Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Utilita smart meters costing a fortune?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:35 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Utilita smart meters costing a fortune? Reply with quote

had a smart meter fitted recently, 3 bedroom house..

so far ive put £115 on the gas + electric combined in 3 days under 4 weeks, all that is on 24/7 is the fridge freezer, i spend most of the day not at home for 4 days a week and the past 4 days ive not been back at all, when i am home i usually say in 1 room with the tv on, all bulbs in the house are led.

heating has been on a handful of times in the month and combi boiler i shower daily but only turn the hot water on for 15 minutes which is enough to shower.

Does this seem right?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:09 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a very small place, I pay all electric, 75 a month, with Xbox constantly on, heating on regulating the house at 23 degrees, fridge/freezer always on and TV from 4pm to about midnight, maybe even 2 TVs... Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:38 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Utilita smart meters costing a fortune? Reply with quote

Despined_By_Ex wrote:
had a smart meter fitted recently

Does this seem right?

Given that you're the only person who has experience of that particular household's energy usage, both pre and post smart meter being installed, I'd say you're the best placed to tell us the answer to the question.

But no, I wouldn't be happy with that sort of consumption - it seems excessive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:56 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The roll out of "smart" meters has been a bloody disaster. You're lucky your place hasn't burned down, and you haven't been handed a bill for thousands because they monged up the before/after readings.

Get in there with a bawww early doors, before Wintron really hits.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:18 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My house (3 bed bungalow) with 3 people living in. Central heating set by wifie at 20C Rolling Eyes , daughter living in bathroom Rolling Eyes , garage light on all the time Thumbs Up is working out at £8 per week gas and £15 per week electric. Shocked

So 4 weeks would be £84.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:26 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember a massive fuss about them a few months ago. LEDs apparently cause funny waves and therefore can cause mis-readings
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:28 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are smart meters mandatory? They seem to benefit energy companies rather than consumers. Think about all the meter readers you'll be putting out of a job Crying or Very sad

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:29 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smart meters. Because we all need our meters reading once an hour*

* - we will, of course, once electricity companies introduce demand-based pricing. First as a "cost-saving" measure. Then as a matter of course.

M.C wrote:
Are smart meters mandatory? They seem to benefit energy companies rather than consumers. Think about all the meter readers you'll be putting out of a job Crying or Very sad

My suspicion is to enable demand-based pricing, as above. Essentially the Uber pricing model, for power. Based on no real knowledge other than the industry's general shift towards the control of demand as well as supply.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:35 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Are smart meters mandatory?

No.

The energy brokers signed up to a voluntary deal to force them on us. Of course, the phone monkey will lie to you and tell you that "It's the law." I've blocked mine from calling me now.

The laugh is that the current generation of "smart" meters are already obsolete and will have to be ripped out and replaced again.

As above, what "smart" meters will allow is demand based billing, or charging based on apparent power.

Do not accept a "smart" meter. It will not benefit you.

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 15:42 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

i recently moved and changed our supplier to Bulb.
When i asked about smart meters they said they are refusing to get involved with the generation 1 meters as they didn't feel they where fair.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:05 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
M.C wrote:

No.

The energy brokers signed up to a voluntary deal to force them on us. Of course, the phone monkey will lie to you and tell you that "It's the law." I've blocked mine from calling me now.

Good to know, I was wondering how we went from request your new smart meter to we'll be installing it on x date.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 17:14 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pay £70 a month gas and electric in a 5 bed Laughing

I got it down from £110 by insulating, fixing holes/gaps/drafts and getting a Smart thermostat. I have a Tado and it is fucking great. Our gas from Jan-March went down from £155 to £55 after doing that.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:28 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Utilita smart meters costing a fortune? Reply with quote

Despined_By_Ex wrote:
had a smart meter fitted recently, 3 bedroom house..

Other than outright propaganda from government, the utility companies and the makers of smart meters, I've yet to see a good word written about them!

Why would you even contemplate such a thing?

chris-red

PostPosted: 17:37 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also having modern appliances really helps too, over the last decade or so the amount of power appliances use has drastically fallen. Especially in 'sleep mode' I think the EU limit now is 0.5 watts. I had old stuff that was drawing 30!

We don't have a tumbler and in the colder months dry clothes with a dehumidifier. We got a new one as the old one was loud and used 1.8kw on full chat. The new one used ~600w, is silent and is at least twice as quick at drying clothes.

I got proper geeky with it and have a plug that measures draw to test stuff. Laughing

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:38 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 4 bed house was built in 1605 from cowshit and sticks. Insulation is almost non-existent, no double glazing either. I'm paying ~£60 for electricity and ~£50 in heating oil each month. If the place you live in is even remotely modern then there's something very wrong.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:50 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
M.C wrote:

No.

The laugh is that the current generation of "smart" meters are already obsolete and will have to be ripped out and replaced again.

As above, what "smart" meters will allow is demand based billing, or charging based on apparent power.

Do not accept a "smart" meter. It will not benefit you.

We had all that for ages, if you don't let us in we'll get a warrant and force you to have one.

Good luck getting through my door with or without a warrant, because you ain't fitting one, was my reply.

It's the law, they said.

Which one, I said.

They hung up, never heard from them since. Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:58 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
We had all that for ages, if you don't let us in we'll get a warrant and force you to have one.

Good luck getting through my door with or without a warrant, because you ain't fitting one, was my reply.

It's the law, they said.

Which one, I said.

They hung up, never heard from them since. Laughing

Interesting, I was wondering if being a tenant made of difference, as in the landlord can say you're having one, but it appears it's up to the bill payer... https://youtu.be/tleSnj4OD0g?t=1s

chris-red

PostPosted: 19:01 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why the hate on them? I means I no longer need to give meter readings. I'm OK with that.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:05 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
I means I no longer need to give meter readings.

I rarely do anyway, the estimated bills are lower Laughing

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:00 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Utilita smart meters costing a fortune? Reply with quote

Despined_By_Ex wrote:
so far ive put £115 on

From this it sounds like you're talking about a PAYG meter, rather than a smart meter. If so, it will be costing you a fortune. My experience with these is that they charge at least double what you'd be paying for the same thing on direct debit.

Ben90
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:06 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are smart meters fitted in the flat I rent. I still submit the readings manually every month - why?

Because I live in a village and the meters are in a cupboard right in the centre of the building on the ground floor, so they get no signal Laughing

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:16 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Why the hate on them?

Because ultimately their sole purpose is to extract exorbitant amounts of ponds, way above any inflationary numbers you care to think of, from the end user.
Once the government have coerced, bribed or forced you away from your favourite ICE vehicle and into your white goods type electric vehicle.
A smart meter will tell the supplier when you use the most energy, (to recharge your vehicle), and guess what the price will go up for that precise period!

HTH!

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:25 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Utilita smart meters costing a fortune? Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:
Despined_By_Ex wrote:
so far ive put £115 on

From this it sounds like you're talking about a PAYG meter, rather than a smart meter. If so, it will be costing you a fortune. My experience with these is that they charge at least double what you'd be paying for the same thing on direct debit.

I've had this discussion with a friend who works for BG countless times. He says you're talking out your arse.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:26 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Utilita smart meters costing a fortune? Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:
Despined_By_Ex wrote:
so far ive put £115 on

Oh yeah, they're one of the many ways the poor are exploited. However a friend showed me the 'lighter trick', where you take the clicky bit out and get (a small amount) of free electricity.

It basically went:
- Playstation died
- 'Click' meter
- Run back into flat as the alarm goes off
- Repeat every 20-30 mins (his neighbours must have hated him)
Laughing

I've had this discussion with a friend who works for BG countless times. He says you're talking out your arse.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-33369672 - why would they deny it Thinking

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:42 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Utilita smart meters costing a fortune? Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
dydey90 wrote:

Oh yeah, they're one of the many ways the poor are exploited. However a friend showed me the 'lighter trick', where you take the clicky bit out and get (a small amount) of free electricity.

It basically went:
- Playstation died
- 'Click' meter
- Run back into flat as the alarm goes off
- Repeat every 20-30 mins (his neighbours must have hated him)
Laughing

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-33369672 - why would they deny it Thinking

£226 is not double the annual bill, is it?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 164 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3