Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Hole in crankcases, JB weld?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:12 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Hole in crankcases, JB weld? Reply with quote

I had a crash a few months ago, so I'm in the process of getting the FZS600 back on the road. Unfortunately the crank cases were cracked where the surface meets the starter clutch cover. The impact caused the bolt to rip the casting out and has left a hole.

Is this area of the engine under high oil pressure? I was thinking maybe just use some JB weld or similar to repair it? Hopefully the other bolts will be enough to prevent a leak?

https://i.imgur.com/xiWF7yJ.png

solemnwarning
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:51 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has it created a new hole, or merely pulled the threads out? If there's enough metal left, and the hole isn't an oilway or something, a helicoil might be an easy (and strong) solution.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:03 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a job for aluminium solder.

If there is a crack, you'll need to drill a stop-hole to prevent the crack propogating further then fill the crack and the hole.

You can fill huge defects with aluminium solder, you can also file it back flush, drill it and tap it.

You'll need a good source of heat like oxyacetylene or MAP gas (and some practice, the old cover would likely work if it's also alloy).

Durafix is a good brand.

https://youtu.be/n1njyuPBIH0

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:52 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

solemnwarning wrote:
Has it created a new hole, or merely pulled the threads out? If there's enough metal left, and the hole isn't an oilway or something, a helicoil might be an easy (and strong) solution.

If you look at the bottom left most bolt, you can roughly see where it's ripped the bolt out and taken a chunk of casing out with it. I'd say the hole it's made is about 1cm^2.

Quote:
I wouldn't trust JB weld.

Buy my scrap engine. 50 ponds.

Tempting, but you're miles away.

Quote:
Sounds like a job for aluminium solder.

If there is a crack, you'll need to drill a stop-hole to prevent the crack propogating further then fill the crack and the hole.

You can fill huge defects with aluminium solder, you can also file it back flush, drill it and tap it.

You'll need a good source of heat like oxyacetylene or MAP gas (and some practice, the old cover would likely work if it's also alloy).

Durafix is a good brand.

Cheers, I'll look into that. [/quote]

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 15:57 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

JB or Lumiweld etc can do a fantastic job, but the devil is in the detal, and like a lot of DIY not in the job, but the prep.

Crank-Cases generally don't have to stand too much 'stress' just keep the oil in, and I know of pistons fixed with Lumi-Weld, so it can stand some stress.. but its all dependent....

To do that job justice, I would probably want the motor torn down to the bare cases, so that I could first get them clean enough that I wasn't cooking oil oil and crap into the joint, and getting the heat into the case I wasn't cooking critical rubber seals or paper gaskets somewhere in there...

Full tear down, would make me ponder the merit of trying to salvage damaged crankcases, vs cost of replacing, nw or 2nd hand.

NOT tearing down... trying to fix in situ... I would be pondering the potential savings of not tearing down, vs the risk that working around whats still i situ would make the job more of a ball-ache, and likely result in it having to be done, and re-done and never getting properly done.. and in that, the merits of going a cold-cure, using a loaded epoxy, either a propriety gloop like metal-set or a home brew using araldite and aluminium filings etc, which will never be as good as an ali-weld or solder, but can do the job adequately if the wound s clean enough and the area not under too much stress.. a 'strategic' bodge basically. But even there, the prep is the key, and cleanliness next to sodliness, a full tear-down may still be in order, and alternative cases the better solution....

Your call....

Top tip... make sure there's o rocks around when you drop a dirt bike.. always look for the 'soft' landing! That's my advice... cant say I follow my own advice very well, judging by the amount of araldite and lumi-weld in my own dirt bikes over the last 30 years... bludi CoC's always find ROCKS to stick a section round! But still!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:19 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've decided to give JB weld a go, nothing to lose eh?

My only concern is the limited space to work in, the clutch mechanism looks like a PITA to remove, so I think I'll put something like a credit card behind it, and then fill the hole with JB weld.

Hopefully there isn't much pressurised oil in that area that will force it's way out any small gaps.

My DRZ has a big skid plate and case savers so I've not had any issues yet. Although I've never really had any crashes on it yet....

raesewell
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:47 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pity the poor sod that buys the bike from the OP

monkeyman
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:40 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are going to struggle to get a seal after on the mating face. I had something similar happen to me and I couldn't get it to seal

You going to want to try and grind a flat face one it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRZ4Hunned wrote:
I've decided to give JB weld a go, nothing to lose eh?

Not much I guess.

If it were me and this was purely a utility machine I would clean the buggery out of it with brake cleaner then first patch over from the outside with some bean can or ally sheet having made a good key first with a file then back fill from the inside..

I never tried drilling and tapping JB style epoxy like they say you can but I sure wouldn't attempt too much torque on the screw.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:18 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

raesewell wrote:
I pity the poor sod that buys the bike from the OP

Why? I'd tell them about it I'm not a cunt. I've already bodged the output shaft by cutting a grove in it and using a circlip when the threads went Laughing

I have more hope in this working than I did with that.

I am only bodging it together to get it ridable, doing my test on it and then I'll probably just run it into the ground (or more likely crash it). I will update when it's done.

monkeyman
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:29 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you have mentioned that before, I would buy a new outer cover and JB it directly to the engine case, use Expoxy putty to fill the gap and jb over top. Will definitely work.

I saw something where someone basically cast an engine out of JB weld and that worked....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:36 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

monkeyman wrote:
Well if you have mentioned that before, I would buy a new outer cover and JB it directly to the engine case, use Expoxy putty to fill the gap and jb over top. Will definitely work.

I saw something where someone basically cast an engine out of JB weld and that worked....

Exactly what I wanted to hear Thumbs Up

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:49 - 25 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropped a generic Chinese 125 lump on the genny side and it cracked from the middle all the way up.
Got a scribe and scored a V to expose clean metal and increase the surface area.
Whacked in some JB weld and it was holding fine years after Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:02 - 25 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be noted that Allen Milliard uses aluminium solder to join the two crankcases he's bandsawed apart when he's making an inline 5 out of two kawasaki triples.

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:54 - 25 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Should be noted that Allen Milliard uses aluminium solder to join the two crankcases he's bandsawed apart when he's making an inline 5 out of two kawasaki triples.

he turned a friends 750 h2 tripple into a 4cylinder and you would never know it wasnt supposed to have 4 cylinders

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 11:28 - 25 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despined_By_Ex wrote:
he turned a friends 750 h2 tripple into a 4cylinder and you would never know it wasnt supposed to have 4 cylinders

That would be extremely odd with two cylinders sticking out one side and only one on the other, got any pics?

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:27 - 25 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Despined_By_Ex wrote:

That would be extremely odd with two cylinders sticking out one side and only one on the other, got any pics?

Allen Millyard's a bit smarter than that Very Happy

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTE5OFgxNjAw/z/RKUAAOSwr81UOVWx/$_57.JPG

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:21 - 30 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

But yet he joins the 2 cranks together with JB weld Whistle Liar

I take it you've lost the missing pieces of the engine jigsaw?

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:25 - 31 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
I take it you've lost the missing pieces of the engine jigsaw?

Yeah, It's probably lodged in the side of the bin lorry. I've got a gear puller, so I'm going to remove the starter clutch for better access, I'll probably add a patch of metal and glue it all together with JB weld. I love a good bodge.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 172 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1