Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Internet problems

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:55 - 02 Nov 2017    Post subject: Internet problems Reply with quote

One for all branded electrical internet adapter plugs. My broadband router is downstairs and I am on Virgin 100 fiber. I use the plugs to get a broadband connection as PC is upstairs in back bedroom. I get random disconnections and have to take the plug out and put it in again it always connects straight away but it annoying. Would better branded or more expensive plugs stop the drop in signal? The plugs are good for 500 mbs.

Also I've tried connecting via wireless, on speed test my Laptop gets 80 meg no problem. My PC on the other hand gets 17 when a wireless dongle is attached? I've tried 2 different brands in various USB ports a MicroNEXT branded usb adapter and a TP-LINK TL-WN823N Mini N300 and neither get above 17 meg. The specs of the PC far out weigh the specs of the laptop so it's not a performance issue. Stuck for a suggestion at the mo so any help would be most welcomed.

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:09 - 02 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had much joy with USB wifi dongles, I think the bottle neck is the speed of USB. You'd be much better of with a dedicated wifi card, one with the little aerials poking out the back.
I've also had mixed experience with home plugs, but currently use a TP link set with no issues.

Problem could be to do with the line between the two plugs, interference etc.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:12 - 02 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cable really not a possibility.

Cables are tiny and houses have many places for small holes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:26 - 02 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy.

Nah, cable routing is a nightmare. I bought 25 meters of cat 5 and ran it all casual down the stairs across the living room into the hub. Wife says "If you think that's staying like that you've another thing coming". Routing is awful, thank you for the suggestion anyway.

fatjames

I could buy a pcie wifi card, I might just do that. Cheers for the suggestion.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:59 - 02 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't tack it to skirting all the way round? Wired a few houses now and you never notice the cable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:36 - 02 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second router in repeater mode upstairs? Plug the PC into it with a cable.

Probably costs about the same as a wifi card.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:01 - 02 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikrotik hAP AC Lite would do it. Configure the wifi on it to be a client of your existing WiFi and deliver connectivity to, up to, 5 wired devices.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 15:56 - 02 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your powerline connection may be shit because of the adaptors or because of the wiring in you house. I have Belkin 1gbps ones they were solid for me they would rarely need a reset, I'm talking months. As for speed I could always max out my 100mbps connection. If you want them they are yours for £25 delivered, I don't use them any more as I have run CAT5.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:56 - 02 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
Paddy.

Nah, cable routing is a nightmare. I bought 25 meters of cat 5 and ran it all casual down the stairs across the living room into the hub. Wife says "If you think that's staying like that you've another thing coming". Routing is awful, thank you for the suggestion anyway.

Out through the wall. and back in, in the room you need it in Thumbs Up Karma

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:07 - 02 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
Out through the wall. and back in, in the room you need it in Thumbs Up Karma

That's what the previous owners of this house did, but with proper ethernet ports on the wall.
Pity they routed it in to what is now the kids' room, so it's useless for me. They went through the living room wall, up and in to the attic, then down through the ceiling to another port.
You could then put a switch upstairs and run multiple wired connections if needed.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:46 - 02 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just take the Ethernet cable out through the wall - then round the outside of the house to the appropriate room and put it in there...

But then I like doing things quickly and easily.

👍
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Loui5D
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:56 - 03 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Second router in repeater mode upstairs? Plug the PC into it with a cable.

Probably costs about the same as a wifi card.

Use an access point instead of a repeater.

A repeater will as you can guess just repeat the signal, if the signal was dodgy in the first place it'll now become even worse.

An AP will make the connection less flakey as it'll clean the connection up a bit.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:15 - 03 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Are the powerline adapters at both ends straight into a wall socket or through a 4 way strip?

Straight into the wall via a splitter plug upstairs and downstairs in via a 5 feet long cable into a splitter plug into an 8 way powerbank surge protected.

https://i.imgur.com/TGx6mTA.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/HolA6qQ.jpg
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:27 - 03 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's your problem!

If you want to continue to use home plugs, get some of the pass-through variety.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:28 - 03 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loui5D wrote:

Use an access point instead of a repeater.

A repeater will as you can guess just repeat the signal, if the signal was dodgy in the first place it'll now become even worse.

An AP will make the connection less flakey as it'll clean the connection up a bit.

He said he was getting 80 meg on his laptop, suggesting the problem doesn't lie in the signal strength but his PCs means of usign that signal. That's why I suggested a way that would allow him to plug the PC in.

You can buy pretty high-end, commercial quality wireless routers on ebay secondhand for about £20.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:30 - 03 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wire them into the plug socket, not into a multi or surge. Neutral

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:41 - 03 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to have been sorted now, but I have always had limited success with dongles. My powerline adapter is TP links and was about £30, no trouble for over 3 years, plugged into a 4 gang extension but no surge protection.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:20 - 03 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes thank you all, I plugged it direct in a standalone socket and upstairs and downstairs and it works great. So thank you all, PC world bod told me to plug into power surge as it would stop your PC blowing up in the case of a surge down the cat 5 cable so that is why I did that.

What does he know? nowt by the looks of it. So thanks everyone. Thumbs Up

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 17:55 - 03 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
So thank you all, PC world bod told me...

This oughta be good...

King29 wrote:

to plug into power surge as it would stop your PC blowing up in the case of a surge down the cat 5 cable so that is why I did that.

Did not disappoint Laughing Laughing Laughing

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:14 - 03 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about computers. Carp fishing, yes. Computers, no.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:04 - 03 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
PC world bod told me to plug into power surge as it would stop your PC blowing up in the case of a surge down the cat 5 cable so that is why I did that.

Fucksake. Do they make this shit up on the spot or do they need to have special training first?

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:10 - 03 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounded believable to me. The signal runs around the electricity ring in your house so I guess it's possible. I know they can be a little bit mendacious as my nan bought a laptop. She wanted something to browse the internet and send emails and ending up spending over £1300 with a quad core blue ray writing beast of a machine with antivirus and office and a years tech support.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:16 - 03 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
PC world bod told me to plug into power surge as it would stop your PC blowing up in the case of a surge down the cat 5 cable so that is why I did that.

What does he know? nowt by the looks of it. So thanks everyone. Thumbs Up

It only works if you use a directional ethernet cable.

I also have some audiophile cat5 cable if you need it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 167 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2