Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Universal Credit Call Chargers - 55p a minute

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:47 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking of putting my idea to the government,which is to make the cost of toilet paper astronomically high.
This will encourage people to get a job, in order to take their shits at work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:53 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This entire topic has be triggered but more because it shows how much power the media wields and how stupid people are and don't even question it...

The PM has had to release a statement that the number will be changed to a 'free for all people under all circumstances' number because a tiny margin of people may end up paying 55p because they are on a shit phone deal.

The fact it got that far, the fact so many people believe everyone pays 55p without even questioning it is infuriating, the fact Corbyn has not been pulled up on mis-representing the facts, borderline out right lying to the public to 'score points' is a bloody disgrace.

As we sink into the relmes of populist politics it seems.

It's as bad as the people I work with insisting you need a TV licence just to 'own a TV'? FFS Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:55 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

Great thinking, and if anyone brings up the topic of those who can't afford to put bread on the table, I suggest we let them eat cake.

Bread's pretty cheap these days, you can buy 20 wholemeal loaves for the cost of 20 B&H

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:12 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:

Great thinking, and if anyone brings up the topic of those who can't afford to put bread on the table, I suggest we let them eat cake.

Bread's pretty cheap these days, you can buy 20 wholemeal loaves for the cost of 20 B&H

I wish I could afford to smoke Crying or Very sad

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:28 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better things to spend money on than fags. Although I did smoke for a lot of years, ironically when I was considerably more
financially challenged. Mrs grr calls it a tax on the poor. I suppose HMRC have get a slice out of them somehow...

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:00 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly not a cheap hobby. Rather run a motorbike.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:39 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
M.C wrote:
It adds up when you're on hold for an hour.

60 free minutes out of your 5000 free ones. Guess you'd just have to OMG to your mates a bit less for the rest of the month.

Sure if you have any. I had to call about a change of circumstances before (I owed them more money) and it cost like £9 Confused

arry wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:
Okay, how about we make the 999 number premium rate too?

Too implies as well as. As well as what?

Try calling 101* and see if it's included in your minutes Smile

*there's an 0207 number tho.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:52 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Sure if you have any. I had to call about a change of circumstances before (I owed them more money) and it cost like £9 Confused.

Well if they will spend all their time ringing Virgin Media to sort out an upgrade package to their TV service.....

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:22 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
M.C wrote:

Sure if you have any. I had to call about a change of circumstances before (I owed them more money) and it cost like £9 Confused.

Well if they will spend all their time ringing Virgin Media to sort out an upgrade package to their TV service.....

I see you're being facetious there. Laughing
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:56 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Your mobile provider charged you £9 for a local rate call.

Yeah OK.

Landline. Can't remember the exact figure but I can check if you're really that interested.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:03 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

Your mobile provider charged you £9 for a local rate call.

Yeah OK.

I can supply a phone with 5,000 free minutes a month to 01,02,03 and 07 and still makes a considerable profit on that.

18 minutes on 55p/minute.

Not that hard to believe that it can happen, is it Donk?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:03 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You fucing piece of shit,

Unplug your landline > only use your mobile > ??? > profit

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:56 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatefreak wrote:
This entire topic has be triggered but more because it shows how much power the media wields and how stupid people are and don't even question it...

The PM has had to release a statement that the number will be changed to a 'free for all people under all circumstances' number because a tiny margin of people may end up paying 55p because they are on a shit phone deal.

The fact it got that far, the fact so many people believe everyone pays 55p without even questioning it is infuriating, the fact Corbyn has not been pulled up on mis-representing the facts, borderline out right lying to the public to 'score points' is a bloody disgrace.

As we sink into the relmes of populist politics it seems.

It's as bad as the people I work with insisting you need a TV licence just to 'own a TV'? FFS Rolling Eyes

Well if you want to discuss the utter failings of a nation, it's probably worth asking yourself what kind of idiot government - a government of a strong economy, high population country with a long and successful history - cannot even set up a phone number with a pricing scheme that doesn't require the user to have the correct type of phone contract via a particular private service provider in order to ensure it doesn't cost more than it should.

For some reason this kind of downright idiocy is handwaved away, as if it's par for the course when the Great British Government does it, but I bet you now if you heard similar about some broken banana republic somewhere doing similar you'd use it as justification to prove just how much of a mess their political and governmental system really is. Needlessly convoluted government helpline arrangements (but of course it's free and easy if you want to report something that'll help them claw some money back from the nation they're supposed to be supporting) - a sure sign of selfish and shambolic leadership in action.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:05 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:
It's quite unwise to ignore those with nothing to lose. Or do you think violent crime is mostly caused by people with comfortable lives?

I don't find "or else" particularly engages my compassion or inclines me to voluntarily surrender the fruits of my labour

Well you'll have to suck it up I'm afraid Laughing because that's the only reason anyone anywhere ever has to pay taxes for anything. Pay or die, in many different ways.

Funny how different you think you are from the average human. It would be great to observe how a suddenly destitute Rogerborg might go about his daily life.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:27 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
It would be great to observe how a suddenly destitute Rogerborg might go about his daily life.

Grasping and griping that I'm never being given enough free stuff, like every other poor, I assure you.

However, not at 55p a minute.

On that: could it be that poors are poor because they make bad choices?

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:14 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Absolutely not.

[**Slightly tangential ramble warning**]

For sure there will be people who fail through sheer idiocy.

But if you walk around any 'poor' neighbourhood, it isn't a mixed bag of randomers who fell to the bottom rung of society through their own failings. It's people who were born and grew up there. Then walk around one of the nice spots in the home counties. A very large amount of those people will also be born and raised in the area. I find it absurd that anyone can think the current 'setup' of society is due entirely to the smooth flow of intellect and capability moving to its natural place. It totally ignores the factor of birthplace, for a start. Do you think there's a revolving door between Kensington and Moss Side where the best slide naturally into Kensington while the worst are dumped in Moss Side?

Sure people can fall up and down the social/economic ladder, but there's a lot to be said for the station one starts at in life. And sure, people in a rough area can improve their lot and move house to a nice area to 'escape' it, but that won't work for 10 or 20 thousand at a time.

At best I'd use the 'trickle-down' model to describe it. Some folk trickle up, some folk trickle down, but generally most stay at the level they were born, give or take half a standard deviation. Nothing to do with adult choices; everything to do with given circumstances.

Another demonstrative factor is education. Good teachers don't want to teach at shit schools in shit areas, at least not for the pay and conditions currently on offer. So that's another entrenched disadvantage from the start, in 'poor people' areas. How can they compete if they can't even be educated properly?

This ties into another thing too. I found an interesting (if not a tad old) report today about the cause of crime in society. My mate was claiming black people are naturally predisposed to violent crime because of their culture. This report found otherwise. Most interesting is that the biggest cause of crime isn't racial or (as I thought) economic, it's educational - bad schools make bad kids.

Quote:
●● Social class, ethnic group and religious participation
were not significantly associated with increased or
reduced likelihood of offending
, ASB and drug use.

Family, peer group and school factors were found to
be very important influences on the pathways of young
people (but these data related only to sample members
aged up to 16).

●● Having a friend or sibling who had been in trouble
with the police increased the likelihood of an
offending or drug-use trajectory. This reflects
previous evidence of the importance of co-offending
among young people.
●● Living in a family headed by a single parent reduced
the likelihood of a non-offending or drug-free
trajectory. Living with a parent with a new partner
reduced this likelihood even further.
●● Both liberal and authoritarian styles of parenting
were associated with an increased likelihood of a
non-offending or drug-free trajectory among young
people, suggesting the key factor was probably
consistency of parental influence.
●● Finally, young people were asked about violence
towards teachers, truanting and standards of
behaviour at their school. Decreasing levels of school
discipline increased the likelihood of an offending or
drug-use trajectory

So to conclude this, I say eradicate the soft touch approach used in most schools today, harden kids up and turn them into proper adults with an idea of society and a wider social conscience than they gain from instagram and facebook alone, and give good incentives to get the best teachers to work in the worst areas.

And to return to your original point - being poor is a result of things far more nuanced than just 'bad choices'.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:59 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home schooled children used to do far, far, far better than state school educated children.

I stress "used to" because that research was done when home schooling was a choice. Now it's increasingly a checkbox for excluded Dindus studying at X-Box Academy.

So I don't blame the schools, I blame the parents. Specifically, lazy, thick and/or absentee parents who pump out kids and then eschew any responsibility for raising them to read and write, or 2 nowe write from rong.

If we want to point a finger at the State, it's at the welfare system that enables and encourages low IQ r-selected gene lines not only to survive, but to be fruitful and multiply. You can't fix stupid.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:16 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Like choosing where they're born?

mpd72 wrote:
This is a problem with a handful of mobile phone providers and some people too thick to see through the anti Tory propaganda.

How is it? Would you be happy with (paying for) any service that leaves you on hold for over an hour?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:46 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Like choosing where they're born?

Fair point, we are a bit dim out here in the Provinces.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:38 - 21 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
M.C wrote:

How is it? Would you be happy with (paying for) any service that leaves you on hold for over an hour?

Happy? No. Live in the real world. Yes.

0800’s are quite expensive to the receiver, you understand they pay I take it?

It’s used by organisations who profit from the call, not ones who lose money to social fund leaches.

Leeches*

Abdi Jihadi has better comprehension than you and he's straight off the banana boat.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:28 - 21 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
It’s used by organisations who profit from the call, not ones who lose money to social fund leaches.

There goes your brilliant logic again. Those calls include people who have a change in circumstances, i.e. a reduction in benefits.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:25 - 21 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A leech that sucks less blood is still a blood sucking leech.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 161 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4