Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Royal Enfield 650cc twin spotted

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:06 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Royal Enfield 650cc twin spotted Reply with quote

Kinda like, need to know prices. Not expecting a modern motorcycle, more like an existing EFI with 2 cylinders Smile

https://www.rushlane.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/royal-enfield-650-motorcycle-1-750x430.jpg

https://www.rushlane.com/royal-enfield-650cc-twins-spotted-12254482.html
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:15 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw this earlier too - at first I thought it would be a very viable choice if I ever come to replace my bullet; but on further reflection I would worry it loses some of the accessibility / usability the single has because it'll get a bit heavy, and bit less maneuverable and a bit less 'legover carefree'.

Obviously those points are all just Rainpal real world concerns, at the moment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:19 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/23334382_1015255621949496_6051223489710609422_o.png?oh=ca35752d9641dba356489829ca2acafa&oe=5AA3E265
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:22 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice to see that succeed.
Question is, who would buy it?
How many could be sold over here?

These days: needs more powaaar!

I like to see a bit more about it, just out of interest.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:27 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

"to be revealed at the 2017 EICMA Motorcycle Show in Milan"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sO4JTxrZmg

https://www.zigwheels.com/news-features/news/royal-enfield-650cc-twincylinder-engine-breaks-cover/29049/

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:06 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

People that buy (and love) Enfields. It's a weird thing, it really is. I'm suckered for mine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:10 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite fancy one. I'd like an old bike to tinker with but not at old Brit prices and spares are readily available for Enfields.

And I'd just prefer a twin to a single.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:06 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

People that buy (and love) Enfields. It's a weird thing, it really is. I'm suckered for mine.

I understand where you’re coming from sort of? However I would think Enfield are going to need a bigger market than that to make it viable surely?

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:01 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

I do have an itch for one of these, but I'm always put off by what people seem to think they are worth (more to them than to me, obviously!) when I do look at them.

Here's one I found amusing this morning - admittedly dealer pricing, but £2.5K for a 2004 (and the third cheapest on MCN):-
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bikes-for-sale/enfield/350-bullet/3501535/

But, ignoring the comedy pricing,

Quote:
We have a fabulous looking 2004(54) Royal Enfield Bullet 350 Bobber in Matt Black with Indian tank decals (because it's made in India)

The dealer has to be saying that tongue in cheek, doesn't he?

Back on topic, these could ride the current hipster trend if they can get the quality right so they stop being perceived as a quirky budget brand. Maybe the new UK R&D centre can help there.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:51 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:

I do have an itch for one of these, but I'm always put off by what people seem to think they are worth (more to them than to me, obviously!) when I do look at them.

Hipster tax on the bobbers etc. A standard ish bike can be had for 1500 quid - I only paid circa 3k for mine near brand new with 400 miles on the clock.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:55 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?q=enfield

Novelty numbers, despite them selling like gangbusters in India, and despite the good press they got from lovely, lovely Guy Martin doing that Indian jolly on one.

My usual whinge, dealers and lack of investment and marketing. Royal Enfield UK should have borrowed a sack of rupees from India, lashed together an advert like they lash together the bikes, and paid to air it during Guy's jolly. Just a simple ad with some hipster's beard blowing in the wind, saying "Hey, did you know that you can actually buy these things brand new in the UK? Book a test ride today."

But no, nothing. A total wasted opportunity of near KTM-ian proportions.

AFAICT, there's only one actual "Royal Enfield" dealer in the UK, in That London. The rest are just multi-marque Dodgy Dans. Since I got mine, the local "franchise" has moved twice, and is currently in the hands of a Benelli, Sym (hah, there is actually a "Joymax") and Keeway dealer.

Despite all that, they're actually a fairly low risk proposition compared to a random Whang Dong bike because of the strong support from Hitchcocks and the copious and ongoing cheap spares from India.

pepperami wrote:

The 900cc 2017 Bonneville is down to just 54hp. Top end is not what these bikes are for.

It could find a market, but they're never going to shift them in BMW or Triumph numbers until they sell them in dealers that open conversations with "Coffee?" rather than "What?"

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:33 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Twin is in

Well, about 60 years late, but better than never. Thumbs Up Razz

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:39 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is can be used taxi service for Dehradun?

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:36 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd buy one if it was well priced.

I like the idea of a Royal Enfield quite a lot.

The advantage of this one, if it ever actually happens is that with 50 odd bhp it would actually work as a 'real bike' in the UK. It's enough to do NSL speeds, it's enough for a bit of motorway, you can overtake...

I would seriously consider a 500 single if I had some cash spare, but I reckon this is a bit more real world usable without losing the 'charm' that makes me want one in the first place.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:51 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't knock the 500, that should handle nsl roads relatively comfortably, my 350 would happily cruise between 55 & 60, and you could puch it to 70, but, 1 you wouldn't want to, and 2, if you did, you wouldn't want to stay at that speed for long !!

Laughing Laughing

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:28 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://royalenfield.com/motorcycles/twins/images/gallery_banner.jpg

Interceptor and Continental GT now listed on the main site. My local dealer has mentioned prices are trying to be kept below £6k.

https://royalenfield.com/motorcycles/twins/

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:58 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loving the rear pegs on the Continental. Where will the pillion be sitting?

Disappointed as I am to hear that I've not been riding my 500 in the Real World, I have to say they look ...

Huh. Triumph Bonneville. There's no other way to say it. Upswept silencers on the Interceptor (I prefer the flat ones from the development bike), but other than that. Huh.

No nacelle, no headlight shade, no tank grips, bog standard forks... nope, I can't see much Enfieldish about them other than the big smooth engine casing.

Not Enfields, but a Bonneville for 2/3rs of the price of a Bonneville. A head to head might get interesting.

If they had the first idea about sales and marketing, I mean. Whistle

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:27 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to admit, I do quite like the look of them Thumbs Up

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:45 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

I was thinking ‘an Enfield with 47HP, that’ll be frightening’

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:58 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
My local dealer has mentioned prices are trying to be kept below £6k.

...and they've just updated their website, listed at £5999 Smile

I'll blag a test ride when the demo bikes arrive but, for me, the simplicity of the single is a large part of the appeal so it'll have to be something special to want to swap. Never say never, though Smile

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:02 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Don't knock the 500, that should handle nsl roads relatively comfortably, my 350 would happily cruise between 55 & 60, and you could puch it to 70, but, 1 you wouldn't want to, and 2, if you did, you wouldn't want to stay at that speed for long !!

Laughing Laughing

Not saying it woldn't do it, but I asked about one of the 500s on here about a year ago and the feedback was effectively 'think of it as a heavy, characterful 125'.

I reckon if I asked the same of this one in a few years it'd be 'It's a slow (big) bike with character'. That's a real difference I reckon in terms of practicality

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:28 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Despite all that, they're actually a fairly low risk proposition compared to a random Whang Dong bike because of the strong support from Hitchcocks and the copious and ongoing cheap spares from India.

It could find a market, but they're never going to shift them in BMW or Triumph numbers until they sell them in dealers that open conversations with "Coffee?" rather than "What?"

The dealers are the key to this imho.
Shit dealer provide shit service no matter how good the product is.

I have two bikes from the Eastern Asia region and both are serverly let down by the glaring lack of back up service in place.
It’s a shame as one of the bikes is a good bike imho.
Inferstructure is everything .

If the bike is good, it needs the dealer support to make it a success.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:58 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
The dealers are the key to this imho.
Shit dealer provide shit service no matter how good the product is.

Sure, but it's up to Royal Enfield to whom they sell.

At the moment it appears that they sell to multi-marque importer https://www.motogb.co.uk/ who then punts them on to anyone who fancies having a go.

That's not going to change until Royal Enfield decide to invest in their own import, dealer and support chain. The same applies to every Ching Chong manufacturer too - see CFMoto / WK for the prime example.

Incidentally, the Himalayan appears to be on eternal pre-order, unless anyone has managed to actually buy one. Reports from India suggest that it's more of a pup than a peach, so I wouldn't be in a hurry to be the first to take a gamble on a new model.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:51 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Sure, but it's up to Royal Enfield to whom they sell.

At the moment it appears that they sell to multi-marque importer https://www.motogb.co.uk/ who then punts them on to anyone who fancies having a go..

Hmmm! What you say about importers touches a nerve with me Crying or Very sad
Some importers just can’t be bothered to help customers keep a bike on the road or push to resolve shortcomings.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:53 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, despite the questionable nature of the Desperate Dan dealers Roger refers to, most Enfield owners seem to get honest work done by them, and parts are not in short supply.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 142 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2