Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Am I being scammed in someway...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:40 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Am I being scammed in someway... Reply with quote

There is a fridge on ebay, 12v one for £85. There is a BIN option and the only payment option is Paypal. It's collection only so I messaged the seller via ebay saying I would buy the fridge for £85 and could he give me his phone number and an address and I'd phone him to make arrangements for collection and payment.

He got back to me with a phone number and no address. When I tried to phone him I got the phone number unavailable message, tried from both my mobile and landline.

I messaged him again saying I couldn't get through and gave him my number.

Just got a message from him saying

Hi John, Think the best way forward is to buy by paypal, hadn't realised Ebay had changed their format .Thanks Robert
Couldn't phone you either on your number

My phone is working, just tried it.

The advert seems OK, no Nigerian princes involved. It's here.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHORELINE-12-24-volt-LARDER-FRIDGE-RR-501-for-BOAT-MOTORHOME-ETC/302494138793

Am I reading too much into nothing and can I be scammed if I BIN with Paypal?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:10 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's even said "Cash on collection only." Eh?

I'd just ignore the jabber about PayPal and keep asking for an address and working number until one of you gets bored or ragequits.

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:17 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

He could just be a knobber who worries more about fake cash than he does about paypal fees. However, life's too short to be mucked around over a fridge. Plenty more fridges in the sea.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:37 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baffler186 wrote:
He could just be a knobber who worries more about fake cash than he does about paypal fees. However, life's too short to be mucked around over a fridge. Plenty more fridges in the sea.

Not 12v ones for £85. Those things go for £600+ new. Ah, I can't see how I can lose out paying with paypal.

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:32 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

you cant unless you send the payment as a "gift"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:40 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Had same and got an email 2 weeks later saying sale cancelled.

Chalky.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:44 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebay have become very hot on giving out mobile numbers and email addresses via messages to prevent sales taking place outside their site - I've heard of some major sellers getting suspended.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:51 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't comment on the phones apparently not working but apart from that I can't see any problem from your perspective.

I do know that ebay now try to push you pretty hard towards only accepting PayPal and not cash for any goods, and IIRC I think they may have even removed "Cash on Collection" as a payment option?

Personally if I was selling, I wouldn't dream of allowing PayPal for an item which is collected in person, because there's nothing to stop the buyer filing an 'item not received' after having waltzed off into the sunset with said item, and because the seller cannot provide instant online proof of delivery (ie tracking details), PayPal will side with the fraudulent buyer and simply will refund the payment. PayPal's T&Cs specifically exclude 'collection in person' from their seller protection policy; so it's particularly nefarious of ebay to almost insist on sellers using PayPal under such circumstances. But since 'collection in person' items tend to be large and expensive (like vehicles), it's not hard to see why they don't want to lose all that juicy commission.

As a buyer, I can't see how you'd lose by paying by PayPal; worst case scenario is that you end up not getting the item or it's faulty (in which case you'd be in a much better position than if you'd paid cash).

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:54 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

With paypal if you do get scammed you setup a dispute. They have 21 or 25 days I forget which days to respond to the dispute. So worst that happens is your £60 or whatever gets locked away for a month.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:45 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I can't see how I can get shafted (famous last words) and will go ahead with paypal.

On the subject of phone numbers, Chalky says they have become hot on giving out phone numbers and emails via ebay messaging. Is it feasible to think they are purposely altering the numbers? Is it possible?

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:08 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
OK, I can't see how I can get shafted (famous last words) and will go ahead with paypal.

On the subject of phone numbers, Chalky says they have become hot on giving out phone numbers and emails via ebay messaging. Is it feasible to think they are purposely altering the numbers? Is it possible?

Take a photo of a piece of paper with the phone number on, attach it to the message and send. Or ask seller to do it.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:36 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I payed by Paypal, messaged the seller with the same number I sent before and he just phoned me. He said that it wasn't the number he got in the other email and then told me the number he sent me, different!!

So ebay do fuck the numbers up. Nice to know.

Moo.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:49 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

eBay also auto detects if you put a number or email in messages and blocks it, or auto reports you if you attempt it too many times. Really friggin annoying when selling cash on collection, or someone wants to come and see..

Bozzy.
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:02 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I payed by Paypal, messaged the seller with the same number I sent before and he just phoned me. He said that it wasn't the number he got in the other email and then told me the number he sent me, different!!

So ebay do fuck the numbers up. Nice to know.

Rated as informative Thumbs Up

Chalky.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:49 - 21 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think they'd go that far with it... interesting

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:54 - 21 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't - they block any message with a number or an email in it or just zero / ***** it out.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:33 - 21 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
They don't - they block any message with a number or an email in it or just zero / ***** it out.

No, 1 number was changed in the phone number he sent me. Nothing else in the message was changed or blocked.

Message I got - Thanks, phone 07769 050511 for viewing

Actual number which I recieved from him AFTER I had paid by Paypal -
Evening John 07769 250511.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:00 - 21 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
UncleBFester wrote:

No, 1 number was changed in the phone number he sent me. Nothing else in the message was changed or blocked.

Typo?

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:42 - 21 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye from multiple experiences of this, they just don't allow any mobile number to be sent.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:31 - 21 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Typo?

No, Mine was changed as well.

I never asked him if he sent his address which I asked for in the first message. I will have a chat with him when I pick up the fridge tomorrow and find out exactly what was changed from his end.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:47 - 21 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd. As per the others, I've seen it where the message is blocked from sending if it contains something that looks like it could be used to arrange sales away from eBay, such as phone numbers.

Hence photo of piece of paper w/ number on.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:07 - 21 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
Aye from multiple experiences of this, they just don't allow any mobile number to be sent.

Have been looking on the ebay forums and this is a new thing that they've recently introduced. They are policing it quite heavily and apparently dishing out 7-day suspensions like confetti. People are also saying that phone numbers are replaced by white spaces. Can't find anyone else saying that numbers are being munged like the OP says though. I have to say I'm really struggling to believe that even ebay would deliberately do something so bizarre (ie, as opposed to changing it to an obvious non-phone-number like "00000000000") because the number they'd be changing it to quite likely belongs to some random third party; and that just can't be right. There surely must be something else going on in the OP's case.

Take a photo of a piece of paper with the phone number on, attach it to the message and send.

An even easier workround is https://www.text2image.com (but stand by for ebay imminently banning file attachments to messages Rolling Eyes )

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:19 - 21 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moo. wrote:
eBay also auto detects if you put a number or email in messages and blocks it, or auto reports you if you attempt it too many times. Really friggin annoying when selling cash on collection, or someone wants to come and see..

I think I've had to put spaces in to get a number or email through, but I don't recall it being a massive problem.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:50 - 21 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type it then.

One four one, nine nine nine.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:59 - 21 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type it then.

One four one, nine nine nine.

Yes, might well do that. Another trick when exchanging e.mails was to put at in place of @ but I expect it depends what they use to recognise an email.

I suppose it is possible both he and I did a typo with both our phone numbers but it seems a bit unlikely.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 160 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2