Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

FOI shows only half of the country's speed cameras on

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:43 - 04 Nov 2017    Post subject: FOI shows only half of the country's speed cameras on Reply with quote

Not bike-specific, granted - but eh. A recent FOI request apparently reveals that (less than) half the country's speed cameras are in operation. Why? Why dem copz not raisin dem revenues yo??

Answer - because they can no longer keep the money and have to hand it over to central government. Although to be fair, it's said that speeding fines could only be used to finance more cameras (or presumably other road traffic safety initiatives).

Quote:
“Many of the empty yellow cases are due to cuts in road safety grants and the fact that digital cameras, although more effective, are very expensive.

“It is also reflective of the fact that proceeds from cameras are no longer allowed to be ring-fenced to be reinvested into yet more cameras as now all the money goes to the Treasury.”

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:10 - 04 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just goes to show what we? Were saying was right and they were just money makers for the local plod.

I still act with caution when I see them ,just in case the camera I’m near IS switched on ( Pepperami’s luck).

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:44 - 04 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see one ray of sunshine to this a small one..

All those record times many of us managed in the 00s can now never be beaten and they will stand forever.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:01 - 04 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope so cause I'm sitting gnawing my fingers incase I got done by one about 10 days ago Crying or Very sad

I know, poor obs and all that!!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:22 - 04 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I hope so cause I'm sitting gnawing my fingers incase I got done by one about 10 days ago Crying or Very sad

I've been flashed about 20 times and caught once, and I didn't even notice the flash that time Rolling Eyes Only time I got scared was a double flash at 30 mph in a 20 zone, as I had slowed down to 30 sped past that camera everyday at 30 and not set it off before.

I also 'tested' most of the cameras on my commute, and found they went off at either 40 or 50 Shifty in 30 zones, although new cameras seem to have a lower threshold.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:29 - 04 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, they're turned off in Northamptonshire and have been for a few years. Caught me out in West Sussex, as I'm so used to just sailing past them Smile
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:14 - 04 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
It just goes to show what we? Were saying was right and they were just money makers for the local plod.

Yeah...but no. As I said, there seems to be some suggestion that the revenue raised had consequently to be spent on road safety initiatives.

You can be cynical about how much of the money that cameras generated did indeed end up being ploughed back into road safety shit, though.

Maybe a follow-up FOI request could be aimed at establishing that very fact...

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:29 - 04 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate the fecking things but there is always a great argument for having them because of the unfathomable idiocy of many road users.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6Bo8RJZAF8

(I thought the Eastern Block was where the whankers of the Road are. Shocked )

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:11 - 04 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
I hate the fecking things but there is always a great argument for having them because of the unfathomable idiocy of many road users.

The unfathomable idiocy of the editing of that clip compilation deserves mention too.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:48 - 04 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

How many of those involve speed? Eh?

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:38 - 05 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point - most of them seem more like LSD.

/cloakroom ticket

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:35 - 05 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calm down ya pair of bastirts.

Shocked

Very Happy

I agree that the clips are not the greatest example of cinematography.

Watching anything shot in 'portrait mode' makes me feel sea-sick. Sick

The deal with speed is if you cannot handle it then it can result in grave consequences.

So my argument is speed is not a problem so long as it is safe.

Travelling at speed when conditions are unsuitable and other road users could become involved is selfish and stupid.

There are just too many whankers who 'believe' that they can handle speed.

That is the problem with speed it is not that speed is the problem.

Speed is good. Cool

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:34 - 10 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

I know, poor obs and all that!!

I haven't got anything yet so presuming I'm safe. Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:41 - 10 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

And if preventing penalising idiocy on (generously) 0.001% of the road network saves even one kitten then it's worth it. Folded arms

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:58 - 10 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
MCN wrote:

And if preventing penalising idiocy on (generously) 0.001% of the road network saves even one kitten then it's worth it. Folded arms

Woh.... I do not think they are needed.
The 'rule makers' use bad driving in the argument for having them.

Where I work the client enforces their driving policy via transponders in the vehicle.
Every registered driver has an identifying key-fob that is used to activate the vehicle.
Any over speeding, harsh braking, wheel spinning, moving off without lights not switched on or anyone not wearing their seat-belt is recorded as a violation as points.
Lights 0.5
Seat belt 0.5
Harsh braking 1
Wheel Spinning 1
Over 30kph 1
over 50kph 1
over 70kph 1
over 80kph 1

We can be run-off if we get enough points.
We share public roads with nationals who do not have big brother in the vehicle. SO we have to pootle and Aibek or Baidol can blooter past at warp speed.
The RTAs on the roads around here are spectacularly horrific. That is what the company does to limit carnage.

It certainly keeps accidents to a very low, hardly noticeably statistic but it is very boring when you are in a Congo line of 20 or so vehicles all doing 70KPH for 20 KM.

A taste of what is to come for everyone some day. Crying or Very sad

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:49 - 11 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Aye, they're turned off in Northamptonshire and have been for a few years. Caught me out in West Sussex, as I'm so used to just sailing past them Smile

Even the average cameras on the A428?

Beds some are on, and some are off. It seems to be a real mix. Don't see many cameras in Bucks generally.

Rogue_Shadow
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:58 - 11 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who want's to go test which ones do and do not work?
Cool

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:37 - 11 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogue_Shadow wrote:
Who want's to go test which ones do and do not work?
Cool

I'll take the front facing ones.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:46 - 11 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:
The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

Even the average cameras on the A428?

Beds some are on, and some are off. It seems to be a real mix. Don't see many cameras in Bucks generally.

AFAIK all the average ones in Bedford Borough are active. Dunno about the static ones, or the rest of the county. A6 has loads Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:13 - 12 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fwiw I've been reliably informed that there are average speed cameras in continuous use on the A1079 between Shiptonthorpe and Bishop Burton.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:00 - 12 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:

AFAIK all the average ones in Bedford Borough are active. Dunno about the static ones, or the rest of the county. A6 has loads Rolling Eyes

The first one on the A6 coming from Clophill hasn't worked for many years. I fly through it on the bike. No so confident in the car. I don't know about the rest to be honest, but given their affinity for average speed cameras I would expect most of the statics to work.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:06 - 12 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:
thx1138 wrote:

The first one on the A6 coming from Clophill hasn't worked for many years. I fly through it on the bike. No so confident in the car. I don't know about the rest to be honest, but given their affinity for average speed cameras I would expect most of the statics to work.

Great! Now I just need a bike fast enough for it to be an issue. Laughing

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:29 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: FOI shows only half of the country's speed cameras on Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
Not bike-specific, granted - but eh. A recent FOI request apparently reveals that (less than) half the country's speed cameras are in operation.

Very old news, it's been common knowledge for over a decade... Rolling Eyes

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:44 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been rumour and supposition, Tef 2.0.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:16 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: FOI shows only half of the country's speed cameras on Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:
Very old news, it's been common knowledge for over a decade... Rolling Eyes

Tut Tut

It's closer to two decades. Razz
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 136 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2