Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

When to get new tyres?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:45 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: When to get new tyres? Reply with quote

Hi, ive been riding for almost two months now and im wondering if its worth getting some new tyres for my bike.

i ride a sym gts 125, (maxi scooter) but every weekend i have to ride up and down an old quarry with very slippery slopes when wet.

The current tyres have tread, but is it worth keeping them until they wear down to buy new ones with more off-road potential such as the "Michelin reggae" or do i just get rid? .

Thanks guys,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:13 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: When to get new tyres? Reply with quote

adengtg wrote:
Hi, ive been riding for almost two months now and im wondering if its worth getting some new tyres for my bike.

i ride a sym gts 125, (maxi scooter) but every weekend i have to ride up and down an old quarry with very slippery slopes when wet.

The current tyres have tread, but is it worth keeping them until they wear down to buy new ones with more off-road potential such as the "Michelin reggae" or do i just get rid? .

Thanks guys,

Fuck off Arcane

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:15 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: When to get new tyres? Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
adengtg wrote:

Thanks guys,

Fuck off Arcane

What? what the fuck are you on about?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 23:27 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's curious.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:45 - 18 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: When to get new tyres? Reply with quote

adengtg wrote:

Every new member has to pass the custard test, otherwise sock Smile

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:14 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: When to get new tyres? Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
adengtg wrote:

Every new member has to pass the custard test, otherwise sock Smile

Again...WHAT?!?

im really confzzled

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:30 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

We get a lot of these:
https://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/uncyclopedia/images/8/83/A_Sock_Puppet.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20090707045712

Fantasists wasting everyone's time. Therefore new members have to pass the custard test to prove they're real:
https://thumbsnap.com/s/eJdsqIcS.jpg

Very Happy

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:28 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep them untill you can see the metal. Only then do you need new ones.

When you change them, be sure to lay the bike on its side.

Thumbs Up

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 06:50 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

1/ A 125 Scooter is, er, just a scooter, not a 'maxi-scooter'. That term was coined when they started making them with engines larger than 350cc, and in fact in the Mod-Era 250-ish engine'd scooters were probably more common than sub 125's, thanks to Learner-Licence entitlements until 1982.

2/ You do NOT 'have' to ride up and down an old quarry.. I do that sort of thing for 'fun'.. we call it trials riding... I do it on a trials-bike, curiously... its a misnomer, I think, they should call it trials falling off... certainly in my case, but still.. you don't 'have' to do it, you dot 'have' to ride a scooter at all, TBH... and a scooter is about the last thing I would nightmare riding anywhere, let alone round a ruddy gravel-pit... though way back in the 1950's some nutters did try tackling International-Six-Day-Trials on the ruddy things! There's some interesting footage of them on u-tube somewhere!

However.. scooters are a ROAD vehicle... my trials bike has an 18" rear wheel and a 21" front, so that they can roll over uneven ground easily. Road bikes tend to have wheels in the 17/18" region, though there was a vogue for fitting 16" rims to some of them in the 80's... but they were 'too' small and did little for stability, even on a smoother surface like the average corporation-car-park.. WHY any-one thought it a good idea to fit something with wheels half that diameter or less to a motorised vehicle, then put the engine in the back, I DO NOT KNOW! (Well, I would hazard a guess that it was because the inventor of the Vespa hated motorcycles with a vengeance and wanted to carry on styling air-craft, so given the job decided to use as many 'bad' ideas as he could, in the hope they'd drop the idea ad go back to building aeroplanes.. but that is largely just speculation!!)

But, your scooter isn't a ruddy tractor or dirt bike! Its a ruddy scooter FFS!

Changing the tyres wont alter this! It's a bit like complaining that a super-market shopping trolley is a bit hard to push round a building site, trying to use it as a wheel-barrow!

YES change your tyres... and everything they are attached to... OR perhaps try a different route! One with tarmac!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:03 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow the same time tested method as used in days of yore by coaching contractors.

They employed Ostlers to look after draught animals.

The trick then was to change horses when they were too exhausted to pull the cart/coach/dray etc.

The Ostlers, stationed at strategic points along the way, would harness fresh horses to work the next section of extended routes.

The main issues were finding water and avoiding Highway Men. (The Chavs of those days.)

Many of the roads were nothing more than un-paved tracks often impassable during wet months/winter time.

It turned out that there were many photographers willing to brave those harsh arctic conditions to capture glorious photos of horse drawn coaches. Then they were used on Christmas cards in the 20th century.

Just keep tires until they are tired then change for fresh ones.

Or when they get worn to 2mm. o (TWI are 1mm but safer to replace at 2mm).
Or change to a different compound/brand if you want.

You can change tires mid-race but never change your horse mid-race. Wink

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:08 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

a sym gts is a bit of a barge

either get something lighter or find another way down the quarry

not sure arcane would even pick a gts as a scoot as they are not well known really

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:14 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
1/ A 125 Scooter is, er, just a scooter, not a 'maxi-scooter'. That term was coined when they started making them with engines larger than 350cc, and in fact in the Mod-Era 250-ish engine'd scooters were probably more common than sub 125's, thanks to Learner-Licence entitlements until 1982.

2/ You do NOT 'have' to ride up and down an old quarry.. I do that sort of thing for 'fun'.. we call it trials riding... I do it on a trials-bike, curiously... its a misnomer, I think, they should call it trials falling off... certainly in my case, but still.. you don't 'have' to do it, you dot 'have' to ride a scooter at all, TBH... and a scooter is about the last thing I would nightmare riding anywhere, let alone round a ruddy gravel-pit... though way back in the 1950's some nutters did try tackling International-Six-Day-Trials on the ruddy things! There's some interesting footage of them on u-tube somewhere!

However.. scooters are a ROAD vehicle... my trials bike has an 18" rear wheel and a 21" front, so that they can roll over uneven ground easily. Road bikes tend to have wheels in the 17/18" region, though there was a vogue for fitting 16" rims to some of them in the 80's... but they were 'too' small and did little for stability, even on a smoother surface like the average corporation-car-park.. WHY any-one thought it a good idea to fit something with wheels half that diameter or less to a motorised vehicle, then put the engine in the back, I DO NOT KNOW! (Well, I would hazard a guess that it was because the inventor of the Vespa hated motorcycles with a vengeance and wanted to carry on styling air-craft, so given the job decided to use as many 'bad' ideas as he could, in the hope they'd drop the idea ad go back to building aeroplanes.. but that is largely just speculation!!)

Changing the tyres wont alter this! It's a bit like complaining that a super-market shopping trolley is a bit hard to push round a building site, trying to use it as a wheel-barrow!

YES change your tyres... and everything they are attached to... OR perhaps try a different route! One with tarmac!

i should have been more clear,
1/ I though maxi-scooter meant a scooter like a burgman type, designed for commuting two people but i wasnt sure, its a 125CC which is much wider and longer than a normal scooter
2/ i have no choice, i do airsoft in an old quarry (essentially paintball minus the paint), its in the middle of nowhere so the only option is to ride down the bottom which is very slippery. and a push-bike isnt an option eithr as its a 40 minute ride to get there in the 1st place. my dad didnt allow me to get a 125 bike no matter how hard i tried so the scooter is my only choice.

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:17 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
We get a lot of these:
https://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/uncyclopedia/images/8/83/A_Sock_Puppet.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20090707045712

Fantasists wasting everyone's time. Therefore new members have to pass the custard test to prove they're real:
https://thumbsnap.com/s/eJdsqIcS.jpg

Very Happy

i know now, what is my quest.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:21 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You dont need to keep simplifying things in brackets, we are not stupid. And those that are, at least know how to use google.

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:20 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracer1234 wrote:
You dont need to keep simplifying things in brackets, we are not stupid. And those that are, at least know how to use google.

OK, calm down

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:54 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

adengtg wrote:
my dad didnt allow me to get a 125 bike no matter how hard i tried so the scooter is my only choice.

Your dad wants you to be gay. Neutral

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:59 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Therefore new members have to pass the custard test to prove they're real

Here's racing driver Jason Plato famously obliging over in the PistonHeads forum:

https://thumbsnap.com/s/XSpi4MIH.jpg

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:23 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

adengtg wrote:
Teflon-Mike wrote:

i should have been more clear,
1/ I though maxi-scooter meant a scooter like a burgman type, designed for commuting two people but i wasnt sure, its a 125CC which is much wider and longer than a normal scooter
2/ i have no choice, i do airsoft in an old quarry (essentially paintball minus the paint), its in the middle of nowhere so the only option is to ride down the bottom which is very slippery. and a push-bike isnt an option eithr as its a 40 minute ride to get there in the 1st place. my dad didnt allow me to get a 125 bike no matter how hard i tried so the scooter is my only choice.

sym gts is a maxi scooter as it the piaggio x9 and x8 burgmans and s-wings

yours is just a 125cc version it has nothing to do with engine size
as an ex burgman and Yamaha majesty owner I know how heavy they are and bouncing around over rough ground will fuck the suspension long before the tyres have trouble I'm also surprised you havnt knackered the lower plastics (I also used to take them off road sometimes to get to a mx track for work )

your 17 at least so tell dad to do one and buy what you want a ybr would be better over rough ground

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:29 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be on a 125 dirt style bike all day long if I were doing your commute. Why u no manual gearbox?

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:37 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

sym gts is a maxi scooter as it the piaggio x9 and x8 burgmans and s-wings

yours is just a 125cc version it has nothing to do with engine size
as an ex burgman and Yamaha majesty owner I know how heavy they are and bouncing around over rough ground will fuck the suspension long before the tyres have trouble I'm also surprised you havnt knackered the lower plastics (I also used to take them off road sometimes to get to a mx track for work )

your 17 at least so tell dad to do one and buy what you want a ybr would be better over rough ground[/quote]

Exactly, the lower plastics were fine, until i fell over on the way out and then about an hour ago i fell off going round a corner that was covered in mud, the entire edge of the plastics is now fucked and i need a new helmet

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:39 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
I'd be on a 125 dirt style bike all day long if I were doing your commute. Why u no manual gearbox?

My dad paid for it and he flat-out refused to get me a geared bike, i would have probably gone for a lexmoto assault with the knobbly tires on the back

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:44 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

adengtg wrote:
grr666 wrote:

My dad paid for it and he flat-out refused to get me a geared bike, i would have probably gone for a lexmoto assault with the knobbly tires on the back

Perhaps yer poor Da knows you better than you know yourself.

If you just want a different machine just to go faster/harder then maybe he is right.

Very Happy

We're all scheduled to die some time but it is polite to care enough to not leave a big mess for others on one's way out.

Tires are made to fit wheels that are common. And visa versa.
Special tires are made for special machines but cost a fortune.
The more popular the machine then the cheaper the tires are in General.
You choices are limited.
New tires are better than worn tires.
They start to go off even before 50% worn if you know what you expect from them and push them to those limits.
Look for a tire with a more aggressive tread pattern is all you can do.
A tire specialist is the best person to ask.
Forums are not always the best source.
I fitted tire that were raved about on a forum for particular bikes.
The tyres were great until I noticed they only lasted about 30% as long as the oem recommended tire.
The forum never mentioned that detail. Very Happy

Last edited by MCN on 17:53 - 19 Oct 2017; edited 4 times in total

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:50 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps her Da knows you better than you know yourself.

If you just want a different machine just to go faster/harder then maybe he is right.

Very Happy

We're all die some time but it is polite to care enough to not leave a big mess for others on one's way out.[/quote]
i want a proper bike because as soon as i turn 19 in a year and a month, ill be getting a much more powerful machine and will have to learn the gears while learning the theory and practical tests, i could have gotten a geared bike and been fine when i upgrade but not now Sad. i also just dont like scooters.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:56 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

adengtg wrote:
Perhaps her Da knows you better than you know yourself.

Very Happy

We're all die some time but it is polite to care enough to not leave a big mess for others on one's way out.

i want a proper bike because as soon as i turn 19 in a year and a month, ill be getting a much more powerful machine and will have to learn the gears while learning the theory and practical tests, i could have gotten a geared bike and been fine when i upgrade but not now Sad. i also just dont like scooters.[/quote]

You learn the gears in ten minutes.

You learn to ride in traffic over a lifetime.

Don't be in too much of a rush.

If you die young you miss a lot of the fun.

You know what it's like if you fall of and can't finish a race? Very Happy

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:06 - 19 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

adengtg wrote:

2/ i have no choice, i do airsoft in an old quarry (essentially paintball minus the paint), its in the middle of nowhere so the only option is to ride down the bottom which is very slippery..

Spastic.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 162 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2