Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Contact lenses - Wow!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:44 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Contact lenses - Wow! Reply with quote

I'm a glasses wearer, I've been wearing glasses since the age of 12. I've been wearing them so long now I don't really look like 'me' without them, so I've never been bothered about trying lenses.

Then, a couple of months ago, riding from Cologne to Amsterdam in non stop torrential rain, for hours, with the glasses steaming up every time we slowed to filter, and then getting rain on them when I had to lift the visor to clear the steam, and then having to stop to get the damn rain off the lenses that's come through the open visor because I can now see sweet fuck all, I decided there must be a better way.

So, finally pulled my finger out, got some lenses sorted, and this morning was my first ever ride without specs.

What a difference!! Not having to hold my breath at traffic lights to stop the glasses steaming up makes a very pleasant change, and being able to tuck into the bike without having to keep my head slightly lifted so I can see through the specs, rather than looking over the top of them if superb.

That combined with a much clearer field of vision without the frames in the way, I have no idea why I didn't try this years ago.

I realise that I'm probably the last person in the universe to arrive at this particular party, but, if there are any bespectacled riders out there who haven't given lenses a go, do it. It's a revelation!

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:09 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will also be able to open the dishwasher without fogging over. BUT.... you will also know when someone is smoking in the house across the road and when there is grit flying about on a windy day!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:12 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now go and buy yourself some cool shades. Cool

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:14 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I eye could wear contacts instead of glasses then it would be the no brainer of the century for me to get them.

Not all eye issues can be corrected with contacts.

For that poroblem there is an option to use only one contact.

'Monovision'

https://coopervision.co.uk/about-contacts/monovision-contact-lenses

After some time the brain will correct the anomaly of one eye corrected and one not corrected to appear comparibly normal.

It will not be 100% Crystal but if you don't do close work it is an option. They say.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:22 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have contacts, but got fed up with them drying out on the bike so went back to glasses. This was 20 years ago though, so it might be worth having another bash.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

2Hondas
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:12 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Shaggy, I've had problems with them reaching a critical point of dryness, usually at a really inconvenient point.

The last time it happened I was on the M25 and my dry eyes suddenly turned into painful, incredibly watery eyes. Luckily the traffic was slow so I managed to get off the road with relative ease to sort it out.

They're fine, as long as you learn to recognise when they're going to crap out. Remember to take a spare pair of specs with you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Cadbury
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:14 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although my distance prescription is pretty minor, I've got such a high level of astigmatism that I cannot realistically get contacts. The daily throwaway ones don't go any where near high enough to cover my prescription, and the custom made monthly lenses are prohibitively expensive sadly.
Would like to give them a go one day though.

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:33 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cadbury wrote:
Although my distance prescription is pretty minor, I've got such a high level of astigmatism that I cannot realistically get contacts. The daily throwaway ones don't go any where near high enough to cover my prescription, and the custom made monthly lenses are prohibitively expensive sadly.

I have astigmatism too, I'm right on the borderline of what I can get away with for a disposable lens, although, according to the optician, just a few years ago I wouldn't have been able to get a daily lens, so I guess progress is being made.

I'm off to Spain in a week or so, for a weeks trail riding, it's going to be a total bonus to:

A) Be able to wear goggles without it resulting in instant glasses fogging

and

B) Be able to buy as many pairs of cheap 'don't care if I break or lose them' sunglasses as I can get my hands on! Laughing

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:39 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very handy in the winter to not wear spectacles. I don't have any issues with my eyes drying out, only when I've had them in too long. I also have no trouble with smoking in them, and also you can chop onions without crying.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:58 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cadbury wrote:

You'd be surprised. They weren't massively expensive - Boots do a free trial and fitting anyway so it's worth a go.

Unfortunately didn't work for me; eyes were too dry and then they moved around a bit, and blur baby blur.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:40 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried contacts, can't get on with them.

Bought a pinlock compatible visor instead.

Cadbury
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:45 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
You'd be surprised. They weren't massively expensive - Boots do a free trial and fitting anyway so it's worth a go.

For regular, 'easy' prescription folk, then I agree, lenses can be dead cheap.

They get closer every year, but pretty much the only ones that are suitable for me would have to be custom made:
https://www.lenstore.co.uk/cooper-vision/toric-lenses/proclear-tailor-made-toric_p85

They are £83 per lens and they only last 3 months. Add in cleaning solution and other assorted accoutrements and I'd be closing in on £750 a year for contacts. As it is my glasses are around £500 every 12-18 months, and i'd want them too.
Also, my astigmatism means that the lenses have to be 'weighted' so they keep alignment correctly. Sadly, as you'd experienced, that means every time you blink (and the lenses shift) you get a second or 2 of blurry vision before they settle. Sick
I'd spend the money if i knew they'd be good, but even my opticians don't really recommend them to me. Sad

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:53 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cadbury wrote:
the lenses have to be 'weighted' so they keep alignment correctly. Sadly, that means every time you blink (and the lenses shift) you get a second or 2 of blurry vision before they settle.

My lenses are also weighted for my astigmatism, but I don't get any issues when blinking.

If I rub my eyes, I do get the blurry vision for a second or two, but that seems to be the only time.

Cadbury
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:21 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeypony wrote:
My lenses are also weighted for my astigmatism, but I don't get any issues when blinking.
If I rub my eyes, I do get the blurry vision for a second or two, but that seems to be the only time.

Out of interest, whats your CYL on the prescription? I'm rocking a +3.75 in one eye and a +4.75 in the other. Astigmatism over 4 diopters is classed as 'extreme'... Sad

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:23 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cadbury wrote:

For regular, 'easy' prescription folk, then I agree, lenses can be dead cheap.

They get closer every year, but pretty much the only ones that are suitable for me would have to be custom made:
https://www.lenstore.co.uk/cooper-vision/toric-lenses/proclear-tailor-made-toric_p85

They are £83 per lens and they only last 3 months. Add in cleaning solution and other assorted accoutrements and I'd be closing in on £750 a year for contacts. As it is my glasses are around £500 every 12-18 months, and i'd want them too.
Also, my astigmatism means that the lenses have to be 'weighted' so they keep alignment correctly. Sadly, as you'd experienced, that means every time you blink (and the lenses shift) you get a second or 2 of blurry vision before they settle. Sick
I'd spend the money if i knew they'd be good, but even my opticians don't really recommend them to me. Sad

My astigmatism is BARE MAD BRAH - Boots still fitted me up; albeit on my left eye (which is as good as useless) the prescription wasn't as strong as it should be, and it would have been expensive to do any more than that.

In the end we tried about 3 different brands but my eyes were just too dry and things were almost constantly blurry. No good Sad but still, it was worth the try.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:29 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

2Hondas wrote:
Like Shaggy, I've had problems with them reaching a critical point of dryness, usually at a really inconvenient point.

The last time it happened I was on the M25 and my dry eyes suddenly turned into painful, incredibly watery eyes. Luckily the traffic was slow so I managed to get off the road with relative ease to sort it out.

They're fine, as long as you learn to recognise when they're going to crap out. Remember to take a spare pair of specs with you.

I do remember driving down to Kent from Edinburgh with a mate and having to physically take the wheel from the pasenger seat because his eyes suddenly went to the point he couldn't see.

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:30 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cadbury wrote:

Out of interest, whats your CYL on the prescription? I'm rocking a +3.75 in one eye and a +4.75 in the other. Astigmatism over 4 diopters is classed as 'extreme'... Sad

No idea! I'll check the packaging later and let you know.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:40 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cadbury wrote:
I'm rocking a +3.75 in one eye and a +4.75 in the other.

Lucky fuck Sad

I cannot go away from glasses, I look a dick without them too... so bonus really.

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:11 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got contacts for Skiing years ago after wearing glasses for one trip and constantly having troubles with them fogging up. After returning and wearing on the bike during the winter I now wear them every day.

The only time I miss them is if its hot and I want to open my visor on the motorway, but now I pretty much always wear my shades now if its hot. I have two pairs both polarised, one set thats really dark and one set that are very reflective but a lighter tint. With my old reactive tint glasses they would not work under a visor so I had a choice of being blinded by the sun or riding with the visor up.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:40 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be lost without my contact lenses.

- Always carry glasses with you just encase you, for whatever reason, encounter irritability in the eye throughout the day (more so if you're commuting).

- Put them in first thing in the morning or wash your hands thoroughly before you put them in.

- If you use any creams (face, hands etc.) put the lenses in before (also look out for any reaction -- red eyelids etc.)

- Take them out before you set about locking your bike up handling oily chains etc.

- Daily's > monthlies.

Some days my eyes are all like, "Nope, not today," never can put my finger on one cause.

Any eye infections I found optrex infected eye drops (boots chemist over the counter) on a five day course (you can't wear lenses throughout this point) did the job of getting rid of infection.

Certain shops, apparently, have troublesome environments for lenses wears: M&S and Boots, so says the guy I spoke to last (based on complaints he gets the most).

On the subject of dry eyes, as happens to me from time to time, you can get drops -- better to ask your opticians.

Can get lenses on the internet once you've got your prescription: I prefer opticians simply because of the health checks.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:11 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a brain wave a wee while ago which was to stick a lens inside my visor on one side diver who wear glasses use these sticker on the inside of their mask. They are available in different prescriptions.

https://www.amazon.com/MAGNI-VIEW-Magnifying-Scuba-Divers-Sports/dp/B002KAQKOS/ref=pd_sbs_468_5?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B002KAQKOS&pd_rd_r=1P76WAPJ31BSZ6VB78GZ&pd_rd_w=Hbgb2&pd_rd_wg=BWmDo&psc=1&refRID=1P76WAPJ31BSZ6VB78GZ

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:57 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fairly sure if I had to touch my own eyeball I'd faint. Pale

Vracktal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:28 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to try contacts, but my prescription is -8 and -6.25 respectively so no chance :c

Cadbury
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:49 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vracktal wrote:
I'd love to try contacts, but my prescription is -8 and -6.25 respectively so no chance :c

As that's just your base power, then should be fine to get contacts for. I think they go up past 12 diopters for the daily disposable ones. Thumbs Up
Contacts only become difficult when you have complicated prescriptions involving astigmatism, if your prescription is just to correct regular distance issues then I think you should be good.
Also, your contact prescription is different to your glasses prescription as the lenses are closer to your eye. So your contacts prescription is actually written as less.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:08 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have -6.00 and -5.50. Contact eye lenses were in my life for the past 10 years. The best invention ever (#thelandofbeerrulesgooglethatup). No fogging up, near perfect vision and I get 1:1 image. For some reason, every glasses I use distort the image slightly, make things look smaller. A 10mm nut would seem like a 8mm when I wear glasses. I asked my ophthalmologist and he said, unless I want a surgery, nothing can be done. Plus, there's the limited peripheral vision with every glasses.

That is why I never drive/ride with glasses. I don't feel safe wearing them.

The surgery is an option, but my sight isn't that big of a limitation to my way of life, so I'm gonna give it a pass, for now at least.

Last edited by RhynoCZ on 23:11 - 20 Oct 2017; edited 1 time in total
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 188 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2