Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

ACF50 - spray on an leave?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:31 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: ACF50 - spray on an leave? Reply with quote

Bought a bottle of this stuff years ago, ive never really used it before.

I've got the non aerosol stuff, do i just fill the pump bottle up an stick it in some hot water to make it thinner, then just spray it everywhere avoiding tyres/ brakes an shizz?

when you spray it on do you need to wipe it over to spread it?

I've never had a bike with fairings before, i took my first side off last night an its manky as funk in there

Also just read that ACF50 can go outta date??

Last edited by mudcow007 on 11:55 - 06 Nov 2017; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:36 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heating it is an interesting plan, but it's pretty viscous stuff and I've never been able to get it to spray in anything like a useful mist.

Clean the bike, apply with a brush, ride.

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:38 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spray and leave, it might drip overnight so leave a towel under the bike and don't spray it above tyres/discs (obvs). I've never tried heating it, might explain why I always get a dquirt rather than a fine mist
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:56 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i first got it I tried the pump spray but it came out like paint.

by sticking the bottle in hot water I was able to get a mist effect Cool

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:27 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gadzooks. I shall have to try that. You learn something new on BCF every day (for the set of You excluding Tef).

rhun
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:58 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my bike sorted at allyearbiker and he had a wax on/wax off approach and used it sparingly. If you use too much it turns into a gloop and attracts dirt.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:12 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the aerosol version.

Spray everywhere, wipe excess with rag and continue across all exposed metalwork.

As others have said, leave a towel or cardboard box under it overnight. I generally always get some on my brakes by accident. Easily resolved by dragging the brakes for a few yards.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:00 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heat it, chuck it in an HVLP gun on the compressor and off you go. Done mine this way for years now and it goes on a treat and uses far less for the job than jizzing it everywhere with a 'spray' bottle.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:18 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a soaked rag for easy to reach parts and a small paintbrush for the trickier or recessed stuff and for fastners. Works well with no drips.

I've just bought an olive oil mister to try (under a tenner) as I don't have a compressor, although that would be the best method.

Heating it a little definitely helps it mist better from the aerosol.

Landy10
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 15:49 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading this and finding the heating acf50 in hot water a great tip.
It has however made me laugh due to a friend having an unfortunate incident with a tube of CV grease for his landrover.
He had a kettle in his workshop and instead of pouring hot water from said kettle in to recepticle he just put the tube of cv grease into the kettle and switched the kettle on to boil, end result tube explodes and covers him and the workshop in rather warm cv grease Shocked Smile

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:50 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mudcow007 wrote:
when i first got it I tried the pump spray but it came out like paint.

by sticking the bottle in hot water I was able to get a mist effect Cool

I got three litres and the wee spray bottle.

I never heated Hee-Haw.
It doesn't really need it. It just seems a bit gloopy but under pressure its just like spraying paint.

Fill the wee bottle, screw the top on and spray.

It produces a very fine mist and the sprayer is a good quality tool and keep working without jamming like some cheaper efforts do.

Use a brush and a small piece of rag soaked in ACF50 to spread a coat of ACF50 over everything (Except the stuff it tells you not to).

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:34 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put it in a used kitchen cleaning spray bottle rather than messing about with the tiddly one they give you.
If you take the internal pipe off it will work upside down which is often useful.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:40 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

is the scottoiler FS365 as good or is the ACF 50 miles better?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:23 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

myvision wrote:

ACF50 is more of a fire and forget product where as Scottoiler FS365 needs to be applied almost every time the bike is washed or salted by the cooncil.

evilzed
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:38 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

myvision wrote:

See

https://f2mcltd.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/winter-salt-protection-acf50-fs365-or.html

and

https://youtu.be/F0DpnjvS25E

TLDR; FS365 is pretty useless and most positive reviews are probably due to the placebo effect

Qyburn
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:18 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: ACF50 - spray on an leave? Reply with quote

mudcow007 wrote:

I've got the non aerosol stuff, do i just fill the pump bottle up an stick it in some hot water to make it thinner, then just spray it everywhere avoiding tyres/ brakes an shizz?

Where did you get that from? Sounds a better option (for me) than aerosol.

I've used the FS365 stuff, I think it's more suitable for protecting laid up equipment as the film comes off really quickly if in use, and it's very slightly sticky as well.

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:48 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the aerosol and I also find the acf50 grease is great on fasteners or known nicks in chrome.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

evilzed wrote:
myvision wrote:

See

https://f2mcltd.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/winter-salt-protection-acf50-fs365-or.html

and

https://youtu.be/F0DpnjvS25E

TLDR; FS365 is pretty useless and most positive reviews are probably due to the placebo effect

I ordered some Comma on the back of Matt's tests.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:38 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give your bike to Craig23: rumour has it dirt moves out his way when he's riding on the roads.

ACF-50: wash the salt away after a ride and reapply.

In truth there's not really a lot to it: apply once before winter and once afterwards, and there you have your two yearly washes of the bike (beside the above salt washing away). Spray bottles probably better than aerosol (less rags, less money spent on rags) but whatever you buy (spray 1l or aerosol) you'll have on your shelf, or in your cupboard, for a long time. Ensure all dirt is removed before spraying (so doesn't get trapped underneath) and you're good to go. Spray away, and plenty of, and thank yourself afterwards.

Give the underside of the bike a mass spray and the downpipes: be prepared for a stink and smoke upon startup, just ride away and close yer nostrils.

Probably better to do it sooner rather than later: sod standing out in that cold for longer than is needed.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:54 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: ACF50 - spray on an leave? Reply with quote

Qyburn wrote:
mudcow007 wrote:

Where did you get that from? Sounds a better option (for me) than aerosol.

I've used the FS365 stuff, I think it's more suitable for protecting laid up equipment as the film comes off really quickly if in use, and it's very slightly sticky as well.

I would argue the contrary.
If stacking equipment long-term I would like the more active protection of ACF50.

FS365 is designed to be reapplied regularly. ACF50 is fit and forget.

Just sayin'.

Qyburn
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:53 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: ACF50 - spray on an leave? Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Qyburn wrote:

I would argue the contrary.
If stacking equipment long-term I would like the more active protection of ACF50.

FS365 is designed to be reapplied regularly. ACF50 is fit and forget.

I've not directly compared like for like, but the snowblower which has been in the shed since the spring still feels like there's a film of FS365, whereas it wears off the bike in no time. Whether that film on the snowblower is still active or not is a different question.

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:32 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stupid question but if acf is water resistant how do you wash it off for the summer? never used it myself.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:45 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

almostthere wrote:
stupid question but if acf is water resistant how do you wash it off for the summer? never used it myself.

Any good degreaser such as Jizer will take it off.

The trick with ACF50 is just leave it be. Dont give it a 'posh wash' during winter, just have faith and not wash the layer of crud off. Come spring when you take it off it's like new underneath.

It also has the bonus property of killing off active rust so you can lash it on any bits of metalwork already starting to go shitty on you.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always done the clean and reapply regularly over winter. Has worked ok, although always a little rust needing wire brushed off in the summer.

It's also a pain in the arse wet cleaning in the freezing cold so this year I'm going for the spray and forget method to a greater extent to give it a go.

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 08:29 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to dose my bikes in ACF50 after taking ownership, then apply occasionally when needed throughout the year.

Winter wise, I would only give my regularly used bikes a wash if I know the following few days are going to be alright weather wise - but tend to resist giving the bike a thorough degreasing-clean until spring arrives. The accumulated road grime, mixed with a ACF50 base layer can be surprisingly corrosion resistant.

During winter:

https://i.imgur.com/Hkpx2bV.jpg

Post-spring clean:

https://i.imgur.com/C6Ju0AD.jpg

If possible, I do still tend to rinse road salt off bare metal components using cold water, if there's been a lot of salt on the roads after some rides.

My shinier bikes only come out now and again on sunnier winter weekends, and get treated to a decent clean after each ride - but only because I wouldn't use them as regularly.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 170 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2