Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Got Bikejacked - Stamford Hill - Recovered

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:26 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

barrkel wrote:

These are my personal responses:

* Prosecute people who are caught. They found my scooter and arrested a kid; I'll try and ID him and will give evidence if a case goes forward.

* Use a tracking device to increase probability of getting bike back if jacked again, with some luck the bike will be co-located with the offender(s)

* Engage politically at multiple levels to increase attention; local MPs, Mayor, council, newspapers, etc.

Yes, all good ways of dealing with it long term Thumbs Up

barrkel wrote:

* Do not resist jacking - the risks are too high

I think along the same lines as Chris-red.
I'd expect that most would move on to an easier target if their current target fights back - Like handbag snatchers that give up and run away if the woman hangs on to it long enough.

But as Chris-red says, saying that now is easy. Crying or Very sad

Chris-red wrote:

I feel that would have something to lose, they don't want to me hurt or injured as it seems so easy for them for take bikes why would they risk pain when they could try someone else instead.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:36 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A remote engine kill would probably be the next logical step from the tracker (or as part of it).

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:38 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
A remote engine kill would probably be the next logical step from the tracker (or as part of it).

Id prefer a remote airbag under the seat, but the above would work as well. Thumbs Up Laughing

"Gimme bike"

"Sure, have at it, here are the keys. Enjoy"

Braaaaaap, Braaaaaaaapp, BANG, crunch, splat

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:05 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
But as Chris-red says, saying that now is easy.

My perspective is also coloured by the relative value of a bike to me; I could buy a brand new 125cc scooter every month on my take-home pay, and still pay mortgage and bills. The Brutale I could only manage quarterly or so, but again - it's a setback, but not catastrophic or even a hardship really.

Between myself and my GF, we've had 5 thefts of scooters (double-counting recovered scoots that are subsequently stolen again). The theft of a bike is a PITA, but violence is what really shakes you up and makes you question how you move around in the world. Theft you can mitigate with security, but there's no reliable defence against violence, and the downsides of escalation are dramatic and potentially fatally final.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

barrkel wrote:

My perspective is also coloured by the relative value of a bike to me; I could buy a brand new 125cc scooter every month on my take-home pay, and still pay mortgage and bills. The Brutale I could only manage quarterly or so, but again - it's a setback, but not catastrophic or even a hardship really.

Between myself and my GF, we've had 5 thefts of scooters (double-counting recovered scoots that are subsequently stolen again). The theft of a bike is a PITA, but violence is what really shakes you up and makes you question how you move around in the world. Theft you can mitigate with security, but there's no reliable defence against violence, and the downsides of escalation are dramatic and potentially fatally final.

Thumbs Up

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:22 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I found myself in that situation, then take the damn bike and (assuming my gap insurance has expired)
I'll simply buy another one. If I got myself hurt or worse over a bit of metal and plastic I can't imagine my wife and family
would consider it a worthwhile sacrifice. Sure, they can nick my bike but they will never have my comfortable lifestyle
and their shitty, grasping, desperate lives will always be significantly shitter than mine, whatever item they steal from me.
Odds on they'll probably end up dying by the same sword they have lived by and be turned on by one of their own ilk, I
must admit that gives me some satisfaction. They will never travel the world like I have, or have a successful business and
the financial security that goes with that. It's unlikely they will ever own a house as they are quite tricky things to steal,
whereas I already own several. So yeah, nick my bike. I'll buy another better one and they'll still be a shitty little scrub with
a shortened life expectancy who is only ever going to be a waster in this world Middle Finger Sucks to be them.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:24 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
If I found myself in that situation, then take the damn bike and (assuming my gap insurance has expired)
I'll simply buy another one. If I got myself hurt or worse over a bit of metal and plastic I can't imagine my wife and family
would consider it a worthwhile sacrifice. Sure, they can nick my bike but they will never have my comfortable lifestyle
and their shitty, grasping, desperate lives will always be significantly shitter than mine, whatever item they steal from me.
Odds on they'll probably end up dying by the same sword they have lived by and be turned on by one of their own ilk, I
must admit that gives me some satisfaction. They will never travel the world like I have, or have a successful business and
the financial security that goes with that. It's unlikely they will ever own a house as they are quite tricky things to steal,
whereas I already own several. So yeah, nick my bike. I'll buy another better one and they'll still be a shitty little scrub with
a shortened life expectancy who is only ever going to be a waster in this world Middle Finger Sucks to be them.

Clapping

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:59 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Jesus. I worked in London from end of 2012 to the end of 2015 and it seems to have deteriorated terribly in under 2 years.

Bike jackings, moped gangs, terrorists and thats not counting the lowlifes that were already a blight on society.

I've worked in central London from '09 to present, it's not perceptively worse than it was (well, I guess I could be like the frog in the cold-to-boiling water)
I witnessed bahklahffers pushing a stolen bike along, but that was back in '14 (IIRC) - not witnessed anything since.

My NC700 is now five years old and seems to be bahklahf repellent - I'd love to replace it with something else, but it's too reliable and too undesirable for me to want to.

Glad OP wasn't skewered, definitely the right choice to just let it go.
In that situation I'd like to think that I'd let go of my bike in the mic-drop style, and walk casually away.*

https://gifimage.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/obama-mic-drop-gif-1.gif

*I wouldn't, I'd leg it.

Ericck
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:13 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Ericck wrote:
packing a big hammer in my tank bag whenever I ride through town.

Under what circumstances do you imagine you'd conclude that yes, you are actually being jacked, and make the decision to inflict potentially lethal injuries on another person in time to whip out your mighty weapon and start swinging it?

I'm genuinely interested in how the action movie in your head plays out.

No action movie. What do you know about anyone or how they have lived their life

You might shit your pants at a bit of violence and I know only too well that you can never tell what fear might do when the situation arises, I might shit my pants too.

However inflicting potentially lethal injuries on some no mark has always been an easy decision for me.
Previous Bikes: Yamaha FS1E, Mobylette Moped Thingy, Suzuki GS125, Kawasaki Zephyr 550, Kawasaki Zephyr 750, Kawasaki ER500, Suzuki Bandit 600, Honda CBR600F, Triumph Street Triple 675, Suzuki V Strom 650.

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:22 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear you're not out of a bike or life.

One thing I feel I would like to try is that if I would be clear enough of mind; steering lock on, snap top of key off.

I feel it could be done in a quick enough movement that it could almost go unnoticed until they realise they can't push or ride the bike away.

I appreciate this is borderline Hollywood action scene fantasy and highly unlikely to be done in the kerfuffle of it all.

But it's the first thing that comes to mind for first line of defence of the bike.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:31 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hartgill Close BS13 0BU is the road she was on

she saw it three times after but police not interested even though once was in a garden with 2 other stolen bikes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:34 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
Hartgill Close BS13 0BU is the road she was on

she saw it three times after but police not interested even though once was in a garden with 2 other stolen bikes

Bishopsworth scummers then. I've ridden through there and felt beady eyes on my bike before.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:02 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
barrkel wrote:

These guys have nothing to lose. Honestly, no bike is worth permanent injury or disfigurement.

I do agree. But things like this wont change unless people start standing up to them.

Whilst bikers are an "easy" target - they will continue to go after them.

I dont have a solution. thats just my thoughts on the subject. Thumbs Up

That's a bullshit post. People standing up to these criminals deters the weaker ones but means the harder ones respond with more weaponry and more of a strike first attitude.

You feel free to fight the good fight, smacking in intimidated old lady's wing mirrors because you don't like their driving which changes shit for the positive, but in the real world, where lives are now properly at stake - like hell I'd take a butcher's knife to the stomach for a four grand scooter, and to hell with anyone who might think less of me for that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Yorkshire Geek
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:48 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

You feel free to fight the good fight, smacking in intimidated old lady's wing mirrors because you don't like their driving which changes shit for the positive, but in the real world, where lives are now properly at stake - like hell I'd take a butcher's knife to the stomach for a four grand scooter, and to hell with anyone who might think less of me for that.

#micdrop

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:57 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

Pussy.

😂🤣

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:11 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the insurance situation with a bike jacking? I'm assuming you'd need theft cover or would that be invalid?

It depends on the situation, the number of people involved and how/if they're armed. When a group set upon you it's normally just a blur of punches and kicks, you might be Jason Statham but in real life they don't wait their turn to lay into you Smile

I'd feel a bit shit (to say the least) giving up my bike, and that's from growing up in a shit hole area where Dindus did try to rob me and my mates a lot (less so when we got older). I'd have had no money or phone if I willingly handed over my shit.

Also violence's a part of it, I wouldn't see handing your bike over as a guarantee you're not going to be stabbed or have acid thrown in your face.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:22 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Also violence's a part of it, I wouldn't see handing your bike over as a guarantee you're not going to be stabbed or have acid thrown in your face.

I got bike jacked years ago for my mountain bike as I rode home, once it was on the ground and out from under me with one across the road on it the other was coming towards me "you've got the bike, just go" and he paused for a moment, stepped towards me then ran across to join his mate making off down the one route I hadn't thought of trying as my method of escape

so it's possible that handing over the key and stepping back will prevent personal harm, hopefully I never have to find out.

Vracktal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:03 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly at the moment the chosen method in London seems to be flinging acid in bikers faces *then* grabbing for the bike while the victim writhes in agony. With that in mind i've started keeping tabs on bikes around me and approaching, especially at lights.

Had a couple of 'oh shi-' moments on my commute, specifically one where two guys on a tmax kept pace with me for several miles on my commute into central. I got so paranoid that at every traffic light I had to stop at I kept a mental escape route clear. In the end I detoured down a housign estate that took me off the main road and they didn't follow me. I'd rather be paranoid than right though.

I've seen bike thiefs out on a stolen bike before too, actually in the middle of a police chase. They spanked it past me through a red light followed by at least three police cars, riding a scooter with no helmets on. No idea if they got caught or not. Hope they died.

Tbh looking into trackers now.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:18 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheArchitect wrote:

GSXR 600 K6 - Stolen
GSXR 600 K6 - Stolen
MT09 - Almost stolen
MT09 - Stolen recovered

ftfy

that’s some shit luck, makes me glad I’ve got the tracker though, just renewed a month back.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:37 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ericck wrote:
However inflicting potentially lethal injuries on some no mark has always been an easy decision for me.

How many hath you killed and eaten?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:04 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following the tangent this thread seems to be taking:

People need to bear in mind what kind of thing happens to those members of society who legitimately and legally use violence. They end up with PTSD, can't hold a stable relationship etc etc...

People bandy about the idea of violence on the internet. And from the comfort of a computer chair behind a keyboard it all seems very obvious. You'll do XYZ to save the bike, stand proudly in a heroic pose and fair maidens/hunky men (as per your preferences) will run up to you and kiss you.

Unfortunately unless you train for exactly that scenario, your conscious mind won't have enough time to process anything. I'm fairly impressed our OP managed to lash out, that is quite a feat considering. Even those who train day-in day-out to fight multiple assailants starting astride a motorcycle with a crash helmet fastened to their head are not about to come out on top in that confrontation. One guy, two guys maybe but four or five? Maybe if you're a hybrid clone of Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris and Donnie Yen... but hardly anyone has that level of skill. Even the police and army don't train unarmed combat to that level.

I sincerely doubt there is a member of this forum who could fight to that level, and if they can I doubt they'll mention it anyway.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:09 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Following the tangent this thread seems to be taking:

People need to bear in mind what kind of thing happens to those members of society who legitimately and legally use violence. They end up with PTSD, can't hold a stable relationship etc etc...

People bandy about the idea of violence on the internet. And from the comfort of a computer chair behind a keyboard it all seems very obvious. You'll do XYZ to save the bike, stand proudly in a heroic pose and fair maidens/hunky men (as per your preferences) will run up to you and kiss you.

Unfortunately unless you train for exactly that scenario, your conscious mind won't have enough time to process anything. I'm fairly impressed our OP managed to lash out, that is quite a feat considering. Even those who train day-in day-out to fight multiple assailants starting astride a motorcycle with a crash helmet fastened to their head are not about to come out on top in that confrontation. One guy, two guys maybe but four or five? Maybe if you're a hybrid clone of Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris and Donnie Yen... but hardly anyone has that level of skill. Even the police and army don't train unarmed combat to that level.

I sincerely doubt there is a member of this forum who could fight to that level, and if they can I doubt they'll mention it anyway.

My moneys on Hellcat. Razz

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:10 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Wonder what happened to Rufus?

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:11 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
....[if] there is a member of this forum who could fight to that level, and if they can I doubt they'll mention it anyway.

My money's on Smiler.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:44 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:

My money's on Smiler.

Im changing my vote to KTM man.

If he can stop em - he'll stop em.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 161 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7