was no milk for his Brexit. All we know is hes called TheBikerStig.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 130 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2