74%
 74%  [ 38 ]
Play fair, suck it up, it's the British way
11%
 11%  [ 6 ]
I prefer to be honestly ripped off on AliExpress
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Carefully vet every seller, report to eBay, add them to your blocked buyers list and hope that stops them showing as sellers, then go through page after page of listings to find the first one that might actually be located in the UK (joke option)
7%
 7%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 51

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:57 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Scamming scammers Reply with quote

Arrow Search eBay, BIN, lowest price, UK only.
Arrow The eleventeen hundred top hits are seller JoyGoodFun49212, item "located" in Birmingham, but the seller address is Wun Hung Low province in China, with a 2 week delivery time.
Arrow Order stuffs.
Arrow Stuffs arrives two weeks later via ChinaPost.
Arrow File a "not received, refund"
Arrow "Dear Friend, delivery not in control please to wait two more days we very sure it arrive then give 5 star most important."
Arrow Wait 8 days, hit HALP! button, eBay refunds.
Arrow 1-star and neg the scammer.

I'm not asking if I should do it, I do do it, fairly regularly now, and with no qualms at all after the first time I fell for it.

But I'm mildly intrigued as to whether I'm ahead of the morality curve on this one. Would you?
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:40 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im pretty sure this is the only way to restore natural order in the world. Good work.

Almost as good as out scammy friend AA.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:54 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:
Im pretty sure this is the only way to restore natural order in the world. Good work.

Just doing my bit to balance out the Yellow Peril buying up all our infrastructure. Those two 99pp brushless motors could make all the difference to our balance of trade.

Tracer1234 wrote:
Almost as good as out scammy friend AA.

Item location: Imagination Land.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:15 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was stung by something like this after ordering a new DSLR body a few years back. "Our offices are moving," or, "our UK warehouse is out of stock so we're importing form Hong Kong" was the correspondence I received: they were either slow or disappeared after that.

Eventually I revived the item and forgot about it all. It still works, whenever I can be bothered to use the thing, but realise it will probably be cheaper to get a new UK one from Jessops or Argos (things have probably moved on anyhow) if anything happened to it: I've never been able to tell if it is UK or not.

I was young-er and so kicking up a fuss wasn't top of my list because shiny new camera.

Lesson learnt: pick outlets ordered from more wisely.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:23 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's bloody easy to get caught if you don't read it properly and they have a nice big Union Jack in the corner of their picture Rolling Eyes

I've been caught out a couple of times. The item has arrived in the end but if you are desperate for it.....

Well, nowadays if I am desperate for something I use Amazon Prime and take the few quid extra hit.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:38 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a lower level of scum than that. The lying about being in the UK ones can be avoided by paying a little attention to the delivery dates.

It's drop fucking shippers that wind me up.

The drop-shipping isn't really the issue, it's the fact they don't physically HAVE the thing they are selling so it can later turn out the people they are drop-shipping through don't have it either or the price they thought they could get it for has changed.

They invariably mark the fucker as dispatched as soon as they get the order (yeah, you dispatched it at 10pm on Sunday, right) then, when it turns out it either can't be found or is more expensive than they thought, send you a message 48h later cancelling your order and claiming the item has been lost by the courier (A courier will never report a package as lost on account of it being lost, they only know it's lost when the person expecting it doesn't receive it). Or worse, they send an "alternative".

This happens most often with something that is in short supply, you search and search and eventually find someone who has one, order it then 48h later get this bullshit.

I got an ebay order in an amazon packet the other day!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:12 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
The lying about being in the UK ones can be avoided by paying a little attention to the delivery dates.

Sure, they're not that hard to avoid, once you've opened the listing. But (absent Fast and Free listings) you have to do so to figure out that they're lying liars. eBay doesn't provide any tools to filter out the "Birmingham, China" scammers from the search results. And they don't give a stuff about them either, as long as they keep creaming their fees.

If buyers weren't such a bunch of fannies either it would help, but the amount of positive feedback with "Took four weeks to arrive" really winds me up. What do people think neutral and negative is for, if not that?

stinkwheel wrote:

Huh, that is indeed becoming a Thing. I've spotted the same distinctive stuff advertised on Amazon and on eBay, with a £SOME premium on the eBay listing. It's fairly obvious that they're just reselling the Amazon stock, but what do?

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:06 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:
The lying about being in the UK ones can be avoided by paying a little attention to the delivery dates.

Sure, they're not that hard to avoid, once you've opened the listing. But (absent Fast and Free listings) you have to do so to figure out that they're lying liars. eBay doesn't provide any tools to filter out the "Birmingham, China" scammers from the search results. And they don't give a stuff about them either, as long as they keep creaming their fees.

If buyers weren't such a bunch of fannies either it would help, but the amount of positive feedback with "Took four weeks to arrive" really winds me up. What do people think neutral and negative is for, if not that?

stinkwheel wrote:

Huh, that is indeed becoming a Thing. I've spotted the same distinctive stuff advertised on Amazon and on eBay, with a £SOME premium on the eBay listing. It's fairly obvious that they're just reselling the Amazon stock, but what do?

Buy from amazon?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:15 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again wrote:

Buy from amazon?

I was buying a rake of things. Easier to put everything in one basket. In the same way I wouldn't go and buy apples in Tesco and banannas in Asda to save a pound.

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:20 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just take a good look at the dispatch and estimated arrival times to tell if it's actually in the UK. I wouldn't even go as far as to call them scammers, just sneaky cunts.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:48 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy from amazon?

eBay is currently making a strong argument in favour of that.

Fin wrote:
I just take a good look at the dispatch and estimated arrival times to tell if it's actually in the UK.

At the cost of your time for doing something that a very small shell SQL script should be doing.

Fin wrote:
I wouldn't even go as far as to call them scammers, just sneaky cunts.

They're flat out lying about the location from where they're going to dispatch. If you buy anything significant you'll get raped by customs as well. I'm not sure what else to call them but scammers.

And I'd be fairly sure that actual UK sellers would view them a bit more dimly than "sneaky".

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:39 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently waiting on a refund for something which didn't arrive by the due date, then they changed the date and it still never arrived! So here I sit for 3 weeks to get a refund whilst they ignore my emails and rude text messages. I only posted cos Stinkwheel hit the nail on the head about the despatch time. 10.46pm on a Fri.

I hope they're not overly fond of their number.. Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:54 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes they're Chinese sellers with a UK distributor. I agree with Fin, check the delivery times. I think with dropshippers people get annoyed because they could have got it cheaper from somewhere else, but then shop around.

What annoys me most about eBay is the multiple listings from the same seller. For example <insert bike part> for every model you can think of. Also listings that are 0.99 - £5.99, where 99p buys you something unrelated to the item you want. It's making shopping on eBay a real chore.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:03 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
What annoys me most about eBay is the multiple listings from the same seller. For example <insert bike part> for every model you can think of.

AND each year for said model.
AND it's a universal part, like a stick on LCD clock.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:11 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Sometimes they're Chinese sellers with a UK distributor.

Which is fine, but there seems to be more and more blatant Charlie Scams out there. Not many of them yet have the brass neck to put a Union flag and "UK stock" on their images though. Yet.

M.C wrote:
[Stuff is] making shopping on eBay a real chore.

Mmm, it used to be my go-to, but given their total disinterest in cracking down on any of this buyer-hostile bollocks, now I'm thinking I might as well take a punt on AliExpress or Amazon instead.

The only thing that keeps me coming back to eBay is the ease of getting free stuff from shysters. I wonder how long that will be sustainable.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:30 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this happen to me once or twice and agree it's bloody irritating; however it's over the top to consider it a scam. There's enough of those to watch out for. If you receive your goods in good condition, but late, that's a whole different level of shittiness to not receiving them at all and /or losing your cash.

stinkwheel wrote:

Buy from amazon?

I was buying a rake of things. Easier to put everything in one basket. In the same way I wouldn't go and buy apples in Tesco and banannas in Asda to save a pound.

So what's the problem? Amazon made a sale, so did the E-bay markup seller, and you win too because you only wanted one shopping basket... Confused

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:46 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

So what's the problem? Amazon made a sale, so did the E-bay markup seller, and you win too because you only wanted one shopping basket... Confused

The problem is the drop-shipper has absolutely no idea if the item in question was still in stock and at the same price on Amazon at the point I bought it on ebay. They've just thrown up loads of sales on ebay and wait for someone to click.

So say it was something that had sold out or the price had gone up beyond the price I have already paid? This happens more often than you think. For example, I might have already tried amazon, found they were sold out and thought "I'll see if anyone on ebay has one."

They mark every sale as dispatched as soon as they see it, regardless. I, as the customer, assume it's on its way, done and dusted. They then try to order it, can't and 24 to 48h after I had a message saying the item is dispatched, I get a cock and bull story about how the courier has lost/damaged the item but it's ok, I've done you a refund. So I've waited 2 days and now have to wait ANOTHER 2 days for a different one to arrive.

This has happened to me on multiple occasions. Two of them blocked me at the same time as they cancelled the sale, a virtual equivalent of sitting with your fingers in your ears going "Lalalala" so they can't hear your complaint.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:50 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Just doing my bit to balance out the Yellow Peril buying up all our infrastructure. Those two 99pp brushless motors could make all the difference to our balance of trade.
[/quote]

are you making a wiper for helmets
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:55 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

are you making a wiper for helmets[/quote]

He's getting Bluetooth controls next.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:46 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

And 20kg of Unobtanium.

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
however it's over the top to consider it a scam.

HMRC might be asking where the tax revenue is from those "UK" sales and profits.

It's a scam and it's not victimless. Even if the goods do turn up eventually, they're screwing over actual UK sellers by mis-advertising.

Slitty eyed Hitlers, they are.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:03 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used Ali Express for a few things and I have not been skunked yet.
I found their correspondance vely encoulaging too.

I have also used Ebay and Amazon (the Bastirts) and been stiffed a couple of times over several years.

With Ebay it is important to vet sellers by reviews but read between the lines.
There is a lot of psychological imbalance in the world at large one has to filter this a bit.

Likewise with Amazon (the Bastirts) as they do not give a flying fcuk what you get as long as they get there %-ages.

ALi Express. Thumbs Up Cheap, Shite for Cheap Plices.
(They do an excellent line in Adult gear too.)

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:23 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always check the estimated delivery date before buying now, but yeah I always claimed a not received refund when an item in the uk came via china post.

They are cheating and so I play by their rules.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:33 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Have never used it but have wondered...
How does it compare to using eBay (ie, for buying tat from China at a fixed price, not bidding)? Pros and cons?

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:42 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
MCN wrote:

Have never used it but have wondered...
How does it compare to using eBay (ie, for buying tat from China at a fixed price, not bidding)? Pros and cons?

Aliexpress is more than fine. I've bought loads of stuff from there over the past 18 months and have never had an issue.
Yeah the postage is slow, but that's not an issue if you are prepared to wait.

I mean look at this, how on earth can they make money?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1PCS-High-Quality-Mechanical-Endstop-For-Reprap-ramps-1-4-3D-printer-With-independent-packing/32693854559.html

Cheapest on Ebay:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391903846308
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 162 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4