Beach race

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fladdem
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:34 - 22 Oct 2017    Post subject: Beach race Reply with quote

Hey all!

I went down to Weston last weekend to watch the beach race, I quite fancy a crack at it myself now!

I'm hoping to have a go at the Skegness beach race in the next few weeks, I've tried forum searching and a spot of googling but I must lack search-fu! Laughing

Is there anything I need to do to prep the bike? I'm pretty certain it's too late to try to prep myself for it, but if the bike is ready, I stand a better chance hanging on to it.

I'm sticking a new top end on it this week, waiting on the barrel to get bored out and come back to me. The front wheel has a couple of snapped spokes and I need to replace them and have the egg shape taken out, can anyone think of anything else I might have to do?

Thanks in advance. Thumbs Up
Current:1991 Honda MT50 (Soon to be a H100/MTX/MT5 hybrid), 1976 Honda Cub C70, 2005 Honda Varadero 125, 1993 Yamaha TTR250 Open Enduro , 2010 Road Legal Stomp YX140, 1994 Honda CRM 250 MK III, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 1992 Honda CB400 Super Four, Stomp T4 230, 1984 Honda H100s, 2009 Sym XS125K
Past:2003 Aprilia RS125, 1982 Kawasaki GPZ550(FREE BIKE!)
I'm having more fun than a well-oiled midget.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:58 - 22 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to go and watch the beach race when I lived there, great fun!

A very fine air filter and a bloody good chain & sprockets I would think!

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:31 - 22 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was that last week? Damn, I'd have shown my face. It's not far from me.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:40 - 22 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a few times, total mayhem, well worth a visit! Thumbs Up

TbirdX
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:02 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to Weston a few times back in the 90s, when they raced through the town at the start, do they still do that?

Steel sprockets, o ring chain, sand tyres, 400 million pairs of goggles, spares, spares, spares, spares..oh and fuel.

One more thing..take spare spares.

TbirdX
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:03 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

p.s. I see you list a mk3 CRM, are you doing it on that?

Fladdem
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:56 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's going to be done on the CRM. I was weighing up the Stomp T4 but I'm used to the Honda. And better build quality should help it last the race.

They do still race through the street first, I was pit crew for my mate on his quad so I missed it, but apparently it was carnage to get the hole shot.

Order a few air filters then, the chain and sprocket has only done about 2 hours use since fitted, steel sprockets and o ring chain.

What sort of spares would you bring? I've still got the old chain and sprocket set, could take that as a last resort, I suppose. I could find some extra levers as well in case the hand guards break.
Current:1991 Honda MT50 (Soon to be a H100/MTX/MT5 hybrid), 1976 Honda Cub C70, 2005 Honda Varadero 125, 1993 Yamaha TTR250 Open Enduro , 2010 Road Legal Stomp YX140, 1994 Honda CRM 250 MK III, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 1992 Honda CB400 Super Four, Stomp T4 230, 1984 Honda H100s, 2009 Sym XS125K
Past:2003 Aprilia RS125, 1982 Kawasaki GPZ550(FREE BIKE!)
I'm having more fun than a well-oiled midget.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:13 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: Beach race Reply with quote

The normal stuff -decent service and make sure your air filter has plenty of oil.

They don't race through the town when I did Weston - which was a good few years ago now.

Good fun; but I learnt I suck riding on sand.
The faster riders seemed to "float" on top of the sand - I obviously just need to go faster, I think. Nope - that just means I crash faster! Smile

TbirdX
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:16 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just pressed the trigger on a MK 3 myself...and it's supposed to have the Mugen control unit thingy (technical term)

I never did Weston, it was on my to do list when I had the biggest (off road) bike crash of my brief racing career.....in sand.

Spent a week on crutches and the next two years falling over at random points when my knee would just give up holding my weight.

Sand, hateful, spiteful, nasty stuff! Smile

As for spares, well, I'm too far out of that game to know really. Sprockets, fuel and goggles and have a jet wash in the pit area to clean the rads out. Several pit crew is useful too.

Whatever you don't have, you'll need, whatever you take will just be dead weight for the ride is how it usually works out!

Take plenty of pics and video and come back and let us know how you got on.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:25 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh; a clutch in good nick.

I just got back to the pits with mine, missing the last bit... otherwise, obviously I'd have easily matched that Pesky David Knight with his fancy pit crew and everything! Razz

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:04 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sort of decided I'd have a go at Western beach about 11years ago with a mate, and went as far as bidding on eBay for a 500cc obsolete early 80's MX bike. My mate knew more about recent MX bikes than I did, and told me not buy it as it was a bike that we'd never get spares for if it packed up/blew up.

I don't know what my logic was at the time having not ridden any MX bike bigger than a 125 and not properly since about 1991/92. I had no idea of the classes they race in now, but I figured that a 500cc two stroke would be good for getting out in front on the long straight and hopefully out of the pack and away from the carnage. There's probably not a worse bike out there for the tight turns and boggy dunes, and I'd imagine that picking up a 500cc off the floor 100times, and trying to kick-start a flooded fearsome 500 with a LHS kicker would have ended very badly too. Laughing

Maybe I'd have at least been able to give a fair and honest appraisal of Bristol A&E though on the plus side.

Good luck Fladdem! Skeggy is a horrible place, but hopefully the race will be a gentle warm up for bone breaking Western if you don't come to your senses.

Just wish I had the balls to give stuff like this a go these days, instead of feeling too anxious to walk to the shops on my day off, let alone ride a bike in a pack of 100's on a soggy boggy beach.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:04 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will need a very good clean afterwards. Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 157 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1