Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

So, this Addblu stuff...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:38 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: So, this Addblu stuff... Reply with quote

It turns out my new van takes it. I only found out when it threatened to go on strike unless I topped the stuff up.

Now, I had noticed a nasty acrid smell from the exhaust but had assumed this was it burning off some sort of paint or coating with it being a brand new van.

Looking into it, addblu is basically urea mixed with water that gets injected into the exhaust system. It reacts with the nitrogen oxide to form ammonia. The ammonia is then passed over the catalytic converter and broken down into nitorgen and water.

So far, so good. But as I recall, a cat only works properly if it's hot (like really hot). This would explain the nasty odour on startup. It's ammonia.

The other feature of this van is it kills the engine when you stop. I can't see how this is going to keep the cat up to tempertature.

So, we're converting nitrogen oxid (which is relatively nasty) into ammonia (which is definately very nasty) and relying on a hot cat to convert it while at the same time fitting a system which kills the engine any time you stop in traffic, thereby preventing the cat from heating up properly.

So I'm awaiting the incoming ground level ammonia scandal due to the mandatory euro 6 emissions defeat system? Or am I missing something?

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:40 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the bright side, could you not just refill it by having a piss? Smile
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:52 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
On the bright side, could you not just refill it by having a piss? Smile

That's what I thought... darnit Ninja'd.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:57 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: So, this Addblu stuff... Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
So I'm awaiting the incoming ground level ammonia scandal due to the mandatory euro 6 emissions defeat system? Or am I missing something?

Although it's been a decade since we met I believe it's because you're not a city dweller.

Cities have homelessness problems. Homeless people use the streets as toilets and as a result many city streets stink of hobo urine and poo (San Francisco has such a big problem there is an app for it https://mochimachine.org/wasteland/).

So when the next scandal comes along... nah mate it's just all those hobos drinking special brew and peeing on the streets, nuffink to do with vehicle emissions.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 13:03 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you not just fill it with any old shite?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:33 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: So, this Addblu stuff... Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
The other feature of this van is it kills the engine when you stop.

Can't you disable start/stop?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:11 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: So, this Addblu stuff... Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:
The other feature of this van is it kills the engine when you stop.

Can't you disable start/stop?

I've never driven one but would think its horrendous. Does the engine stop only when it's out of gear or something?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:22 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Re: So, this Addblu stuff... Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

I've never driven one but would think its horrendous. Does the engine stop only when it's out of gear or something?

Out of gear, clutch up - ish. Stick the clutch down and it'd fire straight back up.

Didn't like it; disabled it immediately. Much like everything else on all the new cars I've driven, including but not limited to e-braking, hill start assist, blind spot sensors, lane position sensors, 'intelligent' 4wd and any other pointless guff.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:39 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a start/stop Clio estate as a hire car in the South of France. Do not want. Hated it doing things by itself. Have some kind
of hill start assist in the Transit. It's switched off. Funnily enough, as a holder of a full UK driving licence for many years
I can cope with starting from a standstill on a hill. Who on earth needs all this rubbish on cars and stuff in order to get around successfully?

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:03 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Who on earth needs all this rubbish on cars and stuff in order to get around successfully?

You ever wonder why on a bag of peanuts there are warnings on it stating

"May contain nuts."

It's for people like this.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:30 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

On euro 6 vehicles, stop-start is on by default. It can be switched off but turns itself back on again every time you start the engine. It's a touch screen to turn it off. It HAS left me stuck out into junctions a couple of times. Mostly when I was about to stop, the stop-start began to kick-in but then I decided to go again. Cue large van coming to a clattering halt two feet onto a roundabout.

Apparently you could just bung water in the addblu tank on Euro 5 vehicles but some reading around implies the Euro 6 will eventually have a tantrum and go into limp mode if you do.

They are also mandated to point blank refuse to start if they run out of addblu.

Not just vans. My Dads Jag F-pace also has addblu.

None of this however, is the most annoying thing. The MOST annoying thing is the ignition needs to be fully on (along with the blowers, central console nag-screen and euro-mandated driving lights) in order to listen to the radio.

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:36 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hill start assist is ok but on my Ducato it only works half the time so you can never trust it. It has traction+ which is a total waste of time, even with the knobbly tyres it is absolutely hopeless. Apart from that it is basic which I like. Had a new Transit for a bit and it had some weird "feature" where it would rev the engine as you let the clutch out. Not sure what it was trying to achieve but I stalled a few times too many in the first few weeks whilst I was getting used to it.

Vracktal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:33 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely hate modern 'driver aids' on cars. I don't need my car to revmatch for me. I don't need my car to do hill starts for me. I don't need my car to emergency brake for me. I don't need my car to call 999 for me if it thinks i've been in a crash. I don't need my car to beep if it thinks i'm near a wall while parking. I don't need my car to cut power to the wheels if it thinks i've lost traction. I don't need my car to tell me if it thinks there's something in my blind spot. I don't need my car to turn my high-beams on and off for me. I don't need my car to beep if it thinks i'm drifting out of my lane on the motorway. I don't need my car to turn on the wipers for me if it thinks it's raining. I don't need my car to automatically apply the handbrake for me. I don't need my car to tell me the speed limit.

Half this stuff is solutions in search of a problem anyway.

It's all just stuff that i'll have to switch off constantly until it inevitably breaks five years later.

https://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/hitlerparody/images/4/49/HitlerPencilThrowGIF.gif/revision/latest?cb=20110901130348

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:53 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vracktal wrote:
I don't need my car to call 999 for me if it thinks i've been in a crash.

Inb4 Vracktal found dead 6 weeks after going missing because he was rendered unconscious after a freak accident in the wild where he swerved to avoid a squirrel and lefft the road.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:07 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
On euro 6 vehicles, stop-start is on by default. It can be switched off but turns itself back on again every time you start the engine. It's a touch screen to turn it off. It HAS left me stuck out into junctions a couple of times. Mostly when I was about to stop, the stop-start began to kick-in but then I decided to go again. Cue large van coming to a clattering halt two feet onto a roundabout.

How did that happen? Eh? I've only driven a couple of vehicles with start/stop but it works as arry describes; when you release the clutch with the vehicle out of gear.

Irn-Bru wrote:
Hill start assist is ok but on my Ducato it only works half the time so you can never trust it. It has traction+ which is a total waste of time, even with the knobbly tyres it is absolutely hopeless. Apart from that it is basic which I like. Had a new Transit for a bit and it had some weird "feature" where it would rev the engine as you let the clutch out. Not sure what it was trying to achieve but I stalled a few times too many in the first few weeks whilst I was getting used to it.

The hill assist on the work van (Transit) normally* only works on really steep inclines, and doesn't always kick in the same situation. We have a steep ramp exiting the car park, and most of the time it'll kick in (about the only time it does), occasionally it doesn't which sums up my problem with driver aids (inconsistent performance).

The vans also have traction control which just kill the power at the first hint of wheel spin (when pulling away) so you stall Clapping Although my car has TC that doesn't kill the power on vigorous starts so I leave it on. Probably not necessary on a 1.6L petrol tho' Very Happy

*One van in our fleet has the hill assist kick in all the time, even when pulling away on normal inclines Confused It makes it feel like the clutch's slipping.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 23 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

We call it sheep piss at work.

Vile shite when some nugget spills it on the yard it leaves an unpleasant crystalline layer that is slippery as hell.

My last place we had one tit put it in the screen wash. Expensive mistake. Another put it in the diesel tank..... very, very expensive mistake.

Some marques use piping that is too thin on the adblu system and it bungs up the piping leading to costly repairs (MAN trucks Middle Finger )

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:44 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

How did that happen? Eh? I've only driven a couple of vehicles with start/stop but it works as arry describes; when you release the clutch with the vehicle out of gear.

Approach roundabout, slip into neutral from second as coming to a halt, start-stop starts to kick in, decide can go again, dip clutch and back into second (as still rolling clightly) clutch back out, stalls as was in the process of starting.

Mine also has hill start assist. It works so intermittantly it is entirely redundant as there is no way of knowing if and when it will kick in. I also have to do a small shunt when turning up into my drive (didn't in the vito, it was RWD and had a much better turning circle). I usually drive up, dip the clutch to roll back a couple of feet then drive in the rest of the way. Some days you can, some days it puts the brake on and you have to pop it into neutral (making sure you ride the clutch so it doesn't stop-start).

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:05 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an odd one as it should only cut out when the vehicle is entirely at a standstill. If you were still rolling, it shouldn't have happened.

As for hill start assist - garbage thing it is - it's problem amplified when you've got an electronic handbrake (why over-complicate things unnecessarily?) Which you then can't regulate like a normal handbrake and the assist decides it's not going to kick in.

Or worse, does kick in, and then the light on the dash starts flashing to let you know it's about to cut off again - of course you're not looking at the dash you're looking for a gap to pull out into. Stupid thing.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:29 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adblue is a right PITA. Our A5 uses it and the worst thing is the cost, we get massively ripped off for it over here compared to mainland Europe. Near on impossible to find on pump over here so it's £14 for 10 litres from Halfords. Every other fuel station in Holland and many in France have it on pump for literally pennies per litre.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:04 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Electronic handbrakes Shocked

Why oh why has some stupid twat come up with those. The one I drove I was never sure the damn thing was working. I ended up leaving the car in gear all the time I parked it and I never got hill starts mastered with the stupid thing.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:15 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Electronic handbrakes Shocked

Why oh why has some stupid twat come up with those. The one I drove I was never sure the damn thing was working. I ended up leaving the car in gear all the time I parked it and I never got hill starts mastered with the stupid thing.

You should see Mercs.

The hand brake isn't a hand brake at all. It's a foot pedal tucked where the clutch should be. To release it you have to use your right hand where the mirror adjusters normally are.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:28 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

You should see Mercs.

The hand brake isn't a hand brake at all. It's a foot pedal tucked where the clutch should be. To release it you have to use your right hand where the mirror adjusters normally are.

I quite like those though, my vito had the same system. No hand brake, it's just a parking brake operated with your left foot. For hill starts, the foot brake can be pushed down past the point it bites then slowly lets itself up again. Takes about a second in reality which is plenty of time to get off the brake and on the throttle in a hill start.

Thing is, it's very predictable with a positive action, you can feel when you've applied it. Flows well when driving and in combination with the bulkhead mounted gearshift, makes a very clear footwell without a gearstick or handbrake in the way.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:12 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

I quite like those though, my vito had the same system. No hand brake, it's just a parking brake operated with your left foot. For hill starts, the foot brake can be pushed down past the point it bites then slowly lets itself up again. Takes about a second in reality which is plenty of time to get off the brake and on the throttle in a hill start.

Thing is, it's very predictable with a positive action, you can feel when you've applied it. Flows well when driving and in combination with the bulkhead mounted gearshift, makes a very clear footwell without a gearstick or handbrake in the way.

I miss my Vito foot brake - at least the boxer has it on the right of the driver's seat (Because; race-car!... or more, as I've got two single seats and no bulkhead, can easily get up and walk through to the back - if need be getting out of the rear or side doors; which is useful because it's really wide.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:33 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Merc has auto on off, and being an automatic it turns off whenever you come to a standstill and you have your foot on the brake.
It fires up as soon as you lift off the brake or hit the accelerator (it also has a brake assist thing where once stopped you give the brake pedal a further poke and the foot brake locks on until you hit the accelerator or the brake pedal again), or turn the steering wheel (requiring the power steering to work).
It just works seamlessly and has never caused me any delay or hesitancy. If you really want to race someone off the lights there is a handy button on the dash to disable it.

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:55 - 24 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had an XC90 on loan from Sixt which had every electronic toy in the universe imaginable installed

Automatic handbrake was dangerous, everytime the car stopped the handbrake would apply even just reversing out of a space an goign through traffic

Are people to think to use manual controls now?

Some gadgets are useful, like radar controlled cruise control
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 157 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3