Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Knocked off bike at lights

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

evilzed
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:06 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Knocked off bike at lights Reply with quote

I've not long ago got knocked off my bike by a silver Prius near the new screen in Piccadilly. Stopped at lights, car bumps my rear wheel so I turn around about to get off...... Driver gives nudges the bike considerably more during causing the bike to be pushed from under me.

Now the bikes on the floor, Driver denies anything happened and asked if there's any marks on his bumper to prove it (only dirt from my back wheel as it was raining). I think* he was an Uber driver as he had 2 passengers in suits in the back.

Two guys help me lift the bike up while he's now suddenly waiting patiently I ask for his insurance details his response was something along the lines of no marks on my bumper so nothing happened and drives off. The passengers said they saw nothing...... All the passers by tourists etc saw nothing................ The driver behind gave no response to what just happened even when asked.

Damage was stuck throttle due to bar end hitting the ground, pushed in exhaust and bent rear brake lever. I haven't checked it thouroughly yet though. The bike has engine bars and lots of crash protection in general. Do I bother with my third party insurance? Shall I just call the police?

Thanks

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:08 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not insured for hire and reward then by the sounds of it. Dare I ask for a description of the driver?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:09 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you let him leave?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

evilzed
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:10 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black male telling me to move off at a red light. How I should be faster. Also giving me a pretty threatening look when the passers were helping me lift the bike.

I asked for his insurance details he drove off

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:17 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

evilzed wrote:
I asked for his insurance details he drove off

Camera footage? Reg?

evilzed
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:24 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got it all on cam, I think need to check if it was recording but should all be caught. I find it worrying in one of the busiest areas you still can't rely on any witnesses

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:31 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

evilzed wrote:
I've got it all on cam, I think need to check if it was recording but should all be caught. I find it worrying in one of the busiest areas you still can't rely on any witnesses

On cam as proof and he's failed to provide details - police matter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:35 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you go to the police, post the video up here.

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:47 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

evilzed wrote:

You had a few witnesses, unfortunately they didn't see anything. Are you SURE you didn't just drop the bike? I find it hard to believe that so many witnesses saw nothing.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:50 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

evilzed wrote:
I find it worrying in one of the busiest areas you still can't rely on any witnesses

Ex Londoner here, I'm not surprised in the slightest. Who would honestly get voluntarily involved in a minor incident like that?
It's never straight forward, and getting caught up in a long legal battle may involve numerous court appearances which is fine
if you have the time (and inclination). But very few do. I suspect that if brought to court, immigration may also end up involved.

Last edited by grr666 on 12:11 - 18 Oct 2017; edited 1 time in total

evilzed
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:54 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holdawayt wrote:
evilzed wrote:

You had a few witnesses, unfortunately they didn't see anything. Are you SURE you didn't just drop the bike? I find it hard to believe that so many witnesses saw nothing.

Pretty sure I didn't, IIRC it was in neutral so having it flung from under me would be bizarre. Also the driver complaining about me being too slow moving off would be a good indicator

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:58 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

evilzed wrote:
I find it worrying in one of the busiest areas you still can't rely on any witnesses

In London.

Holdawayt wrote:
[I find it hard to believe that so many witnesses saw nothing.

In London.

https://stayinsured.askmid.com/roadside.html

Upload your video, keep it private, contact his insurer directly, start your claim against him. Since you won't have the impact on camera, don't be surprised if they say "What collision?" too.

Get a crime number from MetPlod for RTA 1988 S170. They won't do a damn thing about it, but the number might help your compo claim, and if we just give up on law and order then we might as well go full Mad Max, right?

I'd save any speculation about him being under-insured for after you're fully compensated.

Best of luck, you'll need it.

London...

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:05 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
evilzed wrote:

Ex Londoner here, I'm not surprised in the slightest.

Me neither. One of our number got jacked in the middle of a busy dual carriageway in front of a whole throng of cars in rush hour traffic - within 30 seconds he was stood in the middle of the road with everyone else busy making their way home.

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:30 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same happen to me on Regent street a couple of years ago. Stopped at red light, driver creeps forward into my wheel and then carries on until my bike was on the floor. Then he started honking his horn because the lights were turning green.

Twat drove off before I could get up and smash his window.

It was very surreal.

evilzed
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:37 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

natefz6 wrote:
I had the same happen to me on Regent street a couple of years ago. Stopped at red light, driver creeps forward into my wheel and then carries on until my bike was on the floor. Then he started honking his horn because the lights were turning green.

Twat drove off before I could get up and smash his window.

It was very surreal.

Yeah I wasn't sure what was happening, you have to be mental to think nudging a bikes back wheel is okay. I genuinely thought the driver was a thief stealing a car or something and was running lights to get away.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:06 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. I suppose the response to someone nudging your rear wheel is wait for them do it the second time, flip backwards on the bike (as a result of the collision), screaming, the force of trhe collision will probably make you bang the back of your helmet in the middle of the car bonnet hard enough to make a sizeable dent. Stay up on there until the ambulance comes (and therefore the police), because your neck probably hurts.

https://youtu.be/7VYg22lrA0M

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:38 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a similar experience, driver refusing to give details because she couldn't see any damage. By an extraordinary stroke of luck a police car was passing at the time. Flagged them down, in the end they had to threaten to arrest her for dangerous driving before she'd give her details.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:44 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Well. I suppose the response to someone nudging your rear wheel is

Pretty certain I've posted the story before: you get off the bike, grab them by the throat and try to pull them out the window while they scream for help.

Not me, but the old man could flip to borderline psycho. In this instance it was a black cab, North circular.
On another occasion he had a cab driver clinging onto the bull bars of a series 3 landy as he drove down embankment.

I don't think he really liked cabbies.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:58 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I do sympathise, I find it bewildering that you posted and continued to post on here, before you checked your camera was filming?

Also, untill it makes it to spill counted, like, did it even happen though?

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:14 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:

I don't think he really liked cabbies.

Who does?

kal9001
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:55 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:
While I do sympathise, I find it bewildering that you posted and continued to post on here, before you checked your camera was filming?

This...

If I had been in an accident of any kind, the cam would pretty much be the first thing I check. Its understandable though I guess considering the situation, like wtf... You could ask around any shops near the junction if they have CCTV that covers it. They won't give it to you personally, but it would be useful for the police.

The thing is other peeps on here with the same issue, What if its the same stupid fart doing this over and over again and people just keep going "ahhh well" and letting it slide. Clearly the guy is belligerent and needs coming down hard on.

evilzed
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:40 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've contacted insurance will give them footage as they told me most taxis know how to get out of claims and this one would be almost impossible to prove without footage or witnesses so we'll see how it goes.

Damage ain't much chunk of throttle tube broke off with bar end thread thingy being pushed in, nice squished carbon exhaust and bent pegs etc but I had engine bars stop everything else....

Looking forward to my increased premiums Crying or Very sad But I think this driver needs to something to deter him doing it again.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:15 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal9001 wrote:
You could ask around any shops near the junction if they have CCTV that covers it. They won't give it to you personally, but it would be useful for the police.

And if you do, in the unlikely event that the police were to follow it up, by the time they got round to do so the video would have been erased. Typically after a week? Don't ask me how I know.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:18 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal9001 wrote:
You could ask around any shops near the junction if they have CCTV that covers it. They won't give it to you personally

Subject Access Request, ten ponds, gibs.

evilzed wrote:
I've contacted insurance

Whose insurance? Yours, or his?

evilzed wrote:
they told me most taxis know how to get out of claims and this one would be almost impossible to prove without footage or witnesses so we'll see how it goes.

I'm guessing yours. I hope to be wrong.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:04 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: Knocked off bike at lights Reply with quote

evilzed wrote:
Shall I just call the police?

The police won't do anything. I had the driver who crashed into me on the phone to them as he apparently didn't speak engrish too well no, although he could perfectly understand what I was saying to him, funny that Rolling Eyes Filled in a form from the police station, they said blah blah insufficient evidence.

About the witnesses, yeah Londoners are c**ts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 181 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3