Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Got Bikejacked - Stamford Hill - Recovered

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:36 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done. (on getting the bike back)

I had a scary encounter on my commute this morning. There was a cow in a field looking at me funny, I got out of there sharpish.

#LifeOutsideLondon

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:37 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to update your signature matey.

MT09 - Almost stolen

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:37 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pompousporcupine wrote:

Thank you Thumbs Up Did you get it "Professionally" installed?

Yes of sorts. Biketrac recommend you use their authorised installers which isn't cheap or convenient for me. So I opted to use my local garage who was doing my alarm anyway so he just wired up the tracker at the same time, didn't charge extra.

It's a simple install, hardest part is finding a safe place to hide it especially on a tightly packed naked bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:39 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speedy2007 wrote:

Were the keys still with the bike?

No, assuming they were going to come back to the bike once it had "cooled down". I got my brother to bring my spare keys to me.

Only problem is they look one copy of every lock key I have.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:42 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

B0ndy wrote:
Time to update your signature matey.

MT09 - Almost stolen

You're right, gotta be current - done!

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:50 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
bluezedd wrote:
Police definitely need more powers,

Do they really? What additional powers would have helped here? They have the power to stop, search and summarily arrest anyone carrying knives.

I'd say they need to exercise the powers they have.

I am talking about the problem in general, not just one incident. Rolling Eyes

Chasing bikes with no helmets for a start.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:56 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluezedd wrote:

I am talking about the problem in general. Rolling Eyes

The question still stands. What extra powers do the police need they don't already have?

You have given one example but there is actually nothing preventing the police chasing motorcyclists with no helmets. They have made that "rule" up for themselves.

The police could (and can, and have) justify not only chasing, but physically running over a fleeing motorcyclist, with or without a helmet. ESPECIALLY an armed one.

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:02 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

The police could (and can, and have) justify not only chasing, but physically running over a fleeing motorcyclist, with or without a helmet. ESPECIALLY an armed one.

To add to this, the police from Monday night were armed and I heard them getting authorised for T-Pac and stinger use "as required". The office driving was T-Pac trained and had gained pursuit authority before picking me up. He mentioned afterwards the only reason he didn't start a pursuit was because we had a tracker and likelihood of them trashing my bike was high so little to be gained.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:03 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP - glad you're not a stab victim Thumbs Up

I'm with Stinkwheel on this one. The police need to step up and use what resources and powers they have already, just in a more intelligent way than they are at the moment.

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:06 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
bluezedd wrote:

I am talking about the problem in general. Rolling Eyes

The question still stands. What extra powers do the police need they don't already have?

You have given one example but there is actually nothing preventing the police chasing motorcyclists with no helmets. They have made that "rule" up for themselves.

You seem to have completely misunderstood what I meant As you say there is a "rule" that puts the officers in a situation where they may not be able to chase a scummy because of not having a helmet.

I'm talking about individual officers, not the higher ups.

Maybe powers was the wrong word, when I should have said there should not be that "rule" where they can't chase bikes because they don't have a helmet. That is all i meant. What is wrong with that?

TheArchitect wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

To add to this, the police from Monday night were armed and I heard them getting authorised for T-Pac and stinger use "as required". The office driving was T-Pac trained and had gained pursuit authority before picking me up. He mentioned afterwards the only reason he didn't start a pursuit was because we had a tracker and likelihood of them trashing my bike was high so little to be gained.

I wasn't talking about your individual situation, as bad as it may be. I was talking about the problem of these moped thieves in general, but what I have said has been taken out of context.

Glad you got your bike back.

I'm with Stinkwheel on this one. The police need to step up and use what resources and powers they have already, just in a more intelligent way than they are at the moment.[/quote]

I don't understand why it's one or the other.

Last edited by johnsmith222 on 14:19 - 18 Oct 2017; edited 2 times in total

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:11 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus wept!!

I imagine you felt absolutist rough once the Adrenalin wore off.

Congratulations for not being deaded. And what a relief to get the bike back. Certainly makes be rethink the bike trac, seems to be worth its weight in gold in this situation.

Also one for the police to pat each other on the back about.

I too was going to suggest the edit to your sig. Laughing

Were the byklyfs wearing helmets?

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:19 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:

Were the byklyfs wearing helmets?

Vaguely recall a couple of them in balaclavas only. Managed to land a swing on one of them before I got swamped.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:19 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems its not just Bikes and Phones these scrotes will nick... Also not just people outside!

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=322281

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:27 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on not becoming worm food. Stab proof vest next time...

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:36 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Result, I guess.

TheArchitect wrote:
pompousporcupine wrote:
How much is that there biketrac?

£200 unit and installation and £10 per month for subscription.

Far too expensive, unless you live in London, then it's the bargain of the century.

arry wrote:
TheArchitect wrote:

Police have my SD card, once it's returned I'll get it up.

INB4 awareness course for driving without due care.

I'd be surprised if it ever makes it out of the evidence locker. Pleasantly surprised, but...

TheArchitect wrote:
He mentioned afterwards the only reason he didn't start a pursuit was because we had a tracker and likelihood of them trashing my bike was high so little to be gained.

Killing or crippling a bike thief would have significant merit, since it's the only thing that will stop them.

However...

bluezedd wrote:
You seem to have completely misunderstood what I meant

Well, let's all be clear where the problem lies, which is that the police enjoy very few statutory rights or protections that Joe Public doesn't have.

The list of road traffic laws to which they enjoy a defence is very small, and none of those are a defence to a charge of careless of dangerous driving, or causing death or serious injury through same.

Simply: under any circumstance where they can justify a hot pursuit then ramming a pikey off a bikey, so could you or I.

The police Fed are just after recommending that coppers do not speed and do not go through red lights until their protections are increased.

Giving them more defences or more immunity to prosecution is a fairly slippery slope, although at this point I would be prepared to give a small nudge to get them started down it as regards bike thefts.

Be clear though, there's never going to be a law that says "Yeah, coppers can ram off #BykLayf and pikeys and scum like that, but not decent folk who fail to see them or get a bit of red mist on."

Last edited by Rogerborg on 17:22 - 18 Oct 2017; edited 1 time in total

kal9001
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:42 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
bluezedd wrote:
Police definitely need more powers,

Do they really? What additional powers would have helped here? They have the power to stop, search and summarily arrest anyone carrying knives.

I'd say they need to exercise the powers they have.

Indeed. the police have an enormous amount of power which they seem to use for harassment and bullying and blatant EZmode policing.
What we need is tougher sentences for people who do this sort of stuff,
and better powers to gather evidence once they know a crime has been committed.

The legal system we have is erroded enough that I won't say we need a lower bar to prosecute because that will only end up being abused. The big issue here is that I, and im sure very many others have an issue trusting that any additional power won't be misused or redirected.
Such as anti-terrorism laws being used to 'legally' enter peoples houses to search for weed, dodgy DVD's or to aid debt collectors!

Otherwise I sympathise with the OP, shame they didn't catch any of the wank stains doing it, I've seen lots of youtube, big scooters driving around with no plates on, two or three bikes with pillions, running lights, riding on pavements...etc, and that's even when they aren't being chased! It would be easy to say they are eastern European gangs with mostly illegals working for them but who knows...

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:52 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheArchitect wrote:

Yep - Biketrac posted the incident on their FB page and someone commented that thieves are actively going for MT09s now.

Pale

Well... They are moar powerfuller than Striples....

https://gifimage.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/troll-face-gif-8.gif

TheArchitect wrote:

£200 unit and installation and £10 per month for subscription.

Worth every penny by the sounds of it.
I may consider this when my gap insurance runs out. Got a couple of years left on that. Bristol has it's own
baklaffcunts though and it's only a matter of time before they start heading into the countryside to nick bikes.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:25 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the police to be able to use their powers to target bikelife dindus they need to know that they've got the full backing of their seniors rather than knowing that they're likely to be hung out to dry should the little shit fall off.

And it would also be helpful if the courts didn't let the thieving scum off with lenient sentences.

The more stuff people report to the police about obviously suspicious bikelife scrotes, the greater chance they've got of being able to catch them.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:37 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad OP is ok Thumbs Up
Looking forward to you putting up the video.
Can you capture stills from the video of their faces?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:40 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus. I worked in London from end of 2012 to the end of 2015 and it seems to have deteriorated terribly in under 2 years.

Bike jackings, moped gangs, terrorists and thats not counting the lowlifes that were already a blight on society.

If I never go back I won't be crying about it.

I'm glad you got your bike back and your weren't reduced to another statistic. Thumbs Up

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:47 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal9001 wrote:
It would be easy to say they are eastern European gangs with mostly illegals working for them but who knows...

Judging by the accents of those that accosted me, they were born in Britain.

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:05 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

barrkel wrote:

Judging by the accents of those that accosted me, they were born in Britain.

The ones that got me were definitely black kids from london. You know, the type that make those shitty music videos showing off a wad of ten pound notes and a couple bags of weed. #ballers

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:28 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheArchitect wrote:
The ones that got me were definitely black kids from london.

https://i.imgur.com/SdzVQyY.png

You were really robbed by our racist post-colonial society, bruv. It's just reparations, allow it.

Big-ups to Biketrac, they're still the only outfit that I've heard first hand glowing owner reports about. Thumbs Up

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:38 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Big-ups to Biketrac, they're still the only outfit that I've heard first hand glowing owner reports about. Thumbs Up

They can have some free advertising on BCF. Mr. Green

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:47 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheArchitect wrote:
Eventually they parked (hid) the bike in an estate in Tottenham.

Do you know which one?

Glad you got it back. Think I'm getting the bus from now on Shifty
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 182 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7