Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

ANPR - Information

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mrjoolz
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:25 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: ANPR - Information Reply with quote

Quick Question;

If I am riding with pillion and my insurance doesnt have pillion cover, will ANPR highlight this if I get seen by ANPR Camera ?

Current Bike: Suzuki GSX1300R Hyabusa.....

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:26 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about it.

Mrjoolz
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:30 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanna know if I can kerb crawl for hookers and pick em up.

Smile

Nah mate wants lift to get his bike, but unsure if I will get a tug from pork scratchings if spotted

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:31 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be fine.

Edit:- Unless you crash and die, then obviously you will not be fine because you'll be dead.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:50 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The law requires you to have a certificate of motor insurance for that vehicle. Do you?

The rest is just arguing about level of cover.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:11 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, dont worry about it. Go out and enjoy your mates warm embrace.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mrjoolz
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:31 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am insured, MOT'd up and Taxed

So therefore I assume the ANPR wouldnt even flag me up if I was passing one of them buried in the grill of a PC PLOD VEHICLE

Probably only get discovered if I was stopped and insurance checked.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:06 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not entirely convinced ANPR even works at all to be honest.

I think it's out of the same box as a "TV detector van".

You watch those police camera things and what they actually do is pull dodgy looking motors being driven in either an idiotic or a circumspect fashion then do a PNC check on them.

Same for banned drivers, it seems to be mostly intelligence-led, they know someone who'se beenbanned recently in the area and park at the end of their road waiting for them.

I've inadvertantly ridden with no MOT for months at a time and never been pulled up for it.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:07 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were commuting to work and didn't have commuting cover, would ANPR flag it up?

Is pretty much the same question.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:58 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
If you were commuting to work and didn't have commuting cover, would ANPR flag it up?

To me the more interesting question:

If you were commuting to work and didn't have commuting cover, would you actually be breaking any law that ANPR ought to be flagging up?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:26 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I'm not entirely convinced ANPR even works at all to be honest.

I think it's out of the same box as a "TV detector van".

You watch those police camera things and what they actually do is pull dodgy looking motors being driven in either an idiotic or a circumspect fashion then do a PNC check on them.

Same for banned drivers, it seems to be mostly intelligence-led, they know someone who'se beenbanned recently in the area and park at the end of their road waiting for them.

I've inadvertantly ridden with no MOT for months at a time and never been pulled up for it.

My daughter had no MOT or tax on a car for nearly a year and never got pulled. It only came to light when said car died and I was scrapping it for her.

However a mate in the Met traffic said they are only interested in no insurance, they won't bother pulling you solely for no tax or MOT but obviously will do you if stopped for anything else.

Make of that what you will.......

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:19 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
If you were commuting to work and didn't have commuting cover, would you actually be breaking any law that ANPR ought to be flagging up?

Of course you would. Insurers can void and then re-instate cover from one nanosecond to the next, thrusting you in and out of legality on a capricious momentary whim.

We know this is true because they say that it is true, and also I saw this one lady getting done for delivering cakes on Oi! It's the Rozzers! and televsion can't lie.

Speedy2007
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:25 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't get my head around pillion cover anyway. If you've passed your full bike test, you are licensed to carry a pillion. If I don't have pillion cover and carry a pillion, I don't know if that is a criminal offence.

I'm far too sad to know anyone who would deign to ride pillion with me but what does pillion insurance actually cover?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:42 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Of course you would. Insurers can void and then re-instate cover from one nanosecond to the next, thrusting you in and out of legality on a capricious momentary whim.

We know this is true because they say that it is true, and also I saw this one lady getting done for delivering cakes on Oi! It's the Rozzers! and televsion can't lie.

Exactly why I do download and print out my Certificate of Motor Insurance in case the online version suddenly became unavailable for some reason. The certificate effectively being a synecdoche for road traffic act insurance cover compliance.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:54 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speedy2007 wrote:
I can't get my head around pillion cover anyway. If you've passed your full bike test, you are licensed to carry a pillion. If I don't have pillion cover and carry a pillion, I don't know if that is a criminal offence.

I'm far too sad to know anyone who would deign to ride pillion with me but what does pillion insurance actually cover?

I doubt it's a criminal offence. But should you potato a pillion. expect to be poor for the rest of your life paying the ins back for what they had to pay the 3rd party... You were not covered to carry...

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:51 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speedy2007 wrote:
what does pillion insurance actually cover?

Your pillion is a 3rd party and can claim against you just like anybody else. You're effectively carrying around a meatsack of liability with you, ready to potato in a ditch.

It's an increased risk factor for your insurer, just like high mileage, commuting in rush hour, commercial use, taxiing, or being a woman.

The way they'd like you to view it is that if you agree not to take a pillion, and the risk of them having to pay for whole life care for your quadrospazzed missus, they'll reduce your premium.

The good news for the pillion is that regardless of whether you have "cover", your insurer will pay out to them.

The bad news for you is that they could in principle then sue you to recover their payout.

Whether they would, and whether they'd succeed, is a matter for them and the courts.

Blah blah
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:32 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

....The bad news for you is that they could in principle then sue you to recover their payout.

Whether they would, and whether they'd succeed, is a matter for them and the courts.

They would and do.

When my mate highsided his Fireblade with me on the back, I sued him and got a bit for my busted arm and enough to replace the gear I'd stuffed sliding down the road on my face at 50mph...

He told me to do it though as he was claiming off the Council and they paid the bill for the lot. His case was helped somewhat when the bloke from the Council cheerfully told the BiBs on the scene that the patch of over banding we'd hit was way too big and should never have been left like that. Thumbs Up

We're still good mates and laugh about it now - The 'Blade was one that had the white number boards on the tail piece and my boots left 2 vertical lines straight up them as I took off, happy days...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 21:00 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't have pillion cover, been riding with gf for the past month, nothing happened. Sped past police once, accidentally ran two red lights due to distraction & confusion, still not pulled over. Dont worry about it.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:05 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have passenger cover for the car

Same thing really

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:11 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blah blah wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

....The bad news for you is that they could in principle then sue you to recover their payout.

They would and do.

To clarify, I'm talking about the insurer suing the bike's owner.

A pillion can always sue the rider. The rider's insurer will always pay out to the pillion.

If the rider had told the insurer that they wouldn't be carrying pillions, then the insurer could then sue the rider to recover whatever they paid out to the pillion, which could easily run into millions for full-life x full-potato.

I don't know if that's happened yet, but insurers do appear to be taking a stronger line on recovering payouts that they shouldn't have had to make because the rider hadn't been honest. See: https://www.whitedalton.co.uk/motorbike-blog/2013/10/i-sold-my-bike-but-didnt-cancel-my-insurance/

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:49 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passenger cover became compulsory for all motorbikes in the early 1970s.

May have changed since then: I don't pay much attention.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:13 - 13 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triton Thrasher wrote:
Passenger cover became compulsory for all motorbikes in the early 1970s.

If you have a certificate of motor insurance you are covered for third party losses up to the minimum required by the road traffic act. The insurance company would have to pay them. You can at the same time land up being liable for said costs.

For example. Say I stole your bike out of your garage and was subsequently rammed off the road by a police car because I was deemed to be a threat to public safety. The damage to the police car would be covered (and claimed for) off your insurance. I, as the theif, would be criminally liable for the damage so the insurance could techincally chase me for their losses through the civil courts. And good luck with that...

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:36 - 13 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

For example. Say I stole your bike out of your garage and was subsequently rammed off the road by a police car because I was deemed to be a threat to public safety. The damage to the police car would be covered (and claimed for) off your insurance. I, as the theif, would be criminally liable for the damage so the insurance could techincally chase me for their losses through the civil courts. And good luck with that...

We all know the police don't chase bike thieves Tut Tut

It's strange how the police seem to take an interest in insurance particulars, surely if you have a policy in place that's all that matters, whether you're commuting or delivering cakes shouldn't matter.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:48 - 13 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

It's strange how the police seem to take an interest in insurance particulars, surely if you have a policy in place that's all that matters, whether you're commuting or delivering cakes shouldn't matter.

It's a fallback for when they've stopped you because you are flagrantly in posession of a face they do not like the look of and have failed to find anything you've actually done wrong. They just start making shit up to justify their existance. Out of the same box as giving you a producer when all pertinant data is on the PNC.

Most people will pay the fixed penalty because the potential actual penalty for no insurance is very high.

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 06:35 - 13 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: ANPR - Information Reply with quote

Mrjoolz wrote:
Quick Question;

If I am riding with pillion and my insurance doesnt have pillion cover, will ANPR highlight this if I get seen by ANPR Camera ?

One sort of logic would say just get passenger cover.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 168 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2