Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Heated grips or heated gloves?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Heated grips or heated gloves
heated grips
72%
 72%  [ 24 ]
Heated gloves
27%
 27%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 33

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:38 - 03 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

sportsbikeshop still have the Oxford heated grips on sale Thumbs Up I cannot rate them highly enough. They saved my hands last winter.. pair them with Tucano muffs and my hands were toasty, even with summer gloves

Now, if my RainPal would just turn up i wouldn't have to worry about getting my left glove wet

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:15 - 03 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Yeah, #Brexit has really hit hard, they're up to £2.59 a bike now. Pale

It's a strip of resistor, some wires, a switch and some heat shrink. There's really no need to over-think this, or pay over the odds.

Thanks. I use Oxford grips, but the rubber is a bit soft and is now wearing very fast on mine (18 months old). I was half contemplating replacing them, but that made me think that I should just try slapping some heat shrink on instead. £45-70 every couple of years won't break the bank, but if it works and has enough grip then effectively free heatshrink that I've got on the shelf here is even better Thumbs Up

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:17 - 04 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pompousporcupine wrote:
sportsbikeshop still have the Oxford heated grips on sale Thumbs Up I cannot rate them highly enough. They saved my hands last winter.. pair them with Tucano muffs and my hands were toasty, even with summer gloves

Now, if my RainPal would just turn up i wouldn't have to worry about getting my left glove wet

M+P have Oxford grips for about £45 sale price...

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:02 - 04 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:
I use Oxford grips, but the rubber is a bit soft and is now wearing very fast on mine (18 months old). I was half contemplating replacing them, but that made me think that I should just try slapping some heat shrink on instead. £45-70 every couple of years won't break the bank, but if it works and has enough grip then effectively free heatshrink that I've got on the shelf here is even better Thumbs Up

You want Grip Puppies - personally I prefer them to standard grips anyway (and have therefore just refitted mine over my brand new Oxford heated grips), but if your grips are knackered then these puppies would be an ideal solution as they will just fit on top of them.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:15 - 04 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so sure about them. I remember that kind of thing from bicycles back in the day - I'd get through a couple of sets a year, especially if they got contaminated with anything oily (like sun cream) when the foam would then slowly dissolve.

I've done about 35K miles on my Oxford grips, so not really complaining about their longevity - I'd be surprised if grip puppies lasted anywhere near as long or would be cost effective at £20 a pop. Could be wrong, there is foam and there is foam, and maybe the comfort would outweigh the wear.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:36 - 04 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you get a larger grip diamiter. Worried about whether it's suitable for your bike? Fret not, this fit's them all.

Fites? Thinking

cb1rocket
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:21 - 04 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger the cheap ebay ones. Do they go over the existing grips?

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:39 - 04 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
thx1138 wrote:
can't afford grips on all of them.

Yeah, #Brexit has really hit hard, they're up to £2.59 a bike now. Pale

It's a strip of resistor, some wires, a switch and some heat shrink. There's really no need to over-think this, or pay over the odds.

erm. it took me 3 hours to fit a usb charger properly. Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:34 - 04 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

cb1rocket wrote:

Yes, they're just a pair of heating pads that wrap over your grip, and a shrink wrap that goes over the pads. Hairdryer or heat gun and it snugs down onto the grip. They take seconds to fit without having to remove anything.

Wiring them in to your electrics is an exercise for the reader (see stinkwheel's relay guide), but we're only talking two wires and one switch.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:56 - 04 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:
Not so sure about them. I remember that kind of thing from bicycles back in the day - I'd get through a couple of sets a year, especially if they got contaminated with anything oily (like sun cream) when the foam would then slowly dissolve.

I've done about 35K miles on my Oxford grips, so not really complaining about their longevity - I'd be surprised if grip puppies lasted anywhere near as long or would be cost effective at £20 a pop. Could be wrong, there is foam and there is foam, and maybe the comfort would outweigh the wear.

I'm sure they're a lot better than the ones you're remembering. I don't know how old mine are - there were on the bike when I bought it just over a year ago, and 3500 miles later still show no signs of wear. I actually really like them comfort-wise which is why I've just removed them and refitted them over my new Oxford grips. (They're £14 online, not £20). Unless you really don't get on with them - and I appreciate not every one does - I'd say they'd be ideal for your purpose.

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:07 - 04 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the recent acquisition of a Honda Deauville 650 for commuting duty, I have for the first time experienced heated grips, which are great, but also this week I installed some Tucano R333 muffs.

I have to say from my first outing, that the combination of the two has been brilliant, I've used summer gloves and my fingers haven't been able to tell that it's been 5C, the real test will be in a month or two, when it may (or may not be) closer to freezing in the mornings. I have winter gloves if need be, but they are so bulky if I can get away with sticking with summer gloves I'll be chuffed Very Happy

cb1rocket
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:31 - 05 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
cb1rocket wrote:

Yes, they're just a pair of heating pads that wrap over your grip, and a shrink wrap that goes over the pads. Hairdryer or heat gun and it snugs down onto the grip. They take seconds to fit without having to remove anything.

Wiring them in to your electrics is an exercise for the reader (see stinkwheel's relay guide), but we're only talking two wires and one switch.

Thanks for that info. Have wired in Oxford grips no bother with a relay but the cheaper ones seem to be easier to fit than messing around with grip removal

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:45 - 05 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you clarify what you are calling "summer gloves" for me please?

My summer gloves are very similar to:

https://www.revzilla.com/product_images/0031/6530/TwentyNinerGloveBlackFront_listing.jpg

And I struggled with the really cold temps even with Oxford heated grips and muffs.

Is there something in between winter and the above that I would be worth purchasing?

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:24 - 05 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My summer gloves are a pair of Alpinestars GP Pro that I bought in 2013. Leather race gloves basically, loads of feel and well armoured. But zero thermal advantage in the cold.

For winter gloves I have some Hein Gerickes specials that cost me £30, back when I was a poor student about 8 years ago, they have done me proud enough. They would keep the cold out for about 15mins in very cold weather on a motorway, then it's inevitable.

I recently bought some Richa Arctics, after reading the best buy review by Ride. They are every bulky, but pretty warm as far as gloves go.

Edit: 3C this morning, the A* summer gloves, heated grips and muffs worked perfectly Thumbs Up

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:27 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Heated grips or heated gloves? Reply with quote

I've pretty much tried everything (silk undergloves/heated grips/muffs/hand guards (with added DIY tarps) and heated gloves) - as everyone has said, muffs and grips is a pretty solid choice.
I'm on my third (I think...) winter with Gerbing XR12 heated gloves, they are superb. That said, I recall one failure last winter - the inline controller died and the remaining thirty mile ride home was actual pain because it was so cold. I now carry a spare controller in case this happens again.
I regularly swap between two bikes, so for me the heated gloves option made sense (I don't use batteries, I have a hard wire kit on each bike)

Heated gloves are WAY better than _just_ heated grips though.

That said, I am considering fitting some heated grips to both bikes now (with some muffage, natch)

Qyburn
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:30 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just starting my first winter with heated grips. It's not really been cold yet, although it was pretty much zero on Friday and a slight frost this morning. The grips definitely help, I'm still using summer gloves. However without some care you can still end up with frozen finger tips.

I fitted the 2017 model Oxford grips mainly to get the weatherproof connectors. However I ended up with all the connections under tank so could perfectly well have saved a few quid buying the previous model that Sportsbike shop have on special offer.

thepuma
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:23 - 13 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
thepuma wrote:
The gloves are IXS X-7...not cheap at just over £200..

The £9.50 muffs went on today. I had to turn the £2.16 heated grip pads off after a few miles, my hands were way too hot in my £9.99 summer gloves.

Sorry, we were saying something funny?

Were we? Laughing

evilzed
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:17 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Heated grips or heated gloves? Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:

Heated gloves are WAY better than _just_ heated grips though.

That said, I am considering fitting some heated grips to both bikes now (with some muffage, natch)

Out of curiosity why?

I've tried Tucano Urbano muffs and find them too restrictive, maybe it's the bike but It's difficult turning the bars on full lock with them but they retain heat the best

I've tried Barkbusters blizzards and they're okay but your hands fingers still get painfully cold, they don't really enclose your hands so heat escapes but with heated grips they're bearable.

Heated gloves have been the best for me due to them heating every finger the only issue is they're a massive faff to put on / setup on every ride to the point I end up just using heated grips and muffs instead and accept painful fingers.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, I fancy trying some heated gloves. But I want to wear them under my current gloves.

Anyone seen any slimline ones that you can charge via usb?

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:52 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heated grips year round, oxford adventure are long enough for big hands, otherwise touring or sport depending on how many miles you do. My oxford touring grips went gummy and were worn out after 3 years and about 30,000 miles and were too short. Not had the adventure ones on that long. The R&G ones lasted less than a year for me, but that was on a vibey twin.

Tucano Urbano polyamide muffs for winter. keeps warm air heated by grips around hands. Drawstring closure stops them filling with water.

Summer gloves for daytime, warmer gloves at night, but always gloves that prioritise some feel over warmth. My thickest gloves are probably tending towards winter style, but they come out before muff season really kicks off if it's unseasonably cold, or for riding in really marginal conditions with muffs.

Heated grips really come into their own in the summer when the temperature plummets and it's impractical to swap gloves (because on motorway or didn't bring with) whereas heated gloves need pre-ride prep and you don't want them on or even bring with all the time.

Grip puppies make my hands ache because they are too squishy and I reflexively want to grip tighter. They hold water really badly too.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:50 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A continuing review on the Gerbing XR7 heated gloves; well into freezing mornings now and my hands are perfectly fine. When it's sub zero your hands don't get 'warm' as such they just feel perfectly normal body temp. Quite deceptive actually, easy to fool yourself it's not cold until you remember your feet are fucking freezing Laughing

Ergonomically they're a bit clunky to put on with the battery in the cuff, have to spend a minute faffing to get them over my jacket cuff otherwise cold air blasts up there but other than that I'm well impressed.

evilzed
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:41 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
Right, I fancy trying some heated gloves. But I want to wear them under my current gloves.

Anyone seen any slimline ones that you can charge via usb?

Nope but I tried the Keis heated inner gloves and they worked in terms of heat but were just too thick to wear comfortably in all my gloves. I bought Gerbing XRS 12 gloves in the end which are good.

Rogue_Shadow
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:39 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grips & Guards Thumbs Up

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:50 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
Heated grips year round, oxford adventure are long enough for big hands, otherwise touring or sport depending on how many miles you do. My oxford touring grips went gummy and were worn out after 3 years and about 30,000 miles and were too short. Not had the adventure ones on that long.

That's the bizarre thing with Oxford grips, they call them "touring", "sport" and "adventure", supposedly for the grip pattern and compound, but you need to buy based on the length instead - so my Pan has Sport, the Bandit 600 Touring (Touring being too short for the Pan). You then have to dig around in the descriptions (or zooming in on the box picture) to find out how long they are; it's not immediately obvious that they are different.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:02 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:
That's the bizarre thing with Oxford grips, they call them "touring", "sport" and "adventure", supposedly for the grip pattern and compound, but you need to buy based on the length instead - so my Pan has Sport, the Bandit 600 Touring (Touring being too short for the Pan). You then have to dig around in the descriptions (or zooming in on the box picture) to find out how long they are; it's not immediately obvious that they are different.

+1 - it's very strange. I have to say I don't understand the 'need' for different grip patterns according to what activity you're doing - isn't the idea of grips that they should simply be comfortable and have enough friction between them and your gloves that they don't slip when you're riding? But WTF do I know.

I really didn't care what grip style I ended up with, because I was intending to sheath them in my Grip Puppies anyway; but I ended up with 'Sport' grips on my ('Adventure'?) V-strom because elsewhere I'd read that they were the best fit for that model.

Oh, and you can trim the ends to fit anyway, providing you don't go too far in and cut the heating element (the limit is clearly shown in the instructions).
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 131 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4