Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:10 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cadbury wrote:
Vracktal wrote:
I'd love to try contacts, but my prescription is -8 and -6.25 respectively so no chance :c

As that's just your base power, then should be fine to get contacts for. I think they go up past 12 diopters for the daily disposable ones. Thumbs Up
Contacts only become difficult when you have complicated prescriptions involving astigmatism, if your prescription is just to correct regular distance issues then I think you should be good.
Also, your contact prescription is different to your glasses prescription as the lenses are closer to your eye. So your contacts prescription is actually written as less.

Yes, -12.00 to +6.00 is standard. Thumbs Up

Astigmatism may also be solved with contact lenses as well, to a certain extent. But, I must warn you, it's not cheap. We're talking up to 8-10 times more expensive than a standard set of 6 ''continual use'' lenses.

Vracktal wrote:
I'd love to try contacts, but my prescription is -8 and -6.25 respectively so no chance :c

Go ahead and try it. It's something that'll change your life, no exaggeration. The first time I tried a pair on, I was at -4.00 and the moment I forced them in my eyes (it takes a few tries for some people), I was blown away, like going from 480p to 4K. The amount of detail and colour I could see, with no distortion, with perfect peripheral vision. I remember my firsts well, the first kiss, first sexual experience, first time getting drunk and this. It's just something worth trying in your life, if you need a sight correction device, of course.

Vracktal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:19 - 21 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? Last time I looked (admittedly several years ago) I was told they couldn't do contacts beyond -6!

Rated helpful, will look into Specsavers later today Very Happy

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:22 - 21 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried contacts a couple of years ago. Initial fitting by the optician went well but could I put them in?
Could I f...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave....
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:46 - 21 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used them for about 6 months and were good for the obvious of not wearing glasses but found my vision was poor when driving through rain in the dark.

stonesie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:01 - 21 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the 1 day disposable lenses and quickly gave up on them, they occasionally fell out while riding which was annoying. Fortunately my vision is still passable without them or glasses.

What killed them for me was on a spirited ride one came loose and didn't fall out, it went behind my left eye and felt like hell, It hadn't gone all the way round because it had creased up and jammed itself next to my eyeball so on the + side I managed to remove it, on the - side it hurt like a bastard.

It's partly why I like the look of those VOZZ helmets, no fucking about with specs.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:40 - 21 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stonesie wrote:
..., they occasionally fell out while riding...

What killed them for me was on a spirited ride one came loose and didn't fall out, it went behind my left eye and felt like hell, It hadn't gone all the way round because it had creased up and jammed itself next to my eyeball so on the + side I managed to remove it, on the - side it hurt like a bastard.

How? Confused

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:58 - 21 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
How? Confused

+1

stonesie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:06 - 21 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fingernail and the bike mirror, not the most hygienic or painless method but I wanted it out of there NOW! When I saw the edge poking out, it was coming out, no question.

If you were asking how it came loose, probably wind blast through my helmet dried it out a bit too much. The GT-Air is known for high air flow through it.

Roidrage
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:13 - 22 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much blind last winter with my glasses fogged up at every lights I came to when riding uni. I use dailies at the weekend but too cheap put them in everyday, they also it hurt my eyes when reading close up so I stick with glasses. I want to get my eyes lazered at some point but ain't got the money spare now.

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:47 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vracktal wrote:

Bollocks, mine are -6.50 and -7.50 right now, and I was -8.0 a few years back. I've worn contacts for 30 years.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 158 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2