Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Recall for swings arms falling off BMW R-nine-T

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:46 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Recall for swings arms falling off BMW R-nine-T Reply with quote

https://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-general-news/bmw-r-ninet-be-recalled

Mouth of Sauron wrote:
Zere haff been nein reported issuez off any problems viz any bikes and zis recall voz issued as ein precautionary measure.

<LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.png>

Enjoy your impromptu hard tails, Hipsteratti.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:24 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't matter, they will still sell like hotcakes.

Anyway, its an anti BMW conspiracy. Triumph are sabotaging them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWXQUhBsUVM

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:47 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

One would assume, that BMW already mastered this type of swingarm, after decades of using it. Thinking

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:49 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: Recall for swings arms falling off BMW R-nine-T Reply with quote

Quote:
: “There have been no reported issues of any problems with any bikes and this recall was issued as a precautionary measure.”

Turns out it's only an issue when you've racked up over 1000 miles on the bike!

Razz

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:50 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

By jove, BMW have a run of bad luck haven't they. The early S1000RR engine going pop, the flaking paint on the engine cases and recalls on the GS for a steering bearing that could fail, now this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:00 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

no schadenfreude here then ...

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:32 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has it actually killed anyone this time?

Shhh! Kevin Ash

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:42 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
Has it actually killed anyone this time?

Shhh! Kevin Ash

BMW haven't heard from a single rider claiming to have been killed. Hand

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:21 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they eventually going to release a full on clown bike where the forks fall off, swingarm falls off and the engine goes bang. Matching clothing?

Shame really as they've produced some interesting bikes.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:18 - 17 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 recalls in 5 weeks so says an American bike journo.

He made some points that some of those 'recalls' were for things like reflectors not fitted on panniers and the incorrect wheel size that is stamped into the wheel at manufacture.

He went on to say that out of all the makers BMW are the 'most' supportive and proactive out of the lot of 'em.

Honda flat refused that there was an issue with rusting spokes on the new Africa Twin then subtly upgraded the spokes later on.
Ducati did the same thing with the flaking rocker cams in the 748.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:37 - 17 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had a problem with Triumph. They have informed me when there were any recalls or issues.

They replaced the head on both the Trophy and the Tiger Explorer because some got noisy at high mileages. At the same time they replaced the ECU and side stand on the Tiger.

Now of course these are flagship bikes and I have no doubt they wanted to keep the owners sweet. After all they have just spent between 11 and 14 thousand pound on their bikes. If they would be so forthcoming on the 'cheaper' end of their range I do not know.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:55 - 17 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
He went on to say that out of all the makers BMW are the 'most' supportive and proactive out of the lot of 'em.

Sure, when they're eventually forced to admit that there's a problem, they issue yet another recall.

Howling Terror wrote:
Honda flat refused that there was an issue with rusting spokes on the new Africa Twin then subtly upgraded the spokes later on.
Ducati did the same thing with the flaking rocker cams in the 748.

BMW to this day deny that there was a head shake problem on the first water cooled GS model that killed Kevin Ash, and which was reported by several survivors of it.

Yet they installed a steering damper the next year, for no reason. No reason at all.

Flaking sump and engine paint? No, no, sir, that's owner abuse, that is. Oh, it happens on every single bike? Well, then every single owner must be abusing them. We carefully vet potential owners to ensure it, that must be it.

They prop up the bottom of Murcan reliability charts. We don't have enough bike sales here to even have those, but I wouldn't expect anything different.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:46 - 17 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^Then there's Yamaha Flagship R1 in 2015, where they recalled every single one sold to replace the gearbox after a number of failures. Fair play. Thumbs Up

So it begs the question, would I buy a bike from a manufacturer with a better reliability rating compared to the others?

No I wouldn't.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:24 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:

So it begs the question, would I buy a bike from a manufacturer with a better reliability rating compared to the others?

I wouldn't necessarily choose a bike specifically because it has a good rating, but the tales of poor reliability has put me off buying a modern BMW - which is a shame, because on paper an RT (or even a GS if I could get over the Ewan and thingy image) would be a good bike for me.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:38 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^But that's the main thing. Don't be put off by the maker or the bike, just find the right model in the right year. The current S1000RR is spot on. A GS from 20?? will be a reliable (heavy) tourer.

MV F800. Wouldn't touch a 1st gen. Would strongly consider a newer one.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:41 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

But with the big BMWs, for example, it seems that you have to go pre-1200 (and ideally a pre-1998 1100) to get them prior to the quality reduction meaning expensive items like final drives fail. That means going for something that is towards the end of its life from an age point of view.

I do 25k miles per year on a big bike and, whilst not rich, could afford to buy any sensible bike on the market (i.e. not an H2!). I should be prime BMW material, yet wouldn't touch one due to their reputation for expensive faults.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:37 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:
But with the big BMWs, for example, it seems that you have to go pre-1200 (and ideally a pre-1998 1100) to get them prior to the quality reduction meaning expensive items like final drives fail. That means going for something that is towards the end of its life from an age point of view.

Yup.

The last Recovery Van Man I spoke to said he had a 1150 that was still going strong and wouldn't touch any of the 1200s, reckoned modern BMWs made up the majority of his business.

At some point you have to stop making excuses for them Weinsteining us.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:43 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
bamt wrote:

Yup.

The last Recovery Van Man I spoke to said he had a 1150 that was still going strong and wouldn't touch any of the 1200s, reckoned modern BMWs made up the majority of his business.

At some point you have to stop making excuses for them Weinsteining us.

Karma to the Borgmeister for correct use of the Wienstien word. Karma

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:20 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

They also make up the majority of sales though.

He probably rarely sees a broken down Suzuki Whistle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:04 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

They also make up the majority of sales though.

He probably rarely sees a broken down Suzuki Whistle

And they Beemirs aye get a lot of negative comment from Green Monsters. Very Happy

I own two BMWs (plus a motor) and I'm first to say that the Brand Reputation for Robustness is Fackin' Fake.
Although none of my BMWs have so much as farted at the wrong time for ages.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:00 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would think bike manufacturers would have reliability and robustness down to a fine art now but they all seem to have bad points.

Of my bought brand new bikes the paint on my STR was a soft as shit, used to rub off as soon as look at it when bungy cords were applied.

Tiger and Trophy had said head problems.

The only brand new bike I have had absolutly zero problems with was my Suzuki Hayabusa.

Yet my wife's dirt cheap (less than half the price of my Trophy) Renault Twingo has done 50000 miles since new, 1 dealer service to keep the warranty, and has never missed a beat or flashed a warning light at me.

Go figure.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:57 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consumer surveys for cars expose the pups, and people do buy based on reliability (I just bought a Hyundai, gonnae no nuke Korea). Manufacturers have to improve or wither.

We don't have the same luxury with bikes. Absent MCN's occasional surveys (are they still doing them?) it's all anecdotes, and heart-over-head.

And with many new bikes being rented rather than owned, it becomes even less of an issue since ultimately you could just cancel the direct debit and invite the finance company to take possession of their broken BMW bike.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:08 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Consumer surveys for cars expose the pups, and people do buy based on reliability (I just bought a Hyundai, gonnae no nuke Korea). Manufacturers have to improve or wither.

We don't have the same luxury with bikes. Absent MCN's occasional surveys (are they still doing them?) it's all anecdotes, and heart-over-head.

And with many new bikes being rented rather than owned, it becomes even less of an issue since ultimately you could just cancel the direct debit and invite the finance company to take possession of their broken BMW bike.

They will repair id under rental/finance.

It's at the end of the agreement when you stop payin' they stop playin'.

Dealers/Manufuck-you-ers know how necessary reliability is. If it is not reliable then they will have it on their plate.

If you have paid for it then it is on your plate.

Unless you continued to fork out your first born for some extended warranty/mechanical breakdown insurance policy (called warranty).

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:24 - 21 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
You would think bike manufacturers would have reliability and robustness down to a fine art now but they all seem to have bad points.

The new Triumph T120 I bought in 2016 was the worst bike I've ever owned in terms of build quality. It wasn't state of the art technology issues it was basics - instruments that steamed up in the rain making them illegible and electroplating that corroded instantly. Lousy engineering processes and apparently non-existent quality control and a company that accuses owners of neglect rather than putting out a decent product. I'll never have another Triumph.

The unreliable shite that BMW and Ducati in the form of the Multi-Strada shovel out beggars belief, but if people keep shelling out stupid amounts of money, then who can blame them.

If people keep buying unreliable crap they'll keep selling it!!

The last bike reliability survey I read had the 4 Japanese manufacturers at the pointy end with Yamaha No.1 and no surprise that BMW were 10th and last.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 160 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1