Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cars on a Tight Budget

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:45 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Cars on a Tight Budget Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I've gone from two wheels to four. The bike has been sold. I'll maybe get another one soon, but for the now, I'm going for a car. However, I have a budget of about a grand, give or take.
I'll be doing around 10K a year commuting. The roads are split between 70 and 60mph the entire journey.
I want something big, so I can throw my pushbikes in there and when I take the family camping etc. Things that my little Corsa can't do now with any relative ease. However, big in size also means big in insurance, tax and fuel. So I'm trying to get what I can from my meager budget.

So far I've come across these ones below. And I've calculated the cost, based on insurance quotes, Parker's MPG (ultra-urban) and cost to tax the car. Pretty crude measurements, but I have to try and sell the idea to the wife.
Based on the ones below, what are your experiences? Any complete duffers that'll blow up once they hit 100K miles? All of them are diesels so I'm looking for advice on reliability. I don't like French cars, and I haven't gotten around to figuring out how much the 1.9TDis from VW/Seat/Skoda are yet, but I'm open to them too.

Model Cost per Year
Focus 1.6 Hatch £1,424.01
C-Max 1.6 £1,437.33
Cerato 1.5 £1,451.89
Meriva 1.7 £1,548.66
Civic 1.7 £1,605.58
Focus 1.6 Estate £1,710.48
Avensis 2.0 £1,721.38
Zafira 1.9 £1,731.83

(I'm aware that working out which car based on an Excel spreadsheet is very sad. But I'm not particularly interested in how it looks. Just that it's a decent car and frugal.)

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:49 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad recently got a 2004 PD130 Passat with a years MOT (90k miles) for a grand. Seems pretty good bangernomics to me.

I'd personally try and avoid anything with a DPF.

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:32 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ancient old A4 the 1.9 will keep trucking like an err old truck, 50+ to the gallon to
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:51 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Cars on a Tight Budget Reply with quote

MahatmaAndhi wrote:
I have a budget of about a grand, give or take. [...] Cost per Year

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think those projected costs are based on beggars buying a 100K donkey with a "full service" i.e. emptying the ashtrays and changing the air freshener hanging from the mirror.

That's the price point where you'll get genuine bargains that will go for another 100K needing nothing, and rusted out heaps where everything will let go at the next MOT.

Buy whatever you want and cross your fingers. Sight unseen, I'd go Avensis or Civic, because I believe in the racial superiority of Orientals.

groovylee
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:52 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

be wary of high mileage VAG stuff - the dual mass flywheels like to shit themselves. approx £850 bill. don't ask me how i know....

cant go wrong with an older Octavia, mine cost me £500 and went on for over 50K miles, and i think is still going. dull as dishwater though.

Bangernomics is great Thumbs Up

Current - 2002 Aprilia RSV1000R & 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:07 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid £80 for a 2l diesel pug that needed a 200 quid clutch and 1 tyre.

That did 20k and needed nothing but water for the jets.

Pay pennies, you'll get minimal use. But if you truly need to car on a budget, don't VAG it up.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:31 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Cars on a Tight Budget Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

Tax, fuel and insurance will be the least of you worries on a £1K car. Saving £200 on fuel in a year, or £100 on tax/insurance, will mean sod all when a turbo fails or diesel injectors, cat, DPF, exhaust, tyres, shocks, brakes or EGR need replacing.

Petrol cars, albeit dearer on fuel, have far less expensive 100,000 mile components to go wrong. Forget fuel consumption on such a low cost car.

I do tend to agree, and indeed both of my recent bangernomics cars (Volvo V70 - RIP god rest its soul, and my current Lexus IS300) have been petrol very much for those reasons.

However, I had a 330d from ~135k to ~200k and all it cost me was an inline fuel pump at about £70 from memory. My mother in law has a 2011 Mondeo TDCi which has just ticked over 260,000 miles and has had pretty much zero issues; the DMF has just started a'janglin' on cold start ups but it's still a runner, and actually a good runner if I'm honest.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is diesel cars don't have to be a total disaster at high miles but again, I agree with your general sentiment, you are far more likely to exceed the value of the vehicle on repairs if anything does go wrong on a diesel, versus that on a petrol where a cost effective repair is far more likely.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:23 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Cars on a Tight Budget Reply with quote

arry wrote:
I do tend to agree, and indeed both of my recent bangernomics cars (Volvo V70 - RIP god rest its soul, and my current Lexus IS300) have been petrol very much for those reasons.

What happened to the Volvo?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:42 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing particularly serious TBH - it just needed a lot of odds and ends to pass a ticket and economically the car wasn't worth spending dorrah on. Top of my head it needed 4 new tyres, new front and rear discs, handbrake shoes, drop links and ball joints both sides on the front, plus a couple of piddly bits like polishing a scratch out of the screen, getting front washers to work better etc.

It still ran - I think it'd still run after it went in the crusher tbh.

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:39 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Cars on a Tight Budget Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
My last car was a E34 525i Beemer for £2,000. I had it for almost 10 years from 117,000 miles to 275,000 when I drove it onto the scrap lorry. It was still on it's standard exhaust and did around 30mpg on the motorway.

Other than a set of front struts at around 160,000, all I did to it was plugs/oil/filters/pads/tyres/bulbs/suspension arms.

But that's double my budget for a car which is getting only 60% of the MPG which my current Corsa 1.3CDTi gets, whilst it's squealing like a pig at 80mph. Using the same calculation as I did for the others, it's coming in at £2,039.83 before insurance.
Unless you're going to get a whopping big petrol engine, then I don't think other smaller engine cars will get the same longevity as your BMW did. And, as you can see, a bigger petrol engine isn't viable for me financially.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:37 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Cars on a Tight Budget Reply with quote

MahatmaAndhi wrote:

I want something big, so I can throw my pushbikes in there and when I take the family camping etc. Things that my little Corsa can't do now with any relative ease.

How often will you be doing that (given your budget?)

Because if it might be cheaper to simply hire one on the times you need it or join a car club Thumbs Up

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:58 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycling? Every weekend, weather permitting.
Often in woods which aren't near by.
I've been frustrated by the Corsa's boot space more times than I can recall.

I've been adding to the list and I'm pleasantly suprised. The Leon is not one which I would have considered, simply because I didn't think about it. And even stupidly large cars like the Jag aren't all that expensive (if you got a blinder of a bargain on the initial price - which I'm not banking on).

https://i.imgur.com/RHA1Zn8.png

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:21 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your list of running costs is all well and good but the sub £1k car with the cheapest running costs is the one you can find that's in the best mechanical condition.

Don't assume that big in size means big in insurance.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:50 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nissan Almera, pre-2002 (I think - When Renault started supplying the engines and the camchain became fickle).

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:08 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Cars on a Tight Budget Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

You’d better pray that your £1,000 banger, which is frugal on fuel, doesn’t develop any expensive issues in 10,000 miles a year then.

Personally, reliability is your biggest issue, not fuel and your silly time wasting lists, which ignore the biggest cost.

Carry on though.... you’ve clearly owned lots of high mileage cheap cars.

Which brings us full circle to my initial questions:

Me wrote:
Based on the ones below, what are your experiences? Any complete duffers that'll blow up once they hit 100K miles?

My budget is my budget. That's just tough shit to me. So, based on affordable vehicles which I deem acceptable, are there any with notorious defects? For example, I've read that the C-Max has an issue with the return spring on the clutch. A very cheap part to replace. However, everyone who's tried to do it themselves took several hours. The dealers want £150ish for the job.
That's what I'm looking for. Not recommendations on cars that I can't afford.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:37 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an Almera on a 2001/W plate, with 39k (I think) on the clock. The 1.5 engine w/ air con.

It was fairly tatty, didn't pay much for it, but bought knowing it needed a clutch (the old twat who had it had also managed to run it without much oil Rolling Eyes )

The only maintenance I did was oil & filter changes, only parts required were refurbed calipers (the non-ABS calipers were more expensive than ABS for some reason).

Blah blah
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:37 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honda Jazz... normally owned by more mature drivers and because of this, they're not cool so they're cheap (e.g. On autotrader, 56 plate, 63k, less than £800 in Bodmin)

Last edited by Blah blah on 23:43 - 06 Nov 2017; edited 1 time in total

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:39 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Cars on a Tight Budget Reply with quote

MahatmaAndhi wrote:
So, based on affordable vehicles which I deem acceptable, are there any with notorious defects?

Zafiras get a bit toasty sometimes.

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:27 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the Corsa and buy some roof rails for a bike rack and a roofbox for camping.

Thumbs Up

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:53 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Cars on a Tight Budget Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
MahatmaAndhi wrote:
So, based on affordable vehicles which I deem acceptable, are there any with notorious defects?

New yes, older ones aren't so bad.

Parents have a 238,000 mile 2l Zarifa diesel.

It has needed tyres, an alternator and regular servicing. They have had it since 84,000 miles.

If I needed space and didn't care what it looked like, along with sensible mpg, thats what I'd have, but I'm a turd and like to have tasty cars now Laughing

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:54 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almera and Jazz on the list to look in to. Thanks.
The wife needs the Corsa for school runs etc. And as we already have one small car (she won't drive anything bigger) complete with roof rails, box and bike rack, Is rather get something bigger for the second.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:43 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

groovylee wrote:
be wary of high mileage VAG stuff [...] cant go wrong with an older Octavia

Since Škoda has been wholly owned by der Volkswagengruppen since 2000, how old are we talking?

M.C wrote:
MahatmaAndhi wrote:

All Zafirea-B models should have been recalled and sorted now. Twice.

I can't really fault my 1.6 petrol. Well, I can fault the temperature sensor on the bottom of the engine which has a dodgy wiring harness (known about by Opel but not recalled), but I'm happy to ignore it and just reset the nag light before each MOT. Also, the VED is annoyingly high for the modest performance, but you can avoid that with a kitten murdering death-diesel.

As a car that you can just sling people and things into, it's... unobjectionable.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:55 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find your local car auctions. Go a few times and get an idea of prices, which cars are popular (dodgy dealers inc. will be after those) and which are silly cheap.

I bought my daughter a Citroen C5 diesel, 2005 plate with 50000 miles on the clock with 10 months MOT for £600. Big old beast that she can fit 2 bales of hay in the boot for her horses. At that price if it lasts to next MOT I'll be happy but I'm sure it will last beyond that.

I've bought loads at auctions and only had a couple of lemons which I have put straight back through and hardly lost anything.

My criteria for buying is a long MOT (9 months or over) and no warning lights on the dash. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 161 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3