Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Hug Trees a little.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:35 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:

Top comment, coming from the man whose educational experience amounts to that provided by a dotcom era training organisation cashing in on lost ex squaddies by offering lessons on how to screw computers together. You'll have to up your game and try a bloody lot harder if you want to sensibly discuss this topic with someone who's at least 6 years of understanding ahead of you.

What experience do you have in the real world?
That course was over 20 years ago and was a 3 month residential course which enabled me to change career in my early 20's. I worked my way up to technical team leader on a multimillion pound contract at one of the top customers in London, shortly after starting my "screwing computers together course". You went back to school as an adult for years to dodge work.

I have 20 years worth of real work experience to add and now cover a wider range of hardware, software, hosting and networking than you'll ever get to by my age. I even have my own VOIP platform now. Let me know when you've successfully ran your own company for over 15 years and started paying UK tax.

You really are a know it all student twat. Say hello to Itchy and Jewlio for me. You add nothing of any interest to any post, other than shouting your own biased, obnoxious, inexperienced, naive, opinion as fact.

Hahahaha

Do you want to publish your tax returns, or shall we? Laughing

handbasket
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:27 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ll just leave this here.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/oct/24/bbc-apologises-over-interview-climate-sceptic-lord-nigel-lawson

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:00 - 25 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
You add nothing of any interest to any post, other than shouting your own biased, obnoxious, inexperienced, naive, opinion as fact.

Ha, ha, ha. Good one. Pot meet kettle.

Wink

Also you're showing the root of your problem here. You think it's a case of opinion vs opinion, but it isn't. Science is tried, tested, peer reviewed and, most importantly, willing to change if some new evidence comes along. It isn't how opinion really works. At best you could say it's the researched opinion of an entire planet of people with far better education and experience than you. You could call it biased, obnoxious, inexperienced and naive, but that would be your biased, obnoxious, inexperienced and naive opinion.

Last edited by Lord Percy on 02:58 - 25 Oct 2017; edited 2 times in total

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:46 - 25 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

handbasket wrote:

Fukc Nigela has certainly let hersel' go. Shocked

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:59 - 25 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:

Hahahaha

Do you want to publish your tax returns, or shall we? Laughing

So it turns out he's one of the social parasites he so loathes in society?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:55 - 25 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

handbasket wrote:

Is that the one where he talked about measured temperatures being steady or down, which is fakenews because the "adjusted" temperatures still show a rise when you adjust them to show a rise?

BURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRN (responsibly).

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:44 - 25 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch this if you have 20 minutes to spare: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjxJsltLDrw

For the deniers of facts.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:16 - 25 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Meanwhile Greenpeace, Leonardo Dicaprio (his cast including two POTUS and The Pope apparently), Al Gore, Percy et al are jetting around the world burning tons of fossil fuels. Until the preachers practice what they preach I don't anticipate the Plebian masses being convinced to change their lifestyles to save the current state of the planet even if they were able to.

A classic response from those who think shifting the blame onto 'someone else' is the way to get around what's being discussed.

A handful of environmentalists flying around are exactly the sort of people who should be granted such benefits.

When pondering such issues I always ask myself, "What do the actors and the rock stars think?" Wink

Apart from the sly dig at your own air travels I was trying to suggest that right-on preaching by high rollers who once governed and could have done something about the issue but didn't, isn't likely to persuade the masses to walk to work, not heat their homes, reject subsidised air travel, buy diesels (oh, wait...). What are we supposed to do about this issue, assuming it's not too late? Maybe Leonardo had the answer but I haven't watched the film.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:58 - 26 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone just wake me up when it gets cold enough that I can get away with wearing my grandmother's fur coat.
Many thanks
https://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/spongebobandfriendsadventures/images/1/14/Dormouse-teapot.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110115001001

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:31 - 26 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been put on the mpd72 enemy list Dance!

Guess he's one of those types who loves chucking out utter dickhead comments at people then gets pissy when they treat him the same.

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Apart from the sly dig at your own air travels I was trying to suggest that right-on preaching by high rollers who once governed and could have done something about the issue but didn't, isn't likely to persuade the masses

Unfortunately this is another classic fallacy people use to shut down anyone who dares to talk about changing the status quo. "He was all talk but never acted on it!"

Well...

Dicaprio has been at it since he was 24 -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonardo_DiCaprio#Environmental_activism
Al Gore has been at it since forever -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Gore#Environmentalism

What this reduces to is the Mensch fallacy, wherein a person is told they aren't allowed to hold a certain opinion just because they have arbitrary credentials like being a rich actor or major politician, as if activisty ideals are strictly reserved for the poor and lowly. Meanwhile it's quite fine to listen to the exact opposite (and usually far more damaging) viewpoints pushed by those with vested interests, because they're rich and/or aren't trying to rock the status quo.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:09 - 26 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's more that they talk a good game about how everyone needs to get by on less, while jetting around between one giant resource guzzling gated mansion and another.

Al Gore in particular profits from selling indulgences, and uses the money to buy ocean-adjacent property. He's pretty serial about not practising what he preaches.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:51 - 26 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, good point. Fact-checker folk agree: https://www.factcheck.org/2009/06/al-gores-mansion/

Still, it doesn't really get around the fact that people seem all too willing to wash their hands of something just because 'someone else' isn't performing as expected.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:14 - 26 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pay no attention to the man fiddling the data behind the curtain.

The data are final and complete, the data need reviewing again, unless they don't, trust the data, until we change it, then double-trust it.

Us mere parishioners have to take this stuff on faith. When the priesthood are caught with their fingers in the choirboys, what are we to think? To whom can we turn for salvation from our sins?

Last edited by Rogerborg on 11:50 - 26 Oct 2017; edited 1 time in total

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:41 - 26 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are all missing the point here.

Until we start controlling (culling) the worlds population things won't get better, it's an absolute impossibility.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b7/Population_curve.svg/350px-Population_curve.svg.png

If, as said in an earlier post, the populations of the places that soon can't grow crops do start migrating, arguing about who's to blame won't matter a fuck.

What we have seen in the last couple of years will be a drop in the ocean compared to what will happen.

Man the barricades, flood the tunnel and get ready for civilisation collapse.

I'm in a pot half empty mood today.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:57 - 26 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.thegwpf.org/matt-ridley-global-warming-versus-global-greening/

Viewed globally, we can sustain even the teeming, fecund masses of Africa, if we choose. It's really a question of whether we feed them beans or bullets.

We've been trying the former for some time, and all it's producing is more and more mouths.

Let's give war a chance, eh? I fancy our chances, in the short term.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:44 - 26 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, let me try to respond again, hopefully in a way which can't simply be dismissed by categorisation. Aside from reportage I'd like to know what the activists think we can practically do about climate change. How can societies bring about the required massive changes to the global economy when those economies are currently dependant on fossil fuels, there are no alternatives with the potential to take over, and possibly not enough time left anyway. Vote Green, I guess.
Thinking
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:22 - 26 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
can't simply be dismissed by categorisation.

Your sort always say that.

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Vote Green

Thereby greenwashing the conscience, without having to actually lift a finger. As I said, it's a religion, and voting or waving a banner is penance.

Any ecomental who truly bought into the "science" would kill themselves and as many other people as possible. At a minimum, they'd get on a sailing ship to Africa and enjoy a low-resource lifestyle, until they were rapemurdered or died of EbolAIDS (or both, not necessarily in that order).

Still, I am also keen to hear what we, the little people, can actually do in order to prevent the coming heat-freeze-drought-flood.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:32 - 26 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Foreign aid for a one off event may work, but when aid is constantly needed in an area, year after year, decade after decade, the aid is falsely supporting a population the land can't.
Starvation, disease and fighting over resources will always be present.

Withdraw the aid and Mtumba might not try to have a football team sized litter of offspring to fail to feed.

No it won't stop them, they will still have as many babies as possible in the hope one might live long enough and be affluent enough to support them in their old age.

That is the premise of every third world family in existence, It's why immigrants to this country still have large family's, it's ingrained in their psyche.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:55 - 26 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
OK, let me try to respond again, hopefully in a way which can't simply be dismissed by categorisation. Aside from reportage I'd like to know what the activists think we can practically do about climate change. How can societies bring about the required massive changes to the global economy when those economies are currently dependant on fossil fuels, there are no alternatives with the potential to take over, and possibly not enough time left anyway. Vote Green, I guess.
Thinking

Hmm, well.

You're very right, so far as I can see it. I am trying to be optimistic, but I am close to throwing my toys in the sandpit, leaving you all to Malthus and going to get my feet firmly under the table at my mates farm in Australia.

The land of guns, wide open spaces and a moat of Great White Sharks (and giant crocodiles!).

The problem is, everyone just expects technology to save us.

Never actually countering the underlying issues.

I just got to Eco-nazi Germany with their pfucking pfand system (deposits on plastic/glass/ali bottles) of .25c on most bottles and huge drive for recycling.

And by god can they waste paper. "We recycle heavily, so of course we can consume as much as we want."

And the low birth rate is such a shame... it needs fixing.

Brick Wall

I think I will take this masters and fuck off to my mates farm in Australia. Malthus can pick your European bones clean while I watch from a distance.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:22 - 26 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:

Yup, Stephen Hawking tells me we can all just fuck off to another planet, as soon as your generation gets off it's arse and figures out how we get there Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:03 - 27 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Famine and drug-resistant disease may be our only hope.

Nature is still the biggest player on the planet.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:29 - 27 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
You do get that climate change is the new religion, right?

Are you saying that humanity has, in some weird innate way, a predisposition to obsessing about notions of the end of the world? And, consequently, that it uses dominant belief systems to fasten these ideas to? E.g. in some eras this might be shit like The Flood, or all that stuff in Revelations. In modern times, maybe the Cold War, AIDS and more recently antibiotic resistant strains of TB etc. - all of which are viewed "scientifically" rather than religiously?

Y u mindfuck bcf with proto-Jungian archetypes??

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:09 - 27 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm, we're always seeking the next end of the world, and the wizards who can save the chosen few from it.

Sun Wukong wrote:

Sure, I put my blind faith in real science, since it's done a pretty good job so far.

Sun Wukong wrote:
I think I will take this masters and fuck off to my mates farm in Australia.

You'd feel no obligation to pay either back or forward the largess of first world privilege and resource consumption that you've enjoyed?

What would you contribute on a farm? Either there, or to the world?

If you don't care about producing more than you consume or helping others, to whom will you turn when you get sick and old?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:50 - 27 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
to whom will you turn when you get sick and old?

That one's easy. Death.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 182 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 2 of 16