Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Insurance and import - France

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

ajazoom
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:17 - 03 Nov 2017    Post subject: Insurance and import - France Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

I moved from France to London this August with my Honda Transalp 600V 1988. Now that my french insurance has run out, I'm looking for a UK one. I've tried different comparator and the quotes were around 2000£ a year... Shocked So my questions would be:

- What is the procedure for riding a bike from France in the UK?
- What is a reasonable way of insuring this bike in the UK?

I have my motorcyle licence since Dec. 2015 and been able to afford this bike only Aprl. 2017. No bonus.

Thanks!
Antoine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:15 - 04 Nov 2017    Post subject: Insewerants Reply with quote

Sell bike. You live in London.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 08:32 - 04 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Insurance and import - France Reply with quote

ajazoom wrote:

Only French residents may use a french registered & insured motorcycle in the UK as a visitor.

If you are a UK resident then you should hold a UK issued EU driving licence, with UK residential address, and your motorcycle should be UK registered with DVLA, again at a, preferably the same, UK residential address.

ajazoom wrote:

There isn't... moan about the weather, that's what the rest of us do!

Britain is a very small island with an awful lot of people living on it, in fact it has the highest population Density in Europe... and you have elected to live in that bit beneath the wash where they.. sorry, IT is densest.... squash that many vehicles into that little road-room and it is not surprising that they tend to bump into each other a fair bit. Add an appauling crime rate, again ramped by being in that city where thieves never sleep, and the only remarkeably 'thing' about insurance is that it is actually as 'cheap' as it is!

Your non UK nationality wont be doing you many favours; neither will your non UK market model motorcycle, with non UK registration, and non UK issued licence..... before you start pondering the usual Insurance small-print in the UK, where as soon as you declare commuting, it will sky rocket, and they will start asking impertinent questions about over-night storage....

Best advice, I can offer is, its an '88 Transalp, its not a peculiarly uncommon or valuable 'classic'... I would suggest, it would probably be cheaper and easier to take it back to france and either sell on in it's native market, or if you have sentimental attachment, park it up in long term storage at your Mum's or something similar, and buy an already UK registered, 'official' UK import bike, here in the UK.

I would also suggest that given London, you consider something that is more London Insurance freindly. That would probably mean something that doesn't have off-road pretensions as they are more oft stolen, as they can be thrashed about off-road or sold as field bikes not for road use. Sports bikes also atract an insurance loading. Anything slightly 'cool' attracts a loading... look at the 'boring' bikes with Courier top-boxes and logo's on them, for an idea of what you will most likely get the less un-reasonable insurance quotes on!

It is entirely possible to register a 'private import' from another country in the UK.... but there's a lot of bureaucratic red tape to jump through that wont make it the easiest job in the world, and it will STILL be more expensive to insure than an official UK imported model of the same type and age.... that though is your call. It s do-able, and I believe not particularly expensive; BUT the vehicle has to be insured and MOT'd before you can get it registered, and that gives you a Chicken and Egg situation to over come, and you will most likely NOT be able to get 'cheap'(er!) UK insurance from the usual stack-em-high, sell-em-cheap main-stream brokers, or off web-based comparison sites and their calculator bots... you need to do it the old fashioned way talking to real people... which probably excludes the call-center automatons from the high-street brokerages, who are probably in Bombay anyway!

The probability is, that if you try and do it via the web; you will very easily 'get' a policy, and for a more reasonable price, BUT, as soon as they have taken your money, they will send you the proposal pack in the post, and ask for things like a photo-copy of the UK registration document, and your UK driving licence, and when you don't send them,'cos you dont have them, or you try talking to a call-center munchkin, you will get 'reffered' and at best, they will demand a huge additional payment in 'adjustment', and/or they will just terminate the policy, and flag your name/address as having had insurance 'cancelled' on the brokers shared data-base, so you get red-flagged when you try anywhere else.....

Hence advice to make it as easy on yourself as you can and eliminate as many areas of constrnation before you begin; first by getting your licence straight and if a UK resident, getting a UK issued licence. Next, making sure bike you try and insure is UK registered, hence advice to dodge the added red-tape there, leaving the tranny at 'home', and getting an already UK registered bike, that's more London and UK insurance friendly, and STILL with no UK insurance history or No-Clams-Discount available, try dealing with real people not web-bots, ad still don't expect a 'Cheap' premium.

£2K on a 600 class motorcycle in London, doesn't actually sound all that exorbitant TBH.... depending how old you are, but I suspect that that premium may not be entirely representative, depending on the small print exclusions and other declarations / computer 'assumptions' made.... real world how much is a piece of string question, but with no UK riding 'history' you have to expect that you will be quoted essentially as a new rider, which on a larger bike, wont be 'cheap'...

Little in this country is... as said, make a cup of tea and grumble about the weather like the rest of us....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:50 - 04 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Insurance and import - France Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
ajazoom wrote:

Only French residents may use a french registered & insured motorcycle in the UK as a visitor.

If you are a UK resident then you should hold a UK issued EU driving licence, with UK residential address, and your motorcycle should be UK registered with DVLA, again at a, preferably the same, UK residential address.

ajazoom wrote:

There..........cont page 94.......

Tef,
Have you actually ever done it?

A) EU driving licence remains valid and doesn't need to be changed, resident or not, until it expires.

B) Yes, bike needs registering and UK insurance taken out if now resident, but for an 88 plated bike it's a piece of piss. One form from the DVLA, another one online for the tax pffice, MOT at your local garage then hand over about 100 ponds including road tax. Mine came through in 10 days.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:31 - 04 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Insurance and import - France Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
in fact it has the highest population Density in Europe...

In FACTE, it has the tenth highest population density in Europe after Monaco, Gibraltar, Vatican City, Malta, Guernsey, Jersey, San Marino, the Netherlands and Belgium.

OP, just ride uninsured on Le French plates indefinitely. If you crash it just ride or leg it away from the scene. If you can't run, and on the tiny chance that a copper shows up, jabber away angrily in Foreign while demand free medical treatment and compensation.

You're a Londoner now, start acting like one.
Patchanuty This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:32 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patchanuty wrote:
I'll try it out. Where can I apply? I want to see if it is better than my insurance.

The bots getting better. By next year it'll gain self-awareness.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:59 - 14 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
The bots getting better. By next year it'll gain self-awareness.

Will it learn to use apostrophes, do you think?

adkiucm
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:24 - 19 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was quoted 4-6k first time I tried to insure in London.
Call insurer directly without any gocompare, moneysupermarket and similar and I'm paying 1.2k now for a fresh rider on a fancy-ish 847cc bike.

Shop around.
Patchanuty This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 06:27 - 17 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's because you're a fucking piece of shit.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 63 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1