Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike keeps pissing itself

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:56 - 05 Nov 2017    Post subject: Bike keeps pissing itself Reply with quote

I changed the air filter, and also replaced the airbox as it had a bit of damage and (knowing it was there) was annoying me. Upon putting the tank back on the fuel pump was doing odd things and the bike wouldn't start. Eventually it did but I noticed a fuel leak that appears to be coming from the exhaust:

Not out the back but at the junctures (if that makes sense), and not out the overflow either:
https://i62.servimg.com/u/f62/15/13/82/47/under10.jpg
^ think that's coming from where the downpipes/mid-section meet (it's running along the skid thingy).

https://i62.servimg.com/u/f62/15/13/82/47/middle10.jpg
^Definitely coming out of that juncture and dripping down.

https://i62.servimg.com/u/f62/15/13/82/47/rear10.jpg
^which it spat all over the rear wheel/brake (yes the bike needs a clean Embarassed).

Any ideas? Faulty fuel pump? Only other idea I had was when I changed the airbox it came with an air temp' sensor which I left in, could that cause a problem?

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:28 - 05 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double check the tank fuel connections.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:32 - 05 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
Double check the tank fuel connections.

I did and it's not leaking from there (if that's what you mean?).
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:57 - 05 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
M.C wrote:

I did and it's not leaking from there (if that's what you mean?).

Sure this isn't just rain getting into the end of the silencer?

Is the bike carb or injected?

Fuel injected. It definitely smelt/looked like petrol, although maybe a bit watery (I dunno I don't normally examine petrol). It also stopped spitting fuel for a bit then started again, on top of the fuel pump acting strangely (priming for too long then not priming sometimes), and it also sounded like it was slurping fuel whilst the engine was off at one point Confused

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:02 - 05 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you pinched the fuel pipe when you put the tank on?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:11 - 05 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

yen_powell wrote:
Have you pinched the fuel pipe when you put the tank on?

I don't think so, at least I was careful not to. It also sits out the way: https://www.triumphrat.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=93770&stc=1&d=1378637384

...hanging from the airbox on that little metal thing, so there isn't really much to pinch. I could try it with the tank partially raised to make sure.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 17:14 - 05 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow the logic.
If it was a carbed bike.... fuel lives in the tank, comes down fuel pipe to the float bowl, is stopped by the float valve, then gets sucked from the float bowl up the jets into the inlet tract, to get burned in the cylinder.
IF the float valve stuck open, then fuel could flood the float bowl, should spill from the over-flow before it over-flows the float bowl and up the carb-jets to trickle into the cylinder, and thence down into the exhaust-pipe...
BUT suggestion is bikes fuel injected.... fuel is squirted into the inlet tract via an electric syringe..... that should be a valve to stop fuel leaking nto the inlet tract like a stuck float in a carb.... plus the fuel supply to the squirter is positively pumped, so it would only get past when the ignition is turned 'on' and pump running, or when there is pressure still in the lines shortly after ignition turned off... a-n-d there's usually an electric operated cut-off in there 'some-where' to shut fuel supply when igntion off and or a shock sensor triggered.

Oh-Kay.... the logic.... if fuel leaking 'out' the exhaust, some-how it has to be getting 'in' to the exhaust.

If the fuel is getting into the pipe, the logically it should be getting there through the cylinders, from the carburation.... and it has to be getting there in at least greater volume than its coming out in the puddles....

That would suggest that if it is getting there by that route, there must be a heck of a lot getting 'in' and that would manifest itself as serious over-fueling when running, probably to the point that the engine wouldn't run.....

Which suggests that the more likely is that the fuel ISN'T coming 'out' of the exhaust, so it never got 'in', and the exhaust s simply a low surface around the engine, where fuel getting 'on' it else where will run down.

So, I would check for split hoses, or pin-holed tank in and around as first course.

But.. not discounting possibilities before you begin; if you have a pressurized system, then when put under pressure it will be more likely to rupture, and that rupture to show as a leak when not under pressure... could be a seal in the fuel pump or the injector... not as likely but not impossible...

So check the more likely first; that it isn't fuel leaking from the exhaust, but run-off coming down the pipe, and that what you think s it leaking from a joint is merely that joint being a discontinuity in the drip-run, that makes it drip 'off' rather than trickle further.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:22 - 05 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Bike keeps pissing itself Reply with quote

quote="M.C"

that looks more like coolant .. petrol has no surface tension ...
coolant does have a petro chemical type of smell ..
so could some of that leaked into or around the air box ?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:42 - 05 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Bike keeps pissing itself Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Which suggests that the more likely is that the fuel ISN'T coming 'out' of the exhaust, so it never got 'in', and the exhaust s simply a low surface around the engine, where fuel getting 'on' it else where will run down.

Only thing's its an underseat exhaust, so the first picture's the bottom of the bike but the second one's higher up (piccy).

Copycat73 wrote:
quote="M.C"

that looks more like coolant .. petrol has no surface tension ...
coolant does have a petro chemical type of smell ..
so could some of that leaked into or around the air box ?

Wouldn't coolant be coloured? A coolant change's on the cards (so I don't know what's in the rad') but in the reserve tank it has blue coolant, although as I found out with my last bike someone might have mixed different types. Also I'm not 100% on where everything's routed but I don't think coolant could leak into the airbox that way.

Last edited by M.C on 17:47 - 05 Nov 2017; edited 1 time in total

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:46 - 05 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it only pisses it's sel' when the engine is cold then it is completely normal combustion H2O (water).

It does not look like fuel as it beads too much like water.

The smell of fuel will just be soluble compounds from the fuel.
Not all the fuel can be burned so some escapes.
Emissions.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:51 - 05 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
If it only pisses it's sel' when the engine is cold then it is completely normal combustion H2O (water).

It does not look like fuel as it beads too much like water.

The smell of fuel will just be soluble compounds from the fuel.
Not all the fuel can be burned so some escapes.
Emissions.

I've never had a bike do it this much Smile As mpd says I notice you sometimes get water in the exhaust, which normally leads to a bit of white smoke/maybe a dribble of water out the silencer. The bike smoked a little bit when I first started it but then stopped. It was actually running ok when it wasn't pissing about, but it did cutout a few times, twice very soon after starting when it hadn't primed properly.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:59 - 05 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that 'liquid' on the deck and on the swing arm looks a little bit 'substantial' enough to be noticed as a leak from the cooling system if it is a regular occurrence.

But again, it does not look like a typical coolant 'puddle'.

I am not saying do this but glycol tastes very very very sweet even in tiny concentrations.
If someone were daft/determined enough they could taste a very tiny dab for sweetness.

(Disclaimer: Toxicity[edit]
Main article: Ethylene glycol poisoning
Ethylene glycol is moderately toxic, with an oral LDLo = 786 mg/kg for humans.[19] The major danger is due to its sweet taste, which can attract children and animals. Upon ingestion, ethylene glycol is oxidized to glycolic acid, which is, in turn, oxidized to oxalic acid, which is toxic. It and its toxic byproducts first affect the central nervous system, then the heart, and finally the kidneys. Ingestion of sufficient amounts can be fatal if untreated.[20] Several deaths are recorded annually in the U.S. alone.[21]

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:06 - 05 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

coolant is usually blue or green .. but in small quantities this can be hard to see ..try dabbin it with a soft white tissue to see if any colour ...
think i would be havin another look inside and out round that airbox for loose connections and broken or bent pipes ... and any electrics that are not properly connected... Thinking

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:18 - 05 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logical thing might be for the OP to extract a small sample of coolant and petrol from their respective tanks on the bike, and then it shouldn't be too hard to work out which, if any, looks/smells/feels/tastes(?! Shocked ) the same as the leaked fluid?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:27 - 05 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Logical thing might be for the OP to extract a small sample of coolant and petrol from their respective tanks on the bike, and then it shouldn't be too hard to work out which, if any, looks/smells/feels/tastes(?! Shocked ) the same as the leaked fluid?

I was thinking about that with the coolant, to check what's in there. It was a fresh tank (well can) of petrol I got this morning, I figured as I had drained the tank anyway it made sense to use fresh stuff.

Stoker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:42 - 05 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the bike carb or injected?[/quote]
Fuel injected. [/quote]
Teflon-Mike wrote:

Follow the logic.
If it was a carbed bike.... fuel lives in the tank, comes down fuel pipe to the float bowl, is stopped by the float valve, then gets sucked from the float bowl up the jets into the inlet tract, to get burned in the cylinder.
IF the float valve stuck open, then fuel could flood the float bowl, should spill from the over-flow before it over-flows the float bowl and up the carb-jets to trickle into the cylinder, and thence down into the exhaust-pipe...

Illogical.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:06 - 05 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also forgot to mention the engine light stays on Embarassed I think it has a diagnostics thingy?

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:33 - 05 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Also forgot to mention the engine light stays on Embarassed I think it has a diagnostics thingy?

air temp sensor connection Question

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:18 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
M.C wrote:

air temp sensor connection Question

That was my thought but rather than changing random bits I could get a diagnostic cable? Apparently there's a program called tuneecu that gives you fault codes.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:31 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just taste it, instantly know what fluid it is. Not saying drink it, but a dab on your little finger will confirm what it is.

Stock exhausts? Never had an issue with them on the Triple. Danmoto however, was like a rain collector.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:55 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Just taste it, instantly know what fluid it is. Not saying drink it, but a dab on your little finger will confirm what it is.

Stock exhausts? Never had an issue with them on the Triple. Danmoto however, was like a rain collector.

You took it out in the rain?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:06 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:

The slut lived outside. Laughing

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:05 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
recman wrote:

The slut lived outside. Laughing

Disgusting.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 165 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2