Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Riding and the sweet smell of fresh... ...weed? Wait. What?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:55 - 15 Oct 2017    Post subject: Riding and the sweet smell of fresh... ...weed? Wait. What? Reply with quote

One of the many benefits of riding a bike is having your senses more closely connected to the world around you, particularly the sense of smell.

Being able to smell the rain on a hot day before you suddenly ride into it. The aroma of cooking, whether it be BBQs as you ride down a residential road in summer or restaurants in parts of town. Or the smell of Castrol when you follow the rare 2-smoke these days.

Over the years I've occasionally caught a whiff of marijuana as I've commuted in and out of town. Sometimes I suspect it's been farms hidden away in houses, especially when I've noticed it in the same place over a period of time. However it would sometimes become obvious it was coming from a car up ahead.

Older BMW? Thumbs Up
Dark tinted windows open a little at the top? Thumbs Up
Four relaxed looking gentlemen in the car? Thumbs Up

So far so stereotypical.

But what's weird is a sudden and profound increase in weed smokers in cars. This year I've been noticing it more and more, until in the last few weeks it's become a daily thing. Even in the morning?

What's going on?

Anyone else noticed?

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 18:12 - 15 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always know I'm in my home area when I can smell the weed.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:14 - 15 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The smell of weed being smoked is different to the smell of weed that's growing. Razz

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:17 - 15 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course people smoke weed in cars. Most cupholders won't hold a pint glass.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:30 - 15 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: Riding and the sweet smell of fresh... ...weed? Wait. Wh Reply with quote

Serendipity wrote:
One of the many benefits of riding a bike is having your senses more closely connected to the world around you, particularly the sense of smell.

Being able to smell the rain on a hot day before you suddenly ride into it. The aroma of cooking, whether it be BBQs as you ride down a residential road in summer or restaurants in parts of town. Or the smell of Castrol when you follow the rare 2-smoke these days.

Over the years I've occasionally caught a whiff of marijuana as I've commuted in and out of town. Sometimes I suspect it's been farms hidden away in houses, especially when I've noticed it in the same place over a period of time. However it would sometimes become obvious it was coming from a car up ahead.

Older BMW? Thumbs Up
Dark tinted windows open a little at the top? Thumbs Up
Four relaxed looking gentlemen in the car? Thumbs Up

So far so stereotypical.

But what's weird is a sudden and profound increase in weed smokers in cars. This year I've been noticing it more and more, until in the last few weeks it's become a daily thing. Even in the morning?

What's going on?

Anyone else noticed?

Same, I’ve noticed it’s more like 2/3 times per commute now as opposed to every other day 3/4 years ago.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 15 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised you have to ride your motorbike to notice: I can't even walk to the buss stop without being stopped in an attempt of making a new customer.

Must all be migrating.

Last edited by NJD on 20:03 - 15 Oct 2017; edited 1 time in total
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:07 - 15 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I go greenlaning, there's a field I ride past that sticks of weed. I've tried finding it but wasn't successful unfortunately Crying or Very sad

No idea if it's a crop they're growing that smells similar.

Moo.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 15 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaping also makes some interesting smells following cars Very Happy

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:36 - 15 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRZ4Hunned wrote:
When I go greenlaning, there's a field I ride past that sticks of weed. I've tried finding it but wasn't successful unfortunately Crying or Very sad

Someones got a small grow on in one of the areas I walk the dog. It's inside a gated compound but I get a whiff
whenever I walk past it. It's off the beaten track a bit and it's hurting nobody. Crack on I say. Thumbs Up

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:53 - 15 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moo. wrote:

Yeah i have noticed some different smells. I think there is a guy round there that must use a Liquorice flavor in their vape thing. Reminds me of the black jack sweets.

Serendipity wrote:
Anyone else noticed?

Yup, I mentioned this only the other day to a mate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Billy Balthorpe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:18 - 16 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not that more people are smoking weed in cars, its just that with the more "pungent" nature of the weed nowadays, you notice it more.

Years ago resin was the most popular cannabis of choice, it doesn't smell anywhere near as much as the latest "Weapons grade weed", not that I would know anything about the subject .......................

Shutting up now Sir!

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:35 - 16 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed this a lot as well, both from people in cars and pedestrians. I have a few mates who are constant tokers. Since the laws for personal use were relaxed a few years ago, I think more and more people are forgetting that it's still illegal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:52 - 16 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a widespread smell in North Somerset recently which was rumoured to be a massive cannabis farm. You could smell it for miles.

Turned out to be Ribena (or more accurately blackcurrants).

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:41 - 16 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baffler186 wrote:
Since the laws for personal use were relaxed a few years ago

https://i.imgur.com/ccXILg8.gif

B serious.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:53 - 16 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Balthorpe wrote:
Its not that more people are smoking weed in cars, its just that with the more "pungent" nature of the weed nowadays, you notice it more.

Years ago resin was the most popular cannabis of choice, it doesn't smell anywhere near as much as the latest "Weapons grade weed", not that I would know anything about the subject .......................

Shutting up now Sir!

Yes, I think you are right. What is it they call the modern potent stuff, Skunk isn't it. I'm sure it;s not called that because it's white and black in colour. Laughing

zark
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:16 - 16 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed a liveried van into a supermarket carpark the other week... vast amounts of weed being smoked inside...

when i'd finished my shop - he was still in the carpark, still smoking but also doing a good trade with lots of people walking up to him for a quick chat... Confused

I rang his company and grassed him up. (pun intended) Do what you like, but not when driving the works van, you spaz...

Does that make me a self-righteous cnut? *shrugs*

Arfa__
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:24 - 16 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very common riding out of town along the A13 car park most evenings. Often playing the 'phoned or stoned' guessing game when you see someone weaving oddly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

suburban myth
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:47 - 16 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="grr666"]
DRZ4Hunned wrote:
It's off the beaten track a bit and it's hurting nobody. Thumbs Up

Which is a reasonable attitude until someone tries to sell it to a school kid, or my kid. I was having a conversation with a colleague recently who has a kid a year younger than mine (hers 15, mine 16) and she was expressing concern about him getting into drinking. I politely pointed out that when I was that age drugs were far more prevalent than alcohol - easier to get, usually a little cheaper and generally more fun (so I was told....)

To the point in question though - people are just more brazen these days. Gone are the times that people sat around in a darkened room playing FIFA on the Xbox. They just choose to use out in the streets instead. There's a guy walks past my house every day at 5.25 in the morning with a blaze on. I know full well he's catching the bus to work. What happened to chilling out AFTER a hard day?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:13 - 16 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

zark wrote:
I followed a liveried van into a supermarket carpark the other week... vast amounts of weed being smoked inside...

when i'd finished my shop - he was still in the carpark, still smoking but also doing a good trade with lots of people walking up to him for a quick chat... Confused

I rang his company and grassed him up. (pun intended) Do what you like, but not when driving the works van, you spaz...

Does that make me a self-righteous cnut? *shrugs*

The vans at work sometimes stink of weed, it's great when you're going through Canary Wharf security Rolling Eyes

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:18 - 16 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

zark wrote:

Don't lie, that's not possible. Smoking in shared-use vehicles is illegal. Folded arms

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:00 - 16 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moo. wrote:

Most of them smell like a Haribo factory is on fire.

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:53 - 17 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smell of Skag or Mamba is the prevailing stink in Brum.

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:27 - 17 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vaping is a good point. Often it's sweet smells, sort of toffee-like or vanilla, but what's the point of cannabis scented vape? All the risk of attention, but none of the benefits?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 186 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2