Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Hug Trees a little.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:05 - 03 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:

Yes, yes, kill the humans, end their culture, I'm onboard with that part.

Lord Percy wrote:
[NASA]

Obama's NASA.

It'll be your turn to scoff at the truths that Trump's NASA and EPA will unearth soon.

Lord Percy wrote:
Quote:
Here, the models [...] the model projections. [...] models [...] models [...] models

Oh, look, a field of cows.

Hey, that cow is pointing north.

Therefore, all cows can be used as compasses.

chickenstrip wrote:
a) not like Rogerborg will have any effect on the issue.

Inertia is my religion. Folded arms

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:21 - 03 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Obama's NASA.

It'll be your turn to scoff at the truths that Trump's NASA and EPA will unearth soon.

Lord Percy wrote:
Quote:
Here, the models [...] the model projections. [...] models [...] models [...] models

Oh, look, a field of cows.

Hey, that cow is pointing north.

Therefore, all cows can be used as compasses.

I think it's time for me to admit I'm only continuing this discussion because it's fun to see what lunacy you'll come out with in each new reply Very Happy

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:32 - 03 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to see what we're up against Thumbs Up

It's not going to be fixed easily, clearly.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:36 - 03 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
I think it's time for me to admit I'm only continuing this discussion because it's fun to see what lunacy you'll come out with in each new reply Very Happy

Jinx!

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:09 - 03 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:

Jinx!

Creation.com - Missing Links Parade

Why would a loving god allow suffering and death, Borgy? Why?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:24 - 03 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
Why would a loving god allow suffering and death, Borgy? Why?

Only when She's on the blob.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:36 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/ZrotNe9.png?1

Shrieks Al Beeb, with a little help from Tense Adams, given that they backtrack to 'very likely' will be.

Death, doom, panic, worst ever, extinction, inexorable rising trend, hotter and hotter and hotter, woe, woe unto us.

Al Beeb wrote:
The analysis suggests that 2017 is likely to come in 0.47C warmer than the 1981-2010 average.

This is slightly down on 2016 when the El Niño weather phenomenon saw temperatures that were 0.56C above the average.

That, right there, is why this whole 'debate' is mirthsome, as the language has already been decided, and the playing field tilted, polished and oiled.

When the planet warms, that's down to climate change.

When the planet cools, it's just weather.

The headline should be "Planet cools an unprecedented 0.09 degrees in just one year, climate alarmists perform desperate damage control".

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:12 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly still using hysterical news sources rather than any of the bumf I threw at you before!

Long term predictions are right - rapid warming and all the negative results that go with it. Short term predictions however will always be plagued by uncertainty. A colder year does not mean the trend stops. Indeed it really hasn't stopped at all.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:39 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Clearly still using hysterical news sources rather than any of the bumf I threw at you before!

Long term predictions are right - rapid warming and all the negative results that go with it. Short term predictions however will always be plagued by uncertainty. A colder year does not mean the trend stops. Indeed it really hasn't stopped at all.

Stop trying to explain science to him, it will only end in tears.

"Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

Borgy, you understand a lot of things to an impressive level. This is not one of them, sadly.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:42 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Clearly still using hysterical news sources

Al Beeb? Sure, they're True Believer alarmists, which can be seen by them producing an article that shriekingly asserts the opposite of the one fact contained in it, which is that the planet cooled his year.

I miss your point. Are you in favour of hysterical alarmism, or in favour of challenging it? Eh?

Lord Percy wrote:
A colder year does not mean the trend stops. Indeed it really hasn't stopped at all.

If this the same definition of reality that depends on "correcting" recent temperature measurements up while "correcting" historic ones down in order to produce the "correct" trend?

Do you honestly not see the problem with making a firm, absolute statement about reality that appears to be based on nothing more than belief that there must, there must, be some model out there that can predict the future?

OK, you've failed the two decades prediction challenge, that's clear enough.

So here's an easier one. Can you find a model that correctly predicted the amount of this year's drop? Should be easy enough, right? I mean, if we can really predict reality a hundred years ahead, it's first necessary to predict one year.

So, astonish and enlighten me: where will I find a record of that prediction? One must exist, there are enough climaticians out there that one of them must have got it right just through sheer dumb luck accurate modelling.

Then for bonus wokeness: what does that model predict the global temperature will be in 2018?

We can come back to this in a year or so and see how reality played out.

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:16 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

So here's an easier one. Can you find a model that correctly predicted the amount of this year's drop? Should be easy enough, right? I mean, if we can really predict reality a hundred years ahead, it's first necessary to predict one year.

So, astonish and enlighten me: where will I find a record of that prediction? One must exist, there are enough climaticians out there that one of them must have got it right just through sheer dumb luck accurate modelling.

Then for bonus wokeness: what does that model predict the global temperature will be in 2018?

We can come back to this in a year or so and see how reality played out.

In Fairness Rog, the effects of the El Nino/ El Nina cycle are fairly well documented:

https://www.carbonbrief.org/interactive-much-el-nino-affect-global-temperature

Look at the graph, general trend is NASA data 1951-2010, so a fair bit more than just 'Obama's NASA'.

Shows a general upwards variation of approx. 0.8 degrees centigrade over the period. Variation for El Nino: +/- 0.15 degrees for the complete cycle in extreme instances and maybe +/-0.1 degrees on average. It does appear to support the results seen for the 2016-2017 El Nino variations of 0.09 degrees centigrade right?

A further point on 'corrections'. On the face of it, these do seem suspect, just 'correct' the results to get the expected trend right? However, they are sometimes valid for the data or model required.

For example, lots of the climate models of the 90s and 00s had corrections for sulfate aerosols. These are effectively 'smog' particles produced from SO2 and which absorb 1-2 W/m2 of radiant energy cause a cooling effect on Earth. Sounds fine right? Except the main causes of the particles are volcanic eruptions and human sources. They are short lived and crucially, decreasing globally due to clean air initiatives etc. Therefore, if you don't 'correct' for them, you get models which underestimate future warming and which are wildly out due to taking past volcanic events into consideration. This has been proven to effect global temps. For instance look again at the graph in my link above, specifically 1992. Effects of volcanic activity and El Nino can be seen very clearly and the net effect of both acting together (in this case cancelling each other out.

Oh, and bonus points for 2018: BASED EXCLUSIVELY ON EL NINO, 2018 should show similar or marginally lower temps than 2017, based on El Nino cycles generally acting over at least a few years and the current one increasing through 2014 and 2015 before peaking in 2016.

Bonus prediction for even more points, 2020 or 2021 will be the next hottest year on record, based on data not adjusted to mitigate El Nino effects.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:47 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y'all know what we need? We need a massive reduction in the human population. Funnily enough, one relatively quick and easy way to achieve this would be to increase global warming as much as we possibly can, with all the associated disasters that would bring - in short, we're not really trying hard enough to cause global warming if we really want to save the human species Thumbs Up
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:47 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Climate oscillations (the ones we've detected). It's complicated.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_oscillation
We'd be quite right to combat pollution where possible, but it could be said that activities which return carbon back to the system are just life-forms doing what life-forms do; increasing the entropy of the system. Gaia wants it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:56 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw this in my feed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyNmgSefNA4
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:18 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
We'd be quite right to combat pollution where possible, but it could be said that activities which return carbon back to the system are just life-forms doing what life-forms do; increasing the entropy of the system. Gaia wants it.

No.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:33 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

Yeh, can't argue with any of that, sadly.

https://wehaveconcerns.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/end-is-near.jpg

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:49 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

No.

Yes.

Wait, CO2 directly increases food production?

There's a technological "solution" to the "problem" that's been "caused" by technology, you say?

FAKE NEWS! VERY BAD!

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:17 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Wait, CO2 directly increases food production?

There's a technological "solution" to the "problem" that's been "caused" by technology, you say?

FAKE NEWS! VERY BAD!

Police Tut Tut That isn't what it says at all. Tut tut Roger. 1 mark for memeing, 2 marks for actual technological solution. 3/10. No mention of tiny scale its currently on and the huge challenges to scaling and deployment.

We have a plethora of technology that could *if magically scaled and deployed globally* solve these problems. Add this one to the pile and call me when any actual political will develops to do much about it (outside of china I mean..... Shocked )

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:23 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:

Can't detect sarcasm or not.

It's merely that some solutions actually make the problem worse.

It's like hybrid cars. Ah yes better for the environment says the headline. Except we don't consider the manufacturing of them and losses in transmitting electricity from the coal power plants. Then you're lugging around a ton of batteries that need replacement every 10,000 miles.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:58 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falco wrote:
No mention of tiny scale its currently on and the huge challenges to scaling and deployment.

Fusion power, brah. 20 years, you wait and see.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:31 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

Can't detect sarcasm or not.

It's like hybrid cars. Ah yes better for the environment says the headline. Except we don't consider the manufacturing of them and losses in transmitting electricity from the coal power plants. Then you're lugging around a ton of batteries that need replacement every 10,000 miles.

No sarcasm, genuine exasperation for "can't do right for wrong".

I was enjoying my moral superiority moving away from milk, and then almond milk becomes the new devil.

I am moving towards occasional chicken, and less dairy stuff, but in reality the battle seems lost whatever.

I should join Borgey on the good-ship-climate-change-denial, the parties have better catering.

Dance! Dance!

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:05 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

No.

Concise, assertive. Karma But not rising to it? Crying or Very sad You're no fun anymore! Smile
https://wehaveconcerns.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/end-is-near.jpg
The end of what though?

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:39 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

I agree that externalities are often not considered but that's not a great example, equivalent power generated in a power plant is far more efficient due to the scale of generation, ability to reuse waste heat generated etc . Dropping current and boosting voltage drops resistive losses during transmission so the overall loss for transmission is around 8-10%. So in terms of power generation electric cars are better for the environment.

Battery production and disposal though? Yeeesh, what a nightmare. Whichever physical chemist (or their company) cracks decent battery tech is going to be so rich that they'll be throwing money at Bill Gates like he was a homeless man

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:58 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falco wrote:
equivalent power generated in a power plant is far more efficient due to the scale of generation, ability to reuse waste heat generated etc . Dropping current and boosting voltage drops resistive losses during transmission so the overall loss for transmission is around 8-10%. So in terms of power generation electric cars are a tiny bit better for the environment whilst not being as practical, capable, convenient.

FTFY.
Falco wrote:
Battery production and disposal though? Yeeesh, what a nightmare. Whichever physical chemist (or their company) cracks decent battery tech is going to be so rich,

Not going to happen. 100 years of development, the most remarkable century of innovation and still no solution. It's a dead end.

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 04:36 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
[
Not going to happen. 100 years of development, the most remarkable century of innovation and still no solution. It's a dead end.

Really? I'm just thinking about the last 10 years and there's been massive improvements. We're not there yet, granted, but there is still huge progress.

Take phones as an example. '80's phone had a battery the size of a brick. They provided sufficient power for a couple of hours call time and to power a two line black and green screen.

Fast forwards to the 90's. A phone battery is the size of a pack of cards, same functionality or better. 00's, battery even smaller, offers 3x the call time and has enough juice to start thinking about colour screens, 3G, internet, music. 2010's, an iphone lasts all day and has more processing power than an early 00's laptop. Full internet use, touch screen, games, ipod etc.

It's the same with everything. I remember with model helicopters (yes, I'm a nerd) in the late 00's when electric started beating glow fuel and petrol for performance. Why? Partly brushless motors sure, but the newfangled LiPo batteries started costing reasonable money, giving you 10minute flight times and the ability to pull stuff off that no glow fuel bird could do.

Cars will be the same. It'll take more time, but if we can continue improving the tech as we are, we're only talking another 30 years before a £500 battery will do 500miles and charge in 30mins. At that point, you have to ask what petrol is really providing to the average commuter...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 156 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 9 of 16