Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

MAG "VOWS TO SHUT DOWN CENTRAL LONDON"

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:08 - 19 Apr 2018    Post subject: MAG "VOWS TO SHUT DOWN CENTRAL LONDON" Reply with quote

Their words, not mine. A proper vow. SHOUTED, too. This Saturday 21st April 2018 - best put it in your diaries, it could bring the whole South East grinding to a halt...

Perhaps they could ask the No To Bike Parking Tax mob how that worked out for them? Whistle

Or We Ride London who have been rage riding for months (and they have Charlie McEwan) without any results.

Well, without further comment, let the comically futile impotent threats begin.

News from the Motorcycle Action Group (MAG) wrote:

CAMPAIGNERS VOW TO SHUT DOWN CENTRAL LONDON IN FIGHT AGAINST POLLUTION AND ROAD DEATHS

This version: 2018 04 19 Embargo: IMMEDIATE

London’s motorcycling community is protesting against City Hall’s lack of action in respect to rising motorcyclist deaths and against the unfair Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) tax which looks set to make pollution worse.

Led by the Motorcycle Action Group (MAG), London’s riders will hold a city-wide day of action this Saturday 21 April to protest against the Mayor’s policies, which are contributing to the mounting deaths of Londoners who ride motorcycles and scooters.

Thousands of motorcyclists will descend on Westminster and then rally near the Mayor’s Office, where they will be addressed by supporters, including Peter Ramsbottom (Labour) and Keith Prince AM (Conservative). Liberal Democrats declined the invitation to send a speaker. Mayor Sadiq Khan also turned down the invitation.

Tim Fawthrop, MAG’s London Regional Representative, said: “For the last two years we have been trying to get the Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, to uphold his pre-election promises and meet with us but he will not engage in meaningful dialogue”.

Mother and London motorcyclist, Megan Anderson, said: “As a trainee teacher and mother, money and time are tight. I use a motorbike to commute because it’s cheap and quick. Using public transport is cost-prohibitive and takes too long. I wouldn’t be able to get home in time to pick my daughter up from nursery or be able to afford to send her in the first place! A motorcycle is the perfect solution that means I get to spend more time with my family, whilst also dedicating the time and attention needed in order to learn to teach.”

A recent study has shown that the congestion charge has worsened the pollution problem by forcing Londoners from cleaner personal transport onto heavily-polluting diesel black cabs. Sadiq Khan’s ULEZ plans look set to do the same thing, since he is planning to charge virtually zero pollution motorcycles whilst exempting diesel-guzzling black cabs.

London Assembly Member, Keith Prince, a keen motorcyclist who plans to attend the protest, said: "I just don't understand what Mayor Khan has against motorcyclists. His Deputy, before taking office, said in her report that Powered Two Wheelers were part of the solution to congestion! Now City Hall seems to have declared war on motorbikes and scooters. We know that many key workers are reliant on their bikes yet Mayor Khan wants to tax them off the road! I just don't get it - it's madness!”

Mr Prince added: “It could also expose the Mayor and TfL to the possibility of legal action on the basis of discrimination, as he’s disadvantaging the least wealthy in London’s workforce on the basis of an illogical and punitive charge on small motorcycles”.

ENDS

T: 07974 729509 E: tfawthrop@mag-uk.org Twitter: https://twitter.com/london_mag_

START/MEET UP POINTS link: https://wiki.mag-uk.org/images/d/da/Motorcycle_Matters_Start_points.pdf

RIDE BRIEF link: https://wiki.mag-uk.org/images/5/57/Motorcycle_Matters_Ride_Brief_19_04_2018.pdf

NOTES FOR EDITORS

The Motorcycle Action Group (MAG) is the UK’s leading riders’ rights organisation.

Formed in 1973 in response to legislation to make the wearing of crash helmets mandatory (despite nearly 90% voluntary use) the organisation has worked tirelessly ever since to promote motorcycling positively.

Whilst maintaining political neutrality, MAG engages robustly with the political process to ensure that motorcycling is fairly represented and to ensure that any motorcycle-related legislation is well-informed and proportional.

MAG works closely with politicians cross-parliament, organisations such as Department for Transport (DfT) and Transport for London (TfL), and with authorities at all levels to provide information and support to ensure that motorcycling gets a fair deal.

The organisation is volunteer-led with many members actively involved at local and regional levels, supported by the Director of Communications & Public Affairs and the Director of Campaigns & Political Engagement on nationally-led campaigns.

MAG has been successfully campaigning for over 40 years under a strapline of “freedom of choice”. It believes in a libertarian approach, with individuals being responsible for their own actions and making their own, informed choices.

For more, in-depth, information about the organisation, please contact MAG Central Office:

Unit C13, Holly Farm Business Park, Honiley, Kenilworth, Warwickshire, CV8 1NP

Telephone: 01926 844064
*** ENDS ***

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:21 - 19 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone else see the irony in riding loads of bikes into the Crapitol to campaign against pollution Shocked

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:13 - 19 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the poorest motorcyclists should do is; get on their bikes and ride them to a more northern town and obtain jobs there. That way, they won't have to spend stupid amounts of money to commute on their motorcycles to work nor spend ridonculous amounts on rent. Then surely, the city will feel the impact when its workers are ex-workers.

If it's that bad, and policies that damning, vote with your feet and move out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:32 - 19 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Saturday? Sorry, will be busy having a sunny bimble to the New Forest.

You'll have to pay me to get me to venture inside the M25.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:57 - 19 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, on the day I plan on heading into London too. I'm sure it's going to be chaos! Rolling Eyes

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:26 - 19 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's 100's I'd be surprised. If its rainy, no one will attend. If it's sunny people will go for a ride in places that aren't full
of acid throwing stabbers ie outside the M25. It will be a massive flop like anything MAG get involved with tbh.
I'll never forget Lembit Opik sat on a stool, alone at the MAG stand at the NEC looking at passers by with his very
best 'please talk to me" face on and being completely blanked by a captive audience of motorcyclists and motorcyclist
sympathisers. I suspect if he'd had a sign up saying I'll buy your lunch if you talk to me" he'd have still been sat there with
his wonky ass face waiting for the ground to swallow him up.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:44 - 19 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor guy. I'd have spoken to him, I'd love to know if he had both the Cheeky Girls

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:51 - 19 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^
Torn between funny and insightful.

Thing is, even if they get fousand and fousands, it won't mean a damn thing. London seems to be brought to a halt by one bunch of revolting demand-monkeys or another on a weekly basis. Nobody in power is bothered, nothing ever changes because of it.

If they want to effect change, there are two ways:

1) Bribe the current or next mayor, like the black cabbies did, and Uber neglected to. I'm sure that's been remedied one way or another and that their "appeal" will succeed.

2) Launch a legal challenge on some discrimination point like Poors being disadvantaged. The NTBPT lot tried that over bike parking charges and lost, big time. Their Lordships were having none of it, actually saying that even if what Westminster was doing wasn't strictly legal that they were jolly well going to allow it anyway, so there.

No, I don't have a solution to offer, or at least not a legal one (#BakLayf have already solved it).

But repeating failed tactics over and over is insanely Quixotic. I'm assuming that this is really just another MAG fundraiser / recruitment drive rather than a serious attempt to achieve anything.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:56 - 19 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
acid throwing stabbers

Up-voted for this phrase alone.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:19 - 19 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only sensible option is to now try avoiding the tax, be it by buying a newer bike or avoiding the cameras one way or another..

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:24 - 19 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, what with that and the brand new MOT rules and fault classifications they should get every 20year old+ vehicle into
the crusher before 2020. Which is of course the plan. Whilst simultaneously adding extra taxes on buying brand new.
They play the 5 card hand time and time again.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:36 - 19 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's this "Embargo: IMMEDIATE" shit on every press release?
Don't tell anyone yet: DO.
It's a press release!

Up themselves?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:14 - 19 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm, it reminds me of a bunch of kids playing doctor (steady) shouting "STAT!" without any idea what it actually means.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 22:13 - 19 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, they can fuck off.

Apart from it being a pointless protest, it's the bollocks about the ULEZ that puts me off.

The air in London is dirty. It feels like it has got worse over the last few years, particularly further out of the center. I'm quite happy with having to own a bike which is either newer than 2007, or older that 1980. In fact, I have both.

The cab comparisons are simplistic. Current taxis are diesel, and some are pretty old and dirty. Oldest ones I'm seeing around at the moment at from 2003, so that's a well-worn diesel engine. However, the mean age looks to be around 5 years old. The new London taxi that came out earlier this year is a petrol hybrid. So in a few years diesel taxis will be fairly rare.

I don't see what this protect hopes to achieve. Exempting bikes from the ULEZ isn't going to happen. Asking to apply a lower emissions standard isn't going to happen - Euro 3 was when catalytic converters came along for big bikes, so anything less than that is pointless.

They would be better off asking for better bike security at parking bays to protect the shiny new bikes they're moaning about buying.

Anyway, I'm just waiting for the mandatory Euro 4 for bikes, so I have an excuse to go and buy something with a Milwaukee eight.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:16 - 19 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: MAG "VOWS TO SHUT DOWN CENTRAL LONDON" Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Their words, not mine. A proper vow. SHOUTED, too. This Saturday 21st April 2018 - best put it in your diaries, it could bring the whole South East grinding to a halt

What? The same weekend that the London marathon is basically shutting down the whole of london?

Will anyone notice?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:43 - 19 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: MAG "VOWS TO SHUT DOWN CENTRAL LONDON" Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
What? The same weekend that the London marathon is basically shutting down the whole of london

Wut? I had no idea.

Apparently MAG didn't either.

They couldn't organise a cock up in a rocket full of roosters.

Roger for President of MAG.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:46 - 19 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beat me to it, roads are closed anyway for the marathon weekend. They can't even ride to Westminster!

Somebody isn't much good at planning Laughing

Edit: Scrap that, teaches me to believe word of mouth over reading it for myself. Roads aren't closed on Saturday. They'll still make fuck all difference.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:19 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this MAG stuff...
Considering the title heading of this forum...

"Biking News and Rumours; Discuss the latest news, rumours and laws affecting biking today."

...I'm tempted to give all such threads " Thumbs Down Off Topic" Razz
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:00 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAG self identify as "affecting biking today", you Hitler. Tut Tut

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 19:26 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The roads aren't closed on saturday, but it should be fairly quiet. Vans putting out spectator fencing for the marathon will be stopping and unloading all over the place.

Also, it's a saturday. Not a particularly busy time for traffic in Westminster. Government doesn't work weekends.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:56 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Government doesn't work weekends.

The point that I've thrusted before. Pissing off Saturday Sammy with their rage rides has absolutely no connection to influencing decision makers.

But MAG gotta do what MAG gotta does. I await my next opportunity to bust out my DOWN WITH THIS SORT OF THING spacker vest. Drooling

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:09 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are masses of bikes and bike and cycle congestion and road rage any sort of helpful or reasonable answer to the cities problem of how to move masses of people around quickly to where they want to go?

Will cross rail help? And why are they not trying to encourage firms to build people sized capsules that can be shot through tubes above or under city with compressed air? Hell they should even do a tax break on PWC for the Thames and for personal flying machines like jet packs, or paramotors instead.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:12 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
So in a few years diesel taxis will be fairly rare.

Want to put money on that? I cycle a lot round London and the major cause of me coughing out my lungs are black cabs, not just old ones all of them. Buses are getting cleaner with a lot more hybrids, and seem to be maintained better.

Diesel fumes are carcinogenic and killing people, yet cabbies are exempt from the ULEZ, so that's (apparently) 18% of the cause not being dealt with, until they slowly upgrade of course. I wonder what the actual figure of pre-ULEZ bikes heading into (central) London is?

Uber are AFAIK still grovelling to get their license back, and they mainly use hybrids, showing the power of the cabbies. They protest over everything and get special treatment because of it.

However I won't be going cos I don't ride an old banger Wink

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:22 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

turns out that the DLR drivers cancelled their strike this weekend.

You didn't realise they were planning a strike? Well, thats still one more than those that realised that there was a bike demo organised by MAG this weekend...

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 01:26 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
turns out that the DLR drivers cancelled their strike this weekend.

You didn't realise they were planning a strike? Well, thats still one more than those that realised that there was a bike demo organised by MAG this weekend...

I thought the DLR was a driverless system.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 343 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2