72%
 72%  [ 24 ]
Heated gloves
27%
 27%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 33

Davemc37
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:17 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Heated grips or heated gloves? Reply with quote

Please don't say both.

I guess the gloves heat more of your hand but are they a bit of a faff to plug in.

Heated grips are quite a bit cheaper and quicker but won't heat your whole hand.

So what should I go for?

My bike has hand guards if that's relevant and I have a 30 mile commute into London then the same back home 5 days a week.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't beat shoving your hand into a good furry muff.

Personally I use grips - it's nice always having them on the bike, sometimes they get turned on when I'm out late at night when it turns chilly on days that I wouldn't have bothered taking heated gloves with me.

You do get cold backs of the hands and fingers though, unless you have thick gloves; hand guards will help there but not as good as muffs.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:55 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it is minus 6 degrees I will be using muffs and grips. So far I have managed with shit gloves but this year I will buy some cheaper, better ones.

The best grips, imo, are the 7 quid delivered chinese ebay ones, and they are easier to fit because of the splined throttle tube. They require two extra steps for long term durability:
- the grip glue doesn't last. If you leave it until it fails it will rip the wires off, so do early.
- the little black box is not waterproof, pot it with epoxy or sealant.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:05 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muffs and heated grips.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:13 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heated grips. Purely for convenience. Always available on your bike. No silly wires. Thumbs Up

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:25 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely the grips, convenient, don't need any extra batteries/charging prior use and you don't have to plug anything in when you want to go for a ride.

On the other hand, I did some miles in -5°C and lower, with just my standard motorcycle gloves with warm inserts (thin knitted gloves) and it was alright. So I would also question, if anything electric is even necessary.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:43 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grips and muffs personally.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:54 - 12 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebay link below suggests heated muffs

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:43 - 13 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:
Grips and muffs personally.

Is that a quote from Mr Trump, didnt he say something about gripping woman by the muff?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:02 - 13 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use (diy) heated glove liners and muffs, and a (diy) heater element in my jacket.
Naked bike with A road and motorway commute gets me cold at some point on the journey. Being able to switch the heat on and off is also bit of a bonus.

I had muffs and heated grips on a previous BMW. They worked very well, but without the muffs I'd have sweaty palms and cold fingers (covering brake / clutch in traffic).

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:37 - 13 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:

Did you...? You did! I can!

https://i.imgur.com/pEpH2To.png

Speedy2007
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:19 - 13 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would totally agree with heated grips and muffs.

BUT towards the end of last winter (too late to test properly) I bought a pair of the RST heated gloves where the small batteries fit in a pocket at the back of the glove. Also bought a spare set of batteries, so that should give me 6 hours of heat on maximum.

Can't recommend them yet as I don't know but if they work there's no faffing around with wires or muffs.

Arfa__
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:35 - 13 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like my Gerbings heated gloves, but they've not been without fault. When they work, they're brill, super toasty hands even at motorways speeds in sub zero conditions. The plugging in faff, whilst yes it is faff, you soon become accustomed, so that it adds no more than an extra minute to your gear up ritual. You do have to make a conscious decision around this time of year when you'll switch from summer gloves and shove all the wiring back in your jacket. So, there has been the odd chilly morning where a set of heated grips there on bike ready to turn on would have been nice.

I've had the Gerbings several years and durability hasn't been great in past. But with a lifetime warranty on their electrical side, I've been provided with new pairs many times, turned round in couple of days, no questions asked. Each new pair has progressively lasted longer and longer, designs and quality have improved - got two winters of daily riding out latest pair, we'll see if they last a third winter. Still, it does mean they've been the only winter glove purchase I've ever made, never been able to wear them out before the electrical connections fail!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 10:52 - 13 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heated grips, as I don't like faff and do not want to be plugged in to anything on bike.

Muffs are Great but I find decent handlebar guards are better for me. They also don't look like shit. Laughing

Be careful with muffs. The oxford ones I had above ~60 would fold in a depres the brake.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:09 - 13 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Muffs are Great but I find decent handlebar guards are better for me.

In what ways are they better than muffs?

chris-red wrote:
Be careful with muffs. The oxford ones I had above ~60 would fold in a depres the brake.

Well, there's that. Shove something rigid into your muff to keep it gaping.

I run muffs over the guards on the Nazi Tractor to prevent PMS (Prolapsed Muff Syndrome).

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:12 - 13 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case you haven't worked it out yet: Grips + Muffs + Summer Gloves

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:16 - 13 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a bike with a well designed (read barn door) fairing like mine all you need is grips. I get hardly any wind chill on my hands.

Probably only a valid point on the big tourers though.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:18 - 13 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I run muffs over the guards on the Nazi Tractor

As my muffless bike has handlebar guards (VStrom, OEM), I'd wondered about that - I'd assumed it would be a case of having to replace the guards with muffs so that the muffs would (a) fit and (b) work efficiently. Is the use of muffs over guards a thing, then? Do most muffs generally fit over most guards?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:44 - 13 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Is the use of muffs over guards a thing, then? Do most muffs generally fit over most guards?

I can't speak to most, but these fit over those.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:02 - 13 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did muffs + heated grips for years.

Decided this year to scrap the muffs as they look like shit, and they did make it "slightly" more difficult to get your hands out in an emergency (Read giving the wanker symbol to drivers).

this year its Heated grips + silk inner gloves + decent winter gloves * 2 (so one pair can dry out and use the nice dry pair each day)

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 12:30 - 13 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
chris-red wrote:
Muffs are Great but I find decent handlebar guards are better for me.

In what ways are they better than muffs?

chris-red wrote:

Well, there's that. Shove something rigid into your muff to keep it gaping.

I run muffs over the guards on the Nazi Tractor to prevent PMS (Prolapsed Muff Syndrome).

For me they are better, I make no claims for the rest of you. They are permanent and they look better, they are hard fitted rather than strapped on. You can still adjust the clutch or access the brake master cylinder with them on. I have hardwired LED lights on mine. They don't flap about or interfere with controls. As they are on all year I can wear thinner gloves than I would on a bike without guards, in spring/autumn too. With them and my heated grips I don't get cold hands.

If I still got cold hands I'd use muffs but I don't, any extra warmth isn't required and I'd rather not have the downsides.

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:10 - 13 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: Heated grips or heated gloves? Reply with quote

Davemc37 wrote:
Please don't say both.

I guess the gloves heat more of your hand but are they a bit of a faff to plug in.

Heated grips are quite a bit cheaper and quicker but won't heat your whole hand.

So what should I go for?

My bike has hand guards if that's relevant and I have a 30 mile commute into London then the same back home 5 days a week.

You need muffs. Than heated grips are nice to have in addition to it.

Heated gloves alone are completely useless.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:22 - 13 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:

Up to the wrist or up to the elbow?

Do you have problems with them getting wet? What about getting smelly?

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:24 - 13 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: Heated grips or heated gloves? Reply with quote

Val wrote:
Heated gloves alone are completely useless.

I wouldn't go that far.
My RST Thermotech gloves were properly toasty even on cold days.
From a heating point of view they were far better than grips alone.

Only reason I got rid of them was because I didn't get on with how bulky they were.
A colleague of mine is more than happy with his Alpinestars heated gloves too.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 168 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4