BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Applying for jobs...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:22 - 16 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be scrupulously honest and truthful on your CV.

To the exact degree that you expect any employer to have scruples about being completely honest about the work-life balance, job security and career path.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 16 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:

People that read your CV are expecting you to lie.

Ask around.

It's true, but I don't

I was once told by an ex-boss who hired me that my CV actually undersold me, and I should perhaps expand on the truth slightly Smile

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:28 - 16 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:
My last day is at the end of this month, and whilst I like the idea of having some time off I'd rather get a job quickly and have the spare cash - (what little they're giving me).

I haven't lied on my CV, but strange this has come up as only today I had an agency call me and ask me to add something to my CV that a client was looking for. I have everything else, just not this particular skill set.
I don't feel particularly comfortable doing it but I reckon I can BS pretty well with a little help from my friend Google.

You can expand your cv without BS. 👍

So this new skill they have asked you to add? Is it something you can research online? In which case do it - and then your CV can legitimately contain “basic level in xyz through online training” or something.

The999Kid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:02 - 17 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: Applying for jobs... Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:
So, following on from me being made 'at risk' at work and currently possibly looking at redundancy, I've been applying all over for jobs to try and get something solid to carry on with.

So far in the past 3 weeks I've applied for about 35 jobs in my field of IT, mostly through agencies. I feel I can do them all, but not all of them match my skills/experience on my CV which is most likely why I sometimes don't hear back.
I've had 2 face to face interviews and one phone interview, I'm still waiting to hear back from 1 face to face but it's been a week now and I'm thinking it's probably going to be a no. I've also had 2 or 3 calls from agencies saying they'll put me forwards for roles that match what I have very well, but then not heard back.

I'm probably being a bit eager, especially since 12 of these jobs I've only applied for this week. But I would hope to have had more contact by now and possibly more interviews. Anyone here been through this and found the same thing? Or even better, anyone here work for a recruitment agency and can tell me how they work - i.e if a job has only just been advertised, do they give it a while for applications to mount up before passing them on to the companies searching for someone?

*Thinks* - SECAmb have loads of IT jobs being advertised ill recommend them to Fisty...

*Looks at Fisty's profile* location... sheffield... fuck!
NDB 19/10/1989 - 1/11/2010 |Nowhere.Elyseum wrote: I get the distinct feeling that Tim should be our secret weapon for future trolling. I don't know many people that can rip the piss in Iambic pentameter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:50 - 17 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzoid wrote:
Pjay wrote:

People that read your CV are expecting you to lie.

Ask around.

It's true, but I don't

I was once told by an ex-boss who hired me that my CV actually undersold me, and I should perhaps expand on the truth slightly Smile

I've never lied on my cv. I did go to one interview and met the head of manufacturing for a quick tour around the shop floor. First thing he said to me, "I haven't read your cv, there all full of lies anyway" and then smiled this smug I know it all grin.
I'd never been called a liar at the start of an interview before so it was a new one on me. Really pissed me off.
Later in the interview he kept asking me why I wanted to work in a manufacturing company as I had no significant experience in manufacturing.
"Well, up until a year ago I had worked at x firm for seven years which is a manufacturing company, I wouldn't call that insignificant experience. That is in my cv".
Utter dick.

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:44 - 17 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: Applying for jobs... Reply with quote

The999Kid wrote:
*Thinks* - SECAmb have loads of IT jobs being advertised ill recommend them to Fisty...

Thumbs Up Laughing Thumbs Up
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:09 - 17 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: Applying for jobs... Reply with quote

The999Kid wrote:
Feasty wrote:
So, following on from me being made 'at risk' at work and currently possibly looking at redundancy, I've been applying all over for jobs to try and get something solid to carry on with.

So far in the past 3 weeks I've applied for about 35 jobs in my field of IT, mostly through agencies. I feel I can do them all, but not all of them match my skills/experience on my CV which is most likely why I sometimes don't hear back.
I've had 2 face to face interviews and one phone interview, I'm still waiting to hear back from 1 face to face but it's been a week now and I'm thinking it's probably going to be a no. I've also had 2 or 3 calls from agencies saying they'll put me forwards for roles that match what I have very well, but then not heard back.

I'm probably being a bit eager, especially since 12 of these jobs I've only applied for this week. But I would hope to have had more contact by now and possibly more interviews. Anyone here been through this and found the same thing? Or even better, anyone here work for a recruitment agency and can tell me how they work - i.e if a job has only just been advertised, do they give it a while for applications to mount up before passing them on to the companies searching for someone?

Fisty is in Bristol, and isn't looking for IT work.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:55 - 17 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see you said you didnt have qualifications - a possibility is goin on the dole for 1 week, using that to sign up for a free college course. i did that when i got made redundant 5 years ago. 1 week dole, free college course in motorsport, and now i work for a large aerospace company as a fully qualified engineer. beats being a bookmaker and a lot better pay.

one door closes another door opens. chin up!

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:29 - 17 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: Applying for jobs... Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Jewlio Rides Again wrote:
Fisty is in Bristol, and isn't looking for IT work.

I bet you can even see what channel he's watching on TV too.

Laughing Laughing

Look at OP's username. Then look up Fisty.

Then add that to the growing list of apologies you need to be handing out, Donk.

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:15 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should totally apply for this linky, move to London, and get bike jacked. Its all the rage on BCF at the moment Sad

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:06 - 02 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd add a little update to this, for those who may find it mildly interesting!
So I've been given a slight extension, I'm now working till the end of November before I leave with a couple of months payoff. Not such a bad situation to be in I suppose...

So far I've applied for 93 jobs since finding out I was at risk, all jobs I can do or could pick up quickly with a bit of practice, and that are within a 20 mile radius of me. Most either advertise a salary range that fits around mine or more.
Some of these are the same roles but with different agencies, so a few duplicates.

Out of this, I've had no response from 69 of them. I'm not THAT surprised TBH as I'd imagine some roles may just not exist, have been already filled or I've just not been seen as suitable for.

I've had 8 interviews (still to have 2) - face to face, on the phone or Skype. But not been successful as yet... 2 of these have never got back to me, I call them and keep being told they're still considering or they need to speak to their manager before making a decision etc, etc... I'm thinking a month down the line, perhaps I haven't been successful Rolling Eyes but why they can't let me know for sure I have no idea, that bit really annoys me. Evil or Very Mad

The best job I saw advertised was working in an auction house in Peterborough, shifting motorbikes through. Okay, the pay was crap and it was nowhere near me - but I do like the thought of bike messing and it must be interesting the diverse range of bikes you get to ride round on from A to B! Laughing
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:15 - 02 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:
Stuff about agencies being the spawn of the devil

When I moved contracts earlier this year, I was contacted by an agency for a role 5 minutes up the road from me which sounded ideal for all involved. Pretty much exactly the role I had been doing for 6 years.

Went all the way through to pretty much the end where I was just expecting a start date and they just stopped calling.

There was a question about whether the role would be in the UK or abroad, and I guess the customer decided to go with abroad... But as you say.

Why they cant just let us know is beyond me.

Luckily I was wise to such ploys and had several irons in the fire.

tl:dr - Agencies are wankers.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 147 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2