Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

About to do Direct Access, training centre opinions...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:30 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: About to do Direct Access, training centre opinions... Reply with quote

So after moving back home for a bit ive finally saved up enough to do my Direct Access course...

Some googling I have found Camriders, they have a centre in Norwich...

https://www.camrider.com/uk-locations/norwich/prices-and-courses.html

And for a 4 day course they charge 469 quid. From what i can tell that's including the test fees and bike hire.

Has anyone here used these guys? Have anything good or bad to say about them?

The price certainly seems cheap so I wonder if there's a catch.

Also ive been riding now for 10 months. Would the 4 day course be the right choice?

What do you lot think?

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:37 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me personally, would look at getting a single lesson with them (if reviews are cool)an ask them what they think of your skillz

You may need more/ less training?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:49 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the 4 day course (many moons ago) after 3 or 4 years of riding on a CBT and really could have done it over 3 days with hindsight.

If you have good balance and can control the bike well, 3 day course would be fine (imo)

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:52 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So -- if my understanding is correct -- you're going from a CBT to your first full license -- A?

I'd go on a pay as you go basis simple because pre-booked courses are great when you pass first time but more money and leave a sour taste when you don't, also regardless of how well you think you can ride there's no one shoe fits all amount of training time when it comes to the school getting you up to the standard of being happy to put you in for the tests.

I'd say book a day's worth of training and see where you're at. At the end of it see how much they want you to do before a Module one test and then book that plus the test. After the module one see how much you'll need for Module 2 and then book that and the Module 2.

On the whole you're better of going down a local car park with some cones than you are expecting to get full on Module 1 training: several hours on a car park would drive anyone nuts. In reality you're training will be out on the road and maybe an hour on the test pad.

Also keep notice of the fairly standard practice of putting you on a tiddler first before letting you on an A2/A bike. I, however, went straight onto a GS 500 because "yup I've got my own bike and yup I commute like a handful -- then -- times a week."

Training takes forever and costs an arm and a leg.

Still got to do my A license, canne be bothered.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:03 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Training schools like saying how many days a course is but I'd be much more interested in how many hours riding time you get for your money.

What happens if you fail mod 1, do you lose your mod 2 booking that's already been paid for or will they move you to a later date at no additional cost?

What happens if you fail mod 2, is the only option their £110.00 extra session?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:13 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sub £500 I'd just pay it and do it. They get good reviews. Nip down there, have a chat with them, see if you can get along and if so, get the damn thing done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:15 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Training schools like saying how many days a course is but I'd be much more interested in how many hours riding time you get for your money.

What happens if you fail mod 1, do you lose your mod 2 booking that's already been paid for or will they move you to a later date at no additional cost?

Good points, ill email and ask...

And NJD yeah ive been riding anywhere from once a week to 5 days a week... In town, country roads and busy A roads... im confident on a bike in those situations...

But the only thing Im still weary of was the patting head stroking belly thing from the cbt of doing a figure 8 while dragging back break and clutch going at a snails pace...

I must admit I would prefer them to put me on a intermediate bike on the first day of training, so I step up and get used to the extra power before going on the 600... As i feel going from my shitmoto xtrs to a 600 might be a bit of a shock Very Happy

Also money is tight as always... While it might be smarter to try out one days at 100 a pop... Its something i REALLY have to weight up and think about over the discount of a full course.

I will email them and see what there contingencies if any are...

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:27 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thats easy to resolve.

Just get down to an empty car park and practice. You can get the U turn measurements online and find two lines on a carpark around the right distance and crack on.

The swerve test is easyput your weight on which-ever footpeg is on the side you want to swerve while you practice.

Obs you cant practice the 50kph bit Wink But have at it.

The MOD2 stuff is just normal riding with good obs and doing full checks etc etc.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:32 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

These are good questions, and exactly the stuff I sorted out before doing my training.

I ended up doing it in two sessions - each of one and a half days followed by the test. I had been riding for a year or so on a CBT before that.

Didn't fail any tests, so never had to worry about rebooking, but one guy I was training with just booked the test and bike hire through them for his retest.

This was in Bristol ... bit of a trek for the OP Wink

Last edited by Evil Hans on 14:44 - 24 Oct 2017; edited 1 time in total

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:35 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
Well thats easy to resolve.

Just get down to an empty car park and practice. You can get the U turn measurements online and find two lines on a carpark around the right distance and crack on.

The swerve test is easyput your weight on which-ever footpeg is on the side you want to swerve while you practice.

Obs you cant practice the 50kph bit Wink But have at it.

The MOD2 stuff is just normal riding with good obs and doing full checks etc etc.

Up the road from me theirs a concrete paved area for tractor parking and hay bail storage thats normally free... Its a good space for the uturn practice area if its not too muddy.

And yeah I just emailed them with those questions... Will see what they say

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:49 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Book and pass Theory.

Book and sit mod 1 on your own bike for the princely sum of £15.50. Don't fret if you fumble the U-turn because sportsbike, it's just cheap practice to get you past any test nerves and show that there's nothing to it.

If you can do it on an XTR, you can do it on a 600 with ABS and such, so book the course with confidence and have at it.

Mod 2 is just a ride around. Slow in, sharpish out, job done.

Exclamation Check that you're not getting a Tef as an instructor. Exclamation

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:20 - 25 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 days seems like a lot considering you have been riding 10months already. Though it also does seem bloody cheap so might be worth going for it.

Back in 2009, in Weston super mare, Morses Yamaha dealer, I booked a cbt for £120, a week later did the theory. Then 2 weeks later I did a 3 day DAS, with the single test on Monday morning (I rode around for an hour before the test as well in practice), at a cost of £630... Maybe I got truly robbed price wise! But I felt the amount of training was about right.

I hadn't ever sat on a bike before my cbt (but did have a car licence for 6 years prior).

TbirdX
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:14 - 25 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camrider will be four sessions, not four days. Sessions are usually four hours long, give or take.

From memory, you'll do a 125 to 600 transition, a mod 1 practice session and road ride, mod 1 test, mod 2 test.

If you fail any part you'll have to rebook, about £150 for a mod 1 - £220ish for a mod 2.

It might vary by centre though but that was my experience with Camrider.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:41 - 25 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

£150 for another go at mod 1? Shocked Laughing

TbirdX
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:47 - 25 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, about that. You're paying for four hours essentially. Bike hire and chaperone.

Gunhawk
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:49 - 25 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Cam Rider (Rackheath, Norwich) for my CBT in 2012 and found them to be great.

I then used Tinklers, Norwich to have a 1-1 session to practise MOD1, before doing Mod 1 + 2 on my own 125 (back in the old days in 2012) and found them to be great too.

Bonnie Lad
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:31 - 25 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used craft motorcycle training for my 5 day intensive course in Norwich. Were very good but not in operation anymore by the looks of it.

Twice during our mod 1 practice session our guy told the camrider instructor to do one, as he was using the time we had booked on the mod 1 facility to let his students watch our instructor teach us the routine. Was a bit awkward tbh

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:36 - 25 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said, you may need more time, you may need less time.

I did a half day's training which didn't cost much as an assessment and got me a fair way towards being mod 1 ready (probably could have chanced it)

This was knocked off the cost and I was told I'd only need 3 days and how much extra would be if needed.

I actually passed with half a day remaining which I used towards the maintenance course they offered at the time.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 182 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1