Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Any Recommendation for External CCTV For a House?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:58 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Any Recommendation for External CCTV For a House? Reply with quote

As the title says.

We have had more and more break-ins and just straight vandalism round here and I haven't got a big dog any more so I fancy fitting CCTV to the house.

3 or 4 cameras, 2 at the front, 1 at the back and the 4th if it is a 4 camera system inside the garage.

I want wireless and looked at this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00TDNYNN0/ref=twister_B01MXHXVLT?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 which has battery operated cameras so no wires at all, but not got the best reviews. Also battery life looks shite so probably it will have to be mains powered cameras.

I also want recording to a receiver, not the cloud and the ability to log on from a smart phone.

Top end price £500ish.

Is this doable. Has anyone got a system that works as it should and actually gives a decent picture?

There are stacks on ebay and Amazon but I really do not have a clue what is good and what isn't.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:05 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the Friedland branded stuff is reasonably priced.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:37 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do no go too cheap.

You need pretty sharp resolution if the Po Po want any chance of identifying the thieving bastirts.

They will know you have cameras so will go in Hooded.

They are not good at school but they mostly can avoid surveillance.

I have front and back but about as much use as a chocolate fire guard.

Smile

An sensible option is to make your gaff more scrote proof.
Big heavy doors and hinges and locks and bars on the windows.

I need to do something about my cement sheet roof as it is a weak point.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:43 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've got a Swann system

https://www.swann.com/uk/

Still didn't stop some t**ts breaking into the camper, despite the cameras being clearly visible !! Luckily, they could clone the key code, so couldn't drive it off !

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:27 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
We've got a Swann system

https://www.swann.com/uk/

Still didn't stop some t**ts breaking into the camper, despite the cameras being clearly visible !! Luckily, they could clone the key code, so couldn't drive it off !

Which one have you got? The totally wireless one?

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:23 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not totally wireless, the cameras are wired to a dvr in the loft, which is then configured so as to be on my home wifi network, although, that may be via a wifi bridge. I set it up a while ago !! I'll have to go and check up in the loft for that, which I can't do until tomorrow.

I guess, it's the equivalent of this one in the current range

https://www.swann.com/uk/swdvk-445502

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:29 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.0MP or higher AHD is about the best price/performance stuff I've seen. Better is NVR, worse is Analog (700TVL), but avoid that, it's not much cheaper for far less picture quality.

You can pick up a networked AHD DVR for £30 from Aliexpress, add a 3.5" SATA HD (old 1TB in mine), and camera of your choice (I have a mix of bullet and dome, Sony IMX323 based, about £20-30 each). Resolution is very good indeed, and not wallet-rapingly expensive, and remotely accessible on my phone/computer if I'm away. Motion triggers, masked areas, all the usual things you would expect from a DVR.

Swann are overpriced, especially from Maplin.

Start with the DVR, and work your way around to price it up. I use CAT5 and baluns to connect multiple camera's, save 6 extra runs of cable going up my stairs -
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/AHD-N-DVR-4Channel-8Channel-CCTV-AHD-DVR-AHD-N-Hybrid-DVR-1080P-NVR-4in1-Video/32624373815.html

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:24 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm cheap.

1080p £15 cameras from gearbest/AliExpress.

£50 pc with 4tb space and Blue Iris running. Job done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:55 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why specifically wireless btw?

I got a set from amazon about a year ago for £180 - kit included 2 cameras and a PVR that would hold up to 21 days of recordings before looping and wiping it.

1 hole drilled through the wall is all it took, the wires internaly just got tucked behind the skirting boards.

Rogue_Shadow
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:38 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

An sensible option is to make your gaff more scrote proof.
Big heavy doors and hinges and locks and bars on the windows.

Dis Thumbs Up

As nice as it is having a video memento of your stuff getting nicked, I'd rather put my money on deterring RobbyMcRobFace.
Besides, a camera can be evaded , a basic alarm and reinforced door cannot.

Spend £20 on Paddy's setup and the rest on fortifications Cool

Last edited by Rogue_Shadow on 12:57 - 19 Oct 2017; edited 1 time in total

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:55 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogue_Shadow wrote:

Besides, a camera can be evaded a basic alarm and reinforced door cannot.
Cool

Id prefer all 3 tbh.

Cameras are as much a visual deterrent as they are for video evidence in my view

When was the last time you heard a house alarm going off and went wandering into the night to see if your neighbours house was being burgled? People just ignore them.

Im all for the reinforced doors, multipoint locks are great Thumbs Up It doesnt stop them breaking in though a window though.

I find the best way is to have one of these.

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTA0WDM3Ng==/z/GNYAAOSwCU1Y4A6V/$_86.JPG

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:39 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wireless because I live in a large footprint bungalow and the wife will kill me if I lay any wires that aren't hidden. I'm too tight/poor to have someone in to rebate into the plasterwork and then redecorate.

I would love another 4 legged burgler alarm but wifie doesn't want another big dog and a fucking Yorkshire terrier just doesn't cut the mustard with the local scrotes.

I'm more interested in them thinking it isn't worth the trouble and going on to someone else.

Perhaps I should get shot of the wife and get a big dog. Although she is probably scarier than Rin Tin Tin.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:44 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Wireless because I live in a large footprint bungalow and the wife will kill me if I lay any wires that aren't hidden and I'm too tight/poor to have someone in to rebate into the plasterwork and then redecorate.

I would love another 4 legged burgler alarm but wifie doesn't want another big dog and a fucking Yorkshire terrier just doesn't cut the mustard with the local scrotes.

I'm more interested in them thinking it isn't worth the trouble and going on to someone else.

Perhaps I should get shot of the wife and get a big dog. Although she is probably scarier than Rin Tin Tin.

Rated funny because it is Smile

I just dont rate the wifi ones, Ive got 2 internal wifi motorola cams and they regularly (read as once or twice a month) - need resetting because they have "lost" the wifi connection. And I dont live in a mansion, its a normal detached house - its even timber frame rather than brick so the signal loss should be minimal.

Catch 22 applies doesnt it. you want it to look like its well protected to put scrotes off... But if it looks well protected, they may well assume theres something in there worth nicking. Crying or Very sad

As for the wires, I fed them around the outside of the house along pre existing paths (Sky / BT etc) and then only took them into the actual property on the exact wall of the room the PVR was.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:24 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Wireless because I live in a large footprint bungalow and the wife will kill me if I lay any wires that aren't hidden. I'm too tight/poor to have someone in to rebate into the plasterwork and then redecorate.

Wireless aren't generally truly wireless though, as you still need to power them.

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want decent quality, something like this

Ive gone the cheap path in the past, an camera quality was pants
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:06 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mudcow007 wrote:
If you want decent quality, something like this

Ive gone the cheap path in the past, an camera quality was pants

I found a lectrical shop in Glasgow who sell all sorts of lectrical stuff. They have very very cheap Hi Res cameras for very cheap. Very accurate image quality from 40ft away. I think they sold for about £70 ea.
But they are not wire-less Wireless meaning just less wires as they need to be powered somehow. Not sure if battery and solar is an option on this stuff.

The swan stuff is fcuking cheap shite and will fail after a while if you can get it to work in the first place.

That Kikvision looks not bad but the main ingredient in a surveillance system is the quality of the camera/s.
Weigh in heavy on the cameras and skimp on the recording device.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:35 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Wireless aren't generally truly wireless though, as you still need to power them.

Oh yes I totally agree but running a power lead from a close supply is one thing. Running wires to a central point where the VDR is is a lot of wire to hide. Thats why I wanted wireless. The only systems with battery powered cameras I have found have not got a good write up and the battery life is pants.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:03 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 'system' is wireless. Signal is poor. I have spent hours aiming and 're connecting and even fitted a brand new wireless camera but still dodgy.

If I ever upgrade I'll go for fully wired. I think they only need sort of phone line type wire.

Could you get colour coded cable and hide wires in shadows etc if you can''t chase them.

Compromisism required.

There must be a cctv forum out there...

Or, being a paid up BCFer, have you been banned from it already? Rolling Eyes Very Happy

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:10 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wireless data seems a bit pants. What if the scrotes bring along a WiFi jammer? No use then.

If I was a scrote one of them portable WiFi/mobile phone jammers would be well worth the 300 quid. Hampers the ability of inhabitants to call police (plenty of people don't have a landline, let alone a landline in the bedroom) and can also apparently neutralize the CCTV system.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:49 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
My 'system' is wireless. Signal is poor. I have spent hours aiming and 're connecting and even fitted a brand new wireless camera but still dodgy.

If I ever upgrade I'll go for fully wired. I think they only need sort of phone line type wire.

Could you get colour coded cable and hide wires in shadows etc if you can''t chase them.

Compromisism required.

There must be a cctv forum out there...

Or, being a paid up BCFer, have you been banned from it already? Rolling Eyes Very Happy

Probably. Laughing

If BCF don't know, it isn't worth knowing. Cool

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:00 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:

Oh yes I totally agree but running a power lead from a close supply is one thing. Running wires to a central point where the VDR is is a lot of wire to hide. Thats why I wanted wireless. The only systems with battery powered cameras I have found have not got a good write up and the battery life is pants.

I'm a bit thick with regards to cameras etc. What do the end connectors that run to the receiver consist of? If they're Ethernet, could you not consider a homeplug type scenario?

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:02 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s these:

https://www.parts-express.com/Data/Default/Images/Catalog/Original/335-362_HR_0.jpg

There is a power element to the wire - so it is fairly chunky - 2.5mm if I remember rightly - but combined width of wire is no wider than a sky cable.

As I said earlier - I just take them around the outside of the house and in to where they are needed.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:44 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hikvision

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:54 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Baluns on my cameras.

Ran network cable (as i can get it for nowt from work) then use a pair for video an a pair for power.

It works good

on the end of the baluns you still need the coax connection as per Hawkeye's post

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:11 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go round the corner to the new drug dealers in our area and ask them, but don't really want to get involved if I can help it. Laughing

They've recently installed a full package of CCTV and it most definitely wasn't cheap - infra red 360 camera sticking out of the corner of their house, another one on the other side at the front and 1 or 2 at the back. I suspect it's all wireless and viewable via remote/smart phone since I happened to be walking past when the CCTV company van was there and setting up the system on his laptop from the road.

I wonder why they'd need such a system, we have a very low crime rate in our area... Police
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 180 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2