Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New Rider advice please

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

smashkabobs
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:21 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: New Rider advice please Reply with quote

Hi all,

Possible mid life crisis time but I'm set on taking my CBT in the new few weeks and getting myself on a 125 for commuting, then something bigger when I have the confidence.

Thing is I'm looking for a 125 cruiser style bike as due to a back injury I cant lean forwards on a sports style bike, would need to be sat upright.

I've seen the Sinnis Hoodlum

https://www.sinnismotorcycles.com/motorcycle.php?motorcycle=Sinnis%20Hoodlum

But heard bad things about the Chinese made bikes, just wondering if you guys/gals have any suggestions on makes/models?

thanks!

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:33 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: New Rider advice please Reply with quote

smashkabobs wrote:

Thing is I'm looking for a 125 cruiser style bike as due to a back injury I cant lean forwards on a sports style bike, would need to be sat upright.

How do you know you can't if you've not even done your CBT yet?

Why would a commuter bike such as a YBR 125 be considered all leant over and sporty?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:18 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, that's not exactly an Easy Rider style foggit cruiser, it's more the Suzuki GN / Honda CM style ergonomics with a straight sit-up position.

It could be lighter, but there are also heavier 125s around.

Maybe not a bad choice, if you ignore resale value and the costs of getting it serviced to maintain the, er, "warranty."

Which you shouldn't. A used YBR (or YBR Custom with a sound exhaust system) will cost less over your ownership, even if the initial price is higher.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:49 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

£1,800.

"Buy used man, buy used!"

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:09 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
£1,800.

"Buy used man, buy used!"

Why?? I almost always buy new. I've been cauht out buying second hand on a few occasions, the Divvy being the worst, and the GS was a bit iffy. Having said that, been bitten buying new, the Triumph America particularly.

A good alternative, may be buy a dealer pre-reg bike. Done that a couple of times, cheaper than new, still get the warranty, and usually has barely if any miles on the clock. I did that with my the CF, only had ~60 miles on the clock, the ST7 I did likewise, although, that had 1000 miles on the clock. Do the same with cars these days, bought the missus's car as a pre-reg, less than 100miles on the clock, and a sizeable discount off the price of it new.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:12 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

Why?? I almost always buy new.

How many 125's have you bought new?

Why - because he'll only want it for 20 minutes riding before he wakes up to the fact bigger bikes are better, in every single way, and that contrary to Teffers' insistence that time on a tiddler is never wasted, it is wasted time on a tiddler.

At which point he's got to knock it on again. Depreciation on a new bike, especially of that nature, is quite severe. Depreciation on a learner bike that's already depreciated ain't so bad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:41 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

How many 125's have you bought new?

Why - because he'll only want it for 20 minutes riding before he wakes up to the fact bigger bikes are better, in every single way, and that contrary to Teffers' insistence that time on a tiddler is never wasted, it is wasted time on a tiddler.

At which point he's got to knock it on again. Depreciation on a new bike, especially of that nature, is quite severe. Depreciation on a learner bike that's already depreciated ain't so bad.

As far as depreciation goes, possibly not, but, then there is the problem, that alot of 2nd hand 125's are ex learner bikes, that have been abused, not looked after properly .. etc

I've only ever bought 2 2nd hand 125's, and both had issues, that I would have been unlikely to get with a new bike, and before anybodty asks, 1 was a honda shadow 125, and the other a Lexmoto Arrow, that I got for my nephew, as, I'd found mine so relaible, alas, once home, it was apparent it hadn't been that well looked after. Also, it's only very recently I haven't had a 125, well, about 12-18 months. I've usually had a 125 knocking around, even when I've had the bigger bikes, and the last I got rid of, I'd had for 5 years, and lost less than £500 on it from when I bought it new, and yes, that was a chinese bike.

In fact, I'm even considering getting another 125, to stick on the motorhome, although, might even go for a 50cc for that ..

Depending on the OP ride, the 125 might be ideal, a bigger bike, might just be too much for they need it for.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:59 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Why??

You ask, "Why?" To that I ask, "Are you having a laugh?" Look at the figure: £1,850 (I did indeed write £1,800 originally). Why in the world would you invest that into a 125 cc? I had my Kwak for less than that. I couldn't for a moment recommend such a huge investment when far more sensible options are available.

I'd expected a YBR 125, for example, to be around £1,000-£1,400 and already we have anywhere between £400-800 worth of savings to put towards insurance (that will no doubt he high), tax, security and gear (putting aside: petrol, tools, service fee's etc). You don't have to get a YBR, of course, but that's I use it as an example of what is a fairly recommended, on here, 125 cc that sits between reliability and being sensibly priced.

Also because theft: I found a 13 mm chain, alongside the others I had, upset the balance of the bike. You can't properly protect them against the modern theft wave. Not only are they easy to ride but easy to get hold of. Steering locks are cheap at best and easy to snap -- even on expensive bikes -- but on a chinese 125 are, from my experience, nothing more than a bit of metal (such is the simplicity of design that the screws that fit the stop lock were easily able to be gotten at) that lower when the lock is turned. I have no qualms my previous 125 cc would have gone walkies by now if I still had it.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:31 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: New Rider advice please Reply with quote

smashkabobs wrote:
The YBR125 is the most upright riding position of any 125 bike.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:33 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:

Also because theft: I found a 13 mm chain, alongside the others I had, upset the balance of the bike. You can't properly protect them against the modern theft wave. Not only are they easy to ride but easy to get hold of. Steering locks are cheap at best and easy to snap -- even on expensive bikes -- but on a chinese 125 are, from my experience, nothing more than a bit of metal (such is the simplicity of design that the screws that fit the stop lock were easily able to be gotten at) that lower when the lock is turned. I have no qualms my previous 125 cc would have gone walkies by now if I still had it.

I refer to my previous response, yes, you can be a slave to threat of theft, but why let them win? I've had 3 bikes stolen, a CTM-125, a JL-250, a GS500, all stolen from home.. Yes, it's a pain, but hey, move on ..

Oh, and I still never use my steering lock, and, for that matter rarely even use the chain to lock the bikes up, and yes, I do leave my bikes parked in Birmingham on occasion.

That might well be less than you've paid for your Kwak, but, they are hardly comparable bikes.

I would never buy a 2nd 125 again, unless, I knew the original owner, as, invariably, most 125's are learner bikes, and that learner status, does not just include riding it, it also includes learning about maintenance, or, lack off, what ahppens when said maintenance is done wrong. Heck, even my stepson, with his 650, still can't be bothered with maintenance, hence why he has a shaft drive bike, and no exposed suspension.

Here's a good reason why I wouldn't buy a used 125, far more chance this sort of thing has happened to it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1T4tjw2bu0

And.. go back to the OP, what does he want a bike for, is it for a 20 mile round trip commute? If so, a 125 is ample, and he may never want to go to anything larger. Afterall, really, anything above a 250 is wasted on a 20 mile round trip commute.

Ultimately, it's upto the OP, if he can afford it, and it's the bike he wants, then as far as I'm concerned, he should go for it.

If he's not in any rush, he, might even want to hang on until, say the Evoke Urban S electric motorbike, 11KW, but with a top speed of over 80mph, is ready for sale in Spring ..

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:42 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most things cost a tenner to fix on a 125, if you get a 'good runner' you should be fine. Also you don't need to go full sons of anarchy for an upright riding position.

Sinnis are probably the best of the Chinese makes but that's like saying Rolf Harris is the best of the celebrity paedos. Buy a second hand Jap' 125, get yourself a manual for it and a basic socket set, spend the grand you've saved on strippers and coke.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:30 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
I refer to my previous response, yes, you can be a slave to threat of theft, but why let them win? I've had 3 bikes stolen, a CTM-125, a JL-250, a GS500, all stolen from home.. Yes, it's a pain, but hey, move on ..

Oh, and I still never use my steering lock, and, for that matter rarely even use the chain to lock the bikes up, and yes, I do leave my bikes parked in Birmingham on occasion.

I don't really think you've got the hang of how keeping hold of them works.

linuxyeti wrote:
That might well be less than you've paid for your Kwak, but, they are hardly comparable bikes.

More, not less: £1800 is more than I paid for the Kwak.

My comparison is made to highlight how for such a vast amount of amount of money one could have a bike that offers far more in every area hence why I then, in my second post, went on to state what I consider a more reasonable investment.

linuxyeti wrote:
And.. go back to the OP, what does he want a bike for, is it for a 20 mile round trip commute? If so, a 125 is ample, and he may never want to go to anything larger. Afterall, really, anything above a 250 is wasted on a 20 mile round trip commute.

I'll take that as not addressed to me directly given that if it is you're converting with yourself because at no point have I recommended a bigger bike.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:05 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:

I don't really think you've got the hang of how keeping hold of them works.

Laughing Laughing I like the variety it enforces !! Ha ! To be fair, it's been a few years since I had 1 stolen

NJD wrote:

More, not less: £1800 is more than I paid for the Kwak.

Yep, you're right, freudian slip on my part there

NJD wrote:

My comparison is made to highlight how for such a vast amount of amount of money one could have a bike that offers far more in every area hence why I then, in my second post, went on to state what I consider a more reasonable investment.

Why do you consider a bike an investment, it's a tool, or a toy, possibly both, very very rarely is it an investment, something like a limited edition Norton, maybe, but, then, I imagine, most of those sold rarely if ever get ridden.

NJD wrote:

I'll take that as not addressed to me directly given that if it is you're converting with yourself because at no point have I recommended a bigger bike.

Yep, that was a point in general, as there have been other posts stating the OP will want to change the bike to a larger bike, which is anything but a given !!

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:29 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Why do you consider a bike an investment, it's a tool, or a toy, possibly both, very very rarely is it an investment, something like a limited edition Norton, maybe, but, then, I imagine, most of those sold rarely if ever get ridden.

By dictionary definition, sure.

My use of the word investment was done so in a broad sense -- perhaps too broad -- and I simply meant to imply the parting of money for a return in a product. Perhaps purchase would have been more suitable.

On the definition of investment however it's use is relevant in terms of that £1850 125 cc would be a loss the moment it rolled out the showroom. I'd imagine most bikes are almost always the same when purchased form new but, again, based on past experience I've seen how fast, even with care and money spent on them, a 125 cc can deteriorate and how problematic they can be. I've always advised never spending more than is needed on either a 125 cc on the whole, as a first bike, or chinese 125 cc's in particular - because of past experience.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:23 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
........based on past experience I've seen how fast, even with care and money spent on them, a 125 cc can deteriorate and how problematic they can be. I've always advised never spending more than is needed on either a 125 cc on the whole, as a first bike, or chinese 125 cc's in particular - because of past experience.

I have to say, as far as the Chinese 125's I've owned, that hasn't been the case.

The CTM-125, before it was stolen, over 20K miles (not KM), only thing replaced, clutch cable, 1 set of tyres

The Arrow, before I swapped it, for the Divvy, 15K miles, only thing down on that, disconnected the side stand switch, and changed the plug cap to NGK. - That was such mistake.

Skyteam V-Raptor, stored outside, for 5 years, only work, disconnected the side stand switch, changed the plug cap to NGK, and had to replace a spoke on the rear wheel, again, over 20K miles on it.

So, overall, I'd say, based on your definition of an inverstment, they've worked out pretty well.

Now then, take the America, that's a different story again, bought from new ..

Problems never fixed, the random cutting out, despite them remapping the ecu.
The wiring loom bust, I traced it to a very poor connection, fixed that myself.
Really bad corrosion.

It got to the stage, where I just couldn't enjoy riding it, so over the 4 years I had it, I only covered ~20K miles, and, lost over £3000 when I sold it on..

Best 2nd hand bike I bought, a 2 year old VTX1300, had it 5 years, and when I sold that, barely lost any money, despite adding 30K miles on it.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 15:23 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: New Rider advice please Reply with quote

smashkabobs wrote:
Possible mid life crisis time but I'm set on taking my CBT in the new few weeks and getting myself on a 125 for commuting,

125's are excelent Learner / Commuters.. but the '/' s an OR not an AND.
You want to learn.. go learn
WHEN you have learned, then you 'may' wish to think about commuting.

IF.. you have the confidence to commute.. you can pass tests! That's all they ask you to do! Once! For half an hour! Get from one side of town to the other, not even in in peak traffic, and do so without breaking any road laws of getting yourself or any-one ecle killed along the way!

Think about this... the commute is the most dangerous hazard strewn riding you can tackle, (ad you are planning to start tackling it in the worst weather, in autumn & winter when its dark, and the rads are greasy!) with umpety hundred half awake car drivers gnawing on the steering wheel contemplating another round of awkward customers, idiot bosses or dumb collegues, not really anything on the road anyway, and certainly NOT watchig out for BIKES.. hint they, and if you do it currently in a car, you are probably just as guilty, look for 'car' or 'no-car'.. and 'no-car' means 'gap' not 'gap in which a motorbike may be!' Oh Dear... Sorry Mate I did't See You... you have just become a SMIDSY... and that over-chromed, over-weight, Sons-of-Apathy Chinese 125 has just become rather less brochure worthy......

Your 'plan' as it stands is rather like wanting to learn to SCUBA dive, but a little nervouse of the water, rather than taking a week off work, going out to Turkey or some other warm clime and doing a course.... buying a kids snorkel and mask and jumping in the sharktank at the local sealife-centre... at feeding time!

Do you want to re-think it a little perhaps?

Next up.. the BIKE... yeah.. thats your goal, what you want to ride, so what you stick right at the top of the list... turn it around, its actually the LAST thing you need.

CBT is the first. Its a little learning, and maybe after you will take time to ponder your plan.... and you might twigg that you mght want to prioratise a ittle more training, some decent riding gear, some useful 'security' and a some 'planned maintenance' into the 'plan'.... ahead of 'the bike'...

And the IF you are deturmied to comute, by bike on a regular basis, get your confidence FIRST by learning to ride.. and get a LICENCE... then... then you may re-consider what bike you wish to commute on...

Like I say, 125's can be great Learner/Commuters.. but that's an 'or' not an 'and', and once you have doe your learning, that high new bike depreciation on an over dressed Sons-of-Apathy 125 might be a bit of a bitter pill to bear, even though it possibly might offer cheap wheels as long as its given all the maintenance it demands, but licenced up, you are allowed to ride a 'proppa-choppa', if that's your bag, or anything else, if thats what you really want.

But, your call.

The Yamaha YBR125 is the bench-mark 125 Learner/Commuter. Its made in China, but to Japanese QC standards. It has the full quota of barely adequete performance a learner-licence allows; it's onging maintenance demands, as in services every 1000miles is an eye opener for many car drvers usd to drive it till it dies car mantenance, but it's still a lot less onerouse than most Chinky bult bikes intended for low-labour cost developng Asian markets, and it suffers last from new-bike dpreciation in the UK. All in, its a heck of a lot of biking for your money, whether for learning OR commuting..

But your call... if you have a Sons of Apathy fantacy n your head and have to have the Sinnis to fullfill it on the way to work... that's all that you will consider in your 'plan'.... isn't it?

Otherwise, for now, forget the bike! Last thing you need. Worry about the LEARNING.. and a 125 may be a useful tool in that, BUT the daily commute probably ISN'T!.... go do your CBT.. get a 'little' learning, it is only the first lesson... then think long and hard about your plan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:17 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to rate that Helpful. Was it Helpful? That doesn't feel right.

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:07 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aged 55, I did DAS and for my £1800 I bought a cruiser, a '96 VIRAGO 750CC however watching the Sinnis video in the OPs link makes me lol much.......

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:09 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I spotted the perfect bike for the OP today:
https://i62.servimg.com/u/f62/15/13/82/47/autist10.jpg

That's err... really something.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:59 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Naw, I raise ye by one.

https://s1.postimg.org/5vub40iq0f/ZX2.jpg

Dug that one out of the archives.

Diskotekno
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:47 - 27 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnnythefox wrote:
Aged 55, I did DAS and for my £1800 I bought a cruiser, a '96 VIRAGO 750CC however watching the Sinnis video in the OPs link makes me lol much.......

Just looked at the vid. Oh dear. That will look so badass with the L plates on it. Razz

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:46 - 27 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hadn't watched the video - I think Sinnis may have got their inspiration from here:-

https://vimeo.com/115733204

Good that they don't take themselves too seriously Thumbs Up

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:57 - 27 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

But more seriously for the OP, get the CBT done and think about the ride whilst you are on it. I booked onto a DAS, half intending to just get a 125 afterwards because they are cheap to run. Once we'd got out of town and the "OMG I'M GONNA DIE AT THIS BUSY ROUNDABOUT" phase of the ride, I relaxed and thought about what was actually going on. That we were on a nice open countryside A road doing 40mph, yet if I turned the throttle nothing really happened. Climbing a steep hill over the south downs it was a struggle to keep it going at a reasonable pace.
At that point I knew I'd done the right thing going straight for DAS as I'd not be happy on a 125.

Mrs Bamt had more trouble. Poor planning (and being a teacher so only school holidays available for tests) meant that she did her CBT at the start of summer, but couldn't get a theory spot until the end, which meant DAS had to wait until the October half term. However, she got a 125 (YBR Custom - she likes the cruiser style) and absolutely loved it except for how slow it was after a couple of weeks. She still looks back on it fondly, but wouldn't have another - her 250 Virago is just about powerful enough.

So, don't commit yourself to getting a 125 until you've done your CBT, and on the CBT think carefully about if you'll really be happy with the limited power once you've got used to being on a bike.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:41 - 28 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
M.C wrote:

Naw, I raise ye by one.

https://s1.postimg.org/5vub40iq0f/ZX2.jpg

Dug that one out of the archives.

A guy at work had one of them Very Happy

B Button
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:22 - 02 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked at the Suzuki Van Van? I too have an iffy spine but found the riding position relaxed and comfortable - I'm 6"1". It's quick enough away at the lights not to be an embarrassment. Downsides are low top speed - strains to reach over 50, 60 only downhill and following wind; also the agricultural gearbox.
Having said that, i'd go with the consensus on the Forum to go the DAS route and get where you want that much quicker and cheaper.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 138 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1