Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Electric motor

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

vanderbale
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:43 - 20 Oct 2017    Post subject: Electric motor Reply with quote

Just watched this episode of Fully Charged and thought it might be of interest to some.

https://youtu.be/4k5TDZ6irG4?t=6m54s

Petrolheads note I'm not advocating for electric motorbikes, just interested to see what the industry is up to.

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 00:44 - 21 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I could I'd have a Tesla. If I could replace the engine in my current car or bike with an electric one for a small cost and good range I would.
My problem with electric will be with live Motorsports. The people around Brands Hatch will them have to complain about something else apart from the noise.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:13 - 21 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going wrote:
My problem with electric will be with live Motorsports. The people around Brands Hatch will them have to complain about something else apart from the noise.

Residents got the Battersea Park Formula e race stopped. I don't understand people who move next to a race track or airport and then complain about noise, move somewhere else Eh?

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 02:38 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched some Formula E on the tube. It reminds me of Multiplayer racing games. Brakes, nah, the car in front will slow me down Smile

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:10 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I don't understand people who move next to a race track or airport and then complain about noise, move somewhere else Eh?

Buy cheap, bawww, value skyrockets.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:45 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going wrote:
Brakes, nah, the car in front will slow me down Smile

BTCC attitude to driving standards Smile

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:31 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch some of the Zero TT....
Might change your mind on Leccy bikes!
Not that there will be anything suitable or even remotely affordable for years to come :-\
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:56 - 29 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my main concerns is being silent, fortunately Nissan have thought of that: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p4cjPk8mqEM

vanderbale
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:04 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMF did a review of the Zero DSR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwAkW6OQXuI

The standard 2017 DSR model without fast charge addon takes 10 hours to charge on a standard plug and can do upto 163 miles city driving / 78 miles motorway.

70 hp, 116 ft-lb torque, 190kg. Costs around £14,500 depending on options.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:48 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm lolling quite hard at the Learner Legal "11kW" version producing 59hp and 80 foot-torques Exclamation

That's taking the piss with an industrial milking machine.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:03 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanderbale wrote:

The standard 2017 DSR model without fast charge addon takes 10 hours to charge on a standard plug and can do upto 163 miles city driving / 78 miles motorway.

to be fair, I've yet to find a really bad review of a Zero, plenty who spout off, about had bad electric bikes are, without ever having ridden 1 etc. If they can eek just that little more range out for next year's model, I might well be in the market for 1, or, even if where I work put in EV charging points ..

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:04 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I'm lolling quite hard at the Learner Legal "11kW" version producing 59hp and 80 foot-torques Exclamation

That's taking the piss with an industrial milking machine.

Nothing wrong with that, sticks to the rules Smile Might be tempted to get 1 for my daughter once she's 17, or, if not that, possibly an Evoke ..

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:56 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do wants a Zero TT bike Laughing

Only does 60km at an average of 120mph though Rolling Eyes

https://s1.paultan.org/image/2017/03/mugen-shinden-roku-2017-tt-zero-motorcycle-4.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:10 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Might be tempted to get 1 for my daughter once she's 17

[Roger's eye twitches slightly. He takes his hands slowwwwly from the keyboard.]

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:31 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

Nothing wrong with that, sticks to the rules Smile Might be tempted to get 1 for my daughter once she's 17, or, if not that, possibly an Evoke ..

I should have said, providing she want an electric bike !!

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:10 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanderbale wrote:
can do up to 78 miles motorway.
Not much less than a Hornet then. Even if a decent electric bike only did 50 miles to a charge, it would still allow most people to charge from a plug in the garage if they plug in as soon as they get home. The range doesn't put me off one bit.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:11 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baffler186 wrote:
vanderbale wrote:
can do up to 78 miles motorway.
Not much less than a Hornet then. Even if a decent electric bike only did 50 miles to a charge, it would still allow most people to charge from a plug in the garage if they plug in as soon as they get home. The range doesn't put me off one bit.

Does a bit for me, in that my round trip to work in 120 miles, so, doesn't leave much room for contingencies.

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:26 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be serious for a moment, I live 16 miles from work and traffic can make that trip horrid in a car. I have a 99 R1 that get's me through the traffic with ease but not something that enjoyable to plod about on.

50 miles would be more than enough range for me to get to work and back and I would seriously consider it if the prices weren't so ridiculously high?

£18,000 for a higher performance leccy bike but is there anything available out there (leccy scoot?) that doesn't cost as much as a brand new car?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:43 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are various odds and sods of joke spec disposable trinkets offered now and again.

Some of the least non-credible at the moment are:

https://vmoto-uk.com/v120l/

https://supersoco.co.uk/

Posterity, don't karma judge me if those links go the way of most e-trinket offerings.

Again though, Yamaha are already on the second generation of vapourware with their long, long, long promised PED / PES affordable e-bikes. They haven't yet figured out a way to make e-trinkets economically for the mass market, despite all the magical thinking about lithium technology somehow getting cheaper as demand for limited resources rises.

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:00 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh.
Got all excited until I saw the speed ratings... 45mph is not fast enough for at least half my commute without making me a target for cage ragers and lorries on a single cartridge way Shocked

May as well get a few old laptop batteries and whack a motor on my pedal bike and take the scenic route through the countryside Rolling Eyes...

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:13 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatefreak wrote:
May as well get a few old laptop batteries and whack a motor on my pedal bike and take the scenic route through the countryside Rolling Eyes...

G thread.

But yes, I agree. Effectively immunity from laws, park where you like, what's not to like?

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:19 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its frustrating because as shown above, leccy can be exciting, but I guess circumstances as much as anything (new tech, lack of production/infrastructure, no older second hand bikes going cheaper etc) mean its going to be expensive for a while yet...

I would 100% be interested in the above bike if it wasn't more than half the average national income?! Sad

Could be interesting to hack apart an older sports bike and try hash together something for the track? Wonder what MSV would think about bringing a leccy bike to a track day?

Last edited by skatefreak on 21:16 - 11 Jan 2018; edited 1 time in total

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:55 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are other cheaper Zero's that will easily cover your range ..

https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/eu/zero-s

Take off the Government subsidy, ~£1500 from the above price

Or..

There will be the Evoke hopefully for sale mid to late spring ..

https://evokemotorcycles.co.uk/#Technical

Still a fairly useable range, and I think the price, after subsidy will be around £7000-£8000 ?

Unless I've read that wrong ..

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:58 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanderbale wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwAkW6OQXuI

It does look like genuinely good fun, but I spy a few cheap off the shelf bits (such as the MT-03 style headlight). Also 5 year warranty on the battery pack, so how much is a replacement after that, I thought 5 years was the expected life?

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:13 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

£8,000 is just shy of what I recently paid for an immaculate 24 month old nissan juke with 11,000 miles on the clock, bells and whistles, returning 60 mpg (Usually drive in eco mode admittedly, bikes are for fun, not cars...).

I struggle to equate that with a little 'practical' leccy bike?

Heck I paid £1.8k for an immaculate 99 R1 that I struggle to 'fully utilise' (being sensible and all that). I wonder how many miles it would take for the £8,000 or £14,000 electric bike to make up the difference in petrol costs (if the batteries survive that long?).

I appreciate I'm not comparing like for like (new for new) but when that's whats available on the market, you've got to have a pretty serious cash surplus situation to pay that many times over for the 'save the planet' option.

Who knows. Maybe in a few decades you will be able to pick up a 10-15 year old E-SuperSport bike and chuck in some cheap chinese battery packs and get the miles of smiles on a budget as I did with the Yammie, but for now it's just crap value for money over the alternatives available (maybe why the government has pledged to take the alternatives away in the near future?) Confused
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 77 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4