BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CBR 125 - Hard engine brake / bad throttle response

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:49 - 26 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no filter as such Nobby. It's a gauze filter and a cunt.to get it. Impact driver needed. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:09 - 26 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
There's no filter as such Nobby. It's a gauze filter and a cunt.to get it. Impact driver needed. Thumbs Up

I have an impact drive and a feck=off hammer.

Will be going in the car so will be bringing my Ste with me.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:44 - 27 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It failed the MOT on 16th February for the following reasons:
Reason(s) for failure
Drive chain excessively loose (6.2.1d)
Drive chain worn to excess (6.2.1e)
Drive chain sprocket worn to excess (6.2.1e)
Front Tyre tread depth is below minimum requirements of 1.0mm (4.1.3(ii))
Rear suspension fouling which affects the movement of the rear suspension Exhaust system catching rear caliper when suspension moves (2.4.A.3a)
Front Roller brake test indicates a binding brake (3.3.A1a)

It passed on the 24th February and had 24,136 miles on the clock.

How many miles has it done now?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:49 - 27 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please check the strainer... there have been a few cases of cam bearings, mine included, getting lunched at around 20k. Sick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JaniHun123
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:08 - 27 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your answer guys.
The mileage is at 28727 right now but when i bought the bike the speedo cable was not working which means it also didnt count miles.
To check the strainer it needs to get the side panel removed but then all the oil would come out and i have only bought 1L. I have got some new oil but that is not the same type and that is for a car, i dont know if i can just use 300ml of that then?
Its not the same oil. (the one i bought is 10w30 but the oil i got left isnt the same).
I would check the strainer and i can check it if i can just use the other type of oil to fill the other 300ml.
(I was reading somewhere if i drain the oil without standing the bike up then 1 liter will come out and 300ml will stay.)

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:46 - 27 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I popped in on my way home from work.

The chain is excessively stretched. I will be shortening it tomorrow, because 1) it'll be safer the correct length, 2) if it were going to snap it'll have done it when the slack got taken up on acceleration or braking 3) the guy no doubt will still ride it until he gets a new C/S and 4) to be frank I've ridden worse.

Half of one footpeg is missing and the rear tyre is near the limit but the real horror story are the front forks.

Admittedly there's no sign of any leakage, but thats probably because all the oil escaped a number of years ago.

One dust seal has corrosion round the outside of it. I found the other one up by the yoke.....

Edit: It started easily on one prod of the starter and ticked over quite nicely. It didn't seem to pick up that quickly when revved, but 1) its a small single, not a massive triple/four and 2) there's an incredible amount of slack in the throttle cable. At least it matches the chain....

Last edited by Nobby the Bastard on 13:00 - 27 Oct 2017; edited 1 time in total

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:47 - 27 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaniHun123 wrote:

(I was reading somewhere if i drain the oil without standing the bike up then 1 liter will come out and 300ml will stay.)

I have paddock stands and will bring some 20w50 that I have in the garage....

JaniHun123
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:45 - 27 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

I have paddock stands and will bring some 20w50 that I have in the garage....

That would be great, thank you. Smile
I am using the bike like 10-15 minutes a day for now, just to get to my place (where you were today) and home. But half of that time is just sitting and waiting for the light Very Happy
I have checked prices for two front forks, that would cost 300 pounds. Ouch.
I will see what can i do with that.
I will order new footpegs from ebay and fit it so it will go through on MOT hopefully. But next MOT is due February. For that time i can even re-build the half of the bike. (I can work from December.)
Thanks again for coming over and helping me out. Smile

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:04 - 27 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can just replace the seals on the forks. The top of the forks by the yokes are a nit rusty (but probably salvageable) but the chrome looked okay where it matters.

At worst some stantions will be the solution.

JaniHun123
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:34 - 27 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
You can just replace the seals on the forks.

I have found a fork seals for 13 pounds on eBay.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALL-BALLS-FORK-OIL-SEAL-KIT-FITS-HONDA-CBR125-2004-2012/131304550256?hash=item1e925c6f70:g:HIMAAOSwDk5UIpW5

I was setting my throttle up that you said, it feels a lot comfortable like this. (There is a very small freeplay now.).
I just needed an 8 size (i think) wrench to move the bolt.
I am looking to get a 17/42 sprocket kit with a chain, is it worth it? (15/42 standard)

Thanks Smile

Edit.: I was looking the footpegs too but they cost 20+ pounds for a pair. I think i will leave that for a little bit later.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:33 - 27 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaniHun123 wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:
You can just replace the seals on the forks.

I have found a fork seals for 13 pounds on eBay.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALL-BALLS-FORK-OIL-SEAL-KIT-FITS-HONDA-CBR125-2004-2012/131304550256?hash=item1e925c6f70:g:HIMAAOSwDk5UIpW5

I was setting my throttle up that you said, it feels a lot comfortable like this. (There is a very small freeplay now.).
I just needed an 8 size (i think) wrench to move the bolt.
I am looking to get a 17/42 sprocket kit with a chain, is it worth it? (15/42 standard)

Thanks Smile

Edit.: I was looking the footpegs too but they cost 20+ pounds for a pair. I think i will leave that for a little bit later.

A 17/42 sprocket set will give you a higher top speed at the expense of acceleration. Is the bike getting to max revs relatively easily in top gear?

JaniHun123
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:37 - 27 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

A 17/42 sprocket set will give you a higher top speed at the expense of acceleration. Is the bike getting to max revs relatively easily in top gear?

In top gears i am not sure, but it can get to about 9-10k in 6th gear and its doing about 70 that time.
The first gear is very short, the second one seems good already.
Is it more worth to get acceleration than top speed? It cant do more than 70 right now under me.

Edit.: I am reading on another forum a few people went with -1/+2 (14/44) and it was a lot better that way. 1st to 3rd gear is almost instantly over he said and he used 4-5 in city and it makes the 6th useable.

Edit2: btw After about 50-55 the rev is going up slowly but it gets to 70, no more.

Edit3: i was messaging the seller and he told me that this kit is a 14/44 set. Its a DID chain and "2 x High Quality (C45) Carbon Steel Sprockets"
It will cost 45 pounds.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CBR125R-2004-10-DID-GOLD-OE-Chain-Sprocket-Kit-FREE-LUBE/182194723623?epid=1239174844&hash=item2a6ba6db27:g:dAwAAOSwPcVVqAMU

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:55 - 27 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, 6th gear is useless. Don't use it unless you are sustaining high speeds continuously down a hill. 5th will max the bike out, 6th will just make it happier when flying downhill, but it'll drop your speed if you are on the flat.

Don't expect to see more than an indicated 80. Out of all 4 of mine with me tucked in and flying down the M2, I saw 83 on the speedo and it was pretty much all the power it could give.

A correct chain and sprocket set (stock) is all you need. Changing it will just ruin the experience.

JaniHun123
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:30 - 27 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey.
Thanks for you answer Smile
I have checked my idle rpm now by the way, it seems good. It sits a little bit above 1500 but its not that hot. Its about after 5-10 minutes of riding. (Picture attached, you can see how hot it is there.)
I have adjusted the throttle as Nobby said i should fix that, i love it. I dont even want a car anymore, lol. The difference is like earth and ground. It can even accelerate faster, but i havent tried it too hard because of my chain. I dont really want to snap it. Very Happy

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:05 - 28 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

And so things went better than expected until I found this whilst thrying to figure out why the wheel spindle was taking an inordinate amount of time to tighten...

https://i.imgur.com/KE1H6GI.jpg

The nut was the same. Fowler's or ebay job, I reckon, depending on how much replacements from fowlers will cost.

Where's the dust seal?

https://i.imgur.com/1WQucVA.jpg

Ah, there it is...

https://i.imgur.com/7ndBZtR.jpg

Much to my amazement, bearing in mind that the stanchions were bone dry, there is a goodly amount of oil still the in the fork legs. Only the dust seals need replacing. I gave the top of the stanchions a good dosing of ACF 50.

I managed to get the casing off without ruining the gasket. Here is my assistant cleaning the gasket in situ to ensure a good seal.

https://i.imgur.com/j8AHoxg.jpg

Good call on the taking the strainer out, Paddy.

https://i.imgur.com/D3p8Vjn.jpg

Back together. I donated some coolant which I just happened to have in the garage rather that the rusty looking shite that came out.

https://i.imgur.com/cDB7GFP.jpg

monkeyman
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:54 - 28 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair play for helping this guy out

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:04 - 28 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

monkeyman wrote:
Fair play for helping this guy out

Marm had a go at my sheared off chain tightener, Smiler lent me his dremel and Ste put up with me turning up on his doorstep at midnight pissed the day baby Irving was born.

What goes around, comes around.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:09 - 28 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fowlers will do a spindle for £19.43 and a nut for £2.21.

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/4827565/cbr125r5-2005-e/rear-wheel

I go to college about 5 minutes walk from there...

JaniHun123
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:44 - 28 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Fowlers will do a spindle for £19.43 and a nut for £2.21.

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/4827565/cbr125r5-2005-e/rear-wheel

I go to college about 5 minutes walk from there...

Thank you for the link Smile I will look into it!

JaniHun123
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:57 - 29 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone.
I want to thanks to Nobby he came over yesterday and helped me doing an oil change and filter cleaning and adjusting my chain, also for giving me some chain lubrication for free! Also he found that my rear spindle needs changing and for donating me some coolant. He also checked my front forks, they have still got oil but the seals are broken.

At night i was checked the bike and sometimes it gave a weird sound. Alright i said no worries it will go with some time.
Today i was coming to my place (living about 2 roads from here) and was giving the bike some speed. (40-45). At the end of the road i was slowing down to take my turn and when i released the clutch another weird sound appeard. I think this is related to the sound before. If i release my clutch, the engine gives a weird rattling sound, if i engage it, it goes. So something is wrong with the clutch inside the engine then.

When we were putting the gasket (gasket? not sure) back then somethig from the clutch (?) fell off from the gasket and we were putting it back but i am not sure what was that.

Anyone got ideas? The sound is coming from the thing we taken off.

Thanks!

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:09 - 30 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes clutches rattle when they are pulled. When you let the clutch out the noise goes away, that's a good sign.

Sounds like it's in better condition than it has ever been. Thumbs Up

JaniHun123
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:13 - 30 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey.
Thanks for your answer.
This is different, it rattles when i release the clutch and doesnt when i pull it. And it is very loud.

Edit.: I have started the bike now, it still gives that weird sound. Giving it a bit rev (3k or so) and its stalled. Now it cant even start up.. I have no idea what is that.
I have googled and some people had these problems with the clutch but none of them was this loud and mine cant even start up now.

Edit2.: I have started it up but it still gives that loud sound and it feels weak. (I havent ride the bike to check it, just tried to give a little bit of rev in neutral).
I was reading on other forums a lot of people had rattling sound problems with their bike and they just had to replace the clutch, but the sound for me just appeard yesterday and there was nothing like that before.. When i was coming home and after a turn its just started rattling.. no idea.

JaniHun123
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:34 - 30 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the sound came from the gasket 1-2 days before it started rattling.
You can mostly hear it at about 10 seconds but cannot after that.

Edit.: I was starting up the bike and waiting a bit and the sound is gone. It may be worn clutch then? I was coming home with the bike and it rides nicely. I have no idea what was that sound

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:16 - 30 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaniHun123 wrote:

Edit.: I was starting up the bike and waiting a bit and the sound is gone. It may be worn clutch then? I was coming home with the bike and it rides nicely. I have no idea what was that sound

Maybe it's just the engine warming up then? I assume Nobby checked the oil level?

JaniHun123
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:06 - 30 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
JaniHun123 wrote:

Maybe it's just the engine warming up then? I assume Nobby checked the oil level?

Yes he checked the oil level, that is fine. I checked it also.
It havent warm-up in that time (2-3 minutes) but its gone. I just released the clutch (so it gave the rattling sound) and revved it up a little bit. (6-7k maybe) and its gone. I think the clutch is worn already and its moving? Will see it with time.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 179 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3