Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Would you consider buying an electric motorcycle? And why?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

If you don't already own one: Would you consider buying an electric motorcycle?
Definitely (6)
25%
 25%  [ 14 ]
Very Probably (5)
7%
 7%  [ 4 ]
Probably (4)
7%
 7%  [ 4 ]
Possibly (3)
22%
 22%  [ 12 ]
Probably Not (2)
18%
 18%  [ 10 ]
Definitely Not (1)
18%
 18%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 54

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:11 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Sure, sure, in the future when things work differently to the way they work, things will work differently.

Part of the problem is that some dinosaurs are still roaming about and haven't yet turned into oil or gas.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:20 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

1198 wrote:
I commute 280 miles twice weekly. My zzr requires just the one stop for fuel, and cruises at '70' all day. I service it myself. Until I can do that with an electric motor, probably not.

What servicing do you think you'd need to do?

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:40 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

1198 wrote:
I commute 280 miles twice weekly. My zzr requires just the one stop for fuel, and cruises at '70' all day. I service it myself. Until I can do that with an electric motor, probably not.

That's all well and good, what servicing are you planning on doing on a maintainence free sealed electric motor ??

As stated on the Zero site

https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/technology/ wrote:

Even more impressive, the compact brushless motor requires no liquid or forced-air cooling and requires no routine maintenance

G wrote:

Until 100% of power is coming from non-renewables, using an electric vehicles is 'much-always going to be displacing electicity usage, meaning more fossil fuels burnt.

And of course there's nuclear - but many connect 'green' with glowing, not good for the environment there.

Not there yet, however, there ash already been at least 1 day this year, in which no coal was need to generate electricity in the UK, and this is only going to increase.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:51 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

Not there yet, however, there ash already been at least 1 day this year, in which no coal was need to generate electricity in the UK, and this is only going to increase.

Well; that may well rather depend on how many people buy electric vehicles Smile.

techathy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:48 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
What are insurance prices like on the Zero? What level of motorbike do they band it with? 250, 500?

It didn't increase the premiums on my multi-bike policy.

It's hard to say. It won't go more than 85mph (even then only for short periods). However, under 40mph it'll hold its own against litre bikes. Officially it's an A2 bike but on tight 'n twisty B/unclassified roads it's more likely to get you into trouble than my other two bikes, this is helped by it's 133kg kerb mass.

I wouldn't have one, or any of its longer legged siblings, as my sole motorised transport. However I'd happily have on as a daily commute bike then combine it with say a large car or full on touring bike for longer trips.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:24 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
Part of the problem is that some dinosaurs are still roaming about and haven't yet turned into oil or gas.

I'm venting hot air as fast as I can. Folded arms

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:33 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:

Hahaha, to be fair, I probably fall into that age group now

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:09 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contacted the UK importer/Dealer for Evoke, asking about availability & price, here's the reply I got ..

From the Evoke Uk Dealers/importer wrote:

There is a demo bike on route so it should be on display an Motorcycle live
Not 100% sure on final price but it will be significantly cheaper than a Zero
Bikes will be type approved spring of next year

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:03 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap electric bikes in the future, you say? Whistle

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:14 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason I ride bike is its smells nice and the screaming can.

If you want something ridiculously expensive and boring buy Dyson cleaner or Dyson electric car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:21 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:

Sounds like you're the one that needs to find a fun bike! Smile

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:03 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:

Sounds like an ice cream van Laughing Laughing

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:29 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another that looks interesting, and it looks like they have their sights set on Europe

https://evnerds.com/electric-vehicles/e-motorcycle-news/white-ghost-electric-motorcycle-by-sur-ron/

https://evnerds.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/170618-41.jpg

Slightly lower performance spec's, 10KW, 60mph max, and 60 mile range, however, by all accounts, likely to very competitively priced.

And, here's 1 I really like the look of, it'll be ~20K though and definitely not a 125 alternative !!

https://www.tacita.it/t-cruise/

https://electrek.files.wordpress.com/2017/10/dsc_2215b-1024x689.jpg?quality=82&strip=all&w=1200&h=

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:49 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Here's another that looks interesting, and it looks like they have their sights set on Europe

https://evnerds.com/electric-vehicles/e-motorcycle-news/white-ghost-electric-motorcycle-by-sur-ron/

https://evnerds.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/170618-41.jpg

Slightly lower performance spec's, 10KW, 60mph max, and 60 mile range, however, by all accounts, likely to very competitively priced.

Looks OKish, I'd probably get used to it but competitively priced to what? 60mph is definitely commuter 125 level so is it going to be around the £3000 mark? I very much doubt it.

And it all comes back to 60 mile range, so realistically 50 a=then you are panicking for a charging point. No, not yet. Maybe when every parking space in the land has an electric hookup or some bright spark has worked out under road on the go charging then just maybe I'd consider one.

Actually I probably wouldn't as I am a fucking dinosaur Thumbs Up

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:55 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Looks OKish, I'd probably get used to it but competitively priced to what? 60mph is definitely commuter 125 level so is it going to be around the £3000 mark? I very much doubt it.

And it all comes back to 60 mile range, so realistically 50 a=then you are panicking for a charging point. No, not yet. Maybe when every parking space in the land has an electric hookup or some bright spark has worked out under road on the go charging then just maybe I'd consider one.

Who knows what the pricing will be, however, their dirt bikes go for around $2000. However, what it does show, is that Electric Motorbikes will become more readily available, sooner rather than later

And to be fair, there are far fewer new 125's that are available for £3000 ..

secretagentmo...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:49 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Who knows what the pricing will be, however, their dirt bikes go for around $2000. However, what it does show, is that Electric Motorbikes will become more readily available, sooner rather than later

Really?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:56 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

And, here's 1 I really like the look of, it'll be ~20K though and definitely not a 125 alternative !!

https://www.tacita.it/t-cruise/

https://electrek.files.wordpress.com/2017/10/dsc_2215b-1024x689.jpg?quality=82&strip=all&w=1200&h=

If you like the look of that my friend, my I respectfully suggest YOU GO TO SPECSAVERS. Laughing

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:02 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
However, what it does show, is that Electric Motorbikes will become more readily available, sooner rather than later

Well, as long as cheap, usable electric bikes don't arrive before Rainpal® - I'm not sure I'd want to risk it.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:04 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

If you like the look of that my friend, my I respectfully suggest YOU GO TO SPECSAVERS. Laughing[/quote]

Laughing Laughing Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:19 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fag bikes make a lot of sense for electric - just need a sound generator/vibrator - you could set the latter two to run when stationary too, without spending out on all that costly dirty fuel.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:20 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

secretagentmole wrote:

Really?

Yes really ..

Of the mainstream brands ..

Honda
MSX125 = £3293
CBR125 = £3799
Suzuki
GSXR-125 = £3999
GXSR-125GP = £4099
Yamaha
YZF-R125 = £4599
MT-125 = £4299

OK, so, not all, you have ..

Honda
CBF125 = £2799
Yamaha
YS125 = £2799

As for chinese brands, you still have some scope there to get new bikes for less than £3000, particularly from Lexmoto and Zontes however, most of the Sinnis, Mash, AJS, etc branded 125's are now over £2000.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:10 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is, to go back to that white one....

Manufacturers range says 60 miles. Is that 60 miles at full throttle, at 56 miles and hour as the ICE car people go for or at 25 or some random plucked from mid air figure?

The factor in battery degradation? Someone put that batteries can drop 20% before they would be considered for guarantee exchange. That would bring the range down to 48 miles.

Yes I can see a use for a 5/10 mile commute or shopping trip but why jazz it up in a pretty dress because a range of 48 miles for a leisure machine is just ludicrous. Anyway, for that distance an electric assist bike would be ample, even for an unfit old fart like me.

I know I'm rehashing what others have said and as much as I would like to see it work I just can't.

Put it this way, I'd rather have a Chinese 125 and any left over cash which shows you how little I rate the present electric bikes.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:43 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Someone put that batteries can drop 20% before they would be considered for guarantee exchange.

If they're still around.

Zero will go under shortly after their taxpayer subsidy dries up.

Heck, even Tesla are currently laying people off.

Given the time to pay off, I'd only consider an electric offering from Honda, Yamaha, or maybe Kawasaki.

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:06 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The elephant in the electric bikes room: how many people really want Samsung Galaxy Note 7 near the balls? Middle Finger

The poll say 32 Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:22 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
The elephant in the electric bikes room: how many people really want Samsung Galaxy Note 7 near the balls? Middle Finger

The poll say 32 Rolling Eyes

As opposed to a large tank of highly flammable liquid, which can be explosive in the right conditions placed just above one or more chambers that themselves may have hundreds of explosions a second to make large bits of metals bounce up and down, stopped from flying up with pins....
The battery actually sounds pretty safe! Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 178 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4