Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What happens to all the stolen bikes.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

bigbadcredit
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:04 - 22 Oct 2017    Post subject: What happens to all the stolen bikes. Reply with quote

I was reading about how in one year there were something like 15k+ bikes and scooters stolen in London alone.

Where do these bikes end up. If say 50% are recovered that still leaves 7000+ bikes unaccounted for.

I guess if a scooter or a little 125 is stolen it's probably just used to rob a few purses. But what about the BMW's and Triumph's that are knicked.

Are they brought out of the country and sold in africa? Are they stripped for parts?

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:23 - 22 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

In bits on ebay sold as spares. Burnt out after use in other crime or just knobbing about on them and the rest go to Eastern Eurape.

The occasional one is recovered if the owner goes hunting for it themself.

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 22 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only picture lots of little vlad's and dmitry's messing about in the waste lands on brand spanking new Panigales and GS1200's.

It's shocking that no one really quite knows, or how they are able to get them out so easily. I always wonder when I see those Euro courier vans on the motorways, maybe they are full of stolen bikes off to Poland who knows.

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:33 - 22 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albania I guess. Remember the special top gear did out there with all the local wide boys driving around in very decent UK cars. Didn't even bother taking the numberplate off most cases.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:55 - 22 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike-trac make a point that they'll liaise with Euro-Dredd when your PaniGSagale goes over in Vladislav's van.

I imagine police.uk could do a lot more proactive investigating and boot-putting-in of back-yard bike breakers. When I asked ScotPlod if they were equipped to check for the various security markings and how many bikes / parts they'd recovered with each, they responded that they did not hold that information (i.e. had no Teffing idea what I was asking about) and what's more, they don't even record bike thefts separately from other vehicles. Brick Wall

Adamantis
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:58 - 22 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whichever twat nicked my 1999 RSV, I hope it killed you. It kept trying to kill me :p

Unless it was stolen for parts (haha, good luck!), or track (more likely), any bike that you have to leave running at the volume of a major artillery strike for 4-5 minutes before moving off (or it'll cut out) is a poor choice for sneaky thievery!

W**kers. I bloody loved that bike Sad Even if it did spend more time in pieces than on the road. And cut out for sheer giggles if you left it in gear at the lights...

I really hope it killed you.
Rides: '91 CG125 (Sold), '00 CB500S (Sold), '97 Thundercat (Sold), '99 KTM EXC 300 (SOLD), '99 RSV Mille (stolen. Thieving SCUM!!!), '94 DR350 (sold), '10 Vstrom 650 (hated it so much I gave up riding), now on the OH's CBF1000 until I can afford another Mille...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:01 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
In bits on ebay sold as spares.

Do crims put that much effort in? Razz. Most of the spares I see are from crashed bikes.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:20 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I used to go to school with this nasty piece of work. He was always going to end up a wrong un

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:49 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
grr666 wrote:
In bits on ebay sold as spares.

Do crims put that much effort in?

It's not much effort to sell them to Barry the Breaker. Not much money either, but then their costs and aspirations are low.

M.C wrote:
Most of the spares I see are from crashed bikes.

How would you verify the veracity of that?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:11 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are burnt out in Paddys yard. He paid about tree fiddy for them.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:14 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Do crims put that much effort in? Razz. Most of the spares I see are from crashed bikes.

There was a video recently where some couriers turn up to find someone stripping the bike within hours of it being stolen - they kindly offered to put it back together for the owner of the bike.

There was also a report from some time a little longer ago I think of the police busting a lorry driving around the country which had people in the back actively stripping bikes as they go.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:07 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
It's not much effort to sell them to Barry the Breaker. Not much money either, but then their costs and aspirations are low.

True, I meant baklaf types striping bikes themselves. I guess it's similar to scrap yards that buy from pikeys.

Rogerborg wrote:

How would you verify the veracity of that?

They sometimes have a pic'/video of the crashed bike, and bits with obvious accident damage, or major bits missing (ie: no front end for sale).

I guess you can't be sure but what's the alternative, never buy spares from breakers on eBay?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:11 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

They sometimes have a pic'/video of the crashed bike, and bits with obvious accident damage, or major bits missing (ie: no front end for sale).

Because baklaf never crash bikes?

It was noticeable over summer that the price of parts seemed to be way lower than it should be for many bikes - those with no overheads can afford to pull the market down.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:16 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Because baklaf never crash bikes?

I dunno does dodgy dave collect? Smile

G wrote:
It was noticeable over summer that the price of parts seemed to be way lower than it should be for many bikes - those with no overheads can afford to pull the market down.

Can't say I did and I was shopping for a Striple.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:28 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

True, I meant baklaf types striping bikes themselves. I guess it's similar to scrap yards that buy from pikeys.

The kid that half-inched my brother in law's little XR125 got nabbed on a burglary and they linked a load of crime back to him. BiL went to court to watch the case unfold - apparently the 'big player' he was robbing bikes for was giving him £50 a bike. £50.....

Pleaded guilty to burglary and had ~20 other offences 'taken into account'. He also had a handful of previous convictions.

~6 months, suspended, from memory........

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:36 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irn-Bru wrote:
I always wonder when I see those Euro courier vans on the motorways

https://s.aolcdn.com/hss/storage/midas/d27da71a0c61c09931ee43875096054/200108159/bmw3_0.jpg
https://s.aolcdn.com/hss/storage/midas/62cd53e675d9e37a440ccd56b736d269/200108161/kep_007_15.jpg

Me buy old scrap car, no English speaky

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:13 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hungarian police found that BMW. Laughing

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2627181/Ultimate-cut-shut-Romanian-thieves-apart-range-BMW-pack-van-ship-border.html

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:38 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TaffyTDM wrote:
Albania I guess. Remember the special top gear did out there with all the local wide boys driving around in very decent UK cars. Didn't even bother taking the numberplate off most cases.
Can you really see a £1K used CG being taken back homeland and sold for peanuts? Even 3-4 a time is alot of effort.

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:42 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TaffyTDM wrote:

Was in Albania last sunday, they're all going around on scootays or crappy old mercs
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:37 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

st3v3 wrote:
TaffyTDM wrote:
Can you really see a £1K used CG being taken back homeland and sold for peanuts? Even 3-4 a time is alot of effort.

What about top end bikes?

I came across a wrecked/abandoned scooter today, so some of them are still being ragged for fun:

https://i62.servimg.com/u/f62/15/13/82/47/scoota10.jpg

Vracktal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:25 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzoid wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:
I always wonder when I see those Euro courier vans on the motorways

https://s.aolcdn.com/hss/storage/midas/d27da71a0c61c09931ee43875096054/200108159/bmw3_0.jpg
https://s.aolcdn.com/hss/storage/midas/62cd53e675d9e37a440ccd56b736d269/200108161/kep_007_15.jpg

Me buy old scrap car, no English speaky

Would you really trust a car chopped apart then welded back together by two Romanians?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:15 - 25 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vracktal wrote:
Would you really trust a car chopped apart then welded back together by two Romanians?

We can't be entirely sure, but it's possible they may not actually advertise that fact when selling it on.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 13:31 - 25 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
We can't be entirely sure, but it's possible they may not actually advertise that fact when selling it on.

You are so cynical, just because they are thieves doesn't mean they are dishonest. Rolling Eyes

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:53 - 25 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

You are so cynical, just because they are thieves doesn't mean they are dishonest. Rolling Eyes

<Krays> They never rob their own kind. </Krays>

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:34 - 27 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

What about top end bikes?

Plenty of proof out there as to their fate, mostly involving warehouses and ebay. Crying or Very sad
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 175 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2