Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Riding buddies

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Lochlassie
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:18 - 30 Oct 2017    Post subject: Riding buddies Reply with quote

Hiya I'm just getting back to biking, mid life crisis me thinks, but I was wondering if there are any other learners in the area (Renfrewshire) who are up for a wee ride n compare faults etc lol Very Happy

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:21 - 30 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahoy. You could try joining the Scotch sub forum, although it's mostly folk saying "How come we never go on ride outs any more?"

Where are you at in your re-learning? Zipping around on a 125? Are you planning to get licensed up sooner or later?

Lochlassie
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:06 - 30 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya, yeah I'm planning on sitting my test soon as my CBT runs out in August. Passed my theory so just gotta get the lessons underway. Where will I find the Scottish sub forum? I'm a bit of a techno twat lol Smile

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:13 - 30 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need more karma iirc - i.e. dem blobs. Are you on the blob? he asked, with nary an arched eyebrow in sight. Once you get more posts and/or karma, I believe the hallowed portals of the regional fora open like a lush rose bud, beckoning to be entered.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:45 - 30 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh, I never knew that. I was doubtless blobbed within half an hour of joining though. Razz

This should be the signup page for it: https://www.bikechatforums.com/groupcp.php?g=3037

...although to be honest you're as well chatting here or in General.

Are you intending to do your training over the winter? It'll certainly be quieter and I'm convinced that you get some brownie points just for showing up at the test centre if it's tipping it down (or in the tail end of a blizzard in my case).

If you're doing the tests at Shieldhall, they have (or had) a rager on for unmarked junctions and crossroads, which you should treat as a give-way even if it looks like you're on a major road being joined by a minor.

Lochlassie
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:08 - 30 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked lol thanks guys you can see I've not got a clue about this. I went into bike-it in paisley where I did my CBT to ask about lessons and test. They gave me a form with prices on. Is there a separate test centre or do they put me thru the test? Yup I'm blonde lol Very Happy

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:38 - 30 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Bike-It are pretty good, or at least were.

They do a good variety of PAYG, blocks of lessons, or an "as much as you need" deal. A workmate who wasn't too confident used that and they really did put a lot of time into preparing him for his tests.

The test centre is in Shieldhall in Glasgow, you'll do both test modules there. If you go with Bike-It then they'll prepare you for the routes.

The other thing you can do is go ahead and just book module 1 yourself on your own 125 (A1 light bike mod 1). It doesn't get you closer to a full licence, but it's only £15.50 to have a go as a practice exercise. The content is exactly the same for a 125 or a 600, and the layout is much the same at every test centre.

There are plenty of decent YouTube videos on it, both DVSA ones and rider videos like this one.

You can fail it easily on a dabbed foot down or a cone nudge, but there's nothing really hard in it. Test nerves are probably the biggest problem, which is why having a go yourself might save you a fair bit of time and money later.

What are you riding at the moment?

Oh, while I remember, I apologise for Teflon-Mike in advance. You'll doubtless see why.

Lochlassie
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:39 - 30 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for all the info. Who is Teflon mike? Very Happy
I am driving a wee Chinese import lol but its a nice size n nice riding position so it'll do for now.
I did my CBT at bike it. They seemed a nice bunch. I'm just building up the courage to go for lessons now lol

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:22 - 30 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lochlassie wrote:
Who is Teflon mike? Very Happy

That's twice his name has been said. Once more is the charm.

Lochlassie wrote:
I am driving a wee Chinese import lol

We're not universally down on them, I've had two and would buy Chinese branded again at the right price. What's your particular flavour of take-away?

Lochlassie wrote:
I did my CBT at bike it. They seemed a nice bunch. I'm just building up the courage to go for lessons now lol

Do eeeeet. They'll be quietening down for the winter now, you might be able to bag a decent deal. There's really nothing to fret about and bigger bikes are... well, we all say it, nobody believes it, but they're easier to ride.

Ah, ye will so.

https://33.media.tumblr.com/ced3b10ca17bec0173e09f615ac000e6/tumblr_mtzsut0tAO1sjwg5lo1_500.gif

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 30 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I echo Roger's advice above. Worth having a go at mod 1 on the 125 just to see the layout of the test centre and what is expected. The bigger bikes are easier to ride.

In the mean time you're welcome to come for a blast with a couple of us. I still ride a 125 alongside my larger machines on occasion and my mate is still on L plates. We're not too far away from you.

Mike will be along shortly. You'll notice when you see the vastly increased size of your scroll bar.

Lochlassie
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 06:59 - 31 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooh I watched that video. Think I might give it a bash on a 125 like you say. I'm going all out there to mention Teflon mike again as I'm intrigued haha. Life on the edge!
My Chinese takeaway is a zontes mantis. Its comfy to ride but it has its faults. Two year warranty so hopefully will have upgraded by then lol. (My friend has a wee Chinese chopper that is almost 7 years old!!! Lol)
Kgm I'm up for a blast for sure. Hope you have patience Smile

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:39 - 31 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lochlassie wrote:
I'm going all out there to mention Teflon mike again as I'm intrigued haha. Life on the edge!

It's DANGEROUSE.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Lochlassie
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 07:52 - 31 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neutral oh noo! Should I be afraid? Should I stay off work and hide?

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:35 - 31 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lochlassie wrote:
Neutral oh noo! Should I be afraid? Should I stay off work and hide?

wait till Friday he will still be typing until then Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:54 - 31 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mantis is a new one on me. That's one of the issues with buying from the wall-of-125s, you can blink and they've changed the model range. There should be a Zontes Mayfly.

Looks basic enough though and it should do the job until you're licensed up.

You say born again - what did you used to ride?

Say a Superdream, say a Superdream... Praying

Lochlassie
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:18 - 31 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad had a triumph bonny then a goldwing back in the day. He bought me a wee Honda CB50 for my 16th birthday. I went everywhere in it lol. My boyfriend had a suzuki GSX250 so I took turns on that too. Also tried out the old faithful superdream lol but as I said that's was many moons ago lol

Lochlassie
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:18 - 31 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad had a triumph bonny then a goldwing back in the day. He bought me a wee Honda CB50 for my 16th birthday. I went everywhere in it lol. My boyfriend had a suzuki GSX250 so I took turns on that too. Also tried out the old faithful superdream lol but as I said that's was many moons ago lol

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:42 - 31 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lochlassie wrote:
Honda CB50

That's probably close enough.

INCOMING!!

*sirens strike up mournful wailing across bcf cityscape - thousands rush to subterranean shelters*

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:56 - 31 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lochlassie wrote:
Also tried out the old faithful superdream lol but as I said that's was many moons ago lol

A few of us have such dark secrets in their past Embarassed

IN THEIR PAST ok? Let's just keep it that way Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

thestew
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:09 - 31 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

just passed my test though "ride on" in Hillington and also used the Sheildhall test centre, i wasn't very acquaint with the area and all went well for me. couldn't recommend them enough.

Lochlassie
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:41 - 31 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't mean to send that twice lol sorry

I'm trying to add a pic of my wee mantis but it's not happening lol help.

Lochlassie
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:23 - 31 Oct 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thestew my friend passed his CBT with ride on in hillington he said they were great. Well done for passing Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 140 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1