Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Applying for jobs...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:20 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Applying for jobs... Reply with quote

So, following on from me being made 'at risk' at work and currently possibly looking at redundancy, I've been applying all over for jobs to try and get something solid to carry on with.

So far in the past 3 weeks I've applied for about 35 jobs in my field of IT, mostly through agencies. I feel I can do them all, but not all of them match my skills/experience on my CV which is most likely why I sometimes don't hear back.
I've had 2 face to face interviews and one phone interview, I'm still waiting to hear back from 1 face to face but it's been a week now and I'm thinking it's probably going to be a no. I've also had 2 or 3 calls from agencies saying they'll put me forwards for roles that match what I have very well, but then not heard back.

I'm probably being a bit eager, especially since 12 of these jobs I've only applied for this week. But I would hope to have had more contact by now and possibly more interviews. Anyone here been through this and found the same thing? Or even better, anyone here work for a recruitment agency and can tell me how they work - i.e if a job has only just been advertised, do they give it a while for applications to mount up before passing them on to the companies searching for someone?
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:04 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the 'agencies' that picked up my CV seem to be bullshit artists and don't know their arse from their elbow

I still get jobs sent to me that state "must be fluent in German" despite no where on my CV does it state that I speak German

I don't think they bother to read the CVs most of the time, In fact when we were looking for a new sales guy, to replace the one we fired, one agency sent us the CV of the guy we fired!

Not sure where your IT skill set is, but the market's not all that buoyant at the moment, just bide your time, it's early days

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:20 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: Applying for jobs... Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:
So, following on from me being made 'at risk' at work and currently possibly looking at redundancy, I've been applying all over for jobs to try and get something solid to carry on with.

So far in the past 3 weeks I've applied for about 35 jobs in my field of IT, mostly through agencies. I feel I can do them all, but not all of them match my skills/experience on my CV which is most likely why I sometimes don't hear back.
I've had 2 face to face interviews and one phone interview, I'm still waiting to hear back from 1 face to face but it's been a week now and I'm thinking it's probably going to be a no. I've also had 2 or 3 calls from agencies saying they'll put me forwards for roles that match what I have very well, but then not heard back.

I'm probably being a bit eager, especially since 12 of these jobs I've only applied for this week. But I would hope to have had more contact by now and possibly more interviews. Anyone here been through this and found the same thing? Or even better, anyone here work for a recruitment agency and can tell me how they work - i.e if a job has only just been advertised, do they give it a while for applications to mount up before passing them on to the companies searching for someone?

What kind of IT? I assume these are permanent roles you are applying for?

Have you considered contracting instead? The application process is much faster as they like to get people in and working quickly.

I get 2 or 3 phonecalls a day with contract roles all over the place.

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 10:20 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok....

Agencies work for clients, they do not work for candidates.
it is really important you understand that otherwise you end up taking it personally.

Agents are sales focused and nothing else.
Their only interest in you is if they can place you in a position.

it was also explained to me that when dealing with clients they has a triangle which consists of

Cost
Availability
Suitability

Cost and availability often far outweigh suitability.

I don't think two face to face interviews is at all bad.
that at least suggests your CV is getting noticed.

it is often said that an Agent will send the first 3 suitable CV's to the client and no more.

So grow a really thick skin.
install Jobserve , Read , Linked in jobs, Jobsite , Monster apps on your phone.
set up alerts
spam like fuck.

While agents are mostly cockwombles....
resisit the urge to cunt at everyone of them.
you have to be nice as pie.

Once you got new job.
they will not give another shit about you and you don't have to give a shit about them.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:07 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinK98 wrote:

Agencies work for clients, they do not work for candidates.
it is really important you understand that otherwise you end up taking it personally.

Agents are sales focused and nothing else.
Their only interest in you is if they can place you in a position.

This. A while ago there were redundancies in the place I worked, I contacted an agent about a job ad and got put forward. He sent a linked in request to me, I accepted, he then browsed my contacts and sent a message to every one of my colleagues asking if they were interested in being put forward for the same job. I got the job, but also learned a lesson about the morals of agents. Now my LinkedIn contact list is private.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:14 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinK98 wrote:
Once you got new job.
they will not give another shit about you and you don't have to give a shit about them.

Unless you're in a position to hire in the future, in which case they'll be smiles and update calls.

Even applying directly to companies can be frustrating as you end up going through the HR recruitment mong who more likely than not has no understanding of the role you're applying for or relevance of the experience you have explicitly detailed on your cv.

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 11:52 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
ColinK98 wrote:
Once you got new job.

Unless you're in a position to hire in the future, in which case they'll be smiles and update calls.

I suppose is some situations there might be some profit to establishing some sort of working relationship.

But a majority of recruiters are not going to play the long game.
it doesn't help with this months sales target.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:11 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 to take a contract. Even if you think you can't hack it, even if you think you're totally unsuitable, take it. We once had a chap come in, play Minesweeper for a day, then be invited to sod off. He still got paid for that day, at contractor rates.

+1 to don't expect anything from agents. One sent my CV to the company that I was currently working at. Right at the top it listed that company as my current employer. I guess the skill-set was a decent match.

Stick with it, consider everything, take anything, you'll be right.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:21 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:

This. A while ago there were redundancies in the place I worked, I contacted an agent about a job ad and got put forward. He sent a linked in request to me, I accepted, he then browsed my contacts and sent a message to every one of my colleagues asking if they were interested in being put forward for the same job. I got the job, but also learned a lesson about the morals of agents. Now my LinkedIn contact list is private.

Recruitment agencies are the scum of earth, unfortunately it seems you can't get a job without going through one

I was speaking to one about a role, The dirty bastard then phoned the company i was working for and asked them if they were looking for a replacement for me as he was aware i was leaving.

Last edited by duhawkz on 12:57 - 12 Oct 2017; edited 1 time in total

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:36 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current contract is actually within a recruitment agency.

The director is finding these stories highly amusing.... Smile

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:37 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinK98 wrote:
I suppose is some situations there might be some profit to establishing some sort of working relationship.

Laughing I'm not sure it's so much a working relationship, more nuisance calls and being spammed cv's.
I guess it depends on the industry too.

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 12:58 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
My current contract is actually within a recruitment agency.

The director is finding these stories highly amusing.... Smile

is that in-between threatening all the agents with a shitty stick...
apart from the dolly bird with the big tat tat's who's the only one to hit her targets and is getting the free trip to his Weinstein lodge this weekend.

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:27 - 13 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, I'm liking the responses regarding the agencies... Laughing

Got to be honest, I've found them ok to deal with so far. I just don't take anything personally, don't expect calls to be returned unless they've been wanting to speak to me in the first place, and be pleasant at all times.

I learnt yesterday I've got 2 weeks left, so I'm applying for contract work as well now - anything IT support/analyst related basically. I'm sure something will come up sooner rather than later as this covers a broad spectrum and though I haven't got any specific IT qualifications, I do have years of experience in this kind of thing.
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:50 - 13 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go on Indeed (or whatever site works for you) and find job adverts for the kind of roles you want nationwide.
Read them carefully and understand what they're looking for from a candidate. Make notes.
Read your cv. Does it effectively communicate your competence in the skills they are looking for. Even if you don't have direct experience of that type of role, are you showing transferable skills that could fit?

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:44 - 13 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:
I'm sure something will come up sooner rather than later as this covers a broad spectrum and though I haven't got any specific IT qualifications, I do have years of experience in this kind of thing.

Good stuff.

Thumbs Up

Edit:

I'm the same, and it is quite amusing when you go into a company and all the people around you are highly skilled permanent IT people with degrees, and you rock up with nothing more than GCSEs under your belt and a can-do attitude on quadruple their wage Smile

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 12:03 - 16 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2072086-support-vacancy-london?source=superfeed

Useful to you Feasty ?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:37 - 16 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you taking a job before you even know if you've got redundancy? Surely you should wait for a payout first?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:21 - 16 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Why are you taking a job before you even know if you've got redundancy? Surely you should wait for a payout first?

Because...

Feasty wrote:
I learnt yesterday I've got 2 weeks left

Although I presume that means you're only on 2 weeks notice?

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:24 - 16 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's such a minefield, everyone lies on their CV so do that for sure.

When I had to recruit new staff, I would get the stack of CV's and throw the top 80% into the bin, just to weed out the unlucky people.

This is the kind of shit you have to deal with.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:34 - 16 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:

I've never done that, and I never will.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:36 - 16 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Pjay wrote:

People that read your CV are expecting you to lie.

Ask around.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:37 - 16 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Pjay wrote:

That's the sort of thing that would look good on a CV.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:48 - 16 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:

People that read your CV are expecting you to lie.

Ask around.

Not in my industry. It's so small you'd get caught out. To be honest, if I was employed by a company who did not catch a lie on my CV, I'd have to assume they were incompetent or lazy.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:54 - 16 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Not in my industry. It's so small you'd get caught out.
The exception to the rule then.
In the real world (not your bubble) it's rife.
Interviewers will take into account for bullshit on CV's, it's standard practice.

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:01 - 16 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last day is at the end of this month, and whilst I like the idea of having some time off I'd rather get a job quickly and have the spare cash - (what little they're giving me).

I haven't lied on my CV, but strange this has come up as only today I had an agency call me and ask me to add something to my CV that a client was looking for. I have everything else, just not this particular skill set.
I don't feel particularly comfortable doing it but I reckon I can BS pretty well with a little help from my friend Google.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 165 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2