Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Hug Trees a little.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:15 - 22 Oct 2017    Post subject: Hug Trees a little. Reply with quote

Lest we forget.

https://youtu.be/IUMog65A-nM

https://youtu.be/2DLnhdnSUVs

A cool protest for a hot topic.

Cool

Chuffin Nora
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:22 - 22 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm calling fake. Folded arms

No jet ski thieves brandishing Harpic
and making off with the Joanna.

Thumbs Down

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:05 - 22 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome.

Considering how they panicked like fuck when the glacier fell down, its still kind of cool how they edited that bit into the final "original" to make it look like it happened while he was playing Cool

Nice piece of music, I'm very fond of Einaudi.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:46 - 22 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-41608722

"Penguins die in 'catastrophic' Antarctic breeding season [...] caused by unusually high amounts of ice"

High amounts of ice.

High amounts of ice.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:46 - 22 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-41608722

"Penguins die in 'catastrophic' Antarctic breeding season [...] caused by unusually high amounts of ice"

High amounts of ice.

High amounts of ice.

Well I'm not surprised.

It is nearly the winter. Duh....

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:02 - 22 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borgy, I generally like your wits.

Climatology is not your strong suit though. The reason it is called Climate Change rather than Global Warming is to highlight the shifting weather systems caused by the changes in temperature.

That means freak events.

"High ice late in the season" sounds like an unusual event, no?

Did you know that due to global warming we can now grow completely different crops in Europe? Ones that we never could have before. I think that is more compelling proof for business orientated people than anything else I've heard.

It is real. It is irrelevant as population growth will fuck us long before that, but you know... It will be fun whatever Neutral

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:49 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
Borgy, I generally like your wits.

Climatology is not your strong suit though. The reason it is called Climate Change rather than Global Warming is to highlight the shifting weather systems caused by the changes in temperature.

That means freak events.

Yep. Like when it snowed in Greece last summer.

Hotter earth means more energy being shoved from the equator to the poles in the wind cycle. This dumps more energy in the Rossby waves which form naturally in the jet stream. These waves:

https://stephenleahy.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/rossby-waves1_.jpg

More energy means higher amplitude, meaning arctic air on the cold side of the wave is pulled much further south.

So then it snows in Greece and everyone claims it isn't related to global warming because snow is a cold thing.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:43 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
"Did you know that due to global warming we can now grow completely different crops in Europe? Ones that we never could have before.

History is not your strong suit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Warm_Period

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_Warm_Period

I'm aware of the theory that heat causes cold, and it's just darling.

Are you aware how close we came to global extinction during the last glacial period and CO2 low? You know at what concentration of CO2 plants can't survive, right?

We should be aiming for at least 500ppm, and wallowing in that lush global greening. Burn, baby, burn.

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:21 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I get not everyone is a Geologist but common people, havent ya'll never seen Ice Age!?
It's not just a novel idea it actually (roughly) what's happened (kind of)?

The
Climate
has
always
Changed.
Period!

And don't be so arrogant to think we're so special that we could be the only cause!

Now I'm not suggesting we don't have an effect on the rate of climate change but it's fucking hilarious people pointing out 'climate change, it's a bad thing because just humans M'kay' and suggesting we are going to keep our climate exactly the same forever more?

Best of luck with that one fruit loops Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:07 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're in an ice age, and overdue a glacial period.

Global temperatures are historically low.

Higher is better.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:09 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatefreak wrote:
Now I get not everyone is a Geologist but common people, havent ya'll never seen Ice Age!?
It's not just a novel idea it actually (roughly) what's happened (kind of)?

The
Climate
has
always
Changed.
Period!

And don't be so arrogant to think we're so special that we could be the only cause!

Laughing Probably best not to comment on things you know shit all about.

Or, in your words, don't be so arrogant to think you're so special that you can handwave away your blatant lack of understanding of things like this:

https://www.ferdinand-engelbeen.be/klimaat/klim_img/antarctic_cores_010kyr.jpg

See that big spike there? That's the industrial revolution. Note the timeline is in kiloyears. It's probably also worth me telling you that the big problem you're looking at with CO2 is that its resonance frequency is in the infrared range, which means heat is captured by those molecules in the atmosphere instead of passing into space. Dumping unnatural amounts of CO2 into the atmosphere is guaranteed to make things heat up quickly - very quickly.

You're right the climate always changes, but never at such a fast rate. Ecosystems are not at all happy with what's going on. Probably won't be long until a lot more humans from the hot areas of the planet start drifting north. That won't be fun for anyone. Last I checked, most people were getting pissed off about that already.

Love or loathe the guy, I suggest you watch Leonardo Dicaprio's documentary on the way climate systems have altered already. If you're the type who needs to see it to believe it, you can't go far wrong with that piece of work.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:23 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Higher is better.

Better for who?

Whether earth is 'due' a glacial period or not, the process and rate of change should probably stay in line with how things have naturally cycled since the beginning of ice-core-recorded time.

https://www.ucsusa.org/assets/images/gw/graph-for-web.gif

Your suggestion that the earth could do with being a bit warmer is shockingly simplistic and is a clear cherry-picking of facts. Looking at the chart above, you could just as easily say the earth was due a reduction in its CO2 levels even before industrialisation. But hey that goes against the "climate change annoys me so I'll find ways to claim it's nonsense" agenda.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:11 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

And magnetic north could flip at any time and an asteroid we do not know about could hit us and... 😣

Not much we can do to stop an asteroid but it's a gamble to ignore climate change in case we are the reasons for it.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:20 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

But Percy, we will get more bbq days to grill steaks. What possible problems could there be for anyone.

Malthus is coming for us. Pile on the gas, build a big bonfire and burn it up - Make the most of this period of plenty.

You've heard of peak oil, and peak phosporous even...

Well I think we may be reaching peak calories per capita.

The sad thing is, it really is becoming a boom industry all to itself. Feeding the denialism because you can see the hypocrisy.

Six years after this magnificient rant by Stanhope we are just about able to talk about birth rate and population.

It is seriously frustrating, and frankly I may just fuck off to Australia to my mates farm and leave you all to it.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:32 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Higher is better.

Better for who?

Humanity. I'm rooting for you guys.

Lord Percy wrote:
Whether earth is 'due' a glacial period or not, the process and rate of change should probably stay in line with how things have naturally cycled since the beginning of ice-core-recorded time.

You do realise what a glacial period means, right? Eh?

Lord Percy wrote:
Your suggestion that the earth could do with being a bit warmer is shockingly simplistic

A lot warmer, with much higher CO2.

You'll thank me when the taiga opens up for agriculture and habitation.

Yes, I'm going to claim credit for that.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:01 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile Greenpeace, Leonardo Dicaprio (his cast including two POTUS and The Pope apparently), Al Gore, Percy et al are jetting around the world burning tons of fossil fuels. Until the preachers practice what they preach I don't anticipate the Plebian masses being convinced to change their lifestyles to save the current state of the planet even if they were able to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:10 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Lord Percy wrote:
Your suggestion that the earth could do with being a bit warmer is shockingly simplistic

A lot warmer, with much higher CO2.

You'll thank me when the taiga opens up for agriculture and habitation.

Yes, I'm going to claim credit for that.

Sorry but you're showing utter cluelessness here. You try to act like you know a bit about every topic but it isn't going to work on this one.

"Don't worry about rapid alteration of ecosystems which the majority of living species can't keep up with - the Taiga region will be mild enough, once everything's dead."

Laughing

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Meanwhile Greenpeace, Leonardo Dicaprio (his cast including two POTUS and The Pope apparently), Al Gore, Percy et al are jetting around the world burning tons of fossil fuels. Until the preachers practice what they preach I don't anticipate the Plebian masses being convinced to change their lifestyles to save the current state of the planet even if they were able to.

A classic response from those who think shifting the blame onto 'someone else' is the way to get around what's being discussed.

A handful of environmentalists flying around are exactly the sort of people who should be granted such benefits. It's a pea in the ocean of all the Jet2 and Ryanair folk doing the same just for the sake of a beach and some cocktails. As for me heading over to China all the time - force me to take the train and I'd be fine with that. Legislation is needed to keep the masses in line.

Arguably air flight could be kept as a 'thing' anyway. Switch to 100% nuke power and renewables for ground-based energy requirements, meaning everything is electrified (including motorbikes, sorry) then a bit of kerosene burning won't matter at all.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:28 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you read... a book? Shocked

Well, I've seen a film, and life will find a way. It'll come right, we've survived worse.

And if we don't, then fretting and wailing about won't help. And neither will beggaring ourselves in a religious fervour to appease Gaia.

You do get that climate change is the new religion, right? Dost thou doubt the Holy Word of the Techpriests? Dost thou not respect their esoteric mysteries? Burn the unbeliever! Then sequester his carbon.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:30 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. To show us how the global warming is ruining the planet, they used a 30+ years old two stroke diesel boat to get there and tow a piano amongst the glaciers. The definition of being wasteful, right there. Cool story bro. Razz
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:32 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

Lord Percy wrote:
A classic response from those who think shifting the blame onto 'someone else' is the way to get around what's being discussed.

A handful of environmentalists flying around are exactly the sort of people who should be granted such benefits.

And students flying half way around the world, to add pressure and more pollution to one of the most polluted areas, in order to dodge paying off their student loans, are exempt too are they?

Hypocrite.

You do enjoy your selective quoting of text, don't you Laughing

mpd72 wrote:

Lord Percy wrote:
Sorry but you're showing utter cluelessness here. You try to act like you know a bit about every topic but it isn't going to work on this one.

Ha, ha, ha. Good one. Pot meet kettle.

Top comment, coming from the man whose educational experience amounts to that provided by a dotcom era training organisation cashing in on lost ex squaddies by offering lessons on how to screw computers together. You'll have to up your game and try a bloody lot harder if you want to sensibly discuss this topic with someone who's at least 6 years of understanding ahead of you.

Ha, ha, ha. Now where's my brew?

Rogerborg I truly do not understand why you so often rate this man's nonsense as 'insightful'. Doesn't do much for your own credibility when you show agreement with such empty drivel.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:36 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

You do get that climate change is the new religion, right?

Yes, and not all religions are inherently evil.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:50 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:

Top comment, coming from the man whose educational experience amounts to that provided by a dotcom era training organisation cashing in on lost ex squaddies by offering lessons on how to screw computers together. You'll have to up your game and try a bloody lot harder if you want to sensibly discuss this topic with someone who's at least 6 years of understanding ahead of you.

What experience do you have in the real world?
That course was over 20 years ago and was a 3 month residential course which enabled me to change career in my early 20's. I worked my way up to technical team leader on a multimillion pound contract at one of the top customers in London, shortly after starting my "screwing computers together course". You went back to school as an adult for years to dodge work.

I have 20 years worth of real work experience to add and now cover a wider range of hardware, software, hosting and networking than you'll ever get to by my age. I even have my own VOIP platform now. Let me know when you've successfully ran your own company for over 15 years and started paying UK tax.

You really are a know it all student twat. Say hello to Itchy and Jewlio for me. You add nothing of any interest to any post, other than shouting your own biased, obnoxious, inexperienced, naive, opinion as fact.

You went a whole post without blaming foreigners though... well done Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:08 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
You went a whole post without blaming foreigners though... well done Thumbs Up

Did you just whitewash Itchy? Shocked

Lord Percy wrote:
Rogerborg I truly do not understand why you so often rate this man's nonsense as 'insightful'. Doesn't do much for your own credibility when you show agreement with such empty drivel.

If I encourage a monkey to fling faeces at the other zoo visitors, that doesn't necessarily mean that I advocate it as a lifestyle choice.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 147 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 1 of 16